Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvest Food Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

7upfree wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Sully Moaning about streets being dug up to improve the overall area is not relevant to the food festival.
    It is HIGHLY relevant when people could be badly injured. Or does this not matter? Do you think people stayed on the Mall for the duration?

And it took from the City on the weekend.

I think the roadworks are relevant to the festival as according to the Harvest Festivals official brochure - Cathedral Square and the whole area around Christ Church was designated for "Local Producers" (As was the Mall)-

whf_2013_festival_map.jpg

This did not happen !!

I would assume this is partially down directly down to the fact the area in question (Baileys New St, Cathedral Sq, Henrietta St) are still dug up and part of it is down to the organisers not bringing in the "Local Producers" , but joking aside who plans a food festival for an area where all the paving and some of the adjoining streets are all dug up it sound like multiple departments and companies never communicated their intentions or work schedule to each other !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jambo wrote: »
    I think the roadworks are relevant to the festival as a....

I would assume this is partially down directly down to the fact the area in question (Baileys New St, Cathedral Sq, Henrietta St) are still dug up and part of it is down to the organisers not bringing in the "Local Producers" , but joking aside who plans a food festival for an area where all the paving and some of the adjoining streets are all dug up it sound like multiple departments and companies never communicated their intentions or work schedule to each other !

you'd swear they had it on baileys new street, people on here complaining about health and safety etc is bull. have it in the quay and people would complain that the main road into city is closed and all the car parks are gone. lessons to be learnt here alright but i dont think works in area has any big influence on any the success of festival. We as a county are tryin to push the VT as a cultural leisure destination for now and next few years at least, I think its a good idea to push that area, give a good impression, bring people back, close to park etc. Yeah, most people were down in the VT at weekend which may have taken from JR square area but bigger picture hopefully meant it drew and will draw more in in future.
    Id say 90% of what i spent went on local producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

Sully wrote: »
    Perhaps it might be best Flash represent himself and you can tell us at the same time which restaurant you run so we know your feelings as a local business person? We wouldn't want flash misrepresented through a third party either, so it might be best he came on himself (just a thought).

It might be better if someone from the Council came on to represent themselves. We wouldn't want the Council misrepresented through a third party either now, would we? Just a thought.

I was in around town on Saturday and you would have never known there was anything on unless you were down around the Mall. Leaving out the Quay and town centre was a bad move IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I assume if you found some sort of serious sight safety issue you reported it this morning to the council? These sites are strictly monitored and checked to ensure they are safe for both public and workers. The Health & Safety aspect of any construction is taken very very seriously.

Of course it was reported. FFS.
    Now you have repeatedly complained in the other thread about the Quays about the road works and how its such a bad time to do it, we get it. But lets keep this thread to the discussion about the Harvest Festival and not about a spin off unrelated topic about construction even if you can casually link the two. We don't need two threads bashing the road works.

There was no 'casual link'. This is directly connected. I spoke to a couple who had attended a show in the Museum. Then went to the Mall (unlit steps). Then went back to High Street for some dinner (via a building site which featured an unlit passageway through which only one person could pass at a time apparently).

A great showcase for the festival. And our City - NOT.

Jambo wrote: »

As I said earlier, no-one appears to be in overall charge of these works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Benimar wrote: »
    It might be better if someone from the Council came on to represent themselves. We wouldn't want the Council misrepresented through a third party either now, would we? Just a thought.

Good move! But flash is a local business person and we have no idea if what Jenny is saying is accurate. Whereas I have had direct confirmation about figures and facts already mentioned on local media (which flash didn't) and on here already. So I can confirm its accurate.

That's all I am getting at. I'm not defending either party but I do believe both parties need to be open and honest and the public should respect effort put in. I think most people know this by now about me.
    I was in around town on Saturday and you would have never known there was anything on unless you were down around the Mall. Leaving out the Quay and town centre was a bad move IMO.

Agreed, I didn't think it was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Anyone do Dine in the Dark?

Any good?

I did that at Taste of Dublin with three Irish Masterchef competitors cooking. Was brilliant.

Max Powers wrote: »
    you'd swear they had it on baileys new street, people on here complaining about health and safety etc is bull. have it in the quay and people would complain that the main road into city is closed and all the car parks are gone. lessons to be learnt here alright but i dont think works in area has any big influence on any the success of festival. We as a county are tryin to push the VT as a cultural leisure destination for now and next few years at least, I think its a good idea to push that area, give a good impression, bring people back, close to park etc. Yeah, most people were down in the VT at weekend which may have taken from JR square area but bigger picture hopefully meant it drew and will draw more in in future.
    Id say 90% of what i spent went on local producers.

The bigger picture is the City Centre. Neglecting it for the VT is folly. You must prioritise both equally. This is very basic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The bigger picture is the City Centre. Neglecting it for the VT is folly. You must prioritise both equally. This is very basic stuff.

Was your town planning a four or five year degree?
    pucks of money were spent on the centre over the last 20 years, for good or ill! Nothing was spent on the VT in100 years, and besides that it is a 5 to 10 year project to build a different USP for Waterford Inc. Not a shopping street but a tourist attraction that will lift all boats. Look at the big picture for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

All opinions valid in a debate without personal slights surely.
    My view is that VT (handy new shorthand - bet the purists will hate this) needed and deserves investment and will create a great TOURIST attraction. There is a mile long river front that is crying out to be exploited too - Tall Ships and the Harvest Fest showed how that key, free, amenity can be exploited. Most Cities large and small do this - Seine, Thames, even the Liffey but we see it as a car park. Harvest Fest was a proven model along the Quay - why change a winning formula. It could have been extended into The Mall area. Maybe when Cathedral Square and Baileys New Street are completed it could run from Clock Tower up to Plaza, into Greyfriars and into VT area via Cathedral Sq and around Bishops Palace. Bolton Street could still operate as the night-time venue for music and Beer Tent.

The VT area is almost complete from infrastructural investment - it'll be down to marketing then, meanwhile the 365 commercial centre needs to be supported - rising tide wont float sunken boats and many previous hulls of steel are holed below water or sunk already - Kelly's, the pubs, banks, boutiques, Benetton, Sherwoods etc etc

• Advertisement

Martin_D wrote: »

Point taken edited accordingly.mea culpa

The point should be made here on the harvest festival, Bolton street and the Mall are free to the Council, they have to pay very big money to the car park owners to close them for four days, as they own very little of our quays, a discussion for another thread but is valid in this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The point should be made here on the harvest festival, Bolton street and the Mall are free to the Council, they have to pay very big money to the car park owners to close them for four days, as they own very little of our quays, a discussion for another thread but is valid in this discussion.

Yes valid but how much did they pay for flood relief works that gave their business risk free status in more ways than one way. Also most of the car parking was in public ownership (previous port authority) until government created commercial port bodies. Yes a topic for another thread.

Martin_D wrote: »
    My view is that VT (handy new shorthand - bet the purists will hate this) needed and deserves investment and will create a great TOURIST attraction. There is a mile long river front that is crying out to be exploited too - Tall Ships and the Harvest Fest showed how that key, free, amenity can be exploited. Most Cities large and small do this - Seine, Thames, even the Liffey but we see it as a car park. Harvest Fest was a proven model along the Quay - why change a winning formula. It could have been extended into The Mall area. Maybe when Cathedral Square and Baileys New Street are completed it could run from Clock Tower up to Plaza, into Greyfriars and into VT area via Cathedral Sq and around Bishops Palace. Bolton Street could still operate as the night-time venue for music and Beer Tent.

The VT area is almost complete from infrastructural investment - it'll be down to marketing then, meanwhile the 365 commercial centre needs to be supported - rising tide wont float sunken boats and many previous hulls of steel are holed below water or sunk already - Kelly's, the pubs, banks, boutiques, Benetton, Sherwoods etc etc

Great, cant wait to hear the complaints then about closing the quay (you would have to to join the areas up safely), reduced access to quay car parks, gridlock on bridge st, complaints about greyfriars house access etc etc. everyone on here seems to think they know best.

There is a lot more infrastructural investment to go into the VT, just look at some of the houses down there that need serious renovation. A lot of this money will have to come from private sources probably.

Was your town planning a four or five year degree?
    pucks of money were spent on the centre over the last 20 years, for good or ill! Nothing was spent on the VT in100 years, and besides that it is a 5 to 10 year project to build a different USP for Waterford Inc. Not a shopping street but a tourist attraction that will lift all boats. Look at the big picture for once.

Yeah sure I only live here. Degrees? Don't make me laugh!!:D

Where have degrees gotten us in the past 30 years? They started digging up Barronstrand Street in 1984. They're still going.

A degree will indicate your level of intelligence. It may not necessarily indicate your level of common sense.

you'd swear they had it on baileys new street, people on here complaining about health and safety etc is bull.

Yeah you're probably right Max. Let's just forget about public safety altogether. What a "USP" THAT would make!!

A degree will indicate your level of intelligence. It may not necessarily indicate your level of common sense.

+1 on that one, now there's a first:D

Yeah you're probably right Max. Let's just forget about public safety altogether. What a "USP" THAT would make!!

thanks for the upper case, bold and quotations sarcasm. i would say any hazards around there were completely exaggerated, eg. unlit steps: im sure there were street lights in area no. as for building site; im sure there was a reasonable path made thru the area as I passed down thru cathedral sq recently and although the area of paving is a mess, it was all fenced off and i could walk just fine thru a guarded off area. People just looking for non-existent or petty complaints. the council spends a lot of time ensuring public safety at these things.

thanks for the upper case, bold and quotations sarcasm. i would say any hazards around there were completely exaggerated, eg. unlit steps: im sure there were street lights in area no. as for building site; im sure there was a reasonable path made thru the area as I passed down thru cathedral sq recently and although the area of paving is a mess, it was all fenced off and i could walk just fine thru a guarded off area. People just looking for non-existent or petty complaints. the council spends a lot of time ensuring public safety at these things.

Hmmm. "Non- existent & petty complaints".:rolleyes: Whatever floats your boat Max. But i'm sure Health & Safety personnel would have a very different outlook.

+1 on that one, now there's a first:D

Lol!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Hmmm. "Non- existent & petty complaints".:rolleyes: Whatever floats your boat Max. But i'm sure Health & Safety personnel would have a very different outlook.

As one of those H&S people i can tell you that all the works and events managed by the City Council meet and exceed all rule and regulations laid down by the state.

Anyone who feels different should pass there complaint immediately to the HSA who can and will investigate. But in my experience people who shout loudest about Health & Safety have no understanding of it, and when they have to work under a good Heath & Safety system will complain that it lacks "common sense", a statement which has alas killed and maimed too many people.

no, i am a H&S professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Anyone do Dine in the Dark?

no, i am a H&S professional.

Well then Max, all the more reason to take people's concerns seriously.

invalid wrote: »
    As one of those H&S people i can tell you that all the works and events managed by the City Council meet and exceed all rule and regulations laid down by the state.

Anyone who feels different should pass there complaint immediately to the HSA who can and will investigate. But in my experience people who shout loudest about Health & Safety have no understanding of it, and when they have to work under a good Heath & Safety system will complain that it lacks "common sense", a statement which has alas killed and maimed too many people.

You very obviously have not used the steps at the side of the Theatre Royal.

Great to see that some kind of spurt has been put under the Quay "works" in the past two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

You very obviously have not used the steps at the side of the Theatre Royal.

I use them every other day. What is wrong with them? They are steps.

When talking about risk and hazard, you must apply the term "reasonably practical" to your assessments. The steps at the theatre royal are old but what is reasonable or practical to do to them? If they make you nervous to walk on then don't. Your safety is you responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It's not exactly a step set of thin steps down the side of a cliff.
    It's Ireland's oldest city we should have more features like this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nypd wrote: »
    It's Ireland's oldest city we should have more features like this.

I'm working in Kilkenny at the moment and this is exactly what tourists love. There taking pictures down small lanes and while it makes me laugh a little, that's what they like as its completely different to what they are used to.

• Advertisement

Nypd wrote: »

Until you fall down it.

Advertisement