Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Comhra wrote: »
    Oh My God.......this is a car crash plane crash interview.:eek:

It was ONLY 7,000 ... well now isn't it well for her that she can say ONLY 7,000.

I'd say Leo is having a fit if he is listening to this :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Sean O'Rourke - I think I'd rather explain myself to God himself instead of Sean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'I was just following legal advice - I am the victim here Sean'...not really working is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The old saying, how does it go again? When in a hole, stop digging, or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Playing the usual cards..... female td being victimised, working mother, keyboard warriors.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The old saying, how does it go again? When in a hole, stop digging, or something like that?
    Careful , Potential Back Issue !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deaglan1

Well that went well :rolleyes: My back is aching with laughter - I intend to sue RTE for my painful back. I am committed to getting legal advice on this... just let me put down these two vodkas so I can make that call. I am a strong person. Just because I am a male will not deter me from this action. The silver lining in all of this is that I have learned a lot about people..................not all of them are conniving believers in the compo culture :confused:

washiskin wrote: »
    Playing the usual cards..... female td being victimised, working mother, keyboard warriors.......
    Is this what real feminists stood for ?

'I was just following legal advice - I am the victim here Sean'...not really working is it?

Attack the journalist!!!!! How to breath life into a story & give it another week on the front page.
    Maria Bailey seriously lacking in political savvy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Holy cr*p! Alison O'Connor fairly putting the boot in! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Put the blame where most of it lies, the legal eagles.

O’Rourke is doing a Vincent Browne hammering an easy target.

Sean won’t let go on this one,very surprised at his general tone this morning.

Totally different from usual, I would suggest.

That said Baily was not in FG when the incident happened, made a bad blooper there, and even worse to go on the radio this morning..

Very poor judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,670 ✭✭✭✭zell12

LIVE car crash radio

zell12 wrote: »
    LIVE car crash radio
    Solicitors on Speed Dial .

Put the blame where most of it lies, the legal eagles.

O’Rourke is doing a Vincent Browne hammering an easy target.

Sean won’t let go on this one,very surprised at his general tone this morning.

Totally different from usual, I would suggest.

That said Baily was not in FG when the incident happened, made a bad blooper there, and even worse to go on the radio this morning..

Very poor judgement.

In fairness to SOR, what did she expect him to ask her about? She could hardly have expected him to hand her a cup of tea and a tissue.

It was a very bad judgement call to go on air to try and explain herself, then refuse to answer questions, citing them as inappropriate for someone other than a judge or legal expert to ask.

If she has a mindset typical of FG TDs, I don't think I'd want them running the country.

In fairness to SOR, what did she expect him to ask her about? She could hardly have expected him to hand her a cup of tea and a tissue.

It was a very bad judgement call to go on air to try and explain herself, then refuse to answer questions, citing them as inappropriate for someone other than a judge or legal expert to ask.

If she has a mindset typical of FG TDs, I don't think I'd want them running the country.

It was his aggressive tone of voice which was most noticeable,to me anyway.

I won’t drag the thread off topic by rising to the other jibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,670 ✭✭✭✭zell12

But FG are running the country for eight years now

That's fair enough but I really think a TD of any party should be very cognisant of how any RTE interviewer would have done this interview, and Marian Finucane or Mary Wilson would have been equally hard on her.

She had all the politician's cliche responses lined up and to be honest, I didn't feel any great sympathy at all for her. Just a very bad judgement on her part to do that interview imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭ThePott

Link here if anyone wants to hear it

https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/maria-bailey-1

I didn't hear anything aggressive in his tone ... it was a typical interview with a politician hell bent on making a fool of herself. Sean asked exactly the questions the typical listener would ask which is his job & he just gave her all the rope she need to hang herself (metaphorically speaking).

Callan57 wrote: »
    I didn't hear anything aggressive in his tone ... it was a typical interview with a politician hell bent on making a fool of herself. Sean asked exactly the questions the typical listener would ask which is his job & he just gave her all the rope she need to hang herself (metaphorically speaking).

Well I did, but there you go.

By the way in case there is any doubt I would have zero sympathy for Ms Bailey based on the info available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That was gold! What a battle axe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'd say SOR had to stopping himself from laughing out loud at her ridiculous answers. Dreadful deflection and blaming everyone except herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Listening to that i couldn't help thinking that lass had read long and diligently at the Flynn School of Communications. Mad thing is all the money Leo has splashed out on spin and PR and yet somehow this td was let loose this morning to shat all over her and her party's reputation. Malcolm Tucker will be spinning in his televisual grave right at this moment.

I re listened and you are correct, I got it wrong, I could not fault him.

I didn’t hear it all first time round so only fair to correct the record.

That said Baily was not in FG when the incident happened, made a bad blooper there, and even worse to go on the radio this morning.
    She was a FG councillor though, and had been selected to run in the General Election on the FG ticket.

What the Hell was she thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Joes coming across as incredibly rude arrogant and obnoxious today , we shouldn’t have to pay for this .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jesus, this might actually be worse than Joe Jacobs notorious Iodine Tablets interview with Marian Finucane.

How in the hell did she think this was a good idea?

And from reading other FG reactions it sounds like she didn't get this cleared by the Party either.

It boggles the mind how she can be that arrogantly stupid after the last week shes had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

zell12 wrote: »
    LIVE car crash radio

Absolutely!! When Seán asked her if she had something in both hands, her reply!! 🤣🤣 'Seán, that's for the trial judge to decide!!! 🤣🤣🤣 'I have faith in the Irish judicial system'.
    Leo must have been fuming listening to that. The woman sounded so entitled...don't know how she had the nerve to do that interview....Heard Bertie Ahern yesterday sing her praises and also remarked how he knew her father who, he claimed, was a 'very nice guy'. If you Google him, John Bailey, you'll see that the apple certainly does not fall far from the tree. 😡

She has certainly come out swinging.....to coin a phrase! 🤣 A front page interview on the Sindo yesterday and SOR today. Josepha Madigan's brother is her solicitor, I believe. Not advising her very well, it seems.

Hahahaha heard it on the 1 o clock news. What a car crash! :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

He was just doing his job, as far as I'm concerned. Asking her the questions which the listeners were shouting at her!!
    People are furious at her, not just at her seemingly fraudulent claim, but at her obvious sense of entitlement.

That's fair enough but I really think a TD of any party should be very cognisant of how any RTE interviewer would have done this interview, and Marian Finucane or Mary Wilson would have been equally hard on her.

She had all the politician's cliche responses lined up and to be honest, I didn't feel any great sympathy at all for her. Just a very bad judgement on her part to do that interview imho.

She would have been far better advised to have held her peace after she withdrew her claim, instead of drawing extra adverse attention to the ssituation by portraying herself as a victim, both in her Sindo and SOR's interviews.

+100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Sean O'Rourke is a national treasure. There isn't a better journalist in the country for that sort of interview. Most others would have been badgering her trying to nail her, Sean just knew he had to let her talk and she'd do the rest.

Hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"look sean...i wasn't a TD at the time, I was a councillor though so i should have held myself to a higher standard, the legal team took over and dictated the strategy but it got out of hand and i wanted to cancel it, then the media got a hold of it and it was too late.....my bad.....it's over now, i've nothing more to say, only sorry".

Sean O'Rourke is a national treasure. There isn't a better journalist in the country for that sort of interview. Most others would have been badgering her trying to nail her, Sean just knew he had to let her talk and she'd do the rest.

Hilarious stuff.
    I AM SORRY in advance for the eye-rolling, because I know Pat Kenny is radio marmite, but... imagine, just imagine the grilling that 'Pa' would have given her.

She knew better. If she'd gone on Newstalk (and I'm sure she was invited) she'd have gone into exile by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mattser

I AM SORRY in advance for the eye-rolling, because I know Pat Kenny is radio marmite, but... imagine, just imagine the grilling that 'Pa' would have given her.

She knew better. If she'd gone on Newstalk (and I'm sure she was invited) she'd have gone into exile by now.

Kenny isn't a patch on O'Rourke. Top class performance by Sean this morning.

mattser wrote: »
    Kenny isn't a patch on O'Rourke
    Banned

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

She HAS to be a double agent! At least if she is acting for Fianna Fail it would explain things because surely she is not that dumb.

• Advertisement

She was hoping Rte would look after the Establishment cartel .

She is so dumb she had to be sacrificed .

She HAS to be a double agent! At least if she is acting for Fianna Fail it would explain things because surely she is not that dumb.
    Her Dad's record provides reason to believe that hard necks and utter stupidity are genetically heritable.
    blinding wrote: »
    She was hoping Rte would look after the Establishment cartel .
    I got the feeling Sean O'Rourke was none too pleased with her repeated implications that the interviewer knew her, and that her integrity was a given.

"You know me Sean, I don't go out often..."
    "As you know Sean, my integrity is assured"

etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mattser

Thanks. You're welcome. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm only finding out about this whole 'story' now listening back to podcast.
    She said at least twice that the hotel had agreed to pay for the costs, what happened to this?
    At end Sean said hotel has denied any liability.

The whole thing sounds like a sham from multiple sides.
    I've never heard of Mary before, and this definitely wouldn't encourage me to vote for her

I'm somewhat ok with her claiming back medical costs, which is very different to making a compensation claim of 60k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Where in the pantheon of Irish political interview balls up over the years does Maria Bailey's performance rank ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Where in the pantheon of Irish political interview balls up over the years does Maria Bailey's performance rank ?

Around some classics from the CJH era.

and his FF colleuges. Ray Burke and Brian Cowen of famous post "drink in " morning after interview on morning irelabd come to mind.

• Advertisement

Up there with poor Terence...

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭kazamo

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Up there with Willie O'Dea who after being caught slagging off a SF councillor, faced with full onslaught from SOR, Willie declared he was the victim in all this......nearly crashed the car I was laughing that much.

Priceless radio

Maria and Willie forgot the basics.....when you're already in a hole, stop digging

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

kazamo wrote: »
    Up there with Willie O'Dea who after being caught slagging off a SF councillor, faced with full onslaught from SOR, Willie declared he was the victim in all this......nearly crashed the car I was laughing that much.

Priceless radio

Maria and Willie forgot the basics.....when you're already in a hole, stop digging

Wasn't SO'R's opening line to Willie- "You're a dirty fighter!".

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭kazamo

humberklog wrote: »
    Wasn't SO'R's opening line to Willie- "You're a dirty fighter!".

I think so, have been looking for the audio but can't get it.
    With the rain and thunder, would be a good laugh for a miserable Monday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Absolutely!! When Seán asked her if she had something in both hands, her reply!! 🤣🤣 'Seán, that's for the trial judge to decide!!! 🤣🤣🤣 'I have faith in the Irish judicial system'.
    Leo must have been fuming listening to that. The woman sounded so entitled...don't know how she had the nerve to do that interview....Heard Bertie Ahern yesterday sing her praises and also remarked how he knew her father who, he claimed, was a 'very nice guy'. If you Google him, John Bailey, you'll see that the apple certainly does not fall far from the tree. 😡

I see what you mean.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement