Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Callan57 wrote: »
    I didn't think Mr Craughwell had a snowballs chance in hell but I don't see why the requirement for 4 councils or 20 senators?
    Why can't anyone, once they meet the criteria, throw their hat in the ring?
    Just another way of keeping things within the "insider circle"?

What criteria would you set though? There's a threshold for all elections, admittedly the president has a high bar, but to be fair - if you can't attract 4 councils or 20 members of Oireachtas, what does that say about your chances in general election?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

dulpit wrote: »
    What criteria would you set though? There's a threshold for all elections, admittedly the president has a high bar, but to be fair - if you can't attract 4 councils or 20 members of Oireachtas, what does that say about your chances in general election?

I think it's that you have to be 35 & a resident citizen. My query is what odds if someone wants to put themselves forward, its their time & money so why not let them at it? Whether you have a chance or not should be irrelevant to your right to put your name on the ballot paper IMO

Anyway I don't think it is very democratic when unelected Senators can debar someone from running for an elected office?

I think it's that you have to be 35 & a resident citizen. My query is what odds if someone wants to put themselves forward, its their time & money so why not let them at it? Whether you have a chance or not should be irrelevant to your right to put your name on the ballot paper IMO
    I might be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that if you run in an election you are entitled to a split of the coverage equal to the number of candidates (as per referendums and equal coverage). So with no backing you could be a 50:50 share of the coverage (if only 2 ran). Also you're entitled to tax payers funding if you reach a certain threshold of the vote (but if you reach that, then no issues).
    Anyway I don't think it is very democratic when unelected Senators can debar someone from running for an elected office?

Only 11 senators are unelected. The rest are elected, just with a very restrictive electorate.

Also, the sighing and hmm/mmm-ing by Miriam is very hard to listen to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

As the Americans would say, it's Radio 101. You don't do on the radio what you would do in real life - like giving someone feedback by making sounds. Instead, you nod your head.

This shouldn't need to be explained to an experienced broadcaster ...

• Advertisement

It's getting worse. Today's was atrocious... Every second sentence from a contributor, Miriam was mmm..

Also, anyone reckon there's a bit of needle between Paddy O'Gorman and Miriam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It's getting worse. Today's was atrocious... Every second sentence from a contributor, Miriam was mmm..

Also, anyone reckon there's a bit of needle between Paddy O'Gorman and Miriam?

She said twice to him lately “oh your segment allows us to hear voices we never hear otherwise” or something like that. It came across as condescending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Paddy is like an envoy from a distant land when he lands in Montrose.
    Most of them don't get the value of his contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I can't listen to Meeeriam at all. Her faux saccharine sweetness is nauseating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

sligojoek wrote: »
    I can't listen to Meeeriam at all. Her faux saccharine sweetness is nauseating.

Yass, and the waiy she talks through her nause with her gasts really gats to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

She certainly does`nt seem to like Paddy O`Gorman, I reckon she thinks it is beneath the standard.

She also shows scant regard for the 11am News, its slipped a couple of times to 11.02 / 11.04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Kinda odd interview with Emma re cervical cancer this morning. Not sure what to make of it at all. She's now buying a property in Dublin, as a result presumably of recent court award. What sort of precedents are being set here, instant pay outs to anyone who feels they've been failed by the HSE? Great for Emma, but.....?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Kinda odd interview with Emma re cervical cancer this morning. Not sure what to make of it at all. She's now buying a property in Dublin, as a result presumably of recent court award. What sort of precedents are being set here, instant pay outs to anyone who feels they've been failed by the HSE? Great for Emma, but.....?

Yes indeed, and I`m trying to be careful here but what on earth is the comedian gig about. Something she wanted to do all her life,not sure if she is being well advised here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I didn't think Mr Craughwell had a snowballs chance in hell but I don't see why the requirement for 4 councils or 20 senators?
    Why can't anyone, once they meet the criteria, throw their hat in the ring?
    Just another way of keeping things within the "insider circle"?

I agree totally. When Dev drafted the presidential provisions in the constitution he had just one person in mind for the job. It is wrong that good contenders should have to rely on the grace and favour of four county councils for a nomination. I believe anyone nominated by one county councillor or one member of the Oireachtas should be permitted to stand and take their chances with the electorate. I would limit it to that to keep out Dustin and other assóles.

The guy standing in today in the 10 to 12 slot introduces himself " Hi, I`m David Cooke standing in for Miriam !!!!!!

Whats happened to the Sean O`Rourke show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Drifter50 wrote: »
    The guy standing in today in the 10 to 12 slot introduces himself " Hi, I`m David Cooke standing in for Miriam !!!!!!

Whats happened to the Sean O`Rourke show

John Cooke, I think -- knew the voice, couldn't have told you the name, so I'm not 100%.

Really, though, he's standing in for PBH (who's instead standing in for Joe right now), who was standing in for Damian O'Reilly -- who was announced as the cover for Miriam, but never showed, heard passing mention he might have been unwell -- who is of course replacing Sean during his "career break". And he took over from Pat the Plank, keeping the same slot, format, and programme base name.

Not just senators, 20 reps from either the Dáil or the Seanad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

alaimacerc wrote: »
    John Cooke, I think -- knew the voice, couldn't have told you the name, so I'm not 100%.

Really, though, he's standing in for PBH (who's instead standing in for Joe right now), who was standing in for Damian O'Reilly -- who was announced as the cover for Miriam, but never showed, heard passing mention he might have been unwell -- who is of course replacing Sean during his "career break". And he took over from Pat the Plank, keeping the same slot, format, and programme base name.

Indeed, would the real Pat Kenny, please stand up.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Indeed, would the real Pat Kenny, please stand up.

I'm not as hair-shirt about my current-affairs consumption as an ex-colleague, who'd monitor himself for signs of being "entertained" by it, and if he was, switch off immediately. But that slot does have notions of being "news and current affairs" -- PK played that "sting" incessantly, notwithstanding all sorts of fluffy crap being on his glorified magazine programme. So isn't an odd look to have the (often non-)presenter's name in the title anyway? (Yes, I know the Yanks do the same thing with actual "hard news" programming. And then their "With Important Person" shows end up being presented by someone else, too.)

"10am-12noon: Today With Whoever Turns Up At the Mic."

Does anyone know when SO'R is back? I listen to show on podcast, and have been skipping over more and more since he left, I can't hack Miriam's sighing, finishing other person's sentences and general lack of interest in poor Paddy O'Gorman. And the less said about the replacing the replacement's replacement the better. RTÉ usually do much better with this show, even during summer. This has been an awful slog to listen to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

He's due back sometime in the Autumn, on extended leave at the moment
    https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/tv-film/sean-orourke-taking-extended-break-12832638

And the less said about the replacing the replacement's replacement the better.

I think you missed a replacement or two.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was in the car at 10 this morning so limited alternatives. I'd usually avoid Miriam at all costs. So I caught the 1st 5 minutes. I jennnnyouiinelee thought it was someone doing a parody of her.

Has she ramped up that accent to 11 or was it always *that* bad?

I'll be more careful to have my Bluetooth connected next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I had been wondering if Sean o Rourke had had a Larry gogan moment as I'd gathered he wasn't there for a few weeks now. I used to like listening to Sean as he could do the serious stuff but could also lighten up things when required better that young Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Does anyone know when SO'R is back? I listen to show on podcast, and have been skipping over more and more since he left, I can't hack Miriam's sighing, finishing other person's sentences and general lack of interest in poor Paddy O'Gorman. And the less said about the replacing the replacement's replacement the better. RTÉ usually do much better with this show, even during summer. This has been an awful slog to listen to now.

Paddy O knows how to pick them alright.

He stood outside a social welfare office the other day.
    Sad sad stuff, the usual auld ****e you'd only get there.
    "I'm entitled, I'm depressed...."

Etc etc

I thought she was interested enough, not presidential-hopeful enough maybe!

Prediction: SOR to be replaced entirely by Miriam.
    SOR to move to Primetime.
    I thought Miriam zipped along alright as standin.
    Sounded like she had some different topics as well.

imme wrote: »
    Paddy O knows how to pick them alright.

He stood outside a social welfare office the other day.
    Sad sad stuff, the usual auld ****e you'd only get there.
    "I'm entitled, I'm depressed...."

Etc etc

I thought she was interested enough, not presidential-hopeful enough maybe!

Prediction: SOR to be replaced entirely by Miriam.
    SOR to move to Primetime.
    I thought Miriam zipped along alright as standin.
    Sounded like she had some different topics as well.

Nah, won’t happen, Meeeeeriam won’t hack it outside the leafy suburbs.

That nasal delivery and irritating D4 accent will ‘fauuukus’ the ‘mooinds’of the license payers.

And they will say........neeeeeeeeauuuu:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The irony that this World Meeting of Families will be attended, in the main, by the very type of families that were the targets of abusive priests & religous. Stockholm syndrome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Margaret Cash on with Miriam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Margaret Cash on with Miriam.
    Only caught the last couple of minutes of it - the bit I heard surely didn't sound like the most incisive interview ever held :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Only caught the last couple of minutes of it - the bit I heard surely didn't sound like the most incisive interview ever held :rolleyes:

No probing questions whatsoever & Mir only read out supportive texts.

Icsics wrote: »

Very disappointed in that interview. Miriam is normally a lot harder but this sounded like an edited puff piece.

Very disappointed in that interview. Miriam is normally a lot harder but this sounded like an edited puff piece.
    I haven't heard the interview yet, but she's been awful soft on the radio all summer since she's taken over from SOR... More of the same it would seem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Icsics wrote:

Probing about what! Her sex life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness to Miriam she did ask her why she had six kids and would she look for work when she got her new place. However she didn't push her on it when she avoided the questions.

I think she got it right.
    It was a balanced interview with a private individual.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »

Fox news balanced more like!!!!

You see, this is the situation, these media types love to appear ‘hard’ to ‘the man’ the establishment like, those who have to implement things.

When it comes to other stuff they are wary of their image and public popularity, which, in my opinion,is why Meeriam didn’t delve as deep as she should have.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander like.

Remember the Liam Miller controversy?

All the politicos especially in Coe-erk hopped on the ‘agin the GAA bandwagon’,watching the big picture for their own popularity.

Media people are no different.

She seemed to take a few pops at John Halligan yesterday re. gambling tax, so she's well able - maybe previous poster is correct?

Maybe I'm imagining it, but she came across as patronising of Paddy O'Gorman with his piece yesterday re. the Burka, something about meeting different people.

Is SOR back yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

elperello wrote: »

She ceased to be a private individual when she went public with this blatant publicity stunt. As a private individual who pays for everything, I'd like more questions to be asked of people like Margaret Cash. Our taxes are paying for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Probing about what! Her sex life?

Her massive sense of entitlement.

Her criminal record.

Her giving birth to seven children and demanding someone else pays for their them and 100% of their accomodation.

Her having already turned down an offer of a home.

And many more.

• Advertisement

She ceased to be a private individual when she went public with this blatant publicity stunt. As a private individual who pays for everything, I'd like more questions to be asked of people like Margaret Cash. Our taxes are paying for this.

I think it's best to save the hard questioning for politicians, civil servants, lobby groups, representative groups and such like.

I would award no kudos to a journalist for leaning on an ordinary citizen in a difficult situation who is just doing the best they can to get out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I didn't hear that whole interview but I heard her list off a load of things she felt she was "entitled" to.

If Meeeriam was any good she'd have asked about the entitlements of the people who owned the stolen goods Margaret Cash was caught carrying in her car in wexford.

So she saved up for her daughter's communion dress. Saved up from what, exactly? Becaues if she's surviving on welfare only with that amount of kids she must have been saving since the child was born. I have 4 children and was on the dole for two years, Believe me you'll save for nothing when you're in that situation.

sligojoek wrote:
    So she saved up for her daughter's communion dress. Saved up from what, exactly? Becaues if she's surviving on welfare only with that amount of kids she must have been saving since the child was born. I have 4 children and was on the dole for two years, Believe me you'll save for nothing when you're in that situation.

Someone that lived on social welfare for 2 years attacking another person on welfare. This is where we are now.

Someone that lived on social welfare for 2 years attacking another person on welfare. This is where we are now.

Bulldust my friend,the person is gaming the system, screwing the taxpayer.

That’s not what the social welfare system was set up for .

The lad is perfectly right to highlight this gross abuse, pity is that more haven’t the balls to do so.

This country would be a better place then, in my opinion and those that are genuine would be better supported if those intent on riding John Q Taxpayer ragged were called out for what they are, leeches on society.

What's adding insult to injury is the news report today that they want to make taxpayers pay more PRSI to boost the social welfare coffers.

What's adding insult to injury is the news report today that they want to make taxpayers pay more PRSI to boost the social welfare coffers.

Middle Ireland won’t accept that UH, do not panic.

The squats will always play the ‘bully’ card but they were badly found out in the Tallaght Garda Station set up.

Sure there are a lot of things wrong with the current situation, but horsing more taxpayers dosh into a black hole won’t solve it.

The lad is perfectly right to highlight this gross abuse, pity is that more haven’t the balls to do so.

The above poster said he was living on the dole for 2 years! Doesn't your type not criticise that?

What's wrong with being on the dole when you come back off it and get a job? I'll be crowned Miss World before Margaret Cash does an honest day's work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For the silly season I move to LBC or R4. Cannot stand MOC sorry it is probably just me.

I will listen to Newstalk if Ciaran Cuddihy is standing in, but with due respect, not when the other fella from Cork is doing it. He seems to try too hard, Jonathon Healy.

I know this thread is about SOR, but things have a habit of morphing!

What's wrong with being on the dole when you come back off it and get a job? I'll be crowned Miss World before Margaret Cash does an honest day's work.

Exactly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement