Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Callan57 wrote: »
    "Sean" at the beginning & end of every sentence .....

Sean, going forward, Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Waffle, waffle, waffle ...

"Looking back with 20/20 vision"

Bad choice of cliche when talking to a man with bad eyesight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

sligojoek wrote: »
    Sean, going forward, Sean.

Obviously a Dub so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

"Sean" at the beginning & end of every sentence .....
    That was feckin' hilarious it was so bad - and talking about himself in the third person - always a classy sign!

(For those who didn't hear, it was Louth TD, Peter Fitzpatrick).

• Advertisement

Re the blasphemy discussion:

No God worth his/her salt would be offended by a bit of mockery. Surely if you believe in an omnipotent God you can't believe that God has such a fragile ego!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I wonder has Aodhan O'Riordan ever considered putting one of these treatment centres in his own constituency, or beside his own constituency office.

These people are out of control and injecting illegal drugs. Yet he wants them out on the streets beside women and kids. I've been down Merchant's Quay and it's not like they are discreet or respectful of the people around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

"If we saw it at a GAA match..... "

We saw it at at least three GAA matches in this month alone. Are they just going to ignore the brawl in the match up north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

serfboard wrote: »
    That was feckin' hilarious it was so bad - and talking about himself in the third person - always a classy sign!

(For those who didn't hear, it was Louth TD, Peter Fitzpatrick).

Did they have an interpreter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

S'OR clearly does not like Gavin Duffy! He's hardly given him a moment to settle. The FF bias coming out???

• Advertisement

Oh the gloves are coming off now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BarryD2 wrote: »
    S'OR clearly does not like Gavin Duffy! He's hardly given him a moment to settle. The FF bias coming out???
    Gavin Duffy digging a giant hole for himself and jumping both feet first into it.

Terrible interview.

Sean should be following up on questions he's obviously dancing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

Unbelievable To hear Gavin Duffy trying to minimise his Driving without insurance and causing a young woman to lose her Leg

He said "You Know Sean it was one of those Accidents that nearly didn't happen another couple of centimetres and nothing would have happened"

Well the other side of that is another couple of centimetres the other way the Young Woman Could be Dead

It would never have happened if he had not broke the Law and Driven without insurance

Now I think I could forgive one mistake but he went on to be convicted again for a driving offence certainly once again if not twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

xl500 wrote: »
    Unbelievable To hear Gavin Duffy trying to minimise his Driving without insurance and causing a young woman to lose her Leg

He said "You Know Sean it was one of those Accidents that nearly didn't happen another couple of centimetres and nothing would have happened"

Well the other side of that is another couple of centimetres the other way the Young Woman Could be Dead

It would never have happened if he had not broke the Law and Driven without insurance

Now I think I could forgive one mistake but he went on to be convicted again for a driving offence certainly once again if not twice

I didn't know that the insurance disc prevented collisions; and here I was making my own driving decisions like schmuck.
    great to know :)

That interview made Duffy look seriously incompetent; the dragons race to the bottom of my ballot paper is heading up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

xl500 wrote: »

I didn't know that the insurance disc prevented collisions; and here I was making my own driving decisions like schmuck.
    great to know :)

That interview made Duffy look seriously incompetent; the dragons race to the bottom of my ballot paper is heading up

DavyD_83 wrote: »

O'Rourke put the boot in from the get go and didn't relent much. Duffy started off well enough but went off beam talking about AIB etc.

Noticeably tougher interview than Gallagher got. Will be interesting to see if President Higgins comes in and how he's dealt with.

Gavin Duffy came across as a bullsh1tter - obviously picked the AIB issue as a soundbite which clearly has absolutely damn all to do with the presidency. What's with this repeated use of Sean, Sean, Sean again this week ... is it some kind of virus?

Badly prepared IMO and obviously expected a soft interview & got way more than he bargened for ... no, stick with Mickie D

Gavin Duffy came across as a bullsh1tter - obviously picked the AIB issue as a soundbite which clearly has absolutely damn all to do with the presidency. What's with this repeated use of Sean, Sean, Sean again this week ... is it some kind of virus?

Badly prepared IMO and obviously expected a soft interview & got way more than he bargened for ... no, stick with Mickie D

I don’t think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I don’t think so.

You don't think he came across poorly? :confused:

Just listened back, he was all over the place. It seems like he had a few different strategies in mind and none worked (e.g. He was trying to talk about how he'd have the energy for all the meetings but when challenged by Sean as to whether he was comparing himself to Miggeldy he got flustered).

dulpit wrote: »
    You don't think he came across poorly? :confused:

Just listened back, he was all over the place. It seems like he had a few different strategies in mind and none worked (e.g. He was trying to talk about how he'd have the energy for all the meetings but when challenged by Sean as to whether he was comparing himself to Miggeldy he got flustered).

Sorry, my fault, it was the “stick with Michael D “ I was referring to.

Mickeeleen needs to check out of the Aras in my opinion.

Said he was one term,should be one term, pack yer bags lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I almost felt sorry for him. O'Rourke was very fair, I thought. Didn't press him too much - just handed him a shovel. Both him and Casey are almost making Gallagher look good.
    Sorry, my fault, it was the “stick with Michael D “ I was referring to.

Mickeeleen needs to check out of the Aras in my opinion.

Said he was one term,should be one term, pack yer bags lad.

It's quickly becoming apparent that there's no alternative.

I almost felt sorry for him. O'Rourke was very fair, I thought. Didn't press him too much - just handed him a shovel. Both him and Casey are almost making Gallagher look good.

Always an alternative to a lad who doesn’t keep his promise.

Always an alternative to a lad who doesn’t keep his promise.

Joan Freeman
    Gavin Duffy
    Liadh Ní Ríada
    Peter Casey
    Sean Gallagher

There's your alternatives. Pick one.

Joan Freeman
    Gavin Duffy
    Liadh Ní Ríada
    Peter Casey
    Sean Gallagher

Anyone but Mickeleen, there’s my alternative.

You don’t renage on what you said.

Sorry,lads, honesty and integrity counts for something with this poster.

One term means one fcuking term.

Joan Freeman
    Gavin Duffy
    Liadh Ní Ríada
    Peter Casey
    Sean Gallagher

Well from those its hard to get honesty and integrity

One says she will only take the average industrial wage but turns out, of course, she's not

Another a Bagman for Fianna Fail

Another convicted for Dangerous Driving

Another being funded from outside the state

Kinda narrows the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

O'Rourke put the boot in from the get go and didn't relent much.

No he didn't. Duffy has only himself to blame for the position he found himself in.

He made that promise based on the fact that he could barely walk in 2011 and was getting a lot of stick for being old and frail. Probably didn't think he'd be well/alive enough, but look at him now, bouncing around the place. The only people who seem to care about him changing his mind are people who wouldn't have voted for him anyway. The rest of us are relieved - especially after seeing the competition.

You say honesty and integrity count for something - then be honest, and tell us which candidate is better than Michael D. Higgins.

He made that promise based on the fact that he could barely walk in 2011 and was getting a lot of stick for being old and frail. Probably didn't think he'd be well/alive enough, but look at him now, bouncing around the place. The only people who seem to care about him changing his mind are people who wouldn't have voted for him anyway. The rest of us are relieved - especially after seeing the competition.

You say honesty and integrity count for something - then be honest, and tell us which candidate is better than Michael D. Higgins.

I will be honest- none of them.

However Michael said before going to the electorate last time he would be a one term President.

Still with me?

A decision which was totally in his control, totally in his control.

Still with me?

Then when the chips are down he goes back on that promise.

That, for me rules him out - finito- gonzo, gone. Down the tube.Exploded.

That’s how I roll, compadre, like it or lump it.

I will be honest- none of them.

However Michael said before going to the electorate last time he would be a one term President.

Still with me?

A decision which was totally in his control, totally in his control.

Still with me?

Then when the chips are down he goes back on that promise.

That, for me rules him out - finito- gonzo, gone. Down the tube.Exploded.

That’s how I roll, compadre, like it or lump it.

I suspect you were never likely to vote for him anyway.

Be careful if you're spoiling your vote, by the way. I drew a crude picture of a knob on my ballot paper in 2007 and the returning officer declared it a valid vote for Dick Roche.

• Advertisement

I suspect you were never likely to vote for him anyway.

Be careful if you're spoiling your vote, by the way. I drew a crude picture of a knob on my ballot paper in 2007 and the returning officer declared it a valid vote for Dick Roche.

:eek:

You obviously overdid the rouge on the helmet area.

You can’t blame the lad for validating that bad boy.

I won’t be spoiling any votes.... but could be tempted to draw a crude picture of a breeze block on my ballot paper.

Hopefully the returning officer won’t put it in the Sean Gallagher pile.

Uhm......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good item with Paddy O'Gorman today.
    The interviewer interviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

IMO The Presidency is a grossly overpaid (even more so considering you get free digs), almost completely powerless, irrelevant office.

To the extent that we have one, the salary should be at least cut in half (and even then you're still on six figures), it should be five-year terms, with a maximum of two, and there must be an election every time. The idea that you could be in the job 14 years, having, in some cases only fought one Presidential Election (Sean T O'Kelly & Mary McAleese) and in another case, having fought no Presidential election at all :eek: (Paddy Hillery), seems crazy and completely undemocratic to me.

Hurrache wrote: »
    No he didn't. Duffy has only himself to blame for the position he found himself in.

I disagree - Duffy is a professional communicator and would have been well prepared for that interview. It was clear from the start that O'Rourke was on the attack. Duffy lost his way a bit but there was no attempt to allow him get back on an even keel unlike interviews with other candidates. That was my impression as a listener anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Senator Joan Freeman.

I disagree - Duffy is a professional communicator and would have been well prepared for that interview.

And yet somehow he wasn't, making an eejit of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I disagree - Duffy is a professional communicator and would have been well prepared for that interview. It was clear from the start that O'Rourke was on the attack. Duffy lost his way a bit but there was no attempt to allow him get back on an even keel unlike interviews with other candidates. That was my impression as a listener anyway.

It wasn't SOR that made him randomly start talking about Fortnite either...

Too Well prepared all answers totally practised no personality like a machine

And the reason mentioned it was because he wanted to bring the big 5 to task because predators prey on kids in their bedrooms while playing Fortnite.

Let's wait and see if President Higgins turns up for an interview and how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder how they come up with these figures?

1/3 women have been harassed?
    One in four - doesn't that group say 1/4 has been abused?

I take these figures with a big pinch of salt.

That woman who was just on the show, I think when they are counting harassment figures, they probably count every tiny little thing as harassment. It suits their agenda.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder how they come up with these figures?

1/3 women have been harassed?
    One in four - doesn't that group say 1/4 has been abused?

I take these figures with a big pinch of salt.

That woman who was just on the show, I think when they are counting harassment figures, they probably count every tiny little thing as harassment. It suits their agenda.

I think a lot of men/boys have a difficulty understanding that what they think of as banter, messing etc can be quite intimidating or threathening when it's directed at a young girl or woman on her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's a fine line, isn't it.

I would hate to be back in my youth, trying to date.

I would guess that even 'asking someone out' could be described as harassment if the recipient is of a certain mindset.

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's a fine line, isn't it.

I would hate to be back in my youth, trying to date.

I would guess that even 'asking someone out' could be described as harassment if the recipient is of a certain mindset.

I think it would be fairly obvious if your attention was unwelcome :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

I think a lot of men/boys have a difficulty understanding that what they think of as banter, messing etc can be quite intimidating or threathening when it's directed at a young girl or woman on her own.

Men quite possibly, they might have grown up when Benny Hill was prime time TV and behaviour which is not acceptable today was.

Boys no, they need to be taught from an early age what is acceptable and what is not.

It appears that one cannot presume that anything is acceptable and that there will always be someone who will be offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Duffy came across as a pompous clown.

O Rourke just handed him enough rope.

Had he not brought up the previous weekend's news he would have been accused of letting Duffy have an easy ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,164 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"marxist lesbian bítch"

:eek: :eek: my freakin ears!

Nice free ad for a staffer's book

dense wrote: »
    Duffy came across as a pompous clown.

O Rourke just handed him enough rope.

Had he not brought up the previous weekend's news he would have been accused of letting Duffy have an easy ride.

Reported this morning that President Higgins has a 70% poll rating. So far, this is like a modern rerun of the Dev v. Higgins election, with this President Higgins conveniently absenting himself as much as possible from public scrutiny and the media happily complying. Up to Sean to do his job, get President Higgins into the studio and ask him some probing questions.

Higgins is doing enough publicity. Just because you're unaware of it doesn't mean it's not happening, or he's not saying stupid things that brings him to the forefront of news reporting. He was interviewed by Pay Kenny this morning, but no doubt you'll claim he was given an easy ride of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Reported this morning that President Higgins has a 70% poll rating. So far, this is like a modern rerun of the Dev v. Higgins election, with this President Higgins conveniently absenting himself as much as possible from public scrutiny and the media happily complying. Up to Sean to do his job, get President Higgins into the studio and ask him some probing questions.

wtf are you on about? He was on PK today and im sure he will do SO'R as well but im sure you have your posts pre preapred to say he got an easy ride anyway

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement