Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating Ich (white spot). How long?

Options
  • 27-08-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Finally got my new tank up and running and got two new fish to add to the mix (very small orlandas, I think they are called). Anyways a few days later I notice one of them has Ich so I whip him out of the tank (Juwel 60L) and put him in a spare 30L hex tank I had in the attic (thankfully before any of the other fish got contaminated :D )

I have treated him with "API" white spot cure, following instructions to the letter (1 tablespoon per 20 l of water, repeated 2 days later, 20% water change etc.). This was 2 weeks ago, and after 1st round of treatment he still had a few spots on his main fin, and lower left fin. I then gave another round of treatment and there are still some (tiny) spots on his lower fin. Apart from that he is flying around.

My question is are these spots active Ich or could they just be scars from his first bout. Am VERY reluctant to put him back into the main tank again, but bit unfair leaving him on his own, just getting treatment after treatment :(.

Advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It sounds as though that treatment isn't working. You may just have a strain that's immune to that type. I would recommend eSHa Exit for white spot. You could also add salt (1 tablespoon per 40l) and raise the temperature up to the high 20s. That speeds up the cycle of white spot and kills it off quicker.

What is the water quality like in your tank? There is usually an underlying reason for White Spot which is caused either by introducing a new fish or poor water quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Tropheus wrote: »
    It sounds as though that treatment isn't working. You may just have a strain that's immune to that type. I would recommend eSHa Exit for white spot. You could also add salt (1 tablespoon per 40l) and raise the temperature up to the high 20s. That speeds up the cycle of white spot and kills it off quicker.

What is the water quality like in your tank? There is usually an underlying reason for White Spot which is caused either by introducing a new fish or poor water quality.

Thank you for the speedy reply.

Water quality is fine. He was a new purchase and I believe the infection came from the shop (went back a week later and noticed quite a few of the cold water tanks were infected).

Excuse the ignorance but is it safe to raise the temperature to the high 20s for cold water fish (luckily I have a spare heater that came with the large tank, but do not need) :o?

After 20% water change tomorrow will add table salt and cross my fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Go to about 25c for cold water, but make sure the tank is well aerated. Try to avoid table salt with iodine in it. It's not great for the fish. Sea salt is best.

Advertisement