Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Callan57 wrote: »
    Sean must have slept late this morning & forget to put on his watch :)

Or he might be reading Boards..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Ah the watch alarm is back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ah the watch alarm is back :)
    I don't get much of a chance to listen to Seán, so I've been bemusedly reading these comments, and wondering how loud it could be, or how good all your hearing is.

Listened this morning, and ye're right. It's very obvious.

On the plus side, it distracted me from listening to boring Ed Walsh bleating on with his usual "Private sector good, public sector bad" rubbish ... thought he was nicely put in his box this morning by someone who actually knew what they were talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Haven't heard Des Cahill on the 11 a.m. sports news in ages. Were the rumours of a "bust up" between him and SOR true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Red Fred wrote: »
    Haven't heard Des Cahill on the 11 a.m. sports news in ages. Were the rumours of a "bust up" between him and SOR true?

Didn't hear anything about that.

Maybe Sean asked him to report the sport and not 'de paartie' after.

Yet another Church failure which the state is reqd to pay for .. high time the charade in schools & hospitals where the church holds the control but the state (taxpayer) pays all the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Yet another Church failure which the state is reqd to pay for .. high time the charade in schools & hospitals where the church holds the control but the state (taxpayer) pays all the bills.

yep,same old,same old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Red Fred wrote: »

Des Cahill was on with Sean O'Rourke just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think that the judgement was based on the fact that it wasn't a church failure: the state was trying to avoid its responsibility by offloading it onto the church.

I think that the judgement was based on the fact that it wasn't a church failure: the state was trying to avoid its responsibility by offloading it onto the church.

My point is that the church since the foundation of the state has kept a determined stranglehold on education & health (with the aid of fundamentelist laiety certainly) it is long past time we severed church and state completly. It is not that long since teachers salary cheques went to the local PP not directly to the teacher/s & in much of the country still the local PP has huge influence on the appointment of teachers in national schools.

• Advertisement

My point is that the church since the foundation of the state has kept a determined stranglehold on education & health (with the aid of fundamentelist laiety certainly) it is long past time we severed church and state completly. It is not that long since teachers salary cheques went to the local PP not directly to the teacher/s & in much of the country still the local PP has huge influence on the appointment of teachers in national schools.
    I don't disagree with you very significantly in this area.

My point is two-fold:
    - the less important aspect is the nit-picking one that in this instance it was actually a state failure to protect children;
    - the more significant aspect is that the church ambition to exercise control is matched by a state wish to use it as a way to avoid taking the responsibilities that it should be accepting.

I don't disagree with you very significantly in this area.

My point is two-fold:
    - the less important aspect is the nit-picking one that in this instance it was actually a state failure to protect children;
    - the more significant aspect is that the church ambition to exercise control is matched by a state wish to use it as a way to avoid taking the responsibilities that it should be accepting.

I would disagree with the above in that from the foundation of the state the church control over it's adherants was total - I think it is almost impossible for us today to comprehend just how completly people (including politicians & senior civil servants) were brainwashed and could simply not conceive of "taking on" any church representative. You may be quite certain any politician or civil servant crossing McQuaid or anyother bishop was waving goodbye to their future careers.

McQuaid is long dead, but the state continues to externalise its responsibilities.

McQuaid is long dead, but the state continues to externalise its responsibilities.

We still have the fundamentalists who do their best to carry on his legacy though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Ciaran

The land league must have got some credit for their mobile this morning. :)

I feel sorry for those staff in Mt Carmel but why are they so different from the thousands of other people who have lost their jobs in recent years? It was simply another business after all.
    If anything they are probably better off in that they have much needed skills & experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Why do RTE continue to bring in PR people to give comment on issues, people whose profession is to lie pathologically and teach others to do so.

Why do RTE continue to bring in PR people to give comment on issues, people whose profession is to lie pathologically and teach others to do so.

Only thing worse is Eamon Ryan - waffling nonsense :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Only thing worse is Eamon Ryan - waffling nonsense :mad:

If only Eamon was in government, all our problems would be solved........oh, I just remembered; he WAS in government around the time the country went belly-up. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

I feel sorry for those staff in Mt Carmel but why are they so different from the thousands of other people who have lost their jobs in recent years? It was simply another business after all.
    If anything they are probably better off in that they have much needed skills & experience.

probably the hospital of choice for rte staff on the big bucks. couldnt have them slumming it on trolleys down in holles street now could we

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

neris wrote: »
    probably the hospital of choice for rte staff on the big bucks. couldnt have them slumming it on trolleys down in holles street now could we

Hospital of choice for middle class southsider pregnancies for the most part. RTE being based slap bang in the middle of that catchment area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

This story is so sad. I'm not married, and the idea that someone with "moral authority" could take my son away from me without my consent just sickens me. And those children grew up thinking their mothers didn't want them. It's just so cruel.

This story is so sad. I'm not married, and the idea that someone with "moral authority" could take my son away from me without my consent just sickens me. And those children grew up thinking their mothers didn't want them. It's just so cruel.

Even if it was "different times" nevertheless a huge level of deliberate cruelty & inhumanity was displayed by these so-called christians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Paddy O'Gorman hanging around outside a gay bar. This should be a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Paddy O'Gorman hanging around outside a gay bar. This should be a good laugh.

Anyone know if Paddy's dog is gay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jaysus paddy chatting to his mates from the theater and pimping their festivels now.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The country is awash, not with floods, but country and western shtick.

MLOD I gone ... thank God for Gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

fangurl Mary Louise O'Donnell... Nathan Carter seems like a nice guy, and a good singer, but he's just a good country singer... He's not the music revolutionary that MLOD seems to think..

Why does everything she does have to be exaggerated so much??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MLOD is like a good magician - she can make people disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

fangurl Mary Louise O'Donnell... Nathan Carter seems like a nice guy, and a good singer, but he's just a good country singer... He's not the music revolutionary that MLOD seems to think..

Why does everything she does have to be exaggerated so much??

Because she's a balloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Whenever I hear the IONA lads on the radio opposing Gay marraige on the grounds that "Only a mother and father is the perfect environment to raise children" it strikes me that pretty much the same argument was used back in the 60s to take children off unmarried women and widowed fathers and either sell them to rich families or into the clutches of abusive priests and brothers in institutions. Apparently being buggered and beaten by a priest was better for the kids than being raised by a single parent or, god forbid, a loving gay couple.

touts wrote: »
    Whenever I hear the IONA lads on the radio opposing Gay marraige on the grounds that "Only a mother and father is the perfect environment to raise children" it strikes me that pretty much the same argument was used back in the 60s to take children off unmarried women and widowed fathers and either sell them to rich families or into the clutches of abusive priests and brothers in institutions. Apparently being buggered and beaten by a priest was better for the kids than being raised by a single parent or, god forbid, a loving gay couple.
    Yeah. I hate that argument, I mean I know people who were brought up by a "happily" married straight couple who were completely miserable.

touts wrote: »

I would wager that very, very few (if any) children are reared by "perfect" parents regardless of what genders or combination of genders the parents are.
    I really hate how these IONA self appointed know-alls bring out the very very worst in me. Their arrogant smugness & intolerance send my BP into dangerous territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hard not to smash the radio against the wall listening to this pius fool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the horrors the church has been through

what about the kids Ronan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just heard a short few seconds today. That senator Ronan mullen fella ontificating about how UN organisations that arent involved in peace keeping are dodgy. Unlike the pure moral organisation like the church i suppose.

Also who is this ronan mullen fella and what makes him so high and mighty that he can tell others how to live?

neris wrote: »
    Just heard a short few seconds today. That senator Ronan mullen fella ontificating about how UN organisations that arent involved in peace keeping are dodgy. Unlike the pure moral organisation like the church i suppose.

Also who is this ronan mullen fella and what makes him so high and mighty that he can tell others how to live?

Self appointed morality police :eek:

The first segment of today's programme dealt with the bugging of the GSOC. I was impressed by the way SO'R dealt with it. He was focused, and let the story speak for itself. Sean did not editorialise or comment on the story. The restraint of a true journalist.

While Pat Kenny did a lot of good jpurnalism when he was in the programme, I cannot imagine Pat being so restrained.

The first segment of today's programme dealt with the bugging of the GSOC. I was impressed by the way SO'R dealt with it. He was focused, and let the story speak for itself. Sean did not editorialise or comment on the story. The restraint of a true journalist.

While Pat Kenny did a lot of good jpurnalism when he was in the programme, I cannot imagine Pat being so restrained.
    Really excellent journalism this morning, I felt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Marco Herbst and GSK open a mosquito museum in Dublin?? Would they not be better funding treatment for people infected with malaria? I don't see the point of this item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

jordata wrote: »
    Marco Herbst and GSK open a mosquito museum in Dublin?? Would they not be better funding treatment for people infected with malaria? I don't see the point of this item.

Was just coming on to say the same thing! Good PR for GSK I suppose. :confused: Though I find a malaria museum in Grafton St a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

Ohmigod, the show is falling apart!!! Where did Sean go there??? I thought we would be left with the agony aunt to host the rest of the show!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Dang...I thought she could have at least contributed a clanger!

sudzs wrote: »
    Ohmigod, the show is falling apart!!! Where did Sean go there??? I thought we would be left with the agony aunt to host the rest of the show!!

I have no great interest in listening to an agony aunt but surely this was very unprofessional, extremly rude to the interviewee & embarrassing for the listeners. Sean really should have moved on to something else if they had technical difficulties & come back to this topic when things were sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭endas donkey

more green propaganda being pumped out today with uber manhater(sorry feminist) now turned green expert Germaine Greer. Just left to talk without any challenge. Pat Kenny on the other side is just as bad. Day after day of this crap.

Did we not learn a lesson when six of these idiots were in the government and all the damage they did.

And there goes Sean's 11am alarm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

And there goes Sean's 11am alarm :)

I know!

Surely he could use something a little more discreet.

Call me Al wrote: »
    I know!

Surely he could use something a little more discreet.

I'd kinda miss it now - gives me a :) on the hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,872 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Himself and Ronan Collins had a laugh about it when it went off at 12 o clock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement