Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone listening to Regina Doherty now? :rolleyes:

Like a Rottweiler ready to chew the microphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone listening to Regina Doherty now? :rolleyes:

That wouldn't be hard. She hasn't stopped since she came on.

In fairness Sean.

To be fair Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"off the wall"
    "not stoopid"
    "it's bonkers"
    "not pigeonhole rural ireland"
    trying to bribe pensioners with a "foiver a year, every year"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Surprised at Sean getting caught by Harris's merry band.
    He should know better.
    If that's an indication of how the election interviews are going to be conducted it doesn't bode well.
    Reading out tweets "from ......" in the middle of an interview when we all know they really come from apparatchiks.
    It's not great for a respected journalist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

elperello wrote: »
    He should know better.
    If that's an indication of how the election interviews are going to be conducted it doesn't bode well.
    Reading out tweets "from ......" in the middle of an interview when we all know they really come from apparatchiks.
    O’Rourke is phoning it in now . Hoping to get out alive and not do a Finucane !

blinding wrote: »

I hope he will go with a bang and not a whimper.
    He shouldn't let his standards down at this stage.
    I have respect for him and he has had a good career.

I wonder how much of that faux pas was down to the producer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He should know better.

What difference does it make who wrote them? Harris has to stand over what emanates from his twitter.
    I thought it was great to get a live response. More of that please, because it can take the interview off script so to speak, and that is when candidates can reveal themselves a bit more...good or bad. I think Martin bounced back quite well actually.

What difference does it make who wrote them? Harris has to stand over what emanates from his twitter.
    I thought it was great to get a live response. More of that please, because it can take the interview off script so to speak, and that is when candidates can reveal themselves a bit more...good or bad. I think Martin bounced back quite well actually.

Well yes Harris does have to stand over the Tweet even if it is just a bit of mischief form the backroom boys.

I suppose I am old school. I prefer my politicians filleted by the broadcaster/journalist. I'd rather not have the interview taken down a rabbit hole by a bit of off stage smartness. The presenter should concentrate on his responsibility not hand the agenda to other vested interests.

Agree that Martin countered well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

blinding wrote: »

Absolutely.

Verona Murphy ran rings around him, the old "News @ 1 Sèan" would have filleted her while simultaneously doing the Irish Times crossword.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Verona Murphy ran rings around him, the old "News @ 1 Sèan" would have filleted her while simultaneously doing the Irish Times crossword.

Yeah VM gave him a right schooling ....lad clearly hadn't done the homework...which in fairness is the exception.

VM is very competent media performer and looks good for the Scobie seat ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

These are like 4 little bollixes arguing in the school yard,and SOR has zero control over them

These are like 4 little bollixes arguing in the school yard,and SOR has zero control over them

To be (somewhat) fair to Sean, you’d have needed a cattle prod, taser and pepper spray to get some authority in that bear-pit. (All available on line, no doubt!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Fair play to Mary O'Rourke for sticking up for Mary Lou.

Fair play to Mary O'Rourke for sticking up for Mary Lou.

Perhaps signalling that grassroots FF will only back Michael so far. If it's close and SF will get them into power Michael's principles will be sacrificed or Michael will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Perhaps signalling that grassroots FF will only back Michael so far. If it's close and SF will get them into power Michael's principles will be sacrificed or Michael will.

There will be a quite word with Michaél expaining that FF interest has always equalled the "national interest" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

The Friday Panel has Tom Parlon on. Discussing his time in the PD's when they were in Govt formation negotiations with FF, he said 'we fought like tinkers'.
    Sean has just given a bit of an apology for that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

jay0109 wrote: »
    The Friday Panel has Tom Parlon on. Discussing his time in the PD's when they were in Govt formation negotiations with FF, he said 'we fought like tinkers'.

Tom Parlon wouldn't exactly be the most eloquently-spoken politician now, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

Comhra wrote: »
    Tom Parlon wouldn't exactly be the most eloquently-spoken politician now, to be fair.

More like a pork barrel, cute hoor merchant.

That's exactly how he talks (usually more polished on mic) and thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Says he would favour a "grand coalition".... Now where's that trough??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Comhra wrote: »

Parlon left politics in 2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Despicable climb downs by all.

Lad was only using a well known analogy.

How have this coterie of folk who pay little, contribute little, to our society have such a hold over the ordinary hard working taxpayer.

There’s a lot of stuff which needs to be opened up and talked about.

How have this coterie of folk who pay little, contribute little, to our society have such a hold over the ordinary hard working taxpayer.

Sean o rourke probably had a producer screaming in his ear to apologise profusely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The Friday Panel has Tom Parlon on. Discussing his time in the PD's when they were in Govt formation negotiations with FF, he said 'we fought like tinkers'. Sean has just given a bit of an apology for that one!

They are pretty pathetic really. Travellers themselves will proudly say that bare knuckle boxing is part of their tradition, but of course RTE will be too busy criticizing Conor McGregor to have the time necessary to be critical of the bare knuckle boxing - part of their minority ethnicity of course.

Surprised that Tom Parlon would be guilty of such un-parliamentary utterances all the same. He's a long time at it and has enough experience to know which analogies and metaphors are acceptable in the Irish media. Any references to any identity group, he should know are unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Please please don't let this thread go down the AH route of traveller bashing... What Tom Parlon said was wrong, it sounded wrong when he said it and they rightly apologised for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

dulpit wrote: »
    Please please don't let this thread go down the AH route of traveller bashing... What Tom Parlon said was wrong, it sounded wrong when he said it and they rightly apologised for it.

It is a well known colloquialism, you could even say part of our identity

They are pretty pathetic really. Travellers themselves will proudly say that bare knuckle boxing is part of their tradition, but of course RTE will be too busy criticizing Conor McGregor to have the time necessary to be critical of the bare knuckle boxing - part of their minority ethnicity of course.

Surprised that Tom Parlon would be guilty of such un-parliamentary utterances all the same. He's a long time at it and has enough experience to know which analogies and metaphors are acceptable in the Irish media. Any references to any identity group, he should know are unacceptable.

I despise travellers but would not use the term Parlon did on the airwaves, this was never going to be ignored

He knew instantly he made an error

Drifter50 wrote: »
    It is a well known colloquialism, you could even say part of our identity

It's not used anymore

The term used by Parlon is considered offensive by that community.

It's possible to take wrongdoers to task without being gratuitously insulting to them all .

Of course nobody should be above the law no matter what their background.

It's a bit stomach churning to see people complaining about not being able to use offensive terms.

What other ones do you want to be able to use unchallenged Brendan? Open up to us, go on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What did he mumble just after Sèan apologized?

It's a bit stomach churning to see people complaining about not being able to use offensive terms.

What other ones do you want to be able to use unchallenged Brendan? Open up to us, go on!

“Hypocritical humpbacks” is one I quite like.

Now,Francie, I’m somewhat concerned that you are developing very thin skin! “Stomach churning”..surely a bit ott?

Listen I’d be worried if you were serious, but if you just wanted to have a cut at the Brenner, maybe understandable.

Will keep a watching brief,though.

“Hypocritical humpbacks” is one I quite like.

Now,Francie, I’m somewhat concerned that you are developing very thin skin! “Stomach churning”..surely a bit ott?

Listen I’d be worried if you were serious, but if you just wanted to have a cut at the Brenner, maybe understandable.

Will keep a watching brief,though.

I wasn't really talking about the animal kingdom.

More, what other groups of human beings, you would like to be able to call offensive names.

Be 'open' about it Brendan, wasn't that another of your desires?

Regina vs. O'Callaghan

Case dismissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Regina vs. O'Callaghan

Case dismissed.
    Who won (or is winning)?

I'm suffering election fatigue at this stage, can't bear to turn it on.

ETA - just copped that that might have been a pun..... doh!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Who won (or is winning)?

I'm suffering election fatigue at this stage, can't bear to turn it on.

ETA - just copped that that might have been a pun..... doh!

Gentleman Jim.

Technical knockout.

(another one!)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Why is SOR pretending he doesn't know how voting surplus works, is the guy on with him another case of nepotism (going by name, Abie Philbin Bowman)

pc7 wrote: »
    Why is SOR pretending he doesn't know how voting surplus works, is the guy on with him another case of nepotism (going by name, Abie Philbin Bowman)

JAhsus... turn that guy down bit, shut the fcuk up.

Apologies, but this guy is screwing the whole thing up.

Sunday morning.....will give that a wide berth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I love the SOR show but this is absolutely awful fluff.

I thought there was a moratorium on political talk today.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    I thought there was a moratorium on political talk today.

From 2pm.
    Liveline gets the last bite :)

From 2pm.
    Liveline gets the last bite :)

No doubt Joe will get a final dig at FG and SF before the bell rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

pc7 wrote: »

I hate when interviewers do this "pseudo ignorance" ... I absolutely certain SOR could give a masterclass on the working of PR :rolleyes:

Callan57 wrote: »
    I hate when interviewers do this "pseudo ignorance" ... I absolutely certain SOR could give a masterclass on the working of PR :rolleyes:

They have to put themselves into the mind of the average listener I guess? Otherwise the discussion would be like this:
    SOR: So we're going to discuss the workings of PR-STV and transfers.
    Interviewee: That's right. Do you understand how it works?
    SOR: I do.
    Intervieweee: Grand so.

They have to put themselves into the mind of the average listener I guess? Otherwise the discussion would be like this:

Exactly. Amazing that regular radio/telly listeners wouldn't know that. Bill O'Herilly was a master at it.

In case you missed it Philbin-Bowman actually said it to SOR, “I know you know all this Sean”.

The piece was to inform the great unwashed listening of course

Pity Bowman took off like Fanning on speed,and left everyone or almost everyone even more confused at the end such was the flitting and flying at warp speed through the various situations which might occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Regina vs. O'Callaghan
    Turned this off - silly election gossip. FG pathetically trying to make something of the fact that a qualified barrister, Jimiriam, represented Gerry Adams.

Awful oul' rubbish, and Sean shoudn't have given it the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

serfboard wrote: »
    Turned this off - silly election gossip. FG pathetically trying to make something of the fact that a qualified barrister, Jimiriam, represented Gerry Adams.

Orders from on high??

I think the fact that FG were trying to make an election issue out of it was worth highlighting. Regina made her party look pathetic though (although at this stage, is that surprising or difficult to do?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

serfboard wrote: »

Similar to the attack on Josepha Madigan for providing legal advice to Maria Bailey. I guess if your opponent throws enough $hit, some of it might stick. The facts are irrelevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement