Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

elperello wrote: »
    I don't lack understanding.
    I'm not uninformed.
    I'm not a stirrer.

But then it's not all about you and me.

My apologies but I was not referring to you as a ‘stirrer’.

With respect, your posts indicate a lack of understanding as to how to handle events like this.

Expecting an unqualified person to not accept the advice of a highly qualified person with training in the field,and communicate differently, for me would indicate a lack of understanding.

But if I was wrong there, my apologies there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

My apologies but I was not referring to you as a ‘stirrer’.

With respect, your posts indicate a lack of understanding as to how to handle events like this.

Expecting an unqualified person to not accept the advice of a highly qualified person with training in the field,and communicate differently, for me would indicate a lack of understanding.

But if I was wrong there, my apologies there too.

Apologies accepted but unnecessary.

What we have here is just a difference of opinion about Minister Harris's communication strategy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 glasspicklejar

Maybe the facial recognition system installed on the Enterprise allowed the powers that be to identify the passengers that 'randomly' shared the journey with the patient. /s
    Maybe they were the only passengers in that carriage.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to ask how 'randomers' would be identified in these circumstances.
    As someone on radio said, fear of the virus is a virus itself and they obviously are trying to manage that. However, providing 'woolly' answers or 'trust us' answers only goes so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I am old enough to have been let down by expert opinion on very many occasions over many years. The whole country has.... don't build an extra lane on the M50, the banks are fine, there is no bailout required, we will solve the trolley crisis, the children's hospital will come in on budget - we have an expert overseeing board in place, e vote machines will be a game changer, don't link up the two luas lines etc, etc, etc... excuse me for being cynical, but all the experts have to do is to deny the bleeding obvious until they reach the same common sense conclusion that 'non experts' did on day one, and then they simply change policy after getting some other best practice opinion.

Many a politician has gone down by taking expert opinion as gospel and not even trying to tease out the apparent contradictions... it's too easy to hide behind the expert opinion and then have someone else to blame.

Sean O Rourke was absolutely right to challenge and put the common sense argument forward. Expert opinion is only best practice until it is forced to change.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I am old enough to have been let down by expert opinion on very many occasions over many years. The whole country has.... don't build an extra lane on the M50, the banks are fine, there is no bailout required, we will solve the trolley crisis, the children's hospital will come in on budget - we have an expert overseeing board in place, e vote machines will be a game changer, don't link up the two luas lines etc, etc, etc... excuse me for being cynical, but all the experts have to do is to deny the bleeding obvious until they reach the same common sense conclusion that 'non experts' did on day one, and then they simply change policy after getting some other best practice opinion.

Many a politician has gone down by taking expert opinion as gospel and not even trying to tease out the apparent contradictions... it's too easy to hide behind the expert opinion and then have someone else to blame.

Sean O Rourke was absolutely right to challenge and put the common sense argument forward. Expert opinion is only best practice until it is forced to change.

Unfortunately you are completely wrong ger.

You are conflating ‘how to handle a situation’ with actually ‘handling a situation’

Let me try to explain how events like this are planned.

Let’s say there is a terrorist attack on our city, a serious attack with possibly more to come.

Now there, like in the current situation, there are highly qualified, highly trained personel on hand, trained operatives, facilities available to manage expectations of the citizens.

Then the event event momentum changes and another facet comes up,
    there has been contact and now the public are involved and want information.

Those in charge, untrained, will then be asked by the media for info.

They will go to the trained experts and request guidance as how to handle this .

The experts will take in the potential panic of the public and advise those in charge how to relay to the media what exactly is happening but not contributing to fueling panic.

Those who understand how to ‘handle’ the overall event for public consumption are properly trained.

O’Rourke was way way offside pillorying Harris, way offside.

Very surprised at his lack of understanding but the media have another agenda, and fair play to Harris he was spot on in putting him in his box.

Just a suggestion for yourself, hindsight is great after the event, you need to differentiate planning from execution.

Topper lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

First case of Coronavirus in the East of Ireland. I wonder were they one of the one's that were contacted by Harris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

First case of Coronavirus in the East of Ireland. I wonder were they one of the one's that were contacted by Harris.

Why do you wonder that?

ger, letting yourself down, why don’t you concentrate on the subject matter instead of trying to troll the thread.

It will be interesting to see if history judges Brendan's aloof, "Ministerial" responses as kindly as the actual Minister's.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see if history judges Brendan's aloof, "Ministerial" responses as kindly as the actual Minister's.

Doubt it, however the procedure being followed is correct.

Manage the public, manage the problem.

Otherwise every flapper in the country would be becoming a Coronavirus expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Scared ****less to name the school.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Scared ****less to name the school.;)

Or possibly following the guidance from the department and trying to avoid the possible doxing of a sick student?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri

Is this the Patrick Honohan moment of the Coronavirus?

A studio full of women giving out about lack of representation.

• Advertisement

Coronavirus FM.

A studio full of women giving out about lack of representation.

They're like a gaggle of geese...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Eamon Dunphy speaking sense as always...telling it like it is

fryup wrote: »
    Eamon Dunphy speaking sense as always...telling it like it is

“As always” maybe could be a bit strong, I would suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sèan doesn't sound too good this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Sèan doesn't sound too good this morning.
    A touch of the hard stuff last night.

;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Sean being a bit of a pr1ck here.

Could parking a tractor like that be classed as dangerous parking,ot would H+S be interested in the leaving of a raised loader unnecessarily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Good to see the lockdown in NI.

Hundreds of the fcukers all over the beaches here last Sunday.

Tom Parlon is some spoofer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Appalling fella. Attempting to sound like they are doing the right thing while clearly not doing so at local level and desperate to stay in business fully.

Appalling fella. Attempting to sound like they are doing the right thing while clearly not doing so at local level and desperate to stay in business fully.

Every other sector were being urged to shut down voluntarily, and were rightly praised when they did. But the construction industry want to wait until they are ordered to do so, thereby risking lots more infections.. Disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

An advert break with 1 advert, for the tv licence.

I wonder when the lockdown comes, would going out to buy a tv licence be seen as essential?

Creche owners want a dig out :):). The greatest price gougers in the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

NIMAN wrote: »
    An advert break with 1 advert, for the tv licence.

I wonder when the lockdown comes, would going out to buy a tv licence be seen as essential?

As you can buy it on line ...probably not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Creche owners want a dig out :):). The greatest price gougers in the state.
    Ciaran Mullolly did a report on the TV news the other evening with a creche owner saying that they shoud be allowed to re-open for essential workers. I remember thinking that unless the kids were being kept in separate rooms, this is a crazy idea. (Obviously I have every sympathy for essential workers with small children).

Then yesterday the GP on SOR (rightly) says that it is impossible to maintain social distancing with small children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

How can Dee Forbes justify Rick O'Shea being on Sean and RTE Gold at the same time. I doubt it is the segment with Sean is the one that is pre-recorded. Shows how much consideration he has for his regular Gold listeners

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Little rossie

Listening to Sean speaking to the woman from the travel company in Bray today, she was making lots of excuses for not returning people's deposit/money who have booked a holiday with her company and are now not refunding them. Companies offering a voucher or an alternative date for holiday booked is not on. She even said herself that she may not be in business because of Covid 19. There is a law there to protect consumers so why is it being ignored by some companies. Was disappointed Sean did not pick her up on this, felt he let her away too lightly.

Heard Sean giving a grilling to Paul Reid ( who continues to impress)of the HSE today. Whatever about forward planning I believe the HSE are doing a good job in the face of this unprecedented crisis.

There are a lot of legacy issues in health which predated Reid's arrival and they also have to contend with political as well as economic and policy issues.

May be somebody could give the RTE head a similiar grilling although I do think they have stepped up to the plate as a public broadcasting company.

With no sport taking place for the foreseeable future and most of their sports people on fairly hefty wedges...how are they being deployed during this period.?

Any wage cuts...any reduced hours...how are they dealing with contractors ?

These are salient questions that somebody might ask ?

With no sport taking place for the foreseeable future and most of their sports people on fairly hefty wedges...how are they being deployed during this period.?
    Heard Jon Kenny on RTE 1 the other night DJing a rock/heavy metal set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Des Cahill is doing a half hour slot in the evening, a cosy fireside chat with b list celebrities bout their favourite tracks. Dessie's Island - geddit?

Sure ! I guess some will see an opportunity to "indulge themselves" but I was thinking of something more substantive...the likes of George Hamilton / Tony O'Donoghue / Mil.Corcoran / Marty M / Darragh Moloney / Yvonne Ni Chuilleann / Hugh Cahill etc etc

Big wedges there ............I know there are contracts etc but has not all employees got employment contracts now ?

George Hamilton
    George Hamilton has had a show on Lyric FM called "The Hamilton Scores" for over a decade now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Sure ! I guess some will see an opportunity to "indulge themselves" but I was thinking of something more substantive...the likes of George Hamilton / Tony O'Donoghue / Mil.Corcoran / Marty M / Darragh Moloney / Yvonne Ni Chuilleann / Hugh Cahill etc etc

Big wedges there ............I know there are contracts etc but has not all employees got employment contracts now ?

What's the betting our old friend "legitimate expectations" will be called on? :rolleyes:

serfboard wrote: »
    George Hamilton has had a show on Lyric FM called "The Hamilton Scores" for over a decade now.

Indeed he has Serf...but does that qualify him to continue trousering a wedge just South of 300K ?

That was my point compadre !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Indeed he has Serf...but does that qualify him to continue trousering a wedge just South of 300K ?

That was my point compadre !

Are you the Brenner?

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Are you the Brenner?

Eh ?:confused:

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Are you the Brenner?

Not even close, Mr B.

The boy Hamilton is an excellent artist, extremely proficient in the musical field, piano being his speciality, very enthusiastic interviewee, knows his music and could have made a career there.

Professionally trained.

The Brenner would never dis Mr George... but maybe the wedge might be looked at. :eek:

Grand chat today with Damian Lawlor, just the tonic for sports fans suffering withdrawal symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Sean: You've not been reelected, how long will you be a minister for?
    Regina Doherty: Jesus how long is a piece of string

Looks like she will be a taoiseach's nominee for Seanad

Every cloud has a silver lining.

zell12 wrote: »
    Sean: You've not been reelected, how long will you be a minister for?
    Regina Doherty: Jesus how long is a piece of string

Looks like she will be a taoiseach's nominee for Seanad

@. These parasites would do anything to stay in power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Even though the Stake was driven Through her Heart at the General Election this Vampire will not Die ! !:eek::eek:

blinding wrote: »
    Even though the Stake was driven Through her Heart at the General Election this Vampire will not Die ! !:eek::eek:

Would not be a great fan of Ms Doherty but above posts are a bit stupid.

Until the nxt Govt is formed she has no choice but to stay on as Minister !

In my opinion given the sh1testorm we are presently in and coming down the tracks "staying in power" would not hold a lot of attractions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement