Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

Yes you did Sean, yes you did. Why don't you ask for the provision centre to be moved up there beside RTE if you are that offended with how it all panned out.
    There are Direct Provision centres in Dublin, there's one not top far from RTÉ in leafy, middle-class Stillorgan. Nobody there is bothered. I live about the same distance from RTE in another direction and I genuinely don't know anyone here who would oppose a DP centre. It genuinely isn't an issue.

By all means, they should be built here if people in Oughterard are getting their knickers so badly twisted.

Edit. After pressing post, I googled and found out there is a direct privision centre 1km from me. Didn't know, don't care.

I know there is a suggestion that Oughterard is too small to cope, but what about the fact that most of these asylum seekers will be allowed to work and contribute to the community, and their kids will be increasing capitation funding for local schools. Isn't that what rural communities are crying out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

SOR:"Do you know how the rubble got there?"
    Rory:"No"
    SOR:"Of course not" Sarcastically.

SOR follows up a few minutes after with "I didn't mean to imply you had anything to do with it. "

Yes you did Sean, yes you did. Why don't you ask for the provision centre to be moved up there beside RTE if you are that offended with how it all panned out.

Legal team rang the show's Producer who had a word into Sean's ear is the likely scenario!
    I thought Rory was remiss not to pull him on it as soon as he said it

I know there is a suggestion that Oughterard is too small to cope, but what about the fact that most of these asylum seekers will be allowed to work and contribute to the community, and their kids will be increasing capitation funding for local schools. Isn't that what rural communities are crying out for?

If it all only worked out so beautifully, wha!

jay0109 wrote: »
    If it all only worked out so beautifully, wha!

Hasn't it?

DP centres aren't like traveller halting sites -- as we are constantly reminded by people who oppose migration, asylum seekers are very often middle-class people anyway. They tend to want to work, in fact the only reason they now can work is because an asylum seeker took a Supreme Court challenge to that effect.

How is this not working out well for local communities? Isn't it particularly ideal for communities who need young workers and families (to keep schools well-funded) because of rural depopulation? Genuine question. I don't see any sense in complaining about a rising population in areas that need it.

Hasn't it?

DP centres aren't like traveller halting sites -- as we are constantly reminded by people who oppose migration, asylum seekers are very often middle-class people anyway. They tend to want to work, in fact the only reason they now can work is because an asylum seeker took a Supreme Court challenge to that effect.

How is this not working out well for local communities? Isn't it particularly ideal for communities who need young workers and families (to keep schools well-funded) because of rural depopulation? Genuine question. I don't see any sense in complaining about a rising population in areas that need it.

I've never heard any of that about them being 'middle class' etc.

You seem to think there's thousands of workers looking for a start amongst asylum seekers. Yet from my reading on the subject, 1/4 are minors and probably another high % are minding them.
    Your just short of saying that there's a lot of Doctors and Engineers in DP centres ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

SOR follows up a few minutes after with "I didn't mean to imply you had anything to do with it. "

I was driving all day so couldn't post. You are 100%correct. I was disgusted with O'Rourke when he said that. I thought his whole interview with yer man was confrontational. I hoped hed bite O Rourkes head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I was driving all day so couldn't post. You are 100%correct. I was disgusted with O'Rourke when he said that. I thought his whole interview with yer man was confrontational. I hoped hed bite O Rourkes head off.

I was actually shocked at Sean O'Rourke, who is probably my favourite current affairs. Partly because he is one of the last few presenters who is (usually) fair and impartial in his questioning.

I thought exactly the same as the other poster above - the legal team must have put a phone call through to SOR. The guy, Ruari should have responded with "Sean, if you have any evidence linking me to the dumping of rubbish in Oughterard then I suggest you take it to the Gardaí instead of questioning my character on a nationally broadcasted radio show." I think Sean has been listening to Joe Duffy for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Dublin is the most multi cultural, diverse part of the country.

So.?. You could almost fit the whole village of Ouchterard on the RTE campus.

I was actually shocked at Sean O'Rourke, who is probably my favourite current affairs. Partly because he is one of the last few presenters who is (usually) fair and impartial in his questioning.

I thought exactly the same as the other poster above - the legal team must have put a phone call through to SOR. The guy, Ruari should have responded with "Sean, if you have any evidence linking me to the dumping of rubbish in Oughterard then I suggest you take it to the Gardaí instead of questioning my character on a nationally broadcasted radio show." I think Sean has been listening to Joe Duffy for too long.

Presumably you would favour this kind of protest going forward so - dumping rubble where you like to prevent workers doing their jobs. The sudden support for direct action in these situations always surprises me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not so sure about SO'R lately.
    He is a good presenter in a tough gig and I have respect for his track record.
    He has a great grounding in journalism.
    But lately he seems to be too quick to give vent to his inner grumpy old man.
    It's not edifying and someone needs to have a chat with him.

So.?. You could almost fit the whole village of Ouchterard on the RTE campus.

But the point that Dublin doesn't have refugees, migrants etc is so daft. And the sky hasn't fallen in.

But the point that Dublin doesn't have refugees, migrants etc is so daft. And the sky hasn't fallen in.

That centre in Ouchterard would have vastly more severe consequences for that village than it would in Dublin.

That centre in Ouchterard would have vastly more severe consequences for that village than it would in Dublin.

Is this based on something you heard?

Like what, and why aren't we seeing these severe consequences elsewhere in rural Ireland?

The last news item I can find about asylum seekers living in direct provision in my (very rural) home county it was about them being honoured for volunteer work in the community.

Seriously, what are these local consequences?

A man at a protest meeting at Ouchterard was recently quoted on radio as telling everyone to lock up their daughters. Another couple said the woman of the house wlll be afraid to go anywhere alone again. That's the kind of nonsense people are coming out with 'but they're not racists' of course.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I thought Ballyhaunis was, no?

humberklog wrote: »
    I thought Ballyhaunis was, no?

The 2006 census showed that Gort was 40% Brazilian. That's now dwindled to a tiny number, because when their jobs disappeared, they moved elsewhere for work. The sky didn't fall in. I suspect Gort is literally the poorer without them.

Although they do still have a Brazilian lad playing GAA for them I think. I wonder whether Oughterard Gaelic Football could do with some fresh blood.

The 2006 census showed that Gort was 40% Brazilian. That's now dwindled to a tiny number, because when their jobs disappeared, they moved elsewhere for work. The sky didn't fall in. I suspect Gort is literally the poorer without them.

Although they do still have a Brazilian lad playing GAA for them I think. I wonder whether Oughterard Gaelic Football could do with some fresh blood.

Yeah the jobs going had a big effect on the Brazilians in Gort. However in Gort back then it really was mostly Brazilian and Irish (and quite a few Pakistanis) but that's not hugely multicutural.

However the census in 2011 showed Ballyhaunis as having 40% declaring as white Irish which put it top of the list for multiculturalism in Ireland (per capita of course) as many of the non white Irish came from a large mix of nations.
    In 2015 Scoil Iosa NS was showing the white Irish kids accounting for 28.5% (92 out of 322 pupils) which is far ahead Dublin in terms of multiculturalism and diversity.

Yeah the jobs going had a big effect on the Brazilians in Gort. However in Gort back then it really was mostly Brazilian and Irish (and quite a few Pakistanis but that's not hugely multicutural.
    Yeah it was an interesting shift in demographics. When the jobs left, the newcomers did also. That's positive in one way, as the town didn't become a poverty drain. But how do you make out that an interaction of Brazilian, Pakistani and Irish is not multicultural?
    However the census in 2011 showed Ballyhaunis as having 40% declaring as white Irish which put it top of the list for multiculturalism in Ireland (per capita of course) as many of the non white Irish came from a large mix of nations.
    In 2015 Scoil Iosa NS was showing the white Irish kids accounting for 28.5% (92 out of 322 pupils) which is far ahead Dublin in terms of multiculturalism and diversity.

Cool, so that's pretty much definitely the most diverse town in Ireland, in ethnic terms. I'm sure there are some problems, so whhat as far as you know are the local crises? Bearing in mind that every rural town already suffers to roughly the same extent.

Yeah it was an interesting shift in demographics. When the jobs left, the newcomers did also. That's positive in one way, as the town didn't become a poverty drain. But how do you make out that an interaction of Brazilian, Pakistani and Irish is not multicultural?

Cool, so that's pretty much definitely the most diverse town in Ireland, in ethnic terms. I'm sure there are some problems, so whhat as far as you know are the local crises? Bearing in mind that every rural town already suffers to roughly the same extent.

I don't know of any crises. I was responding to another poster that said Dublin was the most multicultural and diverse part of the country and I don't think that that's the case. That's all. Why are you asking me about my knowledge of local crises?

I say Gort wasn't particularly multicultural as it was predominantly 2 cultures (Brazilian and Irish).

• Advertisement

I don't know of any crises. I was responding to another poster that said Dublin was the most multicultural and diverse part of the country and I don't think that that's the case. That's all. Why are you asking me about my knowledge of local crises?
    oh just because you quoted from local national school statistics. I assumed you were familiar with the community. My fault for assuming you knew the area.
    I say Gort wasn't particularly multicultural as it was predominantly 2 cultures (Brazilian and Irish).
    Multi just refers to more than 1. You mentioned 3 separate ethnicities living side by side in that town, "quite a few" Pakistanis included. It does sound like it might have been fairly multicultural and unremarkable.

oh just because you quoted from local national school statistics. I assumed you were familiar with the community. My fault for assuming you knew the area.

Multi just refers to more than 1. You mentioned 3 separate ethnicities living side by side in that town, "quite a few" Pakistanis included. It does sound like it might have been fairly multicultural and unremarkable.

I do know the area well. Just back from Cloonfad. There was an article in Irish Examiner in 2015 that carried those stats. I remembered it as I knew people involved in the story.

As for clarifying what I take as meaning multicultural- it's too pedantic, tiresome and late to be engaging in that conversation for me.

As for clarifying what I take as meaning multicultural- it's too pedantic, tiresome and late to be engaging in that conversation for me.
    That's fine, but the fact that a significant number of Pakistanis apparently lived there along with a population that was 40% Brazilian and otherwise Irish, probably means there was a fair bit of the old multiculturalism in Gort.

Maybe you disagree, but I think most people would suspect there might have been a few celebrations for Carnival, probably observances for Ramadan and Eid, maybe a Saint Patrick's Day float or two. And the sky didn't fall. That's all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There are Direct Provision centres in Dublin, there's one not top far from RTÉ in leafy, middle-class Stillorgan. Nobody there is bothered. I live about the same distance from RTE in another direction and I genuinely don't know anyone here who would oppose a DP centre. It genuinely isn't an issue.

By all means, they should be built here if people in Oughterard are getting their knickers so badly twisted.

Edit. After pressing post, I googled and found out there is a direct privision centre 1km from me. Didn't know, don't care.

Every time Wealthy Irish People are on the Irish Media they make it clear that they want Direct Provision Centres / Traveller Halting Sites in their areas .

The answer is blindingly obvious ; Put the direct Provision Centres / Traveller Halting Sites in the Wealthy areas where they want them . These people will be delighted to get a full-some and sincere welcome .

blinding wrote: »
    The answer is blindingly obvious ; Put the direct Provision Centres / Traveller Halting Sites in the Wealthy areas where they want them . These people will be delighted to get a full-some and sincere welcome .

Well except Pat Kenny of course, who would object to a Sparrow nesting in his hedge.

Every time Wealthy Irish People are on the Irish Media they make it clear that they want Direct Provision Centres / Traveller Halting Sites in their areas .

how are DP centres remotely related to traveller halting sites? On what planet are they even approximately the same thing?

Hotels and Spars and even churches (can't find parking anywhere on a Sunday morning on my road) are probably more disruptive than DP centres. Will someone please show any documented problem with them?

Poor poor interview form from Minister for Justice!

Trying to wriggle out of security issues in Oughterard and nothing more.

Well done Sean as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Poor poor interview form from Minister for Justice!

Trying to wriggle out of security issues in Oughterard and nothing more.

Well done Sean as usual.

Hmmm... listened myself... and didn’t see that issue.

What “security issues” was he “trying to wriggle out of” as a matter of interest.

how are DP centres remotely related to traveller halting sites? On what planet are they even approximately the same thing?

Hotels and Spars and even churches (can't find parking anywhere on a Sunday morning on my road) are probably more disruptive than DP centres. Will someone please show any documented problem with them?
    The wealthy people on Rte are always in favour of them in their areas .

Obvious solution = Put them in the wealthy areas .

• Advertisement

Again, that's absolutely fine. And they already are in those suburbs. If they were actually disruptive to local communities, I'm sure someone would have posted evidence by now. You just know they've been googling.

I'm sure the people of Oughterard are delighted with themselves but they haven't exactly shone themselves in the best light these past weeks. And maybe they don't care, which is fair enough.

Again, that's absolutely fine. And they already are in those suburbs. If they were actually disruptive to local communities, I'm sure someone would have posted evidence by now. You just know they've been googling.
    The wealthy areas want them . Put them there = Job done , Jobs a good one . Everyone happy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm sure the people of Oughterard are delighted with themselves but they haven't exactly shone themselves in the best light these past weeks. And maybe they don't care, which is fair enough.

They made a holy show of themselves in front of the nations Liberal absolutists.

So Dublin isn't the most diverse region of the country?

The post I quoted from you said Dublin was the most diverse part of the country. I may have read "Part" differently than you meant.

It depends on how your measuring it. Here the 2016 census...

Table 1.2 Towns with the highest percentage of non-Irish nationals, 2016 TownCountyNumber of residents% of non-Irish nationalsNumber of non-Irish nationalsThe largest non-Irish group (number) BallyhaunisMayo2,38339.5941Polish - 159 EdgeworthstownLongford2,06232.3667Polish - 163 BallymahonLongford1,86632.1599Polish - 273 BallyjamesduffCavan2,68930.2812Polish - 311 MonaghanMonaghan7,59730.12,287Lithuanian - 1,004 SaggartDublin3,14528.9909Polish - 326 LongfordLongford10,01127.42,740Polish - 1,004 CahirTipperary3,59027.3979Polish - 340 GortGalway2,95126.6785Brazilian - 397 CavanCavan10,65626.22,790Polish - 827

Made a balls of linking that but you get the gist. Also according to 2016 census going by county Galway comes out top, followed by Dublin City, then Fingal and then...Longford in at no.4:).

• Advertisement

The post I quoted from you said Dublin was the most diverse part of the country. I may have read "Part" differently than you meant.

It depends on how your measuring it. Here the 2016 census...

Table 1.2 Towns with the highest percentage of non-Irish nationals, 2016 TownCountyNumber of residents% of non-Irish nationalsNumber of non-Irish nationalsThe largest non-Irish group (number) BallyhaunisMayo2,38339.5941Polish - 159 EdgeworthstownLongford2,06232.3667Polish - 163 BallymahonLongford1,86632.1599Polish - 273 BallyjamesduffCavan2,68930.2812Polish - 311 MonaghanMonaghan7,59730.12,287Lithuanian - 1,004 SaggartDublin3,14528.9909Polish - 326 LongfordLongford10,01127.42,740Polish - 1,004 CahirTipperary3,59027.3979Polish - 340 GortGalway2,95126.6785Brazilian - 397 CavanCavan10,65626.22,790Polish - 827

With respect, it is blatantly obvious that the Dublin area is the most diverse area of the country.

With respect, it is blatantly obvious that the Dublin area is the most diverse area of the country.

I walked from O'Connell Street to Wicklow Street today for the first time in about 18 months and I was pretty shocked. I don't think I heard one person speaking English. We truly are becoming a minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I walked from O'Connell Street to Wicklow Street today for the first time in about 18 months and I was pretty shocked. I don't think I heard one person speaking English. We truly are becoming a minority.

There is no danger of English speakers becoming a minority. That is not a proper sampling method to decide. Go to a game in Croke Park or the Aviva and you will get a different experience.

Maybe try to get out more?

And anyway, isn't Irish supposed to be our national language.

There must be nearly 50 people per square-metre per minute on that stretch of road at peak times. I'd be surprised if you managed to hear anything coherent at all.

Do you imagine all the foreigners are walking back and forth between McDonald's of O'Connell Street and AIB on Grafton?

And as has been pointed out, the first language of this country is not English anyway. Is minic a chualas daltaí ag caint trí Ghaeilge i dtimpeall TCD, b'fhéidir gurbh é sin a chuala tú a stór.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Have you ever been abroad yourself Gerry? it is said it broadens the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

no one from Met Eireann coming on today? :):pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Simon Coveney is very impressive this morning ... clearly very well briefed & totally in command of his brief & has no need to name call or insult individuals.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Simon Coveney is very impressive this morning ... clearly very well briefed & totally in command of his brief & has no need to name call or insult individuals.
    Hopefully he did not tell a sovereign Independent Country how to conduct their Democracy like Leo the Plank .

Callan57 wrote: »
    Probably the most intelligent and effective Foreign Affairs minister this country has had since Seán McBride, and they gave him the Nobel Prize.

It's probably just as well Coveney didn't get the Taoiseach's job. Obviously Varadkar is still the man in charge, but he's not as heavily involved, and that may be just as well.

Probably the most intelligent and effective Foreign Affairs minister this country has had since Seán McBride, and they gave him the Nobel Prize.

It's probably just as well Coveney didn't get the Taoiseach's job. Obviously Varadkar is still the man in charge, but he's not as heavily involved, and that may be just as well.

I think Coveney has and is coming across very well. He’s measured, considered, steady and doesn’t rise to the bait. I’m impressed. I also think it’s the smart move to have him front and centre on Brexit - not just because of the above but because there’s an “escalation route” up to Leo, which gives a way forward in the case of a major argument. Not that I think that will happen with Coveney at the rudder. My Dad said, when I first got a job that had me managing people, “surround yourself with good people”. Leo must have been listening to his Dad, when it came to Coveney. (Shame about some of the rest of them, though!)

Didn’t Leo get the job for his Photo Shoot Stuff .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Seán getting prickly at the prospect of RTÉ being decentralised.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Seán getting prickly at the prospect of RTÉ being decentralised.
    Just heard bits of that conversation on the office radio. Who was the guest who was criticising RTE and its unnecessary, sprawling D4 campus.? He was dead right, whoever he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

John Moran.
    I think he's a retired senior civil servant

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement