Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

sligojoek wrote: »
    John Moran.
    I think he's a retired senior civil servant
    There's a bit more to him than that!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-a-moran-63866720/?originalSubdomain=ie

John Moran.
    I think he's a retired senior civil servant
    Oh. Him. Yeah he's a retired civil servant. He's the guy who came back to head up the Dept of Finance after a successful career running a juice bar in the South of France. Despite all the raised eyebrow, he made a huge success of his time as the country's most powerful civil servant.

He probably deserves more credit for getting Ireland out of its financial crisis than most members of the Government 2011 - 2016. RTE and the Government should need his advice on this. He doesn't come across a likeable character and he grates on a lot of people but he's no eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Oh. Him. Yeah he's a retired civil servant. He's the guy who came back to head up the Dept of Finance after a successful career running a juice bar in the South of France. Despite all the raised eyebrow, he made a huge success of his time as the country's most powerful civil servant.

He probably deserves more credit for getting Ireland out of its financial crisis than most members of the Government 2011 - 2016. RTE and the Government should need his advice on this. He doesn't come across a likeable character and he grates on a lot of people but he's no eejit.

Very refreshing to hear some policy suggestions from someone who doesn't have one eye on the ballot box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of those kind of dudes on this platform,Ty:

Lot of those kind of dudes on this platform,Ty:
    Is that a hint?:eek:

Must listen back to the full interview. In fairness to SO'R, I'd doubt he gets too upset at RTE criticism. Maybe because he had a journalism career before RTE.

OTOH, Finucane, Tubridy and Duffy are wont to prickle when RTE is criticised without prior warning. An unfortunate analogy, but the fattener-pigs don't bite the hand of a man with a bucket of swill,

Must listen back to the full interview. In fairness to SO'R, I'd doubt he gets too upset at RTE criticism. Maybe because he had a journalism career before RTE.

OTOH, Finucane, Tubridy and Duffy are wont to prickle when RTE is criticised without prior warning. An unfortunate analogy, but the fattener-pigs don't bite the hand of a man with a bucket of swill,

No, quite the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I don't think there's any need to liken humans to fattener pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I think this phonein with the Minister for Finance has become pointless ... this morning was clearly all activists ringing in reading off pre-prepared statements. In most instances there was no actual question asked or answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Callan57 wrote: »
    I think this phonein with the Minister for Finance has become pointless ... this morning was clearly all activists ringing in reading off pre-prepared statements. In most instances there was no actual question asked or answered.

The first guy was straight from central casting. Angry entitled lefty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh, I forgot that the budget phone-in was today, I always avoid it, such a waste of time. Like someone said, the callers are just activists with prepared statements.
    Fun fact, central casting is a real business: https://www.centralcasting.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sounded like an angry construction worker to me. Not especially left wing just fed up being taken for a mug.
    A lot of that around.

elperello wrote: »
    Sounded like an angry construction worker to me. Not especially left wing just fed up being taken for a mug.
    A lot of that around.

I agree. His figure on the expenditure for the National Children's Hospital project was way off (like, billions). If it had been a carefully orchestrated attack, activists would have given him a script with the true figures.

The people work on the other end of the phone aren't complete eejits. Obviously they'll ask for your full name, in interviews like this, and attempt to verify who you are visa social media. I'd be shocked if they weren't doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Scumbags.

Fiance in court for possession of a tazer and she brings one to court in her handbag.

Very useful interview with SOR on mental health on right now, with mother who lost their daughter to suicide.
    Interviewee, Grainne Gawford very good in the circumstances!

Just ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

"We asked for a spokesperson from RTE but none was available" flol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

Let them sell off the "family silver" if they want. Sure are'nt Sotheby's the apt dealers for this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Sell the 'gold' instead. Tubridy, Duffy or yer wan on Saturday mornings that sounds like the human manifestation of phlegm

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Only somebody like SOR would read out a comment like that before the news. These fellas would ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Humphreys very upbeat about 800 people losing their jobs. There must be an election in the pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Humphreys very upbeat about 800 people losing their jobs. There must be an election in the pipeline.

Hope they're not thinking of relying on Minister Humphreys to sort it out. One of the less effective ministers I think, appointed more on the basis of geography than ability?

• Advertisement

The Greens still banging on about sharing cars in rural areas? You'd think that they'd have figured out that this wasn't one of their most sensible suggestions to date?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The Greens still banging on about sharing cars in rural areas? You'd think that they'd have figured out that this wasn't one of their most sensible suggestions to date?
    Too much green juice has leaked into the brains of Greens . Proof that Green can be overdone .

Shower of w°°°°rs.

SoR challenged for his snide remark. Proper order.

Will FG bring up the chance Bailey, they will in their hole

A right ding dong debate. FG coming out very badly,dont know his name but hes not doing FG any favours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Hope they're not thinking of relying on Minister Humphreys to sort it out. One of the less effective ministers I think, appointed more on the basis of geography than ability?

Just like “Calamity Coughlan” during the demise of one of the biggest employer’s in north county dublin, SR Technics. Totally out of her depth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

A right ding dong debate. FG coming out very badly,dont know his name but hes not doing FG any favours

Colm Brophy, iirc. Just proved the point the FF TD was making....arrogance runs deep in FG.... whoever coached him must have had a conniption when he make his Trumpian remark......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

A fairly rational suggestion when compared to the desire of some in the party to reintroduce wolves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Del.Monte wrote: »
    A fairly rational suggestion when compared to the desire of some in the party to reintroduce wolves.
    They are Barking...with a Howl !

To be fair you make it sound like it'd be people buying a car and sharing it with neighbours, whereas he was referring to the likes of gocar,which is something I'm sure there could be a market for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The presenter who wont let her guests answer a question

hopeless

Boil water notice in South Sligo/Roscommon for years and not a word on RTE about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

You get the feeling that they don't particularly like her style of broadcasting. She's just rude and doesn't let them answer a single question without interrupting.

Boris Johnston wants a general election totally focused on Brexit but didn't they already have that in 2017 ... the election in which Theres May lost her majority & was left depending on the DUP !!!!!!!!!!!

Boil water notice in South Sligo/Roscommon for years and not a word on RTE about it.

Dont care, not paying etc etc :pac:

Heh he heh.... just heard a gem from a lad on S’OR

“This is good news...people are talking....people are listening...”

Foohherking right says I “ But who the fuhherke is DOING”

Lady in an adjacent motor is looking a bit worried at me. !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

hopeless
    I only heard a tiny bit of the very end of Sean O'Rourke, but I heard a bit more of Pat Kenny with his "Friday Forum" - and he was at least as bad - at one stage he practically got into a shouting match with Kate O'Connell, neither would give in and let the other speak.

PK is really terrible for that IMO, he's a complete bombast a lot of the time - Sean not nearly so bad, Sarah I haven't heard enough of to have an opinion.

But it seems to be the trend these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I only heard a tiny bit of the very end of Sean O'Rourke, but I heard a bit more of Pat Kenny with his "Friday Forum" - and he was at least as bad - at one stage he practically got into a shouting match with Kate O'Connell, neither would give in and let the other speak.

PK is really terrible for that IMO, he's a complete bombast a lot of the time - Sean not nearly so bad, Sarah I haven't heard enough of to have an opinion.

But it seems to be the trend these days.
    There is a case for this, though. Most politicians nowadays have been coached by PR clinics to keep talking through any questions and to get their own talking points out. If you never interrupt them, they may never answer the question that they've been asked.

Now, if radio hosts are doing this with non-politicians, that would be a problem.

To be fair, the only bit of show I heard (I usually catch up on podcast) was with the FF lad talking about "buttongate" (I think it was Darragh O'Brien) and he was constantly ignoring the question being asked, so she was well in her rights to talk over him to ensure he didn't waffle on..

• Advertisement

Good old battle between the Law Society and the Insurer Industry, Sean doing a good job sitting back and let them at it!

Good old battle between the Law Society and the Insurer Industry, Sean doing a good job sitting back and let them at it!

I'm no fan of the insurance industry but my God do the law Society know how to defend their patch? Surely the biggest "vested interest" in the country and especially in the insurance debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I'm no fan of the insurance industry but my God do the law Society know how to defend their patch? Surely the biggest "vested interest" in the country and especially in the insurance debate.

Irish Farmers Association give them a good run for their money along with the poor publicans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Surely the biggest "vested interest" in the country.
    Them and the medical consultants.

Remember that the only reforms advocated by the troika which had not been implemented by the time the troika left, were to the legal industry and the medical industry.

Presently Sean interviewing Brad Seager about the wife of the US Intelligence agent who run down a motorcyclist.
    Very hard to listen to, bitter and not really winning me over.

So there was no support there from the manager who you never told about the problem in the first place.

• Advertisement

Is it IVF/miscarriage/fertility week? Duffy had a similar caller yesterday.

Thought she was very unfair in her representation of the meeting with her manager. She starts divulging details of her sex life, and expects the manager to have all the answers. I'd say the manager was terrified of saying something stupid and ending up in the labour court.

Feral scum on wit PoG. Unbelievable ;);)

Sean interviewed Charlotte Deasy, sister of Joe Deasy who was murdered in 2017. Sean handled the interview with care and thoughtfulness, but what stood out for me was the remarkable Charlotte herself. Hard to describe, if truth be told, but given the unimaginable impact his death must have had on her and their parents, she was so positive, especially about organ transplants (apparently her brother’s organs went to a total of six people, transforming their lives) where she took comfort from their achievements now. Very touching and heartwarming, and worth a listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Feral scum on wit PoG. Unbelievable ;);)

The little gangsters and their 'parents' all moaning about the 'Police' disgracefully taking away their bonfires!
    Why were they all using the word 'bro' in every sentence they uttered? Are they straight outta Compton? Despite the piece clearly being set in Drimnagh!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement