Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

That caviston fella is really irritating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I voted yes to keep the Seanad. I am proud of myself. It's not my fault Enda appointed that gobsh1te

Voting Yes meant you voted to remove the Seanad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

What a load of old outdated s*** that was.
    MLOD is only good if you suffer from constipation.
    When will RTE One move into the present age?
    They seem to cater only for the over 70's.
    Pure rubbish.

Bit harsh there TL, surely you can't come to that conclusion on the basis of one
    Extract from a programme.
    Have another think about that post eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bit harsh there TL, surely you can't come to that conclusion on the basis of one
    Extract from a programme.
    Have another think about that post eh!

It's not just one programme or a part of a programme.
    I am nearly 60 and find the station outdated and maudlin in general.
    It's as if we never moved out of the 1940's.
    Always dealing with things of the past, the church or politics.
    Just my opinion.

It's not just one programme or a part of a programme.
    I am nearly 60 and find the station outdated and maudlin in general.
    It's as if we never moved out of the 1940's.
    Always dealing with things of the past, the church or politics.
    Just my opinion.

Very honest post there tayto,I can't agree with that description.

I would be interested in what direction you would like R1 to go?

Personally I think they do a reasonable to good job,with a few spots that could be improved.

9 to 10 is terrible in my opinion, square peg in a round hole.Disasterville.

12 to 13 is outdated , predictable, not my cup of tea.

15 to 1630. Tabloid radio and 1900 to 2200 not R1 material.

Room for that on 2fm.
    I would think R1 is in touch generally speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Personally I think they do a reasonable to good job,with a few spots that could be improved.

Room for that on 2fm.

I do like the John Creedon Show.
    Music for all tastes and a bit of banter too.

Room for that on 2fm.

You forgot the 1345-1500 slot, although a change of presenter and producers rather then show could sort that out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

neris wrote: »
    You forgot the 1345-1500 slot, although a change of presenter and producers rather then show could sort that out
    Strongly agree.

I don't listen to the show except sometimes by accident, and even then not for long. Sometimes I glance through the thread about it on this forum, and think a change of audience might also be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The thing is though, whenever somebody stands in for Joe Duffy, the number of posts to the Liveline thread tends to dip. Love him or hate him, Joe Duffy is still a major draw, even to Boardsies, although they'd never admit it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Liveline used to be somewhat normal when Marian was presenting it. It wasn't focused on Joe. The production values on that show are some of the worst on either this island or the UK. It's tabloid radio at it's very worst. The production staff need to be sent on a course on how to handle the most basic of broadcast ethics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

That Clare postman is really trying Sean's patience with his attempts to plug the local tourist trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

touts wrote: »
    That Clare postman is really trying Sean's patience with his attempts to plug the local tourist trade.
    Yeah Sean was not taking any of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yeah Sean was not taking any of it!

Thought he was quite ratty with him - the guy was only trying to make a joke ffs, which in the circumstances is fairly admirable!

A snap worthy of Joe.

Don't sink that low, Seán!

I really wish these discussion about how fantastic science is would also say that the majority of science graduates are earning a lot less that other disciplines and the science field and research in particular is an extremely difficult jobs market, with funding being cut left right and centre. It's all well and good entering Young Scientist but it put bread on the table for most people.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Thought he was quite ratty with him - the guy was only trying to make a joke ffs, which in the circumstances is fairly admirable!

A snap worthy of Joe.

Don't sink that low, Seán!

Didn't hear that exchange,but in my opinion, no harm for a bit of rattiness from a presenter now and again.

These bland and colourless people who go out of their way to offend nobody and qualify any remark with disclaimers are the bane of RTE.

Bit of edge now and then is no harm.

Didn't hear that exchange,but in my opinion, no harm for a bit of rattiness from a presenter now and again.

These bland and colourless people who go out of their way to offend nobody and qualify any remark with disclaimers are the bane of RTE.

Bit of edge now and then is no harm.

No need to be rude though :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    No need to be rude though :D

Well, I didn't hear it so I won't comment any further.

Have to say anecdotally I have heard interviews on the radio where the presenter has to listen through a load of previously rehashed waffle and spin and must surely , surely be bursting to say "would you STFU and answer the question:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Have to say anecdotally I have heard interviews on the radio where the presenter has to listen through a load of previously rehashed waffle and spin and must surely , surely be bursting to say "would you STFU and answer the question:D
    There was an example of that on Morning Ireland yesterday.

The CEO of Rehab was on and refused to say how much she was earning even though she said there should be transparency on salaries in the charity sector.

Gavin Jennings asked her twice but she wouldn't answer the question. IMO, he shouldn't have let her out of the studio until she did!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

MYOB wrote: »
    Voting Yes meant you voted to remove the Seanad though.

Even Michael O'Leary was confused about how he voted! Had to be corrected when he said that he had voted 'no' as he wanted to abolish the Seanad!! :(

Edit: Not on SO'R.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Even Michael O'Leary was confused about how he voted! Had to be corrected when he said that he had voted 'no' as he wanted to abolish the Seanad!! :(
    So he didn't read and understand all the T&Cs? He should be required to pay a penalty charge of €60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

So he didn't read and understand all the T&Cs? He should be required to pay a penalty charge of €60.

Absolutely no excuse accepted, it was there in the small print - somewhere!
    :rolleyes:

serfboard wrote: »
    There was an example of that on Morning Ireland yesterday.

The CEO of Rehab was on and refused to say how much she was earning even though she said there should be transparency on salaries in the charity sector.

Gavin Jennings asked her twice but she wouldn't answer the question. IMO, he shouldn't have let her out of the studio until she did!

That's the one I had in mind

However I think she was in Saudi Arabia for that interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Different county, same NIMBYs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

This RTE head would want to brush up on his communication skills.

"Co-productions with Yanks"

Meoww!

Did that I mishear or did she say she "didn't know the roads so she was speeding" :confused:

I think you misunderstood. I took it to mean that she didn't know that there was a 50kph limit on that road.

I think you misunderstood. I took it to mean that she didn't know that there was a 50kph limit on that road.

Perhaps - or maybe she meant she didn't know there would be a checkpoint on it :rolleyes:

I got the impression that she wasn't particularly trying to argue her way out of responsibility for breaking the speed limit, that she was simply explaining why she got things wrong. It seemed clear enough that a €150 fine was a big deal to her - but she seemed to accept it with a stoic resignation. She also said that it was her first ever time in a court, so I suspect that we are not discussing a habitual offender.

I think you have allowed yourself to get distracted from the real issue. The overall piece was about the use of the court "poor box" to enable some people to avoid convictions and, in many cases, penalty points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Fairly comprehensive rebuttal of Paisley by Seamus Mallon.

Speaking of bluster...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I'd say it was the first day in her life that Mary Shaw truly regretted not having a second arm..

hands-over-ears.jpg

Did MLOD come back from a previous life as a thesaurus :eek:

In fairness, yoga is brilliant, she's just reminded me to enrol for classes again :D

Great to hear Seamus Mallon again & he's absolutely right - all this revisionism is benefiting nobody. Paisley always was and still is nothing but a bully with a massive ego. What a shame we haven't more people with the integrity of Seamus Mallon ... a true statesman IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If Joan Burton spent less time admiring they way things are done in Austria, Finland and Germany and more time sorting out the mess in her own backyard, people might take her seriously.

The endless justification of the jobbridge scheme is a bit sickening.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    If Joan Burton spent less time admiring they way things are done in Austria, Finland and Germany and more time sorting out the mess in her own backyard, people might take her seriously.

But shes afraid that if she makes changes that copy these countries she,ll upset some group/minority/trade union

Ugh. Saying that the press don't ask Hollande about his affair is because it's like a monarchy. What a load of rubbish. It's because most people don't care who he's sleeping with, they care about the fact that the economy is down the toilet.

And they asked if Mme Trierweiler is first lady because it is technically a public position so it is not an infringement of anyone's private life to ask.And he didn't answer because also Trierweiler is in hospital because of stress.

Ugh. Saying that the press don't ask Hollande about his affair is because it's like a monarchy. What a load of rubbish

Imagine what the Irish media would do if the taoiseach or president had a mistress........................... oh yeah forgot, theyd say nothing at the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Boroso

Callan57 wrote: »
    Great to hear Seamus Mallon again & he's absolutely right - all this revisionism is benefiting nobody. Paisley always was and still is nothing but a bully with a massive ego. What a shame we haven't more people with the integrity of Seamus Mallon ... a true statesman IMO

In the context of the times and environment in which Paisley lived, to have only been "a bully with a massive ego" seems to be quite a compliment. To have stood up to murderers, thugs, armed paramilitaries, bombs, car bombs, assaults, knee-cappings and all the rest, to have just been viewed as a bit of a bully with an ego seems quite restrained and mild, in context.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Imagine what the Irish media would do if the taoiseach or president had a mistress........................... oh yeah forgot, theyd say nothing at the time

Especially if the mistress in question was a high profile media personality herself writing a gossip column for the newspaper with the largest circulation in the country. ;)

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »

So she is not trying to do that, is she not?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Watched this last night. Good show, some very decent people on it like the Romanian farm workers...not so much the Roma stealing electricity and dumping their bins in the street.

Watched this last night. Good show, some very decent people on it like the Romanian farm workers...not so much the Roma stealing electricity and dumping their bins in the street.

I thought this was a radio show?

thats twice this week seans watch has gone off at 12

thats twice this week seans watch has gone off at 12
    I heard it last week several times as well.

I heard it last week several times as well.

Wonder then how Joe Duffy knows when its 3 oclock. No alarm or buzzer on a gold Rolex

Wonder then how Joe Duffy knows when its 3 oclock. No alarm or buzzer on a gold Rolex

More inverted snobbery about radio presenters!!

Boroso wrote: »
    More inverted snobbery about radio presenters!!
    Hardly. On a salary of 300K a year, he hardly got his watch from a lucky bag.

Hardly. On a salary of 300K a year, he hardly got his watch from a lucky bag.

inverted snobbery

Line breaks: in|vert¦ed snob|beryPronunciation:

noun

[mass noun] derogatory the attitude of seeming to despise anything associated with wealth or social status, while at the same time elevating those things associated with lack of wealth and social position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Boroso wrote: »
    I thought this was a radio show?

Sean was talking about Benefits Street, as opposed to RTE which is on the posher Benefits Avenue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement