Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

what is the purpose of the family courts segment other than nosiness. Do they do it every week.

It's called journalism.

what is the purpose of the family courts segment other than nosiness. Do they do it every week.

Also journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Drifter50 wrote: »
    To prey on other peoples misfortunes...It really is intrusive and especially when that reporter visits courts outside of Dublin, he can be condescending when asking Billy from BallyX why did he do it

Or perhaps let the general public know how serial arse wipes and fat legal eagles are gaming the system, day after day.

Billy from BallyX doesn’t give a flying fuhhrke ,he will just continue he to game the system, waste Garda time, screw the taxpayer, fatten the lawyers, and be back in court in a week or two not a red cent poorer.

Misfortune my greasy nutpurse:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Or perhaps let the general public know how serial arse wipes and fat legal eagles are gaming the system, day after day.

Billy from BallyX doesn’t give a flying fuhhrke ,he will just continue he to game the system, waste Garda time, screw the taxpayer, fatten the lawyers, and be back in court in a week or two not a red cent poorer.

Misfortune my greasy nutpurse:mad:

Steady now, you may have a point about the revolving door syndrome for some misdemeanors but the home reposession stuff is hard to listen to without some sympathy at times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

She certainly has the same hypocritical attitudes to violence and "average industrial" wages that the rest of the Shinners.. She seems like a perfect fit for the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So the judge let him off because he wanted to see the pope

Did I actually hear that or is the heat getting to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Pretty interesting interview this morning with Pauline Tully, who is hoping to be the next Sinn Fein TD for Cavan.

1: Woman marries IRA man, who has assassinated a Garda, and is shocked, shocked, to discover that he's a violent psychopath. Doesn't say much about her judgement, IMO.

2: It emerged during the interview, and came as news to me, that Sinn Fein no longer has a policy of TDs only taking the average industrial wage. "That's a matter for negotiation", she says adding that the average industrial wage is not enough to live on.

Well wasn't that supposed to be the whole fúckin' point of taking the average industrial wage? To make TDs realise that it's not enough to live on so they'll be motivated to do something about it?

I've said for years that Sinn Féin are Fianna Fáil Nua. And as the referendum has shown, the Fianna Fail party are increasingly out of touch. It's no wonder Michael Martin is desperately fighting to keep his party alive before Sinn Fein wipe them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

After the next GE, when we have a FG/SF coalition, FF will know whats sticking to them!

So the judge let him off because he wanted to see the pope

Did I actually hear that or is the heat getting to me

Exactly.
    Paddy O'Gorman is worth his weight in gold.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Pretty interesting interview this morning with Pauline Tully, who is hoping to be the next Sinn Fein TD for Cavan.

Ill have to have a listen in.

I thought that Matt Carthy MEP was being set up as heir presumptive to retiring Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin.

Matt has had plenty of signs up all round the main roads of Cavan for "public meetings" on various subjects for at least the last year. He's keeping his profile up anyways.

** Indeed after checking Matt will run too, now can they get two seats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Total propaganda piece on refugees now on Sean O Rourke.

21 year old Syrian is as Irish as Sean apparently - he's a Corkman that can barely speak English.. funny how he just left his family in Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i thought it was more funny that given ALL the taxpayer funded virtue signalling NONE of these RTE broadcasters donated any of their multiple properties to the syrians -let alone opened their owns houses to em - and the ONLY lad they could find who actually did do the deed is a church or Ireland clergy man.

so much for the "progressives" in RTE.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

i thought it was more funny that given ALL the taxpayer funded virtue signalling NONE of these RTE broadcasters donated any of their multiple properties to the syrians -let alone opened their owns houses to em - and the ONLY lad they could find who actually did do the deed is a church or Ireland clergy man.

Don't see many signs of their beloved "diversity" reflected in the content of the RTE staff.
    Perfect example of their virtue signalling hypocrisy.
    Despite this the propaganda is relentless. Daily really.
    They have lost all their credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"€2,000 a week. Nice work if you can get it", says Sean who's on over €100,000 a year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

sligojoek wrote: »
    "€2,000 a week. Nice work if you can get it", says Sean who's on over €100,000 a year.

€290,000 apparently.

• Advertisement

Richard Boucher Hayes we are talking to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

There are many pro life groups out there. Google told me that. But I am sure they are intertwined with Iona anyway one way or another. Still....

I'm not sure that's quite true. There are doubtless overlaps and connections, but "intertwined" seems a bit strong. The PLC seems like a genuinely separate thing, plus there are all sorts of tiny ones that would keep you awake nights with the terrors. Like the anti-abortion Republican splinters, Justin Barrett's Black Shorts, Renua, and so on. You might have almost have forgotten that they existed, except that they suddenly popped up during the referendum campaign, with more money to spend on it than did some political parties with decent-sized groups in the Dáil. All most curious.

There does seem to be one highly connected little cluster, over at 6 Gardiner Place. Youth Defence, Rally for Life, The Life "Institute" -- not directly related to Iona, AFAIK, just another misuse of the same peacock term -- Pro Life Institute (another one!) Ltd, and of course, Save the 8th. (Did I miss any?) Either they're all essentially smoke and mirrors for the same people, or they're a very frugal lot, with most of them living in each others' kitchen presses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Miriam is sitting in for Sean for two months, starting Monday.

Genuinely. :D

https://extra.ie/2018/06/29/news/irish-news/miriam-ocallaghan-sean-orourke-rte

Miriam is sitting in for Sean for two months, starting Monday.

Genuinely. :D

https://extra.ie/2018/06/29/news/irish-news/miriam-ocallaghan-sean-orourke-rte

I'm surprised two months out is being described as a "career break". Surely the more traditional description would have been "nearly half Joe Duffy's annual leave"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

She’s taking a break from her summer TV chat show as ‘she has too much to do’

more like someones finally coped on that the format of the tv was a pile of poo and 3 shows of the same format was too much. or maybe its just nathan carter isnt available this summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

that cabbage needs watering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Alison o Connor was hard to listen to during Gathering chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Seàn starting holidays today.

Casually mentioned that he won't be back until.... AUTUMN!!!

Miriam O'Callaghan in the chair ón Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

We have Octmum to look forward to next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

ghiertal wrote: »
    THE former head of 2FM has been drafted in to help lighten the tone of Sean O'Rourke's new RTE Radio One show in the old Pat Kenny slot.

John McMahon has joined the mid-morning team at the station to provide a lifestyle element to the weekday show's content, as it prepares to go head-to-head with Newstalk defector Mr Kenny from next Monday.

"John is the man who made Ryan Tubridy a star; he's a serious operator and knows how to make something work well," a source told the Irish Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ex2fm-boss-drafted-in-to-lighten-up-orourke-slot-29527558.html

I find an awful lot of the commentary on Irish radio a bit silly and immature. (I had to edit this severely to keep it polite). Why is such slush tolerated? Pat Kenny is at least serious although he does tend to be biased.

Moncrieff on Newstalk is like listening to an 8 year old who has just started using a dictionary and his first encyclopedia. Why hasn`t someone told him to go play quietly in the corner and let a grownup do the broadcast? I am sure he is a lovely fellow and all that, but please, let us have something worth listening to!

padd b1975 wrote: »

Apparently not even Traditional autumn, either, more like Official autumn. As in, September, if I'm doing my sums right.

Moncrieff on Newstalk is like listening to an 8 year old who has just started using a dictionary and his first encyclopedia.

Only thing worth bothering about on the entire wretched station.

Moncrieff bills itself pretty overtly as a magazine show. If you were expecting the sort of fluffy, lightweight pretence at "current affairs" that the likes of PK do, well, his podcasts are available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Pity they didn't give the 2 month spell to Myles Dungan, always like it when he covered. Wonder how Miriam will be...

Break could be good for SOR too, he was sounding a bit jaded with everything of late...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

dulpit wrote: »
    Pity they didn't give the 2 month spell to Myles Dungan, always like it when he covered. Wonder how Miriam will be...

Break could be good for SOR too, he was sounding a bit jaded with everything of late...

Agree re Sean sounding jaded.

Seàn starting holidays today.

Miriam O'Callaghan in the chair ón Monday.

Padd..I’m disappointed in you.

How many times have I said its ,’teachers hours’ for these lads.

What’s happening today?..schools out fohhhhh Summmahh

Heat is gettin to ya?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sean away off to do the Camino with a donkey?

Agree with others re Sean sounding tired. I miss him from News at 1 where he could be concise, land a doozy of a punch and move onto next contestant.

His present show pads out a lot with Catholic church bulletin news and Public Sector in house news. Boring, niche and po-faced. It's got the bang of the Evening Press in 1978.

Miriam sitting in? All I can say is thanks for the warning.

Keeling Shanley's been a decent sub in the past.

How many times have we said, stop confusing 'hours' and 'length of holidays'.

Don't think there's many teachers on Seán's salary doing just ten "contact hours" per week.

Padd..I’m disappointed in you.

What’s happening today?..schools out fohhhhh Summmahh

Heat is gettin to ya?

Little discomfort brought on by friction in a certain region is not doing my humour many favours if I'm honest.... I lay the blame squarely at the door of some cheaply priced talcum powder that I sourced recently.

Should never have experimented.... not in this weather... I'll be paying a high price for the foreseeable if Met. Éireann are to be believed!

Little discomfort brought on by friction in a certain region is not doing my humour many favours if I'm honest.... I lay the blame squarely at the door of some cheaply priced talcum powder that I sourced recently.

Should never have experimented.... not in this weather... I'll be paying a high price for the foreseeable if Met. Éireann are to be believed!

Caldescene Powder Padd, worked well into the ……erm. …gutters and crinkles.

Was suffering myself, so half filled a gravy boat with caldo, dropped the cluster in leaving the helmet overhanging and gave her a good dust bath.

Put the gravy boat into the dishwasher ,with other stuff of course at high temp ,and she is good to go for her primary function again.

Nutbag is dry as a witches tit, Padd.

Apologies if a bit off topic but given the fine weather can only be topical.

Caldescene Powder Padd, worked well into the ……erm. …gutters and crinkles.

Was suffering myself, so half filled a gravy boat with caldo, dropped the cluster in leaving the helmet overhanging and gave her a good dust bath.

Put the gravy boat into the dishwasher ,with other stuff of course at high temp ,and she is good to go for her primary function again.

Nutbag is dry as a witches tit, Padd.

Apologies if a bit off topic but given the fine weather can only be topical.

Thanks for that Brendan, online reviews appear sound so I'll give it a try.
    Although I fear I will need something more spacious than a gravy boat-an aluminium bucket perhaps...

Sorry to get personal but did you remain hirsute during treatment?
    I can't really deal with any more distress after the week I've had.

Thanks for that Brendan, online reviews appear sound so I'll give it a try.
    Although I fear I will need something more spacious than a gravy boat-an aluminium bucket perhaps...

Sorry to get personal but did you remain hirsute during treatment?
    I can't really deal with any more distress after the week I've had.

Padd this will be the last input here as perhaps the mods might not think this is is on topic.

For what it’s worth held onto the thatch, just backcombed her up a bit and threw on a rubber band.

Reason for the gravy boat is she is shallow and the auld calc is pricey.

Lad I knew has one of these ‘puffers’ with a kind of rubber ‘bulb’ at the end and a chamber for powder..

Got set up on a chair spread the legs and got the lass to ‘spray’ the powder on the tackle.

Had to ‘seal’ the ‘badge’ with a strip of duck tape as the lass couldn’t stand ‘view’.

That’s about it, now apologies will have to concentrate on radio for now.

Hope the advice helped.

Padd this will be the last input here as perhaps the mods might not think this is is on topic.

Can't speak for the mods, but I've heard worse digressions on the radio channel in question. Never mind in threads discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I just heard Michael Martin's performance from the other day, when he was talking about FF supporting Michael D if he runs. Absolutely pathetic performance. I like Michael Martin, I think he's a decent man and I feel sorry for him with what happened to his little girl, but that performance was just pathetic. FF are backing Michael D, who he himself says hasn't said if he is actually going to run or not. But IF he does, we'll back him. How cowardly of them.

And he has no problem with the fact that Michael D lied the first time he got elected by saying that we should vote for him because he would only be a "one term president". It's not just him being "entitled to change his mind" as Martin said. It was framed that it was part of the contract for those who voted for him that he would not seek a second term. 

How can FF keep this man in charge for so long when he is such a poor performer?

How can FF keep this man in charge for so long when he is such a poor performer?

Probably because wise heads in the party recognise that Micheal is the only thing currently keeping them towards the centre. The likely candidates to replace him will all shift the party right, where they will have a strong dedicated base, but will never be able to be largest party...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Probably because wise heads in the party recognise that Micheal is the only thing currently keeping them towards the centre. The likely candidates to replace him will all shift the party right, where they will have a strong dedicated base, but will never be able to be largest party...

FF always saw themselves as a "catch all" party but it would appear we're moving inexorably to the European norm of Right V Left .... something the Labout party have long wished for but they might find SF putting a spanner in that!

Who're the likely candidates?

My guess is that if there were a change of leadership in the shorter term, the party would likely move back to the right on social/'moral' issues. There's not much of a future in it, but it's where the activists are at. If the elderly mass-going set can be said to be exactly 'active'. Not so much on economics/fiscal matters: there they'll stay the traditional mish-mash, maybe ever wandering faintly towards their "socialist" wing, to differentiate themselves from FG, and

In a sense we might indeed be going towards the European norm, where the three largest groupings are the broad left, the social conservatives, and the market liberals. Untidily, none of our three parties are in the "right" such European group by that analysis, mind you. (FG and FF have each got themselves in each other's, and SF are in with a bunch of randomers.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Politics forum that way folks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Depends just how far off to the right you're standing, seemingly.

Michael D is 77 ... you'd swear by the discussion he was 107. I know lots of 77 year olds who do not consider themselves old or past it and who are more active than many many half their age. As it happens I think he looks better and fitter now than he did during the last election campaign.

Vis-a-vis the gender discussion ... when Ml D was elected I remember my nephew (age 15 at the time) questioning how he could be president when he wasn't a woman! We are all influenced by what we see & when we see little or no women in positions of power unconsiously we are being conditioned to accept it as the norm.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Michael D is 77 ... you'd swear by the discussion he was 107. I know lots of 77 year olds who do not consider themselves old or past it and who are more active than many many half their age. As it happens I think he looks better and fitter now than he did during the last election campaign.

Vis-a-vis the gender discussion ... when Ml D was elected I remember my nephew (age 15 at the time) questioning how he could be president when he wasn't a woman! We are all influenced by what we see & when we see little or no women in positions of power unconsiously we are being conditioned to accept it as the norm.

Apologies wrong forum :o

• Advertisement

Months of Miriam ahead. Will be hard to listen to.
    They used to give newer broadcasters opportunities during the summer breaks.They

quintana76 wrote: »
    Months of Miriam ahead. Will be hard to listen to.
    But we're depending on you! Unless you hate-listen all the womenfolk and bleeding-heart liberals, where will we get our accustomed diet of "it's an outrage, not everyone on the radio is as reactionary as my taste demands" comments?

Listened to a bit of Miriam. Will take a bit of getting used to... Noticed that they have recorded today with Miriam stings, don't remember them doing that for any other fill ins...

Listened to a bit of Miriam. Will take a bit of getting used to... Noticed that they have recorded today with Miriam stings, don't remember them doing that for any other fill ins...

Interesting! Of course she's a planned replacement for two(?) months, so not entirely illogical. But at this stage PBH seems to do Duffy's show more than he does, but he's still stuck with those "Joooooooooooe Duffy" idents, and even the Incumbent Rector's email address.

Warming us up for a longer-term reshuffle?

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Interesting! Of course she's a planned replacement for two(?) months, so not entirely illogical. But at this stage PBH seems to do Duffy's show more than he does, but he's still stuck with those "Joooooooooooe Duffy" idents, and even the Incumbent Rector's email address.

Warming us up for a longer-term reshuffle?

No definitely not...just ensuring teachers hours for the ‘stars’.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement