Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

serfboard wrote: »
    Funnily enough Fine Gael tried to change the constitution in this regard by abolishing that useless second chamber Seanad Eireann, but this was rejected by the electorate. To the surprise of some eejits the rejection was not followed by a reform of the Seanad, and so we still have Taoiseach's nominations today.

There is a (Fine Gael) precedent for keeping Regina Doherty in cabinet - Garret Fitzgerald did it in 1981 by appointing James Dooge to the Seanad, and then appointing him Minister of Foreign Affairs, since the constitution allows for Senators to be Ministers.

IIRC, Fitzgerald said afterwards that opposition to this move came, not from Fianna Fail, but from within Fine Gael where people who had been elected were annoyed that someone who had not been was made a Minister, and hence this move has not been repeated until now.

I'd be surprised if this will change, and I presume that talk about this is coming from "sources close to" Doherty herself.

Lord, it’s incredibly circular and self-serving isn’t it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

serfboard wrote: »
    Funnily enough Fine Gael tried to change the constitution in this regard by abolishing that useless second chamber Seanad Eireann, but this was rejected by the electorate. To the surprise of some eejits the rejection was not followed by a reform of the Seanad, and so we still have Taoiseach's nominations today.

There is a (Fine Gael) precedent for keeping Regina Doherty in cabinet - Garret Fitzgerald did it in 1981 by appointing James Dooge to the Seanad, and then appointing him Minister of Foreign Affairs, since the constitution allows for Senators to be Ministers.

IIRC, Fitzgerald said afterwards that opposition to this move came, not from Fianna Fail, but from within Fine Gael where people who had been elected were annoyed that someone who had not been was made a Minister, and hence this move has not been repeated until now.

I'd be surprised if this will change, and I presume that talk about this is coming from "sources close to" Doherty herself.

Needs reform badly, can’t have these people swilling around the system for ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

Wow, Coveney is bad at speaking on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Eh, umm, er, ah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You only noticed this in April 2020? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Careful. The Brenner will think you're having a cut at FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Careful. The Brenner will think you're having a cut at FG.

No, not an articulate speaker, but an accurate and correct one in content.

The Brenner always sticks to the facts, and thems the facts.

He might not be an articulate flowing speaker, but unlike some who can ‘flap’ till the cows come home, and have zero content, he always gets his core points across.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Had the unfortunate experience of catching Marty Morrisey interviewing Mike Murphy on today’s show. To say Murphy is a Denis o Brian fanboy would be an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My God, if David Agnew was icecream he'd be licking himself.

What a pain he is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That bit of non essential fluff should have been saved for the ray d'arcy show. Was screaming for Sean to zip it up long before he did and get back to the serious business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

He had some Swedish woman on from the WHO and he put it to her about the evidence showing closing down borders had worked to a degree, something the WHO is against.
    She blathered some response that wasn't really related to that question and Sean then weighed in to help her by pointing out EU Commission boss Von Der Lyen said some countries decisions to close borders had nearly collapsed the EU in March. Long queues at border checkpoints and some procurement delays in PPE orders apparently nearly brought down the EU!
    The official EU propaganda machine for the Irish Govt, RTE, quickly trotting out the party line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

jay0109 wrote: »
    He had some Swedish woman on from the WHO and he put it to her about the evidence showing closing down borders had worked t a degree, something the WHO is against.
    She blathered some response that wasn't really related to that question and Sean then weighed in to help her by pointing out EU Commission boss Von Der Lyen said some countries decisions to close borders had nearly collapsed the EU in March. Long queues at border checkpoints and some procurement delays in PPE orders apparently nearly brought down the EU!
    The official EU propaganda machine for the Irish Govt, RTE, quickly trotting out the party line.
    Does Sean O’Rourkes wife work for Fine Gael ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    My God, if David Agnew was icecream he'd be licking himself.

What a pain he is!

Thought the lad came across as fairly sound...loved his reference to kids sport as tennis and hockey....kinda South Dublin wha ?

O'Rourke had to throw in some hurling metaphors to ensure political correctness.

Although Agnew did give a mention to Gaelic Football towards the end ...wouldn't have thought you would bump into him in the Red Parrott before a Dubs match though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

blinding wrote: »

Married to Caroline Murphy.

Part of the furniture in RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

blinding wrote: »
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Married to Caroline Murphy.

Part of the furniture in RTE.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/rte-stalwart-leaves-to-advise-justice-minister-36799190.html

Not exactly for Fine Gael more a public funded gig now coming to an end most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Sean retiring in May

He just announced it before ending the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Sean just announced his retirement live on-air! :eek:

His last show on Friday 8th. May!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

sligojoek wrote: »
    Sean retiring in May

He'll be a big loss, if I don't listen to Pat Kenny I podcast SOR and vice versa.

Liked the song he finished with. God wonder who will take that slot now? Will they go for a woman, perhaps Sarah McIneney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Please not more Miraim O'Bleedin-Callaghan!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    This x 1000 :eek:

Sean will be missed by me anyway, he's my go-to for current affairs, hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

sligojoek wrote: »
    Sean retiring in May

Been a fair bit of speculation for a while. Good luck to him.

Wonder who will get the gig now, Cormac O'hEadhra chap? Or a female voice? Needs someone with a wide area of interests, not just politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BarryD2 wrote: »

Wonder who will get the gig now, Cormac O'hEadhra chap? Or a female voice? Needs someone with a wide area of interests, not just politics.
    Does that rule Darcy out ? :)

I find Cormac O hEadhra far too combative, his programmes lately just sound argumentative and ill-tempered.

I know the presenter has to ask the hard questions, but he's taken it a level too far for me.

And he is forever interrupting with another, different question, never lets the guest expand on their point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'd give to Kathryn Thomas. A fantastic presenter and easy on the eye as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cormac O hEadhra is literally unlistenable. Dunno how the hell he has a radio career to be honest.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'd give to Kathryn Thomas. A fantastic presenter and easy on the eye as well...
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I think it’s just the ticket for Lottie Ryan!

It's a radio show, you know....

My guess is that it'll go to a female voice (Not Kathryn Thomas though!) if one can be found - would Claire Byrne be ready to return to radio? She was terrible at Newstalk but much better now on the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

and easy on the eye as well...

That's a bit like having Irish dancing on the radio. :D (actually happened believe it or not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pc7 wrote: »
    He'll be a big loss, if I don't listen to Pat Kenny I podcast SOR and vice versa.

Liked the song he finished with. God wonder who will take that slot now? Will they go for a woman, perhaps Sarah McIneney.

If M O'C is up for the gig, I'd say it's hers for the taking.

Sarah McInerney imv is much better suited to the weekend slot that BO'C has, it's a magazine show, she is good and articulate, whereas O'C is whiny and depressing.

I'd like O'Headhra to get SOR gig, but he can talk over people a LOT,

But If MO'C gets the gig that's RTE R1 finished for me.

Best of luck to SOR.

+1 But she's only a few years left and drifted into a different radio persona now. So hopefully safe on that front........

My guess is that it'll go to a female voice (Not Kathryn Thomas though!) if one can be found - would Claire Byrne be ready to return to radio? She was terrible at Newstalk but much better now on the telly.

CB shares news at 1 with Aine Lawlor most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Will you have a word with yourself. This is not a magazine show about collections of belly button fluff and how painful is your period, its the most important current affairs show on weekday radio.

Give it to Katie Hannon in my opinion. A serious operator. Sarah McInerney either. And I find Cormac O hEadhra fine too, well able for any bluffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think the secret of the magazine format is the quality of the staff around you...good editors and researchers and this slot seemed to always have them in abundance whereas the private stations didn't seem to make the same investment.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Will you have a word with yourself. This is not a magazine show about collections of belly button fluff and how painful is your period, its the most important current affairs show on weekday radio.

Give it to Katie Hannon in my opinion. A serious operator. Sarah McInerney either. And I find Cormac O hEadhra fine too, well able for any bluffers.

Katie Hannon is a good shout.

Larbre34 wrote: »

As a new maawwwm I feel.....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I find Cormac O hEadhra far too combative, his programmes lately just sound argumentative and ill-tempered.

I know the presenter has to ask the hard questions, but he's taken it a level too far for me.

And he is forever interrupting with another, different question, never lets the guest expand on their point.

Agree completely and he took that approach forwards from the Late Debate. But he has the smarts and is a Gaelgeoir with a blas that would go down well with the powers that be.... and maybe that's all that really matters? Plenty of miles to go as well. Not sure if he has the width of interests/ knowledge though - PK excelled here, S'OR perhaps less so as more of a political man, but still was listenable.

Still if they insist on keeping Tubridy in particular and Ronan Collins, maybe someone like Sarah McInerney will get the slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I sure he has a column lined up with a newspaper but would Newstalk tempt him with a big offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

They might have a bit of a reshuffle and between Gavin Jennings, Mary Wilson, David McCullagh, Katie Hannon, Claire Byrne and Cormac Ó hEadhra.

Wasn't Marian Finucane planning to retire around now too? So they might have had a reshuffle in the planning for the departure of both her and SO'R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Best of luck to Sean O'Rourke in his retirement - a great radio presenter, who had perhaps lost a bit of the edge in the last year or so.

In relation to successors, ye all seem to be forgetting the Morning Ireland crew. Surely some of them might appreciate not having to get up at godawful o'clock? The current lineup there is Rachel English, Gavin Jennings, Audrey Carville and Dobbo. All very good presenters.

If it was in my gift I'd give it to Rachel English. She used to do the drivetime slot and was excellent in that - well able to mix hard news and lighter topics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

shockwave wrote: »
    I sure he has a column lined up with a newspaper but would Newstalk tempt him with a big offer?
    Probably a few books in him!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

We do seem to elevate these radio and tv 'celebrities' to some sort of mythical status. Isn't it all a bit parochial still? He's retiring, so what. Is this really news?

Now being picked up by all the usual news outlets. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

Paul Cunningham or Aine Lawlor or Tony Connelly

You need somebody with knowledge of politics

is_that_so wrote: »
    Probably a few books in him!

Which he'll flog in due course courtesy of whoever takes over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Which he'll flog in due course courtesy of whoever takes over :)
    It's the way of the world!

They might have a bit of a reshuffle and between Gavin Jennings, Mary Wilson, David McCullagh, Katie Hannon, Claire Byrne and Cormac Ó hEadhra.

Wasn't Marian Finucane planning to retire around now too? So they might have had a reshuffle in the planning for the departure of both her and SO'R

:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Cal4567 wrote: »
    We do seem to elevate these radio and tv 'celebrities' to some sort of mythical status. Isn't it all a bit parochial still? He's retiring, so what. Is this really news?

Now being picked up by all the usual news outlets. FFS.

Celebrity has nothing to do with it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I’ve always been a big fan of Pat Kenny’s but after his move to Newstalk I found myself spending more time listening to Sean O’Rourke. I’m going to miss him when he retires. In my view he was a proper old school journalist who first served his time working in print media before moving into broadcasting in RTÉ.

I’m not sure who I want to replace him, it’s probably easier to provide a list of people I don’t want - Clare Byrne, Áine Lawlor, Miriam O’Callaghan, Sarah McInerney.

I think Dobbo could work well in the role for a few years until he retires. Katie Hannon, Gavin Jennings and Rachel English are also possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's a tricky slot, you need someone with a bit of heft, a current affairs junkie, who can also carry off the lighter stuff when required. MOC, Aine Lawlor, maybe dobbo could do that but not exactly screaming new blood there. I'd like Audrey Carville personally but she may be comfortable where she is for now. No idea really, they'll go for who they want to go for.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement