Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Someone that lived on social welfare for 2 years attacking another person on welfare. This is where we are now.

Where are we now?

I didn't attack anyone. I asked a question. How could she save up for an expensive communion dress when n the dole with 8 children? I know from experience that's nigh on impossible. There are far far more important things to spend money on.

The above poster said he was living on the dole for 2 years! Doesn't your type not criticise that?

There's nothing to critisise. From the day I left school I worked and paid tax and PRSI non stop for 20 years. Due to no fault of my own I was unable to work for 2 years. Since then I've never been out of work for a day. That's what SW is for. Not sustaining the "Can't work won't work" brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

sligojoek wrote:
    There's nothing to critisise. From the day I left school I worked and paid tax and PRSI non stop for 20 years. Due to no fault of my own I was unable to work for 2 years. Since then I've never been out of work for a day. That's what SW is for. Not sustaining the "Can't work won't work" brigade.

2 years! And you're throwing stones at others so brazenly. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

2 years! And you're throwing stones at others so brazenly. You couldn't make it up.

Nobody is throwing stones at anyone .

There is a big difference in using SW as it was intended to be used and using it as a lifetime career.

There is a big difference in using SW as it was intended to be used and using it as a lifetime career.

Nobody is throwing stones at anyone .

This is the definition of throwing stones or judging other people anyway. Like why deny the judgement. You don't like people that live off social welfare. My point is that many of us draw welfare at some point or another and how do you define those you hate and those you don't hate.

And leaping to the defence of a guy that claimed the dole for 2 years suggests you accept that at least 2 years on the dole is ok.

This is the definition of throwing stones or judging other people anyway. Like why deny the judgement. You don't like people that live off social welfare. My point is that many of us draw welfare at some point or another and how do you define those you hate and those you don't hate.

And leaping to the defence of a guy that claimed the dole for 2 years suggests you accept that at least 2 years on the dole is ok.

You seem very anxious to ‘put out’ on this issue my friend.

You are making a lot of very unfounded assumptions here, getting very aggressive, and ignoring several issues which are relevant.

I’ll make it easy for you.

I have no problem with anyone on social welfare who is genuinely being supported and genuinely trying to sort out their issues.

I have a problem with people gaming the system, using social welfare as a lifelong career and doing nothing to solve their issues, other than to try to blame everyone else for their plight

Now , my friend that is not ambiguous, so don’t try to attribute views to me that you think I have, or whether i hate or don’t hate,your use of words,any particular stratum of society.

Much obliged, my friend.

I have a problem with people gaming the system, using social welfare as a lifelong career and doing nothing to solve their issues, other than to try to blame everyone else for their plight

I have no problem with anyone on social welfare who is genuinely being supported and genuinely trying to sort out their issues.

I’ll make it easy for you.

I think I would just be repeating myself, but I think you get my point but choose to ignore it.

I think I would just be repeating myself, but I think you get my point but choose to ignore it.

No idea what your point is, to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Mariam and Seán Spicer getting angsty now :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

QueensGael wrote: »
    Mariam and Seán Spicer getting angsty now :p
    That was quite the hysteria fest.

Pair of 'em in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

It was good entertainment tho, for a change.

Miriam backed down when she realised she was`nt going to best Sean Spicer

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

QueensGael wrote: »
    He's due back sometime in the Autumn, on extended leave at the moment
    https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/tv-film/sean-orourke-taking-extended-break-12832638

Is he unwell or something? Or just taking the type of holiday he gives out about teachers having?

A bit of both I think, sounds like he's a bit browned off with working. Oh that the rest of us could recharge like that!

"When you were a teeny little boy"
    Puke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Let's hope we never get invaded on a weekend.

Lads don't want to work.

• Advertisement

More free advertising for Ballymaloe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

sligojoek wrote: »
    "When you were a teeny little boy"
    Puke.
    If you want to hear Miriam at her patronising best listen to that interview.

I stayed listening because I wanted to hear what he had to say, but her interviewing style, Holy God, puke is right.

I missed it - who was she talking to?

Fr Michael Cleary's son, Ross Hamilton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

McDermotX wrote: »

Lads don't want to work.

That was actually a rare radio interview with a serving soldier making some serious points about the defence forces.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Fr Michael Cleary's son, Ross Hamilton.

Thought he came across quite well despite Meeeeriam

Thought he came across quite well despite Meeeeriam
    He did indeed - an intelligent, if troubled, man.

I was wondering what age he was and decided to look up the Wikipedia entry on Fr Michael Cleary. Just have a read of how this is written:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Three weeks after his death in December 1993 (from throat cancer), when they were therefore no longer liable to be prosecuted for defamation, The Phoenix, a national news magazine, published an article alleging that Cleary had fathered a child, Ross Hamilton, with Phyllis Hamilton, who had worked as his longtime housekeeper. This claim was subsequently repeated and it was suggested it was confirmed by DNA analysis. The remaining Cleary family who volunteered to provide their own DNA refused to acknowledge the boy, nor has any DNA evidence been forthcoming or provided by any of the claimed children.[1] The Cleary family have also disputed claims that he had fathered two boys ( both having the same mother Phyllis Hamilton who it is claimed also had a girl during this time by another trainee priest) and said they were in possession of blood tests and affidavits from two men who claimed to be the boys' fathers but apparently none of these were ever produced.[3]

Cleary allegedly had a secret 26-year relationship with Hamilton that started in the 1960s when she was 17 and he was about 34.[4] They allegedly had two sons, the first given up for adoption and the second they allegedly raised together.[5]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

"Clearly you're all very good men" ..... FFS Marian they abused & continue to cover up the rape and abuse of CHILDREN

I'm gone before I commit a major sin & murder the radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Fuzzy-headed Bishop Fonzy trying to soft-soap a pretty hard line. God created gay people gay, but God's plan calls for them to be straight. Is there nothing to be a said for another dose of the ol' conversion therapy?

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Miriam backed down when she realised she was`nt going to best Sean Spicer

I think she realized he was doing a pretty good job of beating himself, and was happy to let him at it.

His line of "defence" is essentially that he didn't lie, so much as he attempted to whatabout and mislead, and "accidentally" wandered into outright factually wrong.

Sure, I didn't mean to murder anyone, I was just recklessly shooting inches about people's heads to put manners on them, and accidentally went a little low.

McDermotX wrote: »

Given the strength, mission, and equipment of the Defence Forces, best if the invasion is on a weekend. Result will be much the same, but fewer compo claims made via Our New Overlords. (I, for one, welcome them. In advance, just to be on the safe side)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I think the good bishop may be deceiving himself as to the success of the papal visit. You can dress it up whatever way you want but the empty spaces in the Phoenix Park said a lot.

The other striking change over the 40 odd years is the reluctance of people to walk two or three miles. Seems that if you can't drive to it now or get a bus or tram, then it's too much hassle. Then we wonder about rise of obesity, is it any wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,171 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Miriam handing Nora Casey an 'easy out' on the turnout. What an awful analysis this has been so far. Reverential and pious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

The tv coverage was wall to wall aswell a lot different to 40 years ago. Interesting to see what the tv ratings will inform us of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Miriam handing Nora Casey an 'easy out' on the turnout. What an awful analysis this has been so far. Reverential and pious.

Heard Joe Duffy yesterday after the mass. I was quite surprised at the negative & downbeat nature of the commentary. Was expecting a lot of reverential eulogising but no, several commentators were very 'cast down' in Joe's lingo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,171 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Heard Joe Duffy yesterday after the mass. I was quite surprised at the negative & downbeat nature of the commentary. Was expecting a lot of reverential eulogising but no, several commentators were very 'cast down' in Joe's lingo.

Yes I watched that too.
    Miriam was determined to be upbeat though. It will probably take a while before the organisers of this are confronted with what was a pretty disappointing (for them) event numbers wise on mainstream RTE.

I think the good bishop may be deceiving himself as to the success of the papal visit. You can dress it up whatever way you want but the empty spaces in the Phoenix Park said a lot.

The other striking change over the 40 odd years is the reluctance of people to walk two or three miles. Seems that if you can't drive to it now or get a bus or tram, then it's too much hassle. Then we wonder about rise of obesity, is it any wonder?

What struck me was the speed with which it emptied our ..... apart from the one nicking the flowers that is!

Looked to me like most of the crowd were gone from Phoenix Pk before the Pope's car departed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Callan57 wrote: »
    Looked to me like most of the crowd were gone from Phoenix Pk before the Pope's car departed.

Paddy O'Gorman mentioned that he saw a lot of people leave once they had the chance to see the pope drive past, and that was at the start I think?

To be fair, look at the cohort effect. If you're 40 years older than than last time, then you'll be less able to walk 6k. (Well, unless you were two last time.) Obviously there are first-timers, but the median age marches ever upward.

Somewhat related item on the radio just now. One teacher and one church person (didn't catch her exact role) saying the school population is, in the words of the latter, "over-sacramentalised and under-evangelised". Church has been coasting on cultural Catholicism for a while now, and is acting shocked that this is running out of steam.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    one church person ... saying the school population is, in the words of the latter, "over-sacramentalised and under-evangelised". Church has been coasting on cultural Catholicism for a while now, and is acting shocked that this is running out of steam.
    Yep - we're becoming more like the French used to be. You visit the Church three times in your life - when you're hatched (baptism), batched (marriage) and dispatched (funeral).

serfboard wrote: »
    Yep - we're becoming more like the French used to be. You visit the Church three times in your life - when you're hatched (baptism), batched (marriage) and dispatched (funeral).

Technically I think in France you can't be married in church -- your wedding happens in the civil registry office, anything that happens afterwards is just a religious victory lap. (Usual disclaimers here, like me being neither a lawyer nor French.)

And you're assuming it'll stop there. Given the mess the church has made of some things, their obdurate foot-dragging might blow up in their face entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Is this her last week?

I'm just about at the end of my tether with the relentless insincerity.

Your beaushiful beaushiful daughter.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Is this her last week?

I'm just about at the end of my tether with the relentless insincerity.

Soon as I heard the running order.....buuuntsh... off button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

When is Sean back? Or when is Miriam leaving?
    I can then re-subscribe to the podcast.

Now this woman is having a tough time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

you think you have problems:(

you think you have problems:(

Well voters of Ireland.... with limited resources do we:

- Fund the post offices
    - Fund the health services

The POs are making big news this morning, not this poor woman.

In case those who didn't hear the show wonder what the last few comments are about, Brian O'Connell had a slot this morning about CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) and the story of one particular woman who has a child with ADHD.

Absolutely riveting radio.

This is King Canute stuff ... most people working today are paid directly to their bank acc & when they retire they are not going to suddenly revert to the PO & cash. Nor are we going to revert to writing letters!

IMO this "rural Ireland" rep would be better employed putting his energies into getting the services, like proper broadband & transport, that people actually need and want not engaging in this nostalgia for a time long gone.

For example my local "rural Ireland" town today has 7 coffee shops, 10 years ago it had none but it probably had 20 pubs! Adapt or die simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was looking at the Radio 1 listings, this week has Today with Miriam O'Callaghan, next week it's back to Today with Sean O'Rourke. Hopefully he'll be back and we'll be saved from Miriam's sighing and patronising tone...

The post offices are toast and the sooner we face up to that fact the better.

Most new houses in my home area not even built in the town. Every field for miles nearly has a house in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

dulpit wrote:
    I was looking at the Radio 1 listings, this week has Today with Miriam O'Callaghan, next week it's back to Today with Sean O'Rourke. Hopefully he'll be back and we'll be saved from Miriam's sighing and patronising tone...

9 weeks off, not bad if you can get it.

Badabing wrote: »
    9 weeks off, not bad if you can get it.
    Yep, works out at about 30,000 per working month - not bad if you can get it is right.

And before people say it, not a patch on what Marian Finucane is getting per broadcasting hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Just heard ad for tomorrow’s Sunday Indo-I think that they said that Sean is going to be talking about rediscovering what’s important during his Summer break

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement