Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

@. These parasites would do anything to stay in power.

How dare she do the job she still has while a government is being put together. Would you prefer she walked away and left the department that is trying to get a lot of people paid in a time of crisis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

dulpit wrote: »
    How dare she do the job she still has while a government is being put together. Would you prefer she walked away and left the department that is trying to get a lot of people paid in a time of crisis?

Did I say anything about the job she's doing ?.
    I'm referring to her losing her seat,saying she has"made her peace" with the people's decision, yet secretly hoping veruka will grant her a seat in the Senate.

I'm referring to her losing her seat,saying she has"made her peace" with the people's decision, yet secretly hoping veruka will grant her a seat in the Senate.

Veruka. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

blinding wrote: »
    Even though the Stake was driven Through her Heart at the General Election this Vampire will not Die ! !:eek::eek:

Who do you think should be minister for DEASP right now and on whose authority would that person have been appointed? Do any of these little details ever actually occur to you? Also what exactly has Doherty done wrong since the crisis started and what would your mythical minister have done differently?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

She was Sacked by the Electorate i.e. The Important people and the Boss.

She is now Un-Elected. She has No Democratic Mandate.

There is a Democratic Deficit when a person with No Democratic Mandate is holding such a Position.

Veruka. :rolleyes:

It’s like “moaney Joanie” (Joan Burton) etc. these people actually think these stupid nicknames are clever and funny. Can’t you just see this poster out bawling at the Irish water meter installers fag in hand in her PJs at 3 o’clock in the afternoon?

She was Sacked by the Electorate i.e. The Important people and the Boss.

She is now Un-Elected. She has No Democratic Mandate.

There is a Democratic Deficit when a person with No Democratic Mandate is holding such a Position.

Yes yes yes. But we need someone to be the minister for Sw during this crisis. So who should be that someone and who would have the authority to appoint that person? If you can’t answer then you’re just talking rubbish.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Who do you think should be minister for DEASP right now and on whose authority would that person have been appointed? Do any of these little details ever actually occur to you? Also what exactly has Doherty done wrong since the crisis started and what would your mythical minister have done differently?
    Perhaps in this situation. A Person with a Democratic Mandate should be doing the Job.

Those who have lost their seats should step down and the Dáil should vote ( even if only temporarily until a Government is formed ) on who should replace them. A TD who gets the most Votes should then take on that role until a Government is formed.

People who were sacked by the electorate should not be doing such roles.

So your just moaning for the sake of moaning? There’s no point to your moaning, you’re pleased with the job she’s doing, you can’t think of anything she should have done differently but you just want to complain? Ok fair enough.

It’s like “moaney Joanie” (Joan Burton) etc. these people actually think these stupid nicknames are clever and funny. Can’t you just see this poster out bawling at the Irish water meter installers fag in hand in her PJs at 3 o’clock in the afternoon?

You've some fukin neck. First off I'm not a her. ;). I used to employ 8 people. I paid taxes,prsi contributions, vat....all my life. I paid the water charges,and received a refund. I brought the Sierra workers out mugs of tea. I am semi retired now,I still pay tax and prsi. I have earned and paid for the rite to call our politicians what ever I fookin like.
    P,S I dont wear PJ's, at any time,I also dont smoke.

• Advertisement

Perhaps in this situation. A Person with a Democratic Mandate should be doing the Job.

Those who have lost their seats should step down and the Dáil should vote ( even if only temporarily until a Government is formed ) on who should replace them. A TD who gets the most Votes should then take on that role until a Government is formed.

So nearly 500000 people need an emergency cash injection over a period of 10 days. Do we
    A. Let the current incumbent deal with it and get the payment out in record time (which is what has happened)
    Or
    B. Bring all the TDs into the dail, re write the constitution so that the current incumbent doesn’t now get to be the minister until a new government is formed then sit around discuss who would be suitable for a few days and all the rows and arguments that will go with that and then nominate TDs then have rounds of voting and eliminating candidates and then appoint someone who has no experience of running DEASP. Tell me, what will al the hungry people do in the meantime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

@. These parasites would do anything to stay in power.

Maybe Wardy 16 or Cullinane would handle it better.

You’d want to be some clown to think that, I would opine.

You've some fukin neck. First off I'm not a her. ;). I used to employ 8 people. I paid taxes,prsi contributions, vat....all my life. I paid the water charges,and received a refund. I brought the Sierra workers out mugs of tea. I am semi retired now,I still pay tax and prsi. I have earned and paid for the rite to call our politicians what ever I fookin like.
    P,S I dont wear PJ's, at any time,I also dont smoke.

You’ve still not told me what Doherty has done wrong since this crisis started. I’m waiting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

... and there was me thinking we had a Constitution in this state :rolleyes:

So nearly 500000 people need an emergency cash injection over a period of 10 days. Do we
    A. Let the current incumbent deal with it and get the payment out in record time (which is what has happened)
    Or
    B. Bring all the TDs into the dail, re write the constitution so that the current incumbent doesn’t now get to be the minister until a new government is formed then sit around discuss who would be suitable for a few days and all the rows and arguments that will go with that and then nominate TDs then have rounds of voting and eliminating candidates and then appoint someone who has no experience of running DEASP. Tell me, what will al the hungry people do in the meantime?
    The Election was a long time ago . What I said to do, should have been done very soon after the Election. Politicians that have been sacked by the Electorate should not be in Office.

You’ve still not told me what Doherty has done wrong since this crisis started. I’m waiting here.

Odyssey 2005
    Quote: dulpit

I'm referring to her losing her seat,saying she has"made her peace" with the people's decision, yet secretly hoping veruka will grant her a seat in the Senate

Did you deliberately skip over this post ?.

And you’ll be waiting Mr Splint.

In my opinion anyway Ms Doherty got shunted largely because she stood up to the coterie of folk who back in the day were trying to game the system.

Same as happened Ms Burton...... these people have long memories and plenty of time.

Time someone tried to give Middle Ireland a break.

Colette Browne on at the moment.

Will we get anything positive.............doubtful in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Similar to those who keep quoting 'gubberment' and 'foreva homes'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Alison and Colette spokespeople for Simon Harris today.

Colette's excuse for how we're doing is basically "sure aren't we doing better than the UK".

The Election was a long time ago . What I said to do, should have been done very soon after the Election. Politicians that have been sacked by the Electorate should not be in Office.

But the Irish Constitution says otherwise. If we want to change the constitution we have to have a referendum. So will we organise a referendum, campaign for and against it, bring people out to vote while observing self isolation and social distancing and lockdown, change the constitution then have 3 weeks of debate about who should now be the minister and then put the minister in place? Have you really no idea how utterly stupid this all sounds?

But the Irish Constitution says otherwise. If we want to change the constitution we have to have a referendum. So will we organise a referendum, campaign for and against it, bring people out to vote while observing self isolation and social distancing and lockdown, change the constitution then have 3 weeks of debate about who should now be the minister and then put the minister in place? Have you really no idea how utterly stupid this all sounds?
    This situation with Electorally Sacked Ministers would be going on whether Covid-19 or not. Its been a long time since the Election.

I showed a more democratic way for this to proceed.

People Sacked by the Electorate ( the boss ) should not still be in office.

Sacked and Out.

This situation with Electorally Sacked Ministers would be going on whether Covid-19 or not. Its been a long time since the Election.

I showed a more democratic way for this to proceed.

People Sacked by the Electorate ( the boss ) should not still be in office.

Sacked and Out.

This is why I voted for the Seanad to be abolished. I knew it would never be reformed and this nonsense would continue.

So many failed TDs just got "elected" to the Seanad this week.

This is why I voted for the Seanad to be abolished. I knew it would never be reformed and this nonsense would continue.

And in this day and age in a Republic only the " Select “ get to choose in a Supposed Democracy ! !

I voted to retain the seanad, but yes, I feel stupid now. fúck you xieann

• Advertisement

I voted to retain the seanad, but yes, I feel stupid now. fúck you xieann

#me2

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Have you....uh.....considered the small matter of the constitution in your proposal ?

Have you....uh.....considered the small matter of the constitution in your proposal ?
    The Constitution cannot be improved upon ? ? ?

People who have been Sacked by the Electorate should not be holding on to Positions of Power ! !

Can you not take on board as set out above that to achieve the position you propose requires the agreement of the electorate via referendums.

So Govt ministers have NO CHOICE but to remain in office.....what part of that do you not understand. .?

Can you not take on board as set out above that to achieve the position you propose requires the agreement of the electorate via referendums.

So Govt ministers have NO CHOICE but to remain in office.....what part of that do you not understand. .?
    They have been Sacked by the Electorate and the Constitution can be changed in the future.

If they refused to “ Serve “ would we have to ram a gun up their Ar$e ? ? ?

• Advertisement

They have been Sacked by the Electorate and the Constitution can be changed in the future.

If they refused to “ Serve “ would we have to ram a gun up their Ar$e ? ? ?

Good man.....excellent and reasoned response ...all points raised in the two posts comprehensively rebutted.

Good man....good man.....keep it going !

Good man.....excellent and reasoned response ...all points raised in the two posts comprehensively rebutted.

Good man....good man.....keep it going !
    I notice ya didn’t answer my point about if they refused to serve ? ?

There are other reasons that they could potentially not serve .g. In Jail, Dead, got to the Bahamas with rent boys or girls.

If any of the above happened they would have to be replaced ! ! !

Getting Sacked by the Electorate is a good enough reason to replace them ! I outlined a perfectly good way to replace them with some Democratic Legitimacy in an earlier post.

Why are you so keen to keep those Sacked by the Electorate ?

I notice ya didn’t answer my point about if they refused to serve ? ?

There are other reasons that they could potentially not serve .g. In Jail, Dead, got to the Bahamas with rent boys or girls.

If any of the above happened they would have to be replaced ! ! !

Getting Sacked by the Electorate is a good enough reason to replace them ! I outlined a perfectly good way to replace them with some Democratic Legitimacy in an earlier post.

Why are you so keen to keep those Sacked by the Electorate ?

How would this approach work? If we were to do it now, with no agreement between parties. Person X is proposed for minister of whatever. Most people will oppose the nomination so it will fail. Similar to the votes for taoiseach we've already had. How do you get over that hurdle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Alison and Colette spokespeople for Simon Harris today.

Colette's excuse for how we're doing is basically "sure aren't we doing better than the UK".

It seems to be default position for our media commentators. Green jerseys adorned, no questioning at all.
    They were the same during the property bubble. They then have the neck to critcise social media?
    Alison took the opportunity to praise all the traditional media outlets including RTE.
    Pravda would be in awe at the level of groupthink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It seems to be default position for our media commentators. Green jerseys adorned, no questioning at all.
    They were the same during the property bubble. They then have the neck to critcise social media?
    Alison took the opportunity to praise all the traditional media outlets including RTE.

Alison o Connor

irelands most self satisfied media commentator and foremost establishment hack

How would this approach work? If we were to do it now, with no agreement between parties. Person X is proposed for minister of whatever. Most people will oppose the nomination so it will fail. Similar to the votes for taoiseach we've already had. How do you get over that hurdle?
    If no one gets a Majority then the person with the most Votes gets the Job ( as I explained ). So then you have an Elected by the People, Person and some Democracy and not someone that has been Sacked by the People.

There is no way someone that has been Sacked by the People should be doing this job for this long.

If no one gets a Majority then the person with the most Votes gets the Job ( as I explained ). So then you have an Elected by the People, Person and some Democracy and not someone that has been Sacked by the People.

There is no way someone that has been Sacked by the People should be doing this job for this long.

So we just do it and change the Constitution afterwards ..is that your point ?

The Sunday Times journalist rightfully took her up on her lack of journalistic curiosity.

For that matter, is she even a journalist? She just seems to bore us on these panel discussions every week.

So we just do it and change the Constitution afterwards ..is that your point ?
    We change it so that this ridiculous situation does not happen again in the future.

People who have been Sacked by the Electorate should not be continuing in Office. It is Anti-Democratic !

We change it so that this ridiculous situation does not happen again in the future.

People who have been Sacked by the Electorate should not be continuing in Office. It is Anti-Democratic !

But the correct sequence is

Propose a change in the Constitution signed by the appropriate people.

Change the Constitution = Passed by Referendum

Implement change .

Until this is done the rubbish you are talking is just that ...rubbish.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The Sunday Times journalist rightfully took her up on her lack of journalistic curiosity.

For that matter, is she even a journalist? She just seems to bore us on these panel discussions every week.

Journalist, broadcaster and author. I never find her boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

elperello wrote: »

You're easily pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You're easily pleased.

I didn't say I always agree with her.
    There is a subtle difference.

elperello wrote: »

Issue I have is the RTE club that seems to regularly appear on these panel discussions - Ger Howlin, Terry Prone, Brian Hayes, Alison O'Connor, Fionan Sheehan, other newspaper political editors etc.

I just don't get the impression they live in the real world. And they are regularly wrong in their assessments of current affairs.

Issue I have is the RTE club that seems to regularly appear on these panel discussions - Ger Howlin, Terry Prone, Brian Hayes, Alison O'Connor, Fionan Sheehan, other newspaper political editors etc.

I just don't get the impression they live in the real world. And they are regularly wrong in their assessments of current affairs.

A lot more than that Mr H as I’m sure you know.

If you checked I’m sure you would establish that a good percentage, plus the presenters, live in the Dalkey,DL, Booterstown, Sandycove Sandymount,Monkstown areas.

Not the real world for a lot of people, so maybe that’s the reason their assessments can be out of kilter with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

zell12 wrote: »
    Sacked by the Electorate but thinking they can Stay in Office. Can Politicians get any more Arrogant ? ?

Sacked by the Electorate but thinking they can Stay in Office. Can Politicians get any more Arrogant ? ?

Change the Constitution then,dude, and stop whinging.

Would Wardy16 or maybe Gino be the man for the job?

The dail can replace her anytime they choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Change the Constitution then,dude, and stop whinging.
    Funnily enough Fine Gael tried to change the constitution in this regard by abolishing that useless second chamber Seanad Eireann, but this was rejected by the electorate. To the surprise of some eejits the rejection was not followed by a reform of the Seanad, and so we still have Taoiseach's nominations today.

There is a (Fine Gael) precedent for keeping Regina Doherty in cabinet - Garret Fitzgerald did it in 1981 by appointing James Dooge to the Seanad, and then appointing him Minister of Foreign Affairs, since the constitution allows for Senators to be Ministers.

IIRC, Fitzgerald said afterwards that opposition to this move came, not from Fianna Fail, but from within Fine Gael where people who had been elected were annoyed that someone who had not been was made a Minister, and hence this move has not been repeated until now.

I'd be surprised if this will change, and I presume that talk about this is coming from "sources close to" Doherty herself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement