Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

I was listening live and heard this one come on and I said to meself, I'm not going to listen to this eejit, so I turned over to Pat. When Pat went on a break I turned back, and boy was I sorry I hadn't listened to the whole thing. Absolutely feckin' hilarious! I'm going to podacast it later - we can all do with a laugh.

Anyway, what was funny also was the reactions of the others - when Regina Doherty says that you are coming across as entitled, you know that you're doing something wrong!

Tidbit that you SOR listeners mightn't have picked up today - Pat said that there is a rumour that the hotel has CCTV of the incident. Now, that would be interesting to see ...

Up there with poor Terence...

We need a thread for car-crash (whiplash) radio interviews. I'd do it myself only I can't bring myself to listen back to Terence.

Scatalogical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Who was Terence? It doesn't ring a bell with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

elperello wrote: »

Ah poor Terence ... Mary being so gentle with him nearly made it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Where in the pantheon of Irish political interview balls up over the years does Maria Bailey's performance rank ?

Gave Roddy "chicken feed" Molloy a run for his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Mannix Flynn just elected at the 10th count to the last seat in dublin North inner city.... five more years of him on the live line... whoop de doo !

Oops69 wrote: »
    Mannix Flynn just elected at the 10th count to the last seat in dublin North inner city.... five more years of him on the live line... whoop de doo !

Bonus points for getting into a scrap with the Trots over transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

if it wasn't for the exposure he gets on the liveline he wouldn't have a hope of election .... musnt be as active on the ground as he likes to make out .

Oops69 wrote: »
    Dublin South East inner-city.

Expect a call from Mannix's lawyer (Joe Duffy) in 3... 2... 1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Up there with poor Terence...

And Joe Jacob and the iodine tablets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

What struck me about todays interview was that by the end of it SOR was actually trying to help dig her out of the hole.

I think he actually felt sorry for her by the end because she literally hung herself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm only finding out about this whole 'story' now listening back to podcast.
    She said at least twice that the hotel had agreed to pay for the costs, what happened to this?
    At end Sean said hotel has denied any liability.

The whole thing sounds like a sham from multiple sides.
    I've never heard of Mary before, and this definitely wouldn't encourage me to vote for her

I'm somewhat ok with her claiming back medical costs, which is very different to making a compensation claim of 60k.
    I would disagree here. From the parts she divulged in the interview earlier, it's pretty clear that this was her fault it happened. Plus, she was well able to run a 10k a few weeks after it so any injuries can't have been that bad. She doesn't deserve a penny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Where in the pantheon of Irish political interview balls up over the years does Maria Bailey's performance rank ?

Very high. What sets this one apart is the complete lack of self awareness on the part of Maria Bailey. Anybody could have told her that going on radio was a terrible move. The usual rules are to keep your mouth shut and wait for the party to guide the next move. Sure the FG spin factory would have got it off the headlines soon enough. But for some bizarre reason she decided to go on a solo run on SOR where she even more bizarrely dodged all the relevant questions and poured more petrol on the flames in the process.

I'd say the comms office at FG had a collective heart attack.

It was telling that some colleagues that were behind her last week were quietly distancing themselves from her in interviews throughout the day.

mzungu wrote: »
    I would disagree here. From the parts she divulged in the interview earlier, it is pretty clear that this was her fault it happened. Plus, she was well able to run a 10k a few weeks after it so any injuries can't have been that bad. She doesn't deserve a penny.

And she said she had private medical insurance so what possible bills could she have had that added up to 7k.

Most you have to pay with medical insurance is the excess of a few hundred maybe, tops.

Unless she went to Mater Private, no way did she spend 7k.

Oh and btw, apparently the hotel offered her 600 for her "medical" bills. Why didn't she just take that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I think there are no winners, and nobody that comes out of this well.

Bailey should not have come in to studio if she was not prepared to answer questions about the swing incident. When she refused to answer the question about what she hand in her hands when she was sitting on the swing, she immediately looked shifty and having something to hide. If she wanted to get people on her side, she needed to honestly put her case forward as to why her case was legitimate, but she did not do this.

Irresponsible of RTE to allow Alison O'Connor to immediately set the narrative as soon as she had left the studio. The media have a lot of questions to answer about the timing of when they chose to publish the story, how exactly they got the story, the whole tone of their reporting (which presumed the guilt, not innocence, before the trial had taken place), and how they hounded Maria Bailey and her family. RTE present this panel of reporters as supposed objective commentators, but this is a group of friends defending their own stories.

Lastly, I don't know how McDowall is getting off Scott free here. this is his speech from the Seanad.

I just wonder how McDowall would have felt if a member of the Dail had ridiculed one of his clients, Ted Walsh perhaps, in front of a national audience before the trial had even started. RTE didn't seem to want to allow any questioning of his actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Bailey should not have come in to studio if she was not prepared to answer questions about the swing incident. When she refused to answer the question about what she hand in her hands when she was sitting on the swing, she immediately looked shifty and having something to hide. If she wanted to get people on her side, she needed to honestly put her case forward as to why her case was legitimate, but she did not do this.

Irresponsible of RTE to allow Alison O'Connor to immediately set the narrative as soon as she had left the studio. The media have a lot of questions to answer about the timing of when they chose to publish the story, how exactly they got the story, the whole tone of their reporting (which presumed the guilt, not innocence, before the trial had taken place), and how they hounded Maria Bailey and her family. RTE present this panel of reporters as supposed objective commentators, but this is a group of friends defending their own stories.

Lastly, I don't know how McDowall is getting off Scott free here. this is his speech from the Seanad.

I just wonder how McDowall would have felt if a member of the Dail had ridiculed one of his clients, Ted Walsh perhaps, in front of a national audience before the trial had even started. RTE didn't seem to want to allow any questioning of his actions.

What's wrong with that speech? Nothing at all, it's all the truth.

Also what trial?? This is not a criminal case, at least not yet....

• Advertisement

I just wonder how McDowall would have felt if a member of the Dail had ridiculed one of his clients, Ted Walsh perhaps,
    You're well out of order here Jeremy. There is no question of Ted Walsh's standing and this Forum is not the place for that kind of comparison.

Please do not drag other cases into this, especially where a person has been completely vindicated

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deaglan1

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sean O'Rourke and his show are winners and they come out of it really well. The hotel come out of it really well too even by Bailey's statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will the hotel see an increase in numbers, to have a go on the swing?

kingston-rossdale-is-taking-over-coldwater-park-in-beverly-hills-ca-as-if-giving-another-girl-a-doll-of-your-own-mother-isnt-good-enough-kingston-shows-off-to-the-public-by-riding-the-swing-with-no-hands-he-also-puts-on-an-oversized-pair-of-blue-sunglasses-to-give-his-fans-a-laugh-gsi-media-310-450-0440-310-990-0532-310-505-8447-image236238706.html

NIMAN wrote: »
    Will the hotel see an increase in numbers, to have a go on the swing?

kingston-rossdale-is-taking-over-coldwater-park-in-beverly-hills-ca-as-if-giving-another-girl-a-doll-of-your-own-mother-isnt-good-enough-kingston-shows-off-to-the-public-by-riding-the-swing-with-no-hands-he-also-puts-on-an-oversized-pair-of-blue-sunglasses-to-give-his-fans-a-laugh-gsi-media-310-450-0440-310-990-0532-310-505-8447-image236238706.html

Adult object only ofcourse NIMAN. The swing should have the warning "Over 18's only. Please do not use if you suffer from .... "

Mannix Flynn & the Taliban ... Sean must be going for two in a row :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bit of a ding dong here

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Two annoying attention seeking gits arguing with each other.

Never looked forward to a commercial break so much before

Pair of Muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The PBP shower certainly know how to get publicity, free publicity.

For a lot with so little electoral support, they are involved in every dogfight going.

Nobody seems to be able to turn the heat on them.

The PBP shower certainly know how to get publicity, free publicity.

For a lot with so little electoral support, they are involved in every dogfight going.

Nobody seems to be able to turn the heat on them.

Mannix definitely not the man for that job anyway :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm only finding out about this whole 'story' now listening back to podcast.
    She said at least twice that the hotel had agreed to pay for the costs, what happened to this?
    At end Sean said hotel has denied any liability.

The whole thing sounds like a sham from multiple sides.
    I've never heard of Mary before, and this definitely wouldn't encourage me to vote for her

I'm somewhat ok with her claiming back medical costs, which is very different to making a compensation claim of 60k.

the hotel offered her medical costs but she turned them down and opted for the high court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

the hotel offered her medical costs but she turned them down and opted for the high court.
    When your on your High Horse

then

I suppose the High Court is the only Court at your Level .

S'OR's "comedy bypass" kicking in nicely there with Abie.

elperello wrote: »
    S'OR's "comedy bypass" kicking in nicely there with Abie.
    You'd think John Bowman would sit young Abie down, and tell him to cop on.

I say young, but he must be rising 40 by now.

I went to see Abie PB's one-man 'comedy' show 'Jesus, the Guantanamo Years' in The Pavillon about ten years ago. My abiding memory is 90 minutes of audience silence (the polite laughter ended after ten minutes), and afterwards, strangers spontaneously breaking into conversation about how awful it was.

Can't believe he's still at this schtick. Even Seán O'Rourke seemed fed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

humberklog wrote: »
    Sean O'Rourke and his show are winners and they come out of it really well. The hotel come out of it really well too even by Bailey's statement.

I disagree. SoR went very easy on her in that interview. He left a couple of empty busses pass without raising his hand. Hes a much better interviewer than that. Don't know why he would do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Eoin O'Broin was on this morning talking about a new book that he has written about housing.

Sean asked him about what could be done about problem tenants. Eoin said that he has provided solutions in his book.

It's a pity Sean didn't follow up there, as I would be intersted to hear what those solutions are.

Not that I'm carrying a can for landlords, but I am interested in hearing both sides of the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

serfboard wrote: »
    Eoin O'Broin was on this morning talking about a new book that he has written about housing.

Sean asked him about what could be done about problem tenants. Eoin said that he has provided solutions in his book.

It's a pity Sean didn't follow up there, as I would be intersted to hear what those solutions are.

Not that I'm carrying a can for landlords, but I am interested in hearing both sides of the debate.

From either SF or Solidarity..……:rolleyes:………no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and you'll be %&*$ed if you're buying that guys book.

You could request the book from your local library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shatter practically got to read his entire buke there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Shatter or should I say Shooter has taken aim at Leo today while launching his new book. Great radio and nice to see them turning on themselves.
    What a nest of vipers FG seem to be. No different from any of the other parties they try to set themselves above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shatter or should I say Shooter has taken aim at Leo today while launching his new book. Great radio and nice to see them turning on themselves.
    What a nest of vipers FG seem to be. No different from any of the other parties they try to set themselves above.

The picture Shatter painted right up to and including his comments on 'swingate' depict a party full of politicians concerned more about image than getting a credible job done.
    Varadkar appears to be a toxic influence as the ringleader of this.

Family Carers Ireland are a godsend when you feel you have nobody to turn to even if it’s just for a chat.

Carers are treated so badly and I can emphasise with this woman.

How confident can we be in Eamon Ryan's advise on heating systems ... given his previous advice on diesel cars.

You'd think John Bowman would sit young Abie down, and tell him to cop on.

I say young, but he must be rising 40 by now.

I went to see Abie PB's one-man 'comedy' show 'Jesus, the Guantanamo Years' in The Pavillon about ten years ago. My abiding memory is 90 minutes of audience silence (the polite laughter ended after ten minutes), and afterwards, strangers spontaneously breaking into conversation about how awful it was.

Can't believe he's still at this schtick. Even Seán O'Rourke seemed fed up.

John and the Mrs. always remind me of the Modern Parents from Viz magazine.
    They've managed to raise at least two morons completely lacking in self awareness.

I could just about forgive them for Jonathan (RIP) because he did have a certain bohemian charm about him that was tolerable in small doses back in pre internet Ireland.

This Abie lad... Total man child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Abie is RTÉ royalty

He’s researching for the Saturday lunchtime political debate show these days

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

Every time Shatter said 'Varadkar', he actually said 'Varadakar',

It's petty ****e like that, that drives me mad.

He knows his name but chose to say it wrong, so even if Shatter was correct in what he was saying, he comes across as a whinging biitch.

Much in the same way older FF TD's say Fine Gael using English pronunciation for the word Fine, antagonistic just for the sake of it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Shatter's inability to speak like a normal person when giving interviews doesn't do him any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Shatter's inability to speak like a normal person when giving interviews doesn't do him any favours.

Donoghue is the same, talking down to the serfs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Kenny B wrote: »
    Every time Shatter said 'Varadkar', he actually said 'Varadakar',

It's petty ****e like that, that drives me mad.

He knows his name but chose to say it wrong, so even if Shatter was correct in what he was saying, he comes across as a whinging biitch.

Much in the same way older FF TD's say Fine Gael using English pronunciation for the word Fine, antagonistic just for the sake of it,

Ironic, with him the one reading anti semitism into everything including the well known anti semitic insult of arrogance. Like something from an Ali G parody.

He career was ended by his own hubris. Treated Mick Wallace like something on his shoe, a mucksavage from Wexico, lowering the tone in the Dail chamber, couldn't resist blabbing gossip on live tv about him getting stopped at a checkpoint etc. Deep down he feels superior to the likes of Mick and Claire Daly, which he may well be but it doesn't go down well with colleagues, voters etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement