Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvest Food Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

mozattack wrote: »
    Yum, burger after burger after burger after burger....... snooze.

or noodles, sausages, filled blahs, crepes, cupcakes or a loads of other foods. Say what you will, you must admit that in the harvest festival there is always a variety of foods on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Volunteers have been notified of where there are needed and what times.. as one of them I am delighted to be involved for the 3rd year!!

on a similar note, Winterval are having a volunteer meeting on tuesday in Dooleys hotel at 7pm or wed 18th at 11am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wan tew

think you'll need to explain

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Was in at harvest festival tonight,very poor amount of stalls - onlya handful of stall from Crystal to theToweHotel Junction.
    strolled across t Bolton Street to have a look at stalls and as it was 7.30they wanted a tenner each. No way was i paying
    forty euro for myself and three kids to look at stalls.

i noticed all the tents, and generators were supplied by a Dublin company MWhire. its a pity clem jacob did not get a
    look in , he is very good to look after local businesses.

Waterfordcity council should hang your head in shame that you would not give the business to local providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

moans3536 wrote: »
    Was in at harvest festival tonight,very poor amount of stalls - onlya handful of stall from Crystal to theToweHotel Junction.
    strolled across t Bolton Street to have a look at stalls and as it was 7.30they wanted a tenner each. No way was i paying
    forty euro for myself and three kids to look at stalls.

i noticed all the tents, and generators were supplied by a Dublin company MWhire. its a pity clem jacob did not get a
    look in , he is very good to look after local businesses.

Waterford city council should hang your head in shame that you would not give the business to local providers.

City Council want to make it a national Festival -
    and have forgotten cormac from Bodega,Clem Jacon Hire, Flash in Revolution,Catherine in Sabai, etc etc who made this festival - put in loads of time etc
    a Festival is About Community Pulling together, telling friends, have a Craic --- not Corporate Companise advertising in Dublin and Bringing Dublin rip off companies to Waterford
    Shame on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Someone to do with the festival responded to this on WLR this morning saying the price increase on the stalls was to accommodate the improvements to the area in terms of the overall decor but that they will learn from their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Who in the city council organised the employment of the dublin based events company?
    The whole thing just reaks of Wintervill again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

The whole thing just reeks of Waterford people doing what they do best - bitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Strolled down yesterday afternoon to pick up a sandwich/wrap for lunch and was a little surprised how much smaller it seems this year. Last year nearly the whole quay was utilised and this year it's from the Tower hotel junction to the House of Waterford Crystal for stalls and food outlets. Only food available at that point was a chicken wrap but they were looking for €7!!! You can get same for approx half the price 50 yards up the road in Viking Newsagents/ Deli. Mayby there is still stalls and places to be set up and opened for the weekend?

Heard good things about beer festival though and the area looks really well with the flags and giant chairs.

The Bolton street car park section is free until 7:30 each day. Kids are free but must be out by 9pm.

As for this "Dublin stealing our money shyt" most of the stalls from previous years were from outside the city and county. Plus it was on the radio that flash was offered a 50/50 deal on the bar but wouldn't do it.

• Advertisement

No, not most of the stalls were from out of town last year, I know because i was involved :)
    As for Flash being offered a 50/50 deal and it was broadcast ont he radio, I didnt hear about that, nor did flash mention it to me, so.. given that radio stations podcast, can you link me to what you heard please so i can judge myself?

There are plenty of local Events management company's that would have done the job and employed local people..
    Just like Winterval, everything was sourced from outside the city.. including traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

0rt wrote: »
    No, not most of the stalls were from out of town last year, I know because i was involved :)
    As for Flash being offered a 50/50 deal and it was broadcast ont he radio, I didnt hear about that, nor did flash mention it to me, so.. given that radio stations podcast, can you link me to what you heard please so i can judge myself?

There are plenty of local Events management company's that would have done the job and employed local people..
    Just like Winterval, everything was sourced from outside the city.. including traders.

Dublin Events Management Company, Dublin Marquees, Dublin Bar, Dublin Burger Stalls - and flash was not given 50;50 deal, and a city councillor asked at last monday nights meeting why so many Dublin companies, Lar Power said local companies did not tender! the truth is the only tender was for a PR company - there was no other tenders sought. I feel bad for local companies who built this festival and gave it their all - and now not even to be asked to tender for their own cities Business" SHAME!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The whole thing just reeks of Waterford people doing what they do best - bitching.

Not so. Waterford people are the salt of this Earth. A minority term their opinions as "bitching". And, in this instance, I believe they've got it right. I'll still support the Festival, but I'm not happy about what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'd usually agree with the majority of your posts Dicky, and Waterford does have it's fair share of moaners now and again, but imo people are well within their rights to have a pop at the lack of support for local suppliers at this years festival. It's called the 'Waterford Harvest Festival'.

Shur didn't it get off to a great start when they got the dates wrong on the signage! :p

6tEuHF.png

Im not even from waterford.. :D

https://www.facebook.com/ButlerstownMarket/posts/232092273610420

Butlerstown Farmers Market -
    "As many of our local traders have been pushed out of this year's Harvest Festival, we want to offer any trader without a place to trade this Saturday to come and set up a stall with us! Please get in touch! As a result, we're hoping the community embraces our local market showcasing local talent and visits us on Saturday from 10am - 3pm."

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pattern Welded Blaa

I traded in the Harvest festival from the start, but cannot afford to trade in it this year. There is just so much work involved in making enough product to pay for the chance of just being there that it's not worthwhile. The existing Festival wasn't broken, so why "fix" it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've enjoyed the Harvest Festival in the past but it's a poorer festival this year, very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Quite a disappointment this year. Nothing of the sense of scale experienced last year, nor anything approaching the numbers I would think. I cant pin it down exactly, but it felt less like an 'event' than last years, and more like a casual plonking of stalls at random - it took us well over an hour to walk the length of the quay last year, and by the time we reached the end, we were stuffed. Nothing caught my attention this year (nearly every stand was selling some variant of burger), and the beer tent was very underwhelming. Called out to my friend at Butlerstown earlier and got a far better range of stuff.

Actually, there were over 100 stalls last year, and other than the ones around the clock tower most were out of county.
    The thing about flash was mentioned by someone from the Harvest Commettee being interviewed last week, but feel free to ask Flash straight out. I can't find a podcast.

There are loads of Waterford people employed at the festival (from my visit i saw loads if clem jacob stuff in the park, the security are all Waterford and there is a whole section called slice of Waterford that is full) so its just a pity that some of local traders wouldn't take the chance on seeing if the changes would work.

I just hope that this isn't the last Harvest Festival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Myself and Mrs J went in this afternoon and again in the evening, to say we were disappointed is an understatement, the whole event is a big letdown when compared to previous years, (although the street furniture this year looks good) we did not buy any food, and ended back home cooking for ourselves.

I hope for the council's sake they have a performance clause built into their contract with the event organiser's so that they can at least reclaim some taxpayer's funds back.

Not me but 6 friends went to the "Dine in Style" event on Thursday and each one was extremely disappointed, they said the event was very badly organised and put together, with them been charged a hefty ticket price for only mediocre food.

Let's hope the event can make it through to next year and hopefully back to its homegrown roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I don't believe in bitching for the sake of it, that is, bitching without actually knowing all the facts.

However there can be no doubt that a bucket of mistakes have been made with this year's harvest festival. Here's the most recent...porterhouse didn't order enough metal man. Halfway through Saturday night and they have run out...

Metalman should have been the only beer there!
    Festival Ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I was annoyed at peoples negativity here before I took a trip down to the festival myself but my god what a let down. We were all in disbelief at the lack of food on offer. Whoever organised the food side of things needs to be held seriously responsible guys cause its a disgrace compared to previous years. Beer tent was cool and I'll be spending the day there tommorow so they better have metal man back in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I actually have to post again to stress how much of a disappointment this was this year. Previous years had me amazed and I imagined somethin bigger and better yet all we get is massive chairs with extremely underwhelming food.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Came home to Waterford from Dublin this weekend to go to the festival. I have to say I wasn't impressed at all.

I went into town around 2pm and walking down the mall, I was wondering where all the people were. I seriously thought I was only on the edge of the festival and everyone else was at some venue or something where the main event was.

I headed over to the car park and there were about 500 people there, no atmosphere and even the band who were fairly good (cant remember the name, something and papas I think) were trying to get the crowd going but it wasn't working. No atmosphere, people complaining about the lack of local suppliers (there were a few but not many) and people coming in, having a look around and leaving.

I spoke to a few people who I know and met in there and not one of them was happy with it. All were very disappointed and very unhappy a about what is supposed to be a Waterford festival being full of vendors not from Waterford and the common feeling is that the pricing structure being so high that it priced out local businesses being the main reason.

I seriously hope that whatever idiot(s) came up with the idea of outsourcing this to a company not from the area gets a serious kick up the ar*e and told to cop on and use some common sense.

Seriously, who the hell can turn someone that was so successful into a complete and utter failure??

I was going to go in again tonight, but after today, I didn't waste my time.
    Not impressed at all.

Does anyone know who was on the committee for organising this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

load.of.cock.

(hopes my comment gets selected for publication in some local newspaper reviewing the event)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I was planning to go down for the day Friday but after reading this thread the other day decided I would wait a few days when the festival was over. Only get to Waterford a few times a year because the **** public transport from North Tipp to there. Would rather go on a day that the city isn't taken over by Dubliners. It's the most beautiful city and county in Ireland and I love going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Just to give my little input - Everyone is kind of pretty quick to jump the gun without the facts saying that all Waterford companies were excluded.
    If it makes any difference I own a very small Waterford based company where because of the Harvest Festival I managed to give 12 People 3 days work in the run up to the festival. Yes it may have only been temporary but it just shows that not all Waterford companies were left out.
    At the end of the day I understand it would have been absolutely perfect and great for the locality if it was 100% Waterford businesses involved but unfortunately the money is not made from these events by picking one company over another purely because of where they are from.

• Advertisement

Metalman should have been the only beer there!
    Festival Ruined.

It would have been a very short night as The bar sold all the metalman that was brewed and available, they are after all a microbrewery.

There was a great buzz in the beer tent last night, it was full and the music was great

Advertisement