Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Why is SOR rattling on about Maurice McCabe. Why is he prempting the tv documentary this evening ?. Must be eff all happening.
    McCabe shouldn't be referred to as a whistle blower, he was a good upstanding garda simple as that,others would do well to act like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Why is SOR rattling on about Maurice McCabe. Why is he prempting the tv documentary this evening ?. Must be eff all happening.
    McCabe shouldn't be referred to as a whistle blower, he was a good upstanding garda simple as that,others would do well to act like him.

Typical RTE MO. Whenever there's something new on it's plastered all over every show. They'll be doing a post Mortem on it from Wed to Fri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,166 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Texter on Minister Mary Mitchell O Connor: "I am levitating with rage"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He was doing a promo for the documentary this evening.
    I expect it will be worth watching.

I think they mean whistle blower as a compliment.
    Agree that all Gardai should take a leaf from his book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Although I wouldn't be a fan of his at all, Gregory Campbell played a stormer on the programme this morning.

Basically his message was that, on the Brexit deal, cool heads are needed now and the deal needs to be examined in detail.

Sean was the one getting frustrated when Gregory refused to rise to any bait he was being thrown.

Worth podcasting if you want to hear how even an experienced interviewer like Sean can be disarmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Ailbhe Smith says 2 to 8 % of rape allegations are false allegations, and yet Ailbhe says that we should still believe ALL women as most women are genuine and wouldn't lie. Completely contradicting herself. So what does she think should happen to all the men in those 2 to 8 %, they should just burn because they are men? The core of the justice system is supposed to be that you never find an innocent person guilty, why did Sean not push her on this point?

Ailbhe says that we should still believe ALL women as most women are genuine and wouldn't lie.
    If you were to take that statement in isolation, it sounds ridiculous, as if to insinuate that women are not human beings and are therefore incapable of lying.

However, I think the point is that in rape cases, women risk much more by making the allegations - putting themselves through the minute inspection and stress of a trial, where very personal aspects of their lives (such as the clothing they wear) is subject to intense scrutiny.

She was not, as far as I heard, advocating that there should be no trials at all, and that every allegation of rape should be taken as proven without the need for a trial, although I agree that Sean should have pushed her for a bit more clarity on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Ailbhe Smith says 2 to 8 % of rape allegations are false allegations, and yet Ailbhe says that we should still believe ALL women as most women are genuine and wouldn't lie. Completely contradicting herself. So what does she think should happen to all the men in those 2 to 8 %, they should just burn because they are men? The core of the justice system is supposed to be that you never find an innocent person guilty, why did Sean not push her on this point?

Never? I seem to recall Blackstone's Ratio as being 10:1, not infinite. So I don't know if the coiner of that rubric would have been as overwrought in his distress about that 2-8% of cases as you appear to be.

Mind you, for traffic offence purposes, the "reasonable" element of "reasonable doubt" seems to be entirely absent, so pick your optimal number of guilty men (sic!) going unpunished to taste, I guess.

serfboard wrote: »
    Although I wouldn't be a fan of his at all, Gregory Campbell played a stormer on the programme this morning.

Basically his message was that, on the Brexit deal, cool heads are needed now and the deal needs to be examined in detail.

Sean was the one getting frustrated when Gregory refused to rise to any bait he was being thrown.

Worth podcasting if you want to hear how even an experienced interviewer like Sean can be disarmed.

You can maybe forgive Sean for not having seen that one coming.

"Which looper from the DUP do we have on this morning, then, trotting out their loopy version of BrExit?"

"Gregory Campbell."

"Ah, so loopier than the average DUP bear, then."

Good discussion on the show today about Eamonn De Valera - OK, so it was Sean's RTE colleague David McCullough plugging a book he has just written, but it was actually quite informative IMO, and worth podcasting for anyone who missed it.

Concur, was a very good piece. McCullough clearly knows his stuff -- you'd hope he did, having banged out two tomes on the subject -- and it wasn't just the "I'm here to plug the book, available in all good stores" puff piece as an interview, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Concur, was a very good piece. McCullough clearly knows his stuff -- you'd hope he did, having banged out two tomes on the subject -- and it wasn't just the "I'm here to plug the book, available in all good stores" puff piece as an interview, either.

He should stick to the writing,so, as he is piss-poor as a presenter, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tis their culture, boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sean like a dog with a bone in this interview. Asking same question over and over, almost paxman like.

Sean like a dog with a bone in this interview. Asking same question over and over, almost paxman like.
    For those who didn't hear, Sean was interviewing Mary Lou McDonald about why Sinn Fein aren't taking up their seats in Westminster.

He then went on to ask her repeatedly about Maria Cahill.

Thought it was a good, combative interview, but Mary Lou was well able for him.

That's why she was "elected" President of Sinn Fein.

For those who didn't hear, Sean was interviewing Mary Lou McDonald about why Sinn Fein aren't taking up their seats in Westminster.

He then went on to ask her repeatedly about Maria Cahill.

Thought it was a good, combative interview, but Mary Lou was well able for him.

That's why she was "elected" President of Sinn Fein.

Should be very simple, they were elected on the basis they wouldn’t take up their seats, so that should be game set and match surely.

And I am not a SF supporter.

Should be very simple, they were elected on the basis they wouldn’t take up their seats, so that should be game set and match surely.

Neither am I, but it annoys me every time I hear this crap from the "Dublin establishment" (I first heard Olivia O'Leary saying it, then it spread to other media, and now we have Leo chipping in).

Three points:

1. If Nationalists wanted MPs to take their seats they could have voted for the SDLP.

2. The number of seats they hold (7) is not going to make a dam bit of difference to the House Of Commons vote on the deal, since (according to PBH on drivetime yesterday), the gap on the deal is currently 170.

And if the deal does not go through, the whole place will be in chaos anyway, and it won't matter whether the DUP are propping up the Tories or not.

3. "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake". The worse Brexit is, the more likely a United Ireland is in the medium term, when people in the North realise that their politicians/MPs are insane.

We already see this with the Farmers Union, who as well as making pronouncements, have taken a seat in the Seanad. Of course, for making those pronouncements, they were criticised by the DUP, which is not going to turn out well for them the next time they go looking for farmers votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,175 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Neither am I, but it annoys me every time I hear this crap from the "Dublin establishment" (I first heard Olivia O'Leary saying it, then it spread to other media, and now we have Leo chipping in).

Three points:

1. If Nationalists wanted MPs to take their seats they could have voted for the SDLP.

2. The number of seats they hold (7) is not going to make a dam bit of difference to the House Of Commons vote on the deal, since (according to PBH on drivetime yesterday), the gap on the deal is currently 170.

And if the deal does not go through, the whole place will be in chaos anyway, and it won't matter whether the DUP are propping up the Tories or not.

3. "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake". The worse Brexit is, the more likely a United Ireland is in the medium term, when people in the North realise that their politicians/MPs are insane.

We already see this with the Farmers Union, who as well as making pronouncements, have taken a seat in the Seanad. Of course, for making those pronouncements, they were criticised by the DUP, which is not going to turn out well for them the next time they go looking for farmers votes.

I thought her challenge to FF and FG to run candidates and then let's see them taking an oath of allegiance, was note perfect to be honest. Can you imagine grassroots FF in particular signing off on that?

I thought her challenge to FF and FG to run candidates and then let's see them taking an oath of allegiance, was note perfect to be honest. Can you imagine grassroots FF in particular signing off on that?

Aaaaah..... end of thread I’m afraid....

Big trouble in Little China.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

You going soft on the shinners Brendan? You must be going a bit daft in your old age. Won't be long now til your in a home wearing adult nappies this poster would opine.

• Advertisement

You going soft on the shinners Brendan? You must be going a bit daft in your old age. Won't be long now til your in a home wearing adult nappies this poster would opine.

Fair is fair Paddy, I’m a lad who looks at the big picture, and to accuse SF of not taking their seats doesn’t understand the scenario.

Right or wrong it’s what they do.

Adult nappies mightened be a bad option by the way, saves a lad getting out of the cot to strain the spuds.... do you know any hefty nurses who might be looking for a handy number ?
    Sluice the cluster with the with the wet rag an stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My view on the Sinn Fein taking their seat issue is that they are very upfront about not taking their seats, so more power to them, but I cannot fathom why nationalists in the north vote for them on that basis. They are not represented as a result.

Also - if you don't take your seat, why do you still get paid? :confused:

dulpit wrote: »
    My view on the Sinn Fein taking their seat issue is that they are very upfront about not taking their seats, so more power to them, but I cannot fathom why nationalists in the north vote for them on that basis. They are not represented as a result.

Also - if you don't take your seat, why do you still get paid? :confused:
    I know they get expenses, but I'm not sure if they get a full salary.

Besides, there are other things that Public Representatives do besides sitting in Parliament - making representations is one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Besides, there are other things that Public Representatives do besides sitting in Parliament - making representations is one of them.

Mary Lou clarified they don’t take the salary but I was curious she didn’t say anything about the expenses. Why would they be claiming expenses from Westminster if they’re not in attendance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't care how much they get. In the greater scheme of things it makes no difference.

Their policy is based on their principles such as they are. That is between them and the people who elect them.

There is a world of difference between being an elected representative and making representations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

"They put me back on the streets".

Why in God's name did you have a second child when you don't have you can't support the first child or yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Came to Ireland 16 years ago and about to get citizenship, 2 young children incl a 4 wk premature baby. And 100% reliant on the State still for everything.
    It's some country that can keep the whole show afloat

"Your tiiiiiny little babies"

As apposed to what? 4 stone babies?

jay0109 wrote: »
    Came to Ireland 16 years ago and about to get citizenship, 2 young children incl a 4 wk premature baby. And 100% reliant on the State still for everything.

And Miriam with her "She is in the process of becoming an Irish citizen" nonsense. I mean at what point did aspiring to be an Irish citizen entitle you to full benefits, and then to COMPLAIN about the free room that was given to you. You would think that this woman would be grateful that the State put her up and fed her even though she is a foreign national.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Twice Miriam asked the Sinn Fein lady what she would do different with the HSE and twice she let her off without answering ...SF still very good at the divertionary tactic & Miriam not on the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Miriam signed off today saying she’d be back on Monday. Sean took a lot of time of last Summer (unpaid, I think). I know Miriam isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but she tries. I love the way she approaches the sports review on Mondays-you know she hasn’t much of a clue but she laughs at her lack of sports knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

honeybear wrote: »
    Miriam signed off today saying she’d be back on Monday. Sean took a lot of time of last Summer (unpaid, I think). I know Miriam isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but she tries. I love the way she approaches the sports review on Mondays-you know she hasn’t much of a clue but she laughs at her lack of sports knowledge.

She gets a lot of money for someone who hasn’t a clue what she’s talking about!

Callan57 wrote: »
    Twice Miriam asked the Sinn Fein lady what she would do different with the HSE and twice she let her off without answering ...SF still very good at the divertionary tactic & Miriam not on the ball

Callan, in fairness most intelligent and normal people realise there is NOTHING that can be done with the HSE.

It’s a swamp of vested interest,unionized, unsackable morass .

It’s like trying to herd a few hundred cats at a crossroads.

Cannot be done.

Let’s all admit that and stop blaming everyone else for the disfunctional unit that is the HSE

The problem is with the organization itself.

Sooner we realise that the better and direct our criticism to that quarter instead of those who can’t change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Can't see O'Rourke staying in this job much longer.
    Any chance at all and he's off on an extended break.

Can't see O'Rourke staying in this job much longer.
    Any chance at all and he's off on an extended break.

Fair enough if he wants to go. But Jaysus don't give us Meeeeriam full time.

Your beaushiful beaushiful daughter who was taken from you so young, etc.

Your tiny little baby.

Your gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous little boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I used to like her when interviewing politicians etc, but this stuff is pure drivel. The unnecessary random "Mmm's" she emits when a guest is speaking is awful annoying. It sounds she's having mini orgasams in the corner.

honeybear wrote: »
    Miriam signed off today saying she’d be back on Monday. Sean took a lot of time of last Summer (unpaid, I think).

Yeah I was surprised to hear that he was away the extra few days again. He seemed to intimate that he was sort of burned out, or just sick of the job, and needed a long break during the summer. Didn't think a couple of hours of live broadcasting would be that taxing. I wonder is he looking at other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm sure there's a lot more work involved in current affairs broadcasting than what the likes of Tubridy and D'Arcy do. He's at this a long time now, between this slot and the news at one he did before that. Perhaps he has decided to take more breaks and take things easier. It's debatable whether Miriam is a suitable replacement but she has the heavyweight current affairs background required.

I'm sure there's a lot more work involved in e current affairs broadcasting than what the likes of Tubridy and D'Arcy do. He's at this a long time now, between this slot and the news at one he did before that. Perhaps he has decided to take more breaks and take things easier. It's debatable whether Miriam is a suitable replacement but she has the heavyweight current affairs background required.

Meeriam is no heavyweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭jogdish

Meeriam is no heavyweight.
    +1

It's some country that can keep the whole show afloat

What rule did they want changed exactly? It wasnt clear to me in the interviews they did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm sure there's a lot more work involved in current affairs broadcasting than what the likes of Tubridy and D'Arcy do. He's at this a long time now, between this slot and the news at one he did before that. Perhaps he has decided to take more breaks and take things easier. It's debatable whether Miriam is a suitable replacement but she has the heavyweight current affairs background required.

Whatever about her previous credentials in current affairs she has spent the last 10+ years trying to shed her innate aloofness by honing the voice of a child playing mammy in a Fisher Price kitchen with added "ehmmmmmms".

Anyway she introduced herself on Monday morning by saying she'd be doing the show "for the next few weeks".

humberklog wrote: »
    Whatever about her previous credentials in current affairs she has spent the last 10+ years trying to shed her innate aloofness by honing the voice of a child playing mammy in a Fisher Price kitchen with added "ehmmmmmms".

Anyway she introduced herself on Monday morning by saying she'd be doing the show "for the next few weeks".

Miriam reminds me of being a child in from school with a BIG story to tell and getting these ehmmmmm & knowing right well mammy isn't listening to a word you are saying. The constant deluge of sweetness annoys me ... if she would just get annoyed with someone once in a while. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Callan57 wrote: »
    Miriam reminds me of being a child in from school with a BIG story to tell and getting these ehmmmmm & knowing right well mammy isn't listening to a word you are saying. The constant deluge of sweetness annoys me ... if she would just get annoyed with someone once in a while. :rolleyes:

Precious O'Callaghan only likes to come across as nice.
    As soon as I hear that insincere voice I switch off.
    Can't stand her.

There's a piece on today's show about 'period poverty' i.e. women who can't afford sanitary products.
    This is the level of insanity we are now reaching in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

There's a piece on today's show about 'period poverty' i.e. women who can't afford sanitary products.
    This is the level of insanity we are now reaching in this country

I'm not sure what your point is - do you mean that it's insane that some women can't afford them? Or that they are saying they can't? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Miriam: "How did you feel when you won that...goal?"

I think she's working in the wrong department. She should be head of sport.

Miriam: "How did you feel when you won that...goal?"

I think she's working in the wrong department. She should be head of sport.

"What did you do afterwards? Did you go out and celebrate?" Giggle Giggle Giggle.

dulpit wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your point is - do you mean that it's insane that some women can't afford them? Or that they are saying they can't? :confused:
    It's insane that a topic like this, where the annual costs of said products was pitched at €130 per annum, can feature on Ireland's #1 mid-morning radio show.
    It's also insane that such a term/thing as 'period poverty' was created.

It's insane that a topic like this, where the annual costs of said products was pitched at €130 per annum, can feature on Ireland's #1 mid-morning radio show.
    It's also insane that such a term/thing as 'period poverty' was created.

I don't get your point ... are you saying it's not an issue? or are you, like so many, of the opinion that anything to do with periods should remain the great unmentionable? I imagine 130 is a significant amount of money for a lot of people.

That said I'm not sure period poverty is the best term when I heard it first I thought the issue they were discussing was amenorrhea.

• Advertisement

€130 per annum is not a large amount of money in a country with 1 of the highest dole/disability payments in the world. And in a country where today we learned we need to import tens of thousands of workers because we've a labour shortage.

As for your mentioning of unmentionables...whatever!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement