Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

boardise wrote: »
    I'm really taken aback at the level of animus against Terry Prone. I''ve always found her to be an excellent panellist -informed ,logical and always ready to expose cant and waffle. She also writes a weekly column in the Irish Examiner which is informative and entertaining while being laced with pungent humour and sardonic wit.
    Terry is tops with me -I wish we had more like her instead of the posse of chancers and bluffers we hear spoofing on our media every day.

You should get into PR. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The problem is not the dogs but the dog owners ... I've seen dog owners allow their dogs on seats where another custome will be expected to sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I'm really taken aback at the level of animus against Terry Prone. I''ve always found her to be an excellent panellist -informed ,logical and always ready to expose cant and waffle. She also writes a weekly column in the Irish Examiner which is informative and entertaining while being laced with pungent humour and sardonic wit.
    Terry is tops with me -I wish we had more like her instead of the posse of chancers and bluffers we hear spoofing on our media every day.

Prone is the one who media trained a lot of these chancers and bluffers to spoof us every day, so she is the one who has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jesus Charlie Flanagan is some spoofer

his level of ignorance actually surprised me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

mgn wrote: »
    Prone is the one who media trained a lot of these chancers and bluffers to spoof us every day, so she is the one who has a lot to answer for.

Actually I hadn't thought of that point . She's brilliant at her job too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Actually I hadn't thought of that point . She's brilliant at her job too. :)

If you say so, Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Read this typical piece of deflecting disgusting nonsense that comes from same: https://www.thejournal.ie/terry-prone-email-tuam-babies-site-1721252-Oct2014/

"Terry Prone
    Bon SecoursYour letter was sent on to me by the Provincial of the Irish Bon Secours congregation with instructions that I should help you. I’m not sure how I can. Let me explain.When the “O My God – mass grave in West of Ireland” broke in an English-owned paper (the Mail) it surprised the hell out of everybody, not least the Sisters of Bon Secours in Ireland, none of whom had ever worked in Tuam and most of whom had never heard of it.If you come here, you’ll find no mass grave, no evidence that children were ever so buried, and a local police force casting their eyes to heaven and saying “Yeah, a few bones were found – but this was an area where Famine victims were buried. So?”Several international TV stations have aborted their plans to make documentaries, because essentially all that can be said is “Ireland in the first half of the twentieth century was a moralistic, inward-looking, anti-feminist country of exagerrated religiousity.”Which most of us knew already.The overwhelming majority of the surviving Sisters of Bon Secours in Ireland are over eighty. The handful (literally) still in active ministry are in their seventies. None of them is an historian or sociologist or theologian and so wouldn’t have the competence to be good on your programme.
    If you’d like me to point you at a few reputable historians who might be good, I’ll certainly do that.

Terry Prone (Ms)
    Chairman
    The Communications Clinic"

People who defend the indefensible are worthy of our contempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Callan57 wrote: »
    The problem is not the dogs but the dog owners ... I've seen dog owners allow their dogs on seats where another custome will be expected to sit.
    I heard that discussion and thought the complainant was very sanguine about it all. While a fear of dogs isn't entirely irrational, the woman didn't help her case by saying it was. What if she had a fear of red-heads for example?

And did I hear it right that the guy's dog was in a crate? That seems completely unreasonable to not allow a small dog in a crate. The union guy was 100% right. Had to laugh at his answer to - what if there was a crash and a dog goes berserk attacking people? What if two passengers went berserk and start biting people .. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

So you approve of the way she handled the Tuam babies story from the Nun's side of the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

jay0109 wrote: »
    So you approve of the way she handled the Tuam babies story from the Nun's side of the story?

Terry (like all PR types) will argue the side of whoever is signing the cheque ... much like the legal profession! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Callan57 wrote: »
    Terry (like all PR types) will argue the side of whoever is signing the cheque ... much like the legal profession! :rolleyes:
    And both (lawyers and PR agents) will not say that they are telling the truth, merely that they are "presenting their clients side of the story" - for which service the client has paid a considerable fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Paddy O'Gorman missing in action today in Carrick on Shannon.
    I hope one of the hens didn't beguile him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The greatest battle that has involved Lisa Smith is the battle between the Army and the Muslims to see who can distance themselves furtherest from her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Major pulling of the heart strings. The poor little girl.

Where is SOR this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Where is SOR this week?

He was on during the school break week......

What did I say.......teachers hours.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

How come when SOR is away, its Today with Miriam no other show does that do they?

Fair play to Paddy O'Gorman, he stayed on to listen to Austin Allsup.

You'd have needed a JCB in low gear to get me out of that studio.

Son of a legend who wouldn't even be on this earth but for a flip of a coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

elperello wrote: »
    Son of a legend who wouldn't even be on this earth but for a flip of a coin.

Had to google that, his dad (Tommy Allsup) was touring with Buddy Holly when he died, he was supposed to be on the plane that crashed, but lost a bet to Richie Valens (coin toss) and had to get the bus. Obviously the plane crashed. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

pc7 wrote: »
    How come when SOR is away, its Today with Miriam no other show does that do they?

Ego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

SOR is coasting towards retirement, before the guillotine drops. Wish him well, he wasn't the worst, but could be a grumpy git at times. Paddy O'G should get his own show. He manages to get people that many will never meet or understand to talk. Well at the very least, his slot should be lengthened at bit.

I get the feeling that SOR and MOC do not have much time for him somehow. That's our loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I get the feeling that SOR and MOC do not have much time for him somehow. That's our loss.

Disagree about SOR, although I do sometimes think he wants to discuss the issues further (e.g. when POG talks to people at courts, you get the impression that SOR is fuming sometimes).

Miriam couldn't care less about Paddy though, tis a right pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ego.

Bingo

dulpit wrote: »
    Disagree about SOR, although I do sometimes think he wants to discuss the issues further (e.g. when POG talks to people at courts, you get the impression that SOR is fuming sometimes).

Miriam couldn't care less about Paddy though, tis a right pity.

Correct, but a longer slot to tease the issues out would sort out the grumpy git and let him get it off his chest. Could open a debate on a wider scale. As it is, it is just a filler, "thanks Paddy, goodbye now". Honestly what are the producers at? I reckon it is a very popular slot myself, but that's just me I suppose.

Correct, but a longer slot to tease the issues out would sort out the grumpy git and let him get it off his chest. Could open a debate on a wider scale. As it is, it is just a filler, "thanks Paddy, goodbye now". Honestly what are the producers at? I reckon it is a very popular slot myself, but that's just me I suppose.

I'm not sure that P'OG's excellent reports need to be embellished or interpreted.

Their significance is the way he gets the pure unalloyed, sometimes unguarded comments from people you don't usually hear on the radio.

I'm not sure that P'OG's excellent reports need to be embellished or interpreted.

Their significance is the way he gets the pure unalloyed, sometimes unguarded comments from people you don't usually hear on the radio.

Agree, but his slot is far too short IMO.

Agree, but his slot is far too short IMO.

Yes he always leaves me wanting more.
    I wonder is that intentional?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Yes The O'Gorman slot is great and Paddy has the knack of getting people to talk in sometimes difficult circs.

What I get out of it is that the pond life that usually appear in the Courthouse sessions must be fuelling the free legal aid trough...where the legals gather to slop from the public purse.

Some of the stuff is so bizarre that you wonder why nobody has shouted STOP !

Until you realise that the legals and their fellow travellers in government have their trotters deep in the golden trough and are happy to keep stiffing the public purse.

Could be that is why the excellent O'Gorman slot is just a filler ....powers that be don't want to shine TOO bright a light on that clusterfcuck that is our current legal system. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Yes The O'Gorman slot is great and Paddy has the knack of getting people to talk in sometimes difficult circs.

What I get out of it is that the pond life that usually appear in the Courthouse sessions must be fuelling the free legal aid trough...where the legals gather to slop from the public purse.

Some of the stuff is so bizarre that you wonder why nobody has shouted STOP !

Until you realise that the legals and their fellow travellers in government have their trotters deep in the golden trough and are happy to keep stiffing the public purse.

Could be that is why the excellent O'Gorman slot is just a filler ....powers that be don't want to shine TOO bright a light on that clusterfcuck that is our current legal system. ?

I remember when Paddy had a weekly half hour slot all to himself on RTE. I think it was called Queuing for a Living, (which was also the name of his book). It was the same format as his snippets on the SOR show. It was great radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

sligojoek wrote: »
    Major pulling of the heart strings. The poor little girl.

Ridiculous stuff from O'Callaghan. Saying that Lisa Smith shouldn't be incarcerated because she has a 2 year old child. Such nonsense. It's also an argument she'd never make about a man with a 2 year old child.

Paddy provides a view on an ehhhhh "lifestyle" that not everybody gets to see.

It's like reading the court reports in my local paper but Paddy gives it a bit of colour with the characters being interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

KaneToad wrote: »
    I remember when Paddy had a weekly half hour slot all to himself on RTE. I think it was called Queuing for a Living, (which was also the name of his book). It was the same format as his snippets on the SOR show. It was great radio.

Yes ...should bring that format back...but too much on the Courts scene...would probably provoke a taxpayer revolt...so it won't happen. !

PS like the username ...lots of your relatives down Queensland way !

Paddy provides a view on an ehhhhh "lifestyle" that not everybody gets to see.

It's like reading the court reports in my local paper but Paddy gives it a bit of colour with the characters being interviewed.

They are putting their hands in the taxpayers pockets, I wouldn’t really call them ‘ characters’.. tossers or wasters perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I think there was a TV show as well "Paddy's People" or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

KaneToad wrote: »
    Ridiculous stuff from O'Callaghan. Saying that Lisa Smith shouldn't be incarcerated because she has a 2 year old child. Such nonsense. It's also an argument she'd never make about a man with a 2 year old child.

I stopped listening to this show when this moany voiced and biased presenter took over. Can’t stand Precious O’ Callaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

If Miriam takes over from SOR I’ll migrate to Newstalk full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

jelutong wrote: »
    If Miriam takes over from SOR I’ll migrate to Newstalk full time.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I still think that they won't have one person just replace Sean, it will be a few people and they'll name the show a generic name with no particular presenter steering it - possibly 3-4, including Claire Byrne, Cormac O'Hara, Miriam (maybe), Katie Hannon and maybe one from Morning Ireland like Audrey Carville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's always been a flagship show with one main presenter in that slot though, and it's up against the Pat Kenny show, so I'd say they'll find a main high profile presenter.

robo wrote: »
    I still think that they won't have one person just replace Sean, it will be a few people and they'll name the show a generic name with no particular presenter steering it - possibly 3-4, including Claire Byrne, Cormac O'Hara, Miriam (maybe), Katie Hannon and maybe one from Morning Ireland like Audrey Carville

Terrified of new blood they are now. Closed shop.

At least Audrey Carville had a good stint on the BBC. How many others that you mention did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    +1

+2

Whatever about the bould prince and his memory, Anton Savage reminds me of everything that is wrong about the likes of The Communications Clinic. It's not what the truth is, it's all about how you prepare and present your lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

BarryD2 wrote: »
    It's not what the truth is, it's all about how you prepare and present your lies.
    You'd have to be a bit naive if you thought that PR agencies were purveyors of truth.

serfboard wrote: »
    You'd have to be a bit naive if you thought that PR agencies were purveyors of truth.

I'm perfectly aware of the nature of PR agencies - just hearing them continuously reinforces my view..

I'm perfectly aware of the nature of PR agencies - just hearing them continuously reinforces my view..

So much of what we hear on the radio is the carefully crafted work of the PR agencies.
    Only our vigilance can protect us.

Might just have to start switching off RTE Radio for the next several weeks as I hear the Christmas begging ads for the likes of Trocaire and Focus have started up in earnest and we're only half way though November :(

I like to give a few bob to a charity of choice at year end but I don't want to be beaten about the head every 10 mins by these radio ads. In fact I deliberately avoid donating to charities that engage in this emotional blackmail.

Might just have to start switching off RTE Radio for the next several weeks as I hear the Christmas begging ads for the likes of Trocaire and Focus have started up in earnest and we're only half way though November :(

I like to give a few bob to a charity of choice at year end but I don't want to be beaten about the head every 10 mins by these radio ads. In fact I deliberately avoid donating to charities that engage in this emotional blackmail.

Wonder how they get on the rest of the year? I agree with you,we don't need to be emotionally blackmailed into giving to charity,we all give something throughout the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

O Rourke planting seeds for an increase in the licence fee.

So much of what we hear on the radio is the carefully crafted work of the PR agencies.
    Only our vigilance can protect us.

Always check for the ‘vested interest’ is my strategy.

Dig deep enough and it usually becomes apparent.

Just for a moment consider that those ads are not aimed at you.
    You are generously giving to charities so you are not the target.
    They are trying to reach those who do not donate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement