Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

teachers hours.

Please refer back to previous explainer on this particular hackneyed slur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Miriam is very hard listening. It's like she's taken her Sunday morning fluff show to the SOR slot. And the way she keeps "mmm"ing is unbelievably hesdwrecking. Long summer ahead for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

dulpit wrote: »
    Miriam is very hard listening. It's like she's taken her Sunday morning fluff show to the SOR slot. And the way she keeps "mmm"ing is unbelievably hesdwrecking. Long summer ahead for this...

Oh Lord I find that so annoying :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Sean o rourke had 6 weeks off last summer, and now a full 2 months off again. RTE going back to the bad old days of shutting down for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Badabing wrote: »
    Sean o rourke had 6 weeks off last summer, and now a full 2 months off again. RTE going back to the bad old days of shutting down for the summer.

They never left..

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

They now think they can get away with it again because the economy has improved. Doesn't seem to matter that RTE's finances are disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

dulpit wrote: »

I was very busy at work this week, but the bits i heard were desperately bad. She was really really bad. Did any one notice, they arnt using the" call sean o'rourke " the way the stand in presenters on other shows do, this has " Call Miriam O'Callaghan @....."

Guess it must pay to have connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

I was very busy at work this week, but the bits i heard were desperately bad. She was really really bad. Did any one notice, they arnt using the" call sean o'rourke " the way the stand in presenters on other shows do, this has " Call Miriam O'Callaghan @....."

Guess it must pay to have connections

Yes, I noticed that too. I thought it was a no no when subbing for a regular presenter that you use your own twitter handle

I did a real double-take when I saw the programme referred to as "Today with Miriam", which struck me as taking the mononymic thing a bit far, when the regular presenter uses his whole name in the title. (Though it does seem to "officially" be "Today with Miriam O'Callaghan", if the RTE website is to be believed. (As it often isn't.))

Did any one notice, they arnt using the" call sean o'rourke " the way the stand in presenters on other shows do, this has " Call Miriam O'Callaghan @....."

I think it's pretty ad hoc. PBH was at one point using his own Twitter handle, and Joe Duffy's email address. Might largely be a matter of which researcher/producer is manning which account...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They also play the "Talk to Joe" jingle when PBH is on.

sligojoek wrote: »
    They also play the "Talk to Joe" jingle when PBH is on.

And often callers then address him as "Joe", making you wonder if the producers bother explaining this detail before they put them on. Or indeed, if they're the sharpest doughnuts in the box. (Mrrm, lemony.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are we talking about Miriam stuff on this thread?

Barry Glendenning sounds a lot brisker and less lugubrious on this than he does on Guardian Football Weekly. Maybe it's a morose Irishman act on the latter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

dulpit wrote:

It's not only that though?

It IS going to be a long summer?

All these interviews?

Especially with a prime waffler like the Minister for Justice who was on today?

She's sometimes unbearable?

She's in her mid fifties I would think?

Old enough not to be talking like an American teenager?

Ending her sentences with a rising intonation?

Like really?

When is Sean back.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Especially with a prime waffler like the Minister for Justice who was on today?
    He's chronic. Imagine being in a meeting in the North, back when he was in Foreign, and Brokenshire, a chap with a very similar complaint, were in charge. You'd almost feel sorry for them.

Almost.
    When is Sean back.

When someone says "career break" of two months, you can't help wonder if it means on the one hand, "too embarrassed to say 'eight or nine weeks of solid holidays", or on the other "might not be back at all".

I noticed while they're playing the Mononymic Miriam sting (if that's the right term), and floating her twitter handle out there, they're also using mentioning the SOR twitter, and the SOR email address. So I think it's really the usual shambles, rather than a hugely dramatic rebrand.

alaimacerc wrote:
    He's chronic. Imagine being in a meeting in the North, back when he was in Foreign, and Brokenshire, a chap with a very similar complaint, were in charge. You'd almost feel sorry for them.

I don't even know his name. Who is he? Another waffler is that blondey young one who stands beside Simon at European summits or whatever. I was squirming when she was interviewed by the BBC at length about Europe. She's the daughter of a TD who died tragically some time ago. What must people outside of Ireland think of family dynasties in Irish politics! M G Quinn is another one. Father a TD. A primary school teacher who ended up in Europe as an accountant or auditor of something or other. A commissioner of Finance or something?

I don't even know his name. Who is he?
    Charlie Flanagan.
    Another waffler is that blondey young one who stands beside Simon at European summits or whatever. I was squirming when she was interviewed by the BBC at length about Europe.
    I assume that's Helen McEntee you're meaning, who's the EU Junior Minister. Possibly the interview she did on Newsnight? I'd hardly put her in the same class of waffler as Brokenshire and Flanagan, but sure, she's only young!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't even know his name. Who is he? Another waffler is that blondey young one who stands beside Simon at European summits or whatever. I was squirming when she was interviewed by the BBC at length about Europe. She's the daughter of a TD who died tragically some time ago. What must people outside of Ireland think of family dynasties in Irish politics! M G Quinn is another one. Father a TD. A primary school teacher who ended up in Europe as an accountant or auditor of something or other. A commissioner of Finance or something?

I expect they would be amazed.

To discover that there is someone who does not appear to know that politics is a family trade the world over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_families

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What must people outside of Ireland think of family dynasties in Irish politics!

I'm sure hispster icon Justin Trudeau would be appalled at our backwardness...

I'm sure hispster icon Justin Trudeau would be appalled at our backwardness...

A fair point but in Ireland this is pervasive. How many times and in how many different constituencies has this happened. I was actually thinking of England and how different their system is. Notable Englishman Enoch Powell represented an Ulster constituency. Many MPs represent constituencies they hardly know. Safe seats. This is unheard of in Ireland.

List of political families in the UK. Much worse than in Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_families_in_the_United_Kingdom

List of political families in the UK. Much worse than in Ireland.

This list is extensive I have to say. Not clear if sons etc succeeded parents to same constituency as is the norm pretty much here.

This list is extensive I have to say. Not clear if sons etc succeeded parents to same constituency as is the norm pretty much here.

Is it the norm? How many cases do you know of?

Is it the norm? How many cases do you know of?

I don't know really. There quite a lot of sons and daughters inheriting the seat of their parents especially in rural areas. In the UK as per the list quite a lot inherit also. I am not too sure if they go through the same constituency or not.

• Advertisement

There are only 40 constituencies in Ireland with our PR system. So the choice is limited.

There are 650 single seat constituencies in Westminster, so much more scope to farm out family to safe seats. For instance, Stephen Kinnock, son of Neil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,594 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its usually worse in England - they can go to another constituency and get voted in because of the colour of their rosette and name; possibly while Mammy or Daddy is still an MP!

Direct parent-child replacements are so common nobody has bothered doing a list.

Decent number of husband/wife MPs also whereas it is extremely rare with TDs. 5 at the moment, also 3 where one partner has lost their seat.

Greece has been run by grandfather-father-son Prime Ministers; it happens everywhere.

L1011 wrote:
    Its usually worse in England - they can go to another constituency and get voted in because of the colour of their rosette and name; possibly while Mammy or Daddy is still an MP!

Yes indeed. But that's very rare in Ireland. Sons/daughters usually succeed to the same constituency. Not only can British MPs sail along to other constituencies they even have managed to go BETWEEN countries. Powell as above. Gladstone himself tried for Kilkenny ( I think). Also, but I could be wrong but do MPs even live in the constituency they represent? Blair represented Newcastle or Leeds?

Yes indeed. But that's very rare in Ireland. Sons/daughters usually succeed to the same constituency. Not only can British MPs sail along to other constituencies they even have managed to go BETWEEN countries. Powell as above. Gladstone himself tried for Kilkenny ( I think). Also, but I could be wrong but do MPs even live in the constituency they represent? Blair represented Newcastle or Leeds?

Sons/daughters here get elected by people that know them, usually they've been councillors beforehand etc. UK system allows you to get elected on who your parent is hundreds of miles away.

Blair was from Durham and represented a constituency in County Durham, so actually extremely nearby. That's actually rare.

L1011 wrote: »
    I suppose that depends if you consider voting on party lines "worse" than on "does a lot of good for the area" ones.
    Direct parent-child replacements are so common nobody has bothered doing a list.
    For the UK, we've literally just had someone post a list. Here's one for Ireland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Families_in_the_Oireachtas

Pretty lengthy, considering the state is a tenth of the size of the UK, their list goes back to the 16th century, and some of them are formally hereditary positions (i.e., sitting in the Lords).
    Decent number of husband/wife MPs also whereas it is extremely rare with TDs.
    It would be a stretch to call that "dynastic". As they're necessarily elected at the same time, in different places, kinda the opposite, really.

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I suppose that depends if you consider voting on party lines "worse" than on "does a lot of good for the area" ones.

When you get situations like the Isle of Wight where they ended up re-electing a proven corrupt, utterly useless MP (for the most populous constituency in the UK) just because he had a blue rosette and I'll take actually doing their job over that, thanks...
    For the UK, we've literally just had someone post a list.

Which isn't complete and is extremely difficult to parse.
    It would be a stretch to call that "dynastic". As they're necessarily elected at the same time, in different places, kinda the opposite, really.

In some cases one partner is elected solely on the others name, though

My point is that, like the deluded idea that Ireland is extra-specially corrupt - we are no worse than other countries here, and it is rather odd to even think that when our nearest neighbour has been the same for centuries.

When you get situations like the Isle of Wight where they ended up re-electing a proven corrupt, utterly useless MP (for the most populous constituency in the UK) just because he had a blue rosette and I'll take actually doing their job over that, thanks...
    Yeah, I mean, nothing like that would ever happen in Ireland...

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/lowrys-move-profoundly-corrupt-26716067.html
    My point is that, like the deluded idea that Ireland is extra-specially corrupt - we are no worse than other countries here, and it is rather odd to even think that when our nearest neighbour has been the same for centuries.

i.e. your point is to pivot from the original one, which is that Ireland's politics is extra-specially dynastic.

The answer to the original question (What must people outside of Ireland think of family dynasties in Irish politics!) is that they don't know and they don't care.

i.e. your point is to pivot from the original one, which is that Ireland's politics is extra-specially dynastic.

But it simply isn't. Politics is dynastic worldwide, it is no more so here than anywhere else.

But it simply isn't. Politics is dynastic worldwide, it is no more so here than anywhere else.

I think it's at any rate been demonstrated that it's more dynastic here than in the UK, not least by the sheer "butbutbut, I think the UK system is too partisan, and is anecdotally corrupt in other ways!" whataboutery.

Where Ireland ranks in world terms I couldn't say. Feel free to wheel out the hilarious old "not fair to be judging ourselves against northern Europe, compared to Club Med, we're just great!" line.

The answer to the original question (What must people outside of Ireland think of family dynasties in Irish politics!) is that they don't know and they don't care.

Very good. You've bracket-fired the target with on the one hand, tangenting from it completely, and on the other, taking it excessively literally. Care to try and actually hit it?

Next week there's a fill-in for the fill-in! O.O And worse, it's Damien O'Reilly, the only person able to lower the tone on Liveline.

BU BU BU BU BU BUT I thought Joe was here all summer.

EDIT: Sorry I thought it was the Liveline thread.

BU BU BU BU BU BUT I thought Joe was here all summer.

EDIT: Sorry I thought it was the Liveline thread.

Sorry, I made that unnecessarily convoluted. Just couldn't help pointing out his record as a serial filler-inner!

Sorry, I made that unnecessarily convoluted. Just couldn't help pointing out his record as a serial filler-inner!

Always the bridesmaid never the bride.

• Advertisement

Always the bridesmaid never the bride.

He does get his own special time on CulchieWide. But I know in advance when to avoid that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What's the point of getting a fill-in for the summer, if they also take time off?

Go get Myles Dungan or Cormac Ó hEadhra and get them to fill in for the whole summer please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Classic one from PBH this morning:

"This is PBH filling in for Miriam, filling in for Sean" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

serfboard wrote: »

I heard that too, I said to myself Ouch when he said it.

Similiar to Phil Cawley introducing himself on Today FM, " Hello this is Fill in Phil with you today"

serfboard wrote: »

Fake news! Announced replacement (for the replacement) was someone else entirely. Soooo, it should have been...

"This is PBH filling in for Damien O'Reilly, filling in for Miriam, filling in for Sean."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Eight kids and no means of supporting them. Well done, well done.
    And forget how HE is, ask her how are his victims?

Hoping against hope that PBH might be pulling a double shift, but fear that Liveline might be getting presented by Joe Duffy filling in for a decent presenter filling in for Joe Duffy.

Listened back on the website for today's show. Notice the URL:
    RTE wrote:

Then the billed title:
    RTE wrote:
    Today with Miriam O'Callaghan

And lastly the blurb.
    RTE wrote:
    The mid-morning current affairs magazine with the stories of the day, sharp analysis, sports coverage, in-depth features and consumer interest. Presented by Philip Boucher-Hayes

Talk about yer basic identity crisis...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I didn't think Mr Craughwell had a snowballs chance in hell but I don't see why the requirement for 4 councils or 20 senators?
    Why can't anyone, once they meet the criteria, throw their hat in the ring?
    Just another way of keeping things within the "insider circle"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement