Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Conor84 wrote: »
    With everything (media reports, interviews, long holidays) pointing to Sean O'Rourke's imminent retirement it would have been much better if RTE had given various contenders a week each or something to cover his Summer break rather than genuinely assigning Miriam for the duration.

I think she is good enough on TV but on radio she jars. Voice is so important and 2 hours of Mo'C can be painful on the ears just as would be the case say with Philip Boucher Hayes (good lawrd). In some of the interviews I've heard she is obviously reading from a list of questions and doesn't have the ability to engage. Her over emotion can be counter producative and her almost cannonisation of Margaret Cash (lastyear??) was painful especially with her breathless interview in a hotel room.

I would have liked to hear Bryan Dobson in the slot but think he might have faced similar issues to Miriam O'Callaghan although he is pretty excellent on Morning Ireland. It would have been interesting to hear Rachel English in the slot as I think she is a very good presenter and ger interests appear to go beyond current affairs - she has very good and genuine interactions on sports for example whereas with others it seems forced. Maybe Audrey Carville too.

I think undortunately Miriam will get the gig but I think that would be a bad and lazy decision. I do think it will be a female presenter so would hope they would look at Claire Byrne. i rate her much more than MMOC and think she is more genuine, genuinely than Miriam. She has a more pleasing voice. I think although current affairs are her forte she would be much better able ro mix it with the lighter topics.

Agree completly, I can take her on Prime Time but all the faux emotionalism gets tedious & what is it with that "accent"! Don't get me started on the pretend interest in sport, which is IMO more than sufficiently covered on sports progs anyway why is it felt necessary to shove it into every programme especially with broadcasters who clearly have zero interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Callan57 wrote: »
    Agree completly, I can take her on Prime Time but all the faux emotionalism gets tedious & what is it with that "accent"! Don't get me started on the pretend interest in sport, which is IMO more than sufficiently covered on sports progs anyway why is it felt necessary to shove it into every programme especially with broadcasters who clearly have zero interest.

Agree there Callan, Meeeeriams accent means I haven’t tuned in to that slot since she started..... couldn’t take two hours of ‘thah’ never mind two minutes.

RTE need to be very careful as to who the appoint to that slot, it’s really the prime ‘setter offer’ for the day once the news and current affairs punters are finished.

It requires,in my opinion , a special kind of person who can pull it off.

You saw what happened when poor John Murray took over the 9-10 slot back in the day.How anyone in RTE could have thought that John was the person for that job was challenged in some way.

Now nothing against John, was passable on MI, is just about passable on Sports, but hold a one hour magazine program together.. no way Jose.

A baggy arsed clown could have seen that...yet it took them three or four years for the penny to drop.

Clare Byrne is the obvious choice for that slot if Sean goes, neutral accent, well informed, no obvious ‘leanings’ , unless there is some other relative of someone out in Montrose waiting in the wings, she’s my tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Claire Byrne is the obvious choice if they go for a female presenter ....also think the news guy Christopher McKevitt has done very well in the mid day news slot and would also be a contender.

Meeeereams uber nasal D4 occent would surely rule her out from a prime slot on a National Radio Station,

Thonk yuuuu sow muuuuch.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Miriam O’Callaghan, nobody makes me change stations as fast.

Miriam O’Callaghan, nobody makes me change stations as fast.
    Saw her in Ranelagh this evening. That is to say, I heard her a good 40 paces before I saw her. Some pair of lungs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Saw her in Ranelagh this evening. That is to say, I heard her a good 40 paces before I saw her. Some pair of lungs.

The most fake person in the media.

The most fake person in the media.
    Ah I think that's very harsh. I think she's genuinely (oops) empathetic and kind-hearted.

Is she the best interviewer in the world? Of course not.
    Does her voice grate a bit over 2 hours? Absolutely.
    Is her kind persona all an act, the fakest in the media? No chance. Of all the broadcasters deserving of such aspersions, O'Callaghan doesn't even come close.

Most people are good at detecting insincerity, and I reckon most people quite like Miriam O'Callaghan, even if she isn't suited to this format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Tbf to Miriam, she seems to put in the hours. When she started covering for Seán, she was the first to admit that the Monday Sports Review would not have been her forte. However, she makes a big effort with it and gels well with the expert Sports reviewers. Others have mentioned Claire B as a likely replacement-I have listened to a LOT of Radio 1 this Summer and can only recall her presenting 2 News at 1 shows. Is she on holidays too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

LBC ?where do I get that ...got so annoyed listening to "Thonk you sow muuch" Meeeriam that i nearly flung the faithfull Roberts DAB out the (unopened) window.

Was a close call ......

Download the Global Player app. LBC is on it together with many other stations in their stable.

You will not regret it. It is a much better up to date and relevant Liveline with so many different presenters. It is stuck to my ear now. Well Brexit helps that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Conor84 wrote: »
    Her over emotion can be counter producative

Yeah, herself and Aine Lawlor really annoy me with the way they try to "inject" emotion in to the topic. Miriam is particularly bad when reading out the intro to a topic - fake enthusiasm. Aine Lawlor is bad when discussing sad items, she feels obliged to emote in sympathy with the victims of the story, and it comes across as very contrived and fake.

I think it would be worth giving the show to John Murray. As was said above, he was never suited to the 9-10am light entertainment slot, but he is solid on the political stuff. And at least it would get him out of the sports department which he seems to hate.

Yeah, herself and Aine Lawlor really annoy me with the way they try to "inject" emotion in to the topic. Miriam is particularly bad when reading out the intro to a topic - fake enthusiasm. Aine Lawlor is bad when discussing sad items, she feels obliged to emote in sympathy with the victims of the story, and it comes across as very contrived and fake.

I think it would be worth giving the show to John Murray. As was said above, he was never suited to the 9-10am light entertainment slot, but he is solid on the political stuff. And at least it would get him out of the sports department which he seems to hate.

It is who you know, not what your gifts are in Rte AFAIS.

I confess to have ignored RTE and NEWSTALK from my listening during the silly season. They are both totally dire.

Kenny is back, great, but SOR is retiring, so that's a NO from me for Miriam of the Long Vowels in the interregnum. Sorry now.

Kenny is back, great, but SOR is retiring, so that's a NO from me for Miriam of the Long Vowels in the interregnum. Sorry now.

Has there been confirmation that this is happening, I've been out of the loop and not really listening to the show with Miriam presenting. Was it announced?

Has there been confirmation that this is happening, I've been out of the loop and not really listening to the show with Miriam presenting. Was it announced?
    Irish Daily Star ran a story saying all RTE employees (SO'R is one) have to retire at 65 yrs.

That was a red-top quoting an unnamed source, so not only do we have to take that with a pinch of salt, there would be nothing to prevent SO'R working as a contractor after official retirement.

Bottom line: We're no wiser today than we were last year.

NOT. A. CHANCE. IN. THE. WORLD

AFAIK not announced, but speculated upon for a long time.

He may do another season until his retirement date. Dunno. But he knows that we know he will retire soon anyway.

The speculation is about who will replace him eventually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

You will not regret it. It is a much better up to date and relevant Liveline with so many different presenters. It is stuck to my ear now. Well Brexit helps that too!
    Don't agree with this.

I listen to LBC too, but only to James O'Brien on playback on their app. A station that features Nigel Farage, Jonathon Rees-Mogg and even Iain Dale is not for me.

Miriam interviewing Simon coveny.

Coveny is ok, Miriam treating interview like she's on "Saturday View", a notch down from "SOR" and "This week"

These two don't like each other do they? Like a bickering married couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Aine lawlor is never able to keep her left wing political views in check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

I was listening to ghe show this morning (Wed 21 Aug) and they had this segment on about a sea bin in Howth. As part of it ghey interviewed a 12 yo girl who raised money to do something similar in Dun Laoighre 2 year years ago. The girl had she strangest accent, very much like posh South England voice, I heard some similar accents, though not as extreme, when RTE interviewed some you children in Cork at the time of the Climate Change school walkout a while back.
    Anyhow I was wondering is there some new accent (like upper class English voice) developing among young Irish children?

• Advertisement

wagtail99 wrote: »
    I was listening to ghe show this morning (Wed 21 Aug) and they had this segment on about a sea bin in Howth. As part of it ghey interviewed a 12 yo girl who raised money to do something similar in Dun Laoighre 2 year years ago. The girl had she strangest accent, very much like posh South England voice, I heard some similar accents, though not as extreme, when RTE interviewed some you children in Cork at the time of the Climate Change school walkout a while back.
    Anyhow I was wondering is there some new accent (like upper class English voice) developing among young Irish children?

New!!!!

Developing!!!!

We got Rip Van Winkle here!!!

Jeeez.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yeah, herself and Aine Lawlor really annoy me with the way they try to "inject" emotion in to the topic. Miriam is particularly bad when reading out the intro to a topic - fake enthusiasm.

Miriam is desperate for little short 'aahs' for want of a better description in those situations. Someone is describing something maybe a little traumatic and she utters these little 'ahs' & 'ohs' in the background. First time you hear it, it's grand but after a while, it's just fecking grating!

wagtail99 wrote: »
    They're kids, man. Maybe one or both of their parents are from the UK, who knows. Just let them be.

Remember the message everyone - All Catholics are the oppressors, All Muslims are the oppressed,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Remember the message everyone - All Catholics are the oppressors, All Muslims are the oppressed,

What was that about?

Jesus, Marion crunching the gears there... Changes from vaccination to light-hearted music in an instant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Newsroom at 11 o'clock said that Ged Nash was a Labour TD for Louth. He would like to be, but at present he is a Senator.

The Newsroom at 11 o'clock said that Ged Nash was a Labour TD for Louth. He would like to be, but at present he is a Senator.

I'm sure the rte newsroom is unionised and they would like him to be too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

He used to be, when he was he campaigned to abolish the senate, then he wasn't a TD anymore. Then, lo and behold, he became a Senator. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This guy not putting up with Miriam's sh1te.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »

Redwood?, hes a nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I know. But he took the wind out of her sails.

Like him, I hate the way RTE keep using the "CRASH out" phrase.

How in God's name can an elected Irish politician keep calling it WestminIster?

Because there are arseholes out there who think stuff like that doesn’t matter, that’s why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Redwood?, hes a nut.

Redwood is far from a nut, he is a bad dude however

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Redwood is far from a nut, he is a bad dude however

Correct, but could do with a deck shoe delivered robustly into the plum-bag, I feel.

I hate the way RTE keep using the "CRASH out" phrase.
    What phrase would you prefer?

"No-deal" doesn't seem to convey the dire conequences, with anecdoctal reports (from the Brexit thread) of a lot of English people thinking that it means nothing will change.

How about the phrase some are using - Kamikaze Brexit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I hear elected British politicians calling it WeSSminster a lot.

I hear elected British politicians calling it WeSSminster a lot.

Lazy tongues.... that’s the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Some Brits refer to Ireland as Island.

RTE won't be happy with Royston changing from Democrat to Republican. One of the researchers is going to get a right telling off for not finding that out before issuing the invitation.

Great to have SOR back though.

RTE won't be happy with Royston changing from Democrat to Republican.
    Wondered why we ever had to hear from that guy anymore now that he's not involved in Irish politics.

I never found his comments that insightful, and the fact that he's now become a US Republican only confirms what I thought.

Seems fairly wide and rough speculation about how much TDs are making from rentals.

And a minority of TDs are doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Regina Doherty diving for cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Regina Doherty diving for cover.

What did she do now?

• Advertisement

What did she do now?

She hastily contacted the SoR show to inform them that she had 'disposed' (her word) of her rental properties

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

She hastily contacted the SoR show to inform them that she had 'disposed' (her word) of her rental properties
    Did she ‘ do ‘ the Tenants as well ?:eek:

Eanna going to go on another rant !.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Such a sad interview with Charlie Redmond, Sean handled it very well. So young to go like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I just heard Vicky Pollard being interviewed on the radio.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement