Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Not everybody on a good income has an expensive watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Boroso wrote: »
    inverted snobbery

Line breaks: in|vert¦ed snob|beryPronunciation:

noun

[mass noun] derogatory the attitude of seeming to despise anything associated with wealth or social status, while at the same time elevating those things associated with lack of wealth and social position.
    Thanks! I love learning something new. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sean was talking about Benefits Street, as opposed to RTE which is on the posher Benefits Avenue.
    Are either of them anywhere near Entitlements Row (on the northside) or Entitlements Mews (on the southside)? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just around the corner from increments junction.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

inverted snobbery

Line breaks: in|vert¦ed snob|beryPronunciation:

noun

[mass noun] derogatory the attitude of seeming to despise anything associated with wealth or social status, while at the same time elevating those things associated with lack of wealth and social position.

As a newbie around here you should know that theres alot of sarcasm and pi55taking on the radio forum. If your going to be such a sensitive soul about comments made about radio people and rte in particular youd be better finding a more polite forum. After hours is definitly not for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Boroso

neris wrote: »
    As a newbie around here you should know that theres alot of sarcasm and pi55taking on the radio forum. If your going to be such a sensitive soul about comments made about radio people and rte in particular youd be better finding a more polite forum. After hours is definitly not for you

I wasn't planning on being a sensitive soul. I thank you for your unasked for advice, although have often found, myself, that unasked for advice rarely is offered by those people who one seeks out for the quality of their advice.

For your notes, inverted snobbery can come in many forms, even sometimes as sarcasm, and the two are not mutually exclusive.

As an "oldie" around here, I assume you expect new entrants from time to time, and it seems particularly insensitive of you to think being an "oldie" gives you extra rights or privileges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Public Health Warning: Tom Parlon, property bubble shill ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

They haven't gone away you know - Parlon is enough to spoil my weekend :mad:

Callan57 wrote: »
    They haven't gone away you know - Parlon is enough to spoil my weekend :mad:

Why why why does the Today Show think it's appropriate to have a Construction lobbyist on to talk about housing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

In the context of the times and environment in which Paisley lived, to have only been "a bully with a massive ego" seems to be quite a compliment. To have stood up to murderers, thugs, armed paramilitaries, bombs, car bombs, assaults, knee-cappings and all the rest, to have just been viewed as a bit of a bully with an ego seems quite restrained and mild, in context.

So Paisley stood up to the UDA and UVF!

... and now it's Dermot Ahern :eek:
    Spring must be early this year, the dinosaurs are all out of hibernation - no doubt Dermot will tell us all about crime & the causes of crime.
    Think I'll go for a coffee this deja vou is too much for me :mad::mad:

delaad wrote: »
    So Paisley stood up to the UDA and UVF!

In the context in which Paisley lived, that he was merely thought to be a "bully with a massive " ego seems comparatively benign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Maybe Sean doesn't realise it but saying "Coming up after the break - Tom Parlon" is guaranteed to make me switch off/over.

And judging by the quoted comment I'm not alone.

And there's the twelve o clock beep! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

... and now it's Dermot Ahern :eek:
    Spring must be early this year, the dinosaurs are all out of hibernation - no doubt Dermot will tell us all about crime & the causes of crime.
    Think I'll go for a coffee this deja vou is too much for me :mad::mad:

The nodding donkey as Ivan Yates described him!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Enjoying Valerie Cox's report from my old neck of the woods and can relate to it all.

But she could work a bit on getting place names right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Lapin wrote: »
    Enjoying Valerie Cox's report from my old neck of the woods and can relate to it all.

But she could work a bit on getting place names right.

Sean put her right sharpish.

I can understand these places are isolated but to say that there are tribes in the Amazon less isolated than them, hyperbole much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sean put her right sharpish.

I noticed that. Although the area is his old neck of the woods too. He probably did it without thinking.
    I can understand these places are isolated but to say that there are tribes in the Amazon less isolated than them, hyperbole much?

I was thinking the same thing. :)

It reminded me of the time the late Seamus Brennan described a bridge carrying the Luas over a roundabout in Dundrum as 'Dublin's Golden Gate Bridge'.

And the time local politicians in Dublin's Docklands suggested plans to build 3 highrise buildings there would turn the area into Manhattan !

Also, how any regional airfield in Ireland that managed to secure a flight to Luton or Bristol became an international airport overnight !

We do love our hyperbole in Ireland. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Oh dear god. M'Lady O'Donnell is going on and on and on and on and on and on. It is probably 15 min and feels like an hour....

• Advertisement

Is there any need for the Angelus? Sean's Casio watch alarm is a perfectly good alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Lapin wrote: »
    It reminded me of the time the late Seamus Brennan described a bridge carrying the Luas over a roundabout in Dundrum as 'Dublin's Golden Gate Bridge'.

And the time local politicians in Dublin's Docklands suggested plans to build 3 highrise buildings there would turn the area into Manhattan !

Also, how any regional airfield in Ireland that managed to secure a flight to Luton or Bristol became an international airport overnight !

We do love our hyperbole in Ireland. :o

Outstanding post, Lapin.

touts wrote: »
    Oh dear god. M'Lady O'Donnell is going on and on and on and on and on and on. It is probably 15 min and feels like an hour....

It seems to have become a fashion here to listen to MLOD on the radio, and then rush here to say how shocking and appalling she is.

Why does anyone listen to MLOD all the time professing they don't like to listen to MLOD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

It seems to have become a fashion here to listen to MLOD on the radio, and then rush here to say how shocking and appalling she is.

Why does anyone listen to MLOD all the time professing they don't like to listen to MLOD?

I don't have control of the radio in the office.

Because we enjoy listening to the rest of the show, and this is a segment we don't enjoy?

I don't ... the minute Sean mentiones her I'm gone. Which unfortunately is why I regularly miss later items on the show. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

These apprentice guys, serious question, but they're earning a wage unlike a lot of students, so why shouldn't they be paying fees like a full time student ? Are they being asked to pay more than a full time 3rd level student ?

320 a week and living at home...and he can't afford 800 euro fees? Suck it up Princess.

There's my answer, they're not being asked to pay anything a full time student isn't being asked to pay. Stick your whinges up your ass so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'm seriously impressed by the fact that Sean's watch is bang on the button. It must be one of those atomic thingies linked to Greenwich.

• Advertisement

Because we enjoy listening to the rest of the show, and this is a segment we don't enjoy?

When you say "we" you are you talking on behalf of?

Not only do you not enjoy it, but you keep telling us how you don't enjoy it, over and over and over and over. "We" all know you don't like it as you remind us at every available opportunity.

Have you ever considered saying why you do like to listen to the show, rather than telling us over and over and over and over again why you don't like about it?

Ivy is speaking on behalf of me, for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Agus mise.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Agus mise.

Und mich.

Not only do you not enjoy it, but you keep telling us how you don't enjoy it, over and over and over and over. "We" all know you don't like it as you remind us at every available opportunity.

Have you ever considered saying why you do like to listen to the show, rather than telling us over and over and over and over again why you don't like about it?
    I've never said I don't enjoy the show! :confused:
    I comment on items I enjoy from the show as well as items I don't like from the show.
    Why are you so interested in what I say about the show anyway? What difference does it make to you?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Agus mise.
    Und mich.

I am Spartacus ! Oh, wait, wrong rabble !

I love this video, and like to re-post it every now and then so that as many as possible can enjoy it!

"Who's this woman, and where did you find her?"

I've never said I don't enjoy the show! :confused:
    I comment on items I enjoy from the show as well as items I don't like from the show.
    Why are you so interested in what I say about the show anyway? What difference does it make to you?

What difference does it make to you what difference it might make to me?

What interests me is why you, and others, keep making the same points over and over and over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What interests me is why you, and others, keep making the same points over and over and over and over.

You first.
    Why do you keep re-regging?

• Advertisement

What difference does it make to you what difference it might make to me?

I'm posting on a public forum about a radio show. I don't believe there is anything wrong with what I'm posting. If there is something in my posts which is against the forum or boards.ie charter, please report them to a mod. Otherwise would you just let it go, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Because they enjoy the rest of the programme but enjoy her segments as much as diarrohea?

Maybe they could tell us exactly what time she's going to finish at, so we know when to tune in again. Everyone could synchronise their watches with Sean's hourly signal, to make sure we get our timings right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Mod Note: No more derailing the thread. If you're not willing to discuss the topic at hand, you know where the door is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

I love this video, and like to re-post it every now and then so that as many as possible can enjoy it!

"Who's this woman, and where did you find her?"

Wasnt in the boarding house anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

That plank Des Cahill is currently on talking excitedly about a tie break in the 3rd set ongoing ''as we speak'' when it was well over.
    Just now as Cahill finished his slot the presenter SOR said id love to know who wins that 3rd set tie break Des?. Cahill says ill go away and find out for you and wire it in to you. Arrgh I mean why cant he hold a smartphone in his hand with the live ticker.
    I bet he wasnt even following it live. They make him sound like hes on the ball but he has to be one of the laziest pieces of cow dung there is in Montrose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Valerie Cock...

Great start to the week Sean!

• Advertisement

No wonder Sean is laughing at the idiot ... Baby Cowan lecturing on quangos, he must think we have terrible short memories:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

No wonder Sean is laughing at the idiot ... Baby Cowan lecturing on quangos, he must think we have terrible short memories:mad:

Is that Brian's brother he sounds like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

heybaby wrote: »
    Is that Brian's brother he sounds like him.
    Yup.

Former Bertie Ahern acolyte becomes cheerleader for Iran. Makes sense, I suppose.

I wonder how much he's being paid by the Iranians for this PR exercise?

Sean must have slept late this morning & forget to put on his watch :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement