Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sean is back this morning.

Passschal is on now with his pre-prepared answerssss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

padd b1975 wrote: »

Turned him off even before he started.

Turned him off even before he started.

Not one for expressing a personal opinion that lad, sticks rigidly to the department script.

Interesting interview with the Duke of Cork earlier, looks like Leo will remain in situ for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

hey when Passchal was in school - he gave the teacher the homework to give out & that night he prepared tomorrows homework

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Just before the RTE news at One today, there was a promo for "Today with Miriam" even though Sean is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Interesting interview with the Duke of Cork earlier, looks like Leo will remain in situ for the foreseeable.
    Heard Michael Martin coming on switched over to Woman's Hour on Radio 4 where there were two women roaring at each other about Brexit. Quite amusing.

Switched back only to hear that Paschal Donoghue was on.

Changed back to Radio 4 again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

PacMan wrote: »
    Just before the RTE news at One today, there was a promo for "Today with Miriam" even though Sean is back.

It came on during his show as well. He had a bit of a laugh at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Several times during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

serfboard wrote: »
    Heard Michael Martin coming on switched over to Woman's Hour on Radio 4 where there were two women roaring at each other about Brexit. Quite amusing.

Why did you do that S ?

Why did you do that S ?
    I had no interest in those two spoofers and their oul guff - I would have changed over to Pat Kenny but I wasn't sure if he was back yet, and I don't care much for Jonathon Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Researcher staging a quiet coup.

I had no interest in those two spoofers and their oul guff - I would have changed over to Pat Kenny but I wasn't sure if he was back yet, and I don't care much for Jonathon Healy.

What two spoofers are these, S.?

What two spoofers are these, S.?
    Micheál Martin and Paschal Donoghue - I thought that was obvious from my post?

Micheál Martin and Paschal Donoghue - I thought that was obvious from my post?

I wouldn’t have thought so S.

But ,dude, maybe it’s just me.

I don’t think so, but.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Several times during the day.

Sean was worn out fake chuckling.

Seaaaaan ya know.

Seaaaaan ya know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

sligojoek wrote: »
    Seaaaaan ya know.

Seaaaaan ya know

Don't shoot the messenger listen to the message.

Mannix Flynn on giving about "a massive self-promoter".

Post-ironic times indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Mannix Flynn on giving about "a massive self-promoter".

Post-ironic times indeed.

That was a genuine LOL moment alright.

I doubt Mannix will get the irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Lol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Oh dear. This spluffer again. He's to the Gardai what Iona is to "moral issues". Doesn't seem to represent anyone, certainly isn't elected by anyone, is rarely off the radio giving out "we're grand as we are, no need for change whatsoever!" yards.

Oh dear. This spluffer again. He's to the Gardai what Iona is to "moral issues". Doesn't seem to represent anyone, certainly isn't elected by anyone, is rarely off the radio giving out "we're grand as we are, no need for change whatsoever!" yards.

Who is this?

just listening back to this now, love the name Bunty Tuntingdom McFuff (aka Norma Burke), who's putting herself forward as a presidential candidate, calling for a reality tv show called 'In your Áras'.

She made herself a 'joke' candidate to object to the dopes who are making themselves candidates for the presidency, purely to further their popular profiles.

She's dead right.

Who is this?
    Supd. John O'Brien (retired), I assume based on when that was posted.

Seemed like a fairly sensible contribution to me, he was talking about the Frederick St. occupation, and the issue of Gardaí wearing balaclavas.

Seemed like a fairly sensible contribution to me, he was talking about the Frederick St. occupation, and the issue of Gardaí wearing balaclavas.

That'd be him, yes thanks. Forgot his name from the intro, was too lazy to check the running order.

It wasn't his worst contribution, to be as fair as I can. But one gets rather inoculated to his little pieces after a while. Rtd mid-level garda harumphs his way through the latest garda issue, rather pompously insisting that it's not an issue at all.

I mean, we do already have numerous not-technically-a-union gardai unions for all that!

• Advertisement

Joe Duffy seems to have him on speed dial too. I wonder does he get appearance fees.

just listening back to this now, love the name Bunty Tuntingdom McFuff (aka Norma Burke), who's putting herself forward as a presidential candidate, calling for a reality tv show called 'In your Áras'.

She made herself a 'joke' candidate to object to the dopes who are making themselves candidates for the presidency, purely to further their popular profiles.

She's dead right.

Shame that having had Mannix Flynn ruin the joke and shout down the point in the actual council meeting...

... the show got Flynn on too, so he could try his best to ruin the joke, and shout down the point, all over again.

One text commenter said something to the effect that too-easily-outraged Flynn was on, being outraged. Pretty close to the mark, but perpetually outraged, at least judging by his media appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,171 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That'd be him, yes thanks. Forgot his name from the intro, was too lazy to check the running order.

It wasn't his worst contribution, to be as fair as I can. But one gets rather inoculated to his little pieces after a while. Rtd mid-level garda harumphs his way through the latest garda issue, rather pompously insisting that it's not an issue at all.

I mean, we do already have numerous not-technically-a-union gardai unions for all that!

He has all the answers now when he is retired. :rolleyes: There are a few others who are on the RTE playlist too, similarly endowed with buckets of superannuated wisdom on how to police properly.

Have to agree with you there.

He seemed pretty balanced in this instance, but I'm sick to death of him being brought onto panel discussions (RTÉ Late Debate is terribly fond of him) as though he were impartial. He's a spokesman for An Garda's Press Office, purely and simply.

Ahem..... Chief Supt.....:D

Thanks Tyrant. I think that by and large he is reasonable and generally knows his stuff.

• Advertisement

He seemed pretty balanced in this instance, but I'm sick to death of him being brought onto panel discussions (RTÉ Late Debate is terribly fond of him) as though he were impartial.

There's about three or four of these securipromoflakcrat types, and I think These Various Programmes, as Irish Pictorial Weekly might say, pretty much have them on slow rotation. Occasionally you'll get a detectable bit of "expertise", but generally they're just laundering the same agenda they had the previous time they were on.
    He's a spokesman for An Garda's Press Office, purely and simply.

Exactly, hence the Iona comparison. Get a Quinn, an O'Brien, or a Steen to say something reactionary and theocratic that might be a bad look coming directly out of a bishop's mouth.

Mind you, previous time he was harumphing about how terrible it would be do have a Nordie in charge, so I guess he's not saying that any more, if he's taking his marching orders from the GPO! ... depending on whom the GPO is taking theirs from, I suppose.

The fellah is sorta like the animal spirit of garda institutional resistance to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

She's dead right.

And she definitely wasn't doing anything like that herself of course.

ligerdub wrote: »
    And she definitely wasn't doing anything like that herself of course.
    Maybe she was, but it does expose a problem with the Council's procedures: any head-the-ball can just rock up and gain an audience just because he wants to be the President.

There probably should be some filtering process, like gathering 500 signatures.

The Councils should have better things to be doing, such as working on the housing crisis, for example.

There's about three or four of these securipromoflakcrat types, and I think These Various Programmes, as Irish Pictorial Weekly might say, pretty much have them on slow rotation. Occasionally you'll get a detectable bit of "expertise", but generally they're just laundering the same agenda they had the previous time they were on.

Exactly, hence the Iona comparison. Get a Quinn, an O'Brien, or a Steen to say something reactionary and theocratic that might be a bad look coming directly out of a bishop's mouth.

Mind you, previous time he was harumphing about how terrible it would be do have a Nordie in charge, so I guess he's not saying that any more, if he's taking his marching orders from the GPO! ... depending on whom the GPO is taking theirs from, I suppose.

The fellah is sorta like the animal spirit of garda institutional resistance to change.

I listened back to John O’Brien’s excerpt and thought he was very fair and balanced in his observations.

There seems to be an attitude from some that one can make an omelette without breaking eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

ghiertal wrote: »
    THE former head of 2FM has been drafted in to help lighten the tone of Sean O'Rourke's new RTE Radio One show in the old Pat Kenny slot.

When RTE lighten the tone, what they usually end up doing is dumbing it down. I think Pat Kenny is biased on a lot of things but at least he keeps it relatively serious.

When RTE lighten the tone, what they usually end up doing is dumbing it down. I think Pat Kenny is biased on a lot of things but at least he keeps it relatively serious.

It's a good job that he does, as while he's bumptious and partisan on "relatively serious", he's excruciating when he attempts to do "light".

I personally find SO'R much better on both. But 'news and current affairs' is definitely his core competency. Going for fluffier could go pear-shaped fast.

I was a bit concerned about this, coming as it apparently did hard on the heels of the "career break" AKA "grand long holiday of Duffyesque proportions". Then I noticed the reply was to "news" that was five years old!

John McMahon does not yet seem to have reduced SO'R to Tubridy levels of inane triviality. A cheer and a half for that, at least.

I listened back to John O’Brien’s excerpt and thought he was very fair and balanced in his observations.
    Yes, you pre-announced this conclusion before you listened, too.
    There seems to be an attitude from some that one can make an omelette without breaking eggs.

There is indeed. Especially from Garda old-stagers, that you can produce a modern, fit-for-purpose police force, without upsetting their entrenched habits of running matters to suit themselves. (Or more plausibly, that you can continue to pretend you're doing that, while not doing a tap of work in that direction.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Maybe she was, but it does expose a problem with the Council's procedures: any head-the-ball can just rock up and gain an audience just because he wants to be the President.

There probably should be some filtering process, like gathering 500 signatures.

The Councils should have better things to be doing, such as working on the housing crisis, for example.

That's fair enough, but I don't think her approach is all that ironic. If anything she is the one most guilty of time wasting, at least the others (I assume all of them) are at least genuinely interested in getting nominated. As part of a proper democracy I'm glad that people have a reasonably low barrier to get themselves on the voting slip.

I genuinely don't know how many resources are required from the Council to adhere to these procedures when it comes to Presidential elections. They are only once every 7 years though, and more importantly are an inbuilt aspect of how councils are run. They are not an add-on, it's an important aspect of the work that they do. The councils should be able to take care of this process as well as their BAU stuff, and judging by the housing crisis in Ireland at present, particularly in Dublin, I'm curious if they are doing any work on this at all in the other 6.999999 years of the 7 year Presidential term as it is.

I dislike the fact that councils have such control over the process that party heads can request for them to decide a certain way, worse still when this request is not to nominate anybody at all.

ligerdub wrote: »
    The councils should be able to take care of this process as well as their BAU stuff, and judging by the housing crisis in Ireland at present, particularly in Dublin, I'm curious if they are doing any work on this at all in the other 6.999999 years of the 7 year Presidential term as it is.

I think the councils see their role in the housing crisis as on the one hand, complaining about not having the money to do anything, and on the other, representing the nimby vote by blocking house-building in the "wrong" place. i.e. ITBY.

Yes, you pre-announced this conclusion before you listened, too.

There is indeed. Especially from Garda old-stagers, that you can produce a modern, fit-for-purpose police force, without upsetting their entrenched habits of running matters to suit themselves. (Or more plausibly, that you can continue to pretend you're doing that, while not doing a tap of work in that direction.)

Stop putting words in my mouth, my friend, I drew my earlier conclusion from listening to other excerpts and other programmers in which O’Brien contributed.
    You should really not have me correcting you on every engagement you have with me.

• Advertisement

Stop putting words in my mouth, my friend, I drew my earlier conclusion from listening to other excerpts and other programmers in which O’Brien contributed.
    I ascribed no words to you. I described what you did. Do stop attempting to misrepresent me.

The two were such similar -- and utterly predictable -- sentiments that any distinction between them in your own mind is hardly likely to be of any interest to anyone else.
    You should really not have me correcting you on every engagement you have with me.

I really shouldn't, but you will persist in banging on with the purported "corrections". Absent yourself actually being correct about anything, of course. So I guess they'll continue, unless and until I hit ignore.

You'll be telling us again in a minute how these attempted quibbles are "senior hurling".

I ascribed no words to you. I described what you did. Do stop attempting to misrepresent me.

The two were such similar -- and utterly predictable -- sentiments that any distinction between them in your own mind is hardly likely to be of any interest to anyone else.

I really shouldn't, but you will persist in banging on with the purported "corrections". Absent yourself actually being correct about anything, of course. So I guess they'll continue, unless and until I hit ignore.

You'll be telling us again in a minute how these attempted quibbles are "senior hurling".

I have no wish to disrupt this thread or get personal, but maybe you might explain this collection of words for me.

“Absent yourself actually being correct about anything, of course”

Couldn’t quite understand that particular sentence?

I’m sure others are in the same boat.

Ta ta.

Really enjoyed listening to the interview with Sr. Martina Purdy just now, discussing tge journey from being a BBC correspondent to becoming a nun. Sounds like an absolutely lovely, decent human being. Really uplifting stuff, would recommend giving it a listen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Really enjoyed listening to the interview with Sr. Martina Purdy just now, discussing tge journey from being a BBC correspondent to becoming a nun. Sounds like an absolutely lovely, decent human being. Really uplifting stuff, would recommend giving it a listen!

Must listen back to it. I remember her well over the years from watching BBC NI news.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-32704120

You wouldn't think it was the same person!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

The "even if it's only one person" argument is just childish from Francis Black. You could use that same argument to stop people driving cars, to stop people from playing sports, to stop people from taking walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Unbalanced coverage from Sean.
    Prof. Murray and Senator Black vs. the "Big Bad Lobby" called in on phone at last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was that Francis "I can't handle my booze" black? Some of these "reformed" drinkers and drug users are the worst sort of anti loby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

neris wrote: »
    Was that Francis "I can't handle my booze" black? Some of these "reformed" drinkers and drug users are the worst sort of anti loby

The zeal of the convert :rolleyes:

Nothin' as pure as a reformed hoor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

"Sean" at the beginning & end of every sentence .....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement