Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Michael Martin calling for a report... Now there's a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Michael Martin calling for a report... Now there's a shock.
    Conor Brady also thinks a report is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Conor Brady also thinks a report is required.

Report? Bucket of whitewash?.......what's the difference , (except the cost, of course).:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Report? Bucket of whitewash?.......what's the difference , (except the cost, of course).:confused:

Lots of reports.

Lots of 'lessons learned'

Zero action.

Jaysus this is fairly ad hoc isnt it.. Worst advice since Jim Power was last on the show..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

These security analysts/experts/correspondents take themselves way too seriously.

These security analysts/experts/correspondents take themselves way too seriously.
    All of them? All of the time? In relation to every issue?

I thought Tom Clonan's comments today were on the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

If the issue in question wasn't as serious as it is I might have agreed with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

This issue could hardly be more serious - goes right to the heart of the state & frankly it amazes me more people aren't concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Jaysus, you'd think they'd be able to get an RTE audio clip with better sound quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

the more i hear that Tom Clonan guy the more i think he knows about whats going on but just doesnt have the proof to put it out in public. this whole things just shown what contempt the garda commisionar has for the citizens of this country. 30 years ago somthing liek this would have brought a goverment down but labour are on such a power trip that they wouldnt walk out of a coalition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

neris wrote: »
    the more i hear that Tom Clonan guy the more i think he knows about whats going on but just doesnt have the proof to put it out in public. this whole things just shown what contempt the garda commisionar has for the citizens of this country. 30 years ago somthing liek this would have brought a goverment down but labour are on such a power trip that they wouldnt walk out of a coalition

I would have to say that I was surprised at the certainty the the GC had that there was no Garda involvement..

Was putting himself right on on a ledge if he was proved wrong.

People usually dont go out that far without some inside information.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

Is it just me, or has the level of paper shuffling being picked up by the Mics increased recently? And it's not just SOR's show, but across all talk stations and many different presenters. Can anything be done? Like changing the microphone positioning, or use a different quality paper that won't rustle quite as much? When will the Tablet finally replace the A4 sheet in the studio?

Pure in Heart - after watching Quirke on Sunday night I really do not need this :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have they changed the theme toon again?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Have they changed the theme toon again?

Who?.......the government??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Who?.......the government??
    No the signature tune of the show..it seems more akin to the previous Today with PK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looks like Audrey Carvill has borrowed Seans watch. She had the 'beeps' at 11pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Jasus the religious brigade are in again. Your one from the IONA got 20 minutes of "Poor poor me! It's so so tough being a homophobe. Poor Poor me!" with Marian on Saturday morning and now this one from Pure in Heart is getting one of the softest interviews I've ever heard from Sean. Some lawer must have really scared the **** out of RTE because since the Saturday Night show it's been wall to wall Holy Catholic Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

touts wrote: »
    this one from Pure in Heart is getting one of the softest interviews I've ever heard from Sean.

It was very soft wasn't it, she was let deflect every criticism with the response something along the lines of "Well we don't concentrate on that particular area" or whatever she was saying.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    Jasus the religious brigade are in again. Your one from the IONA got 20 minutes of "Poor poor me! It's so so tough being a homophobe. Poor Poor me!" with Marian on Saturday morning and now this one from Pure in Heart is getting one of the softest interviews I've ever heard from Sean. Some lawer must have really scared the **** out of RTE because since the Saturday Night show it's been wall to wall Holy Catholic Ireland.

Sean O'Rourke missed a golden opportunity to expose this Pure in Heart lot for the old-style Catholic zealots that they are. He didn't ask why they use the term 'pure' in their name and equating purity with sexual abstinence. They are implying that people who engage in sex without the official sanction of the Catholic Church are inherently 'impure', or just bad people.
    I don't understand why they get access to schools to propagate their narrow religious obsessions.
    It's the old Catholic mantra that the only real sin is sex and everyone must be made to feel guilty about it!

"Lighting the orange shouldnt set off the fire extinguisher"..

That's a fairly fancy fire extinguisher O'Rourke has, isnt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

casio-digital-watch-b640wb-648-p.jpg

Jaysus, she's some dose..

Youd swear the fruit market was disney land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Potatoes carrots parsnips tomatoes lettuces pears apples oranges. In a fruit and veg market. Who'd have thunk it.

Duno whos thicker. The young fella who says theres no onions or her for asking where the onions are while looking at them

sligojoek wrote: »
    Potatoes carrots parsnips tomatoes lettuces pears apples oranges. In a fruit and veg market. Who'd have thunk it.

And dont forget turnips the size of moons

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

casio-digital-watch-b640wb-648-p.jpg

I've only just noticed it over the past few days (I flick between SO'R and PK depending on the topic) but the hourly "beep beep" is very irritating. Doesn't the studio have a (very accurate) wall clock that he can look at?

• Advertisement

Ah no I love the old watch alarm .. really addicted to it at this stage, look forward to it on the hour
    (I know, I should get a life) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

The 11 o'clock beep was especially noticeable this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

serfboard wrote: »
    Yeah it was really loud, had the radio on in the living room and heard it from the kitchen! :)

Yeah it was really loud, had the radio on in the living room and heard it from the kitchen! :)

You really need a bigger house.:rolleyes:

I put it down to two things - there was a moment of silence which the beep filled, and Seán's hand must have been close to the mic.

After it went off he announced that he was going to an ad break. Says I to the radio - "What are you doing that for? It's 11 o'clock. 'Tis time for the news!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

serfboard wrote: »

I've yet to notice it, maybe it's the inverse of one of those teenage buzzing things and only oul lads and wans can hear it ?

I'm happy to see what I'm not just there yet.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've yet to notice it
    I'll guarantee you weren't listening at 11 this morning. You could not have missed it.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've yet to notice it, maybe it's the inverse of one of those teenage buzzing things and only oul lads and wans can hear it ?

I'm happy to see what I'm not just there yet.

How dare you! - I'll have you know I'm a sprightly 35 & holding :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just listening to the repeat. Interesting that when she was going on about the below cost selling of fruit and veg she mentions Tesco (who didn't get involved in the Christmas price war) but not Dunnes (who were one of the main culprits).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

RTÉ asked Paddy O'Gorman to go and interview some people from Mayo so he headed straight for the easiest place to find them. Galway Courthouse. :D

This fellow from the post office is flogging a dead horse - come on it 2014 not 1914

• Advertisement

The first guy on this item about mortgages illustrates exactly why people got into trouble. He said "When I was younger, I should have just paid high rent and bought a brand new car instead of being sensible and getting on the property ladder".
    How is it "sensible" to burden yourself with an unsustainable mortgage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The first guy on this item about mortgages illustrates exactly why people got into trouble. He said "When I was younger, I should have just paid high rent and bought a brand new car instead of being sensible and getting on the property ladder".

Well obviously it wasn't unsustainable at the time..... circumstances change, sometimes drastically, and leave people unable to cope. *

The rearward view from a high horse must be a very good one :rolleyes:

*yes, I know he might have taken out a 110% mortgage while in a flaky job, but tbh he didn't sound like that to me

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well obviously it wasn't unsustainable at the time..... circumstances change, sometimes drastically, and leave people unable to cope. *

The rearward view from a high horse must be a very good one :rolleyes:

*yes, I know he might have taken out a 110% mortgage while in a flaky job, but tbh he didn't sound like that to me

I'm not on a high horse :rolleyes:
    But I get a bit sick of the "rent is dead money" argument, you're not throwing money away, you're paying for a service.
    The tone of his voice was suggesting people who didn't buy were suckers.

I fully agree this "property ladder" line should be banned - every time I hear it I cringe. It's all gearing up again - people never learn :mad:

Folks, stick with buying a HOME

I think he was using "sensible" in an ironic way. He did what was widely perceived at the time as being the sensible thing.

I'm not on a high horse :rolleyes:
    But I get a bit sick of the "rent is dead money" argument, you're not throwing money away, you're paying for a service.
    The tone of his voice was suggesting people who didn't buy were suckers.

I disagree to an extent. Renting long-term in Ireland is a very insecure way of living - there's no long-term security of tenure, you're at the whim of (usually) individual landlords and are in no way guaranteed a secure home for your lifetime, or even the time while your kids are growing up. And that's before you get to the lack of supply of suitable "homes" (as opposed to just houses thrown together to be rented out).

I rented in Germany, where renting is the norm, and it's a whole different ballgame - the apartment block was owned by a pension fund or some such, and once you were in, you were in, you had great security.

That's putting it very simplistically, I know - but I can absolutely understand why people don't see renting as a viable long-term option in Ireland, but it's not to do with the old cliche that "rent is dead money".

Callan57 wrote: »
    I fully agree this "property ladder" line should be banned - every time I hear it I cringe. It's all gearing up again - people never learn :mad:

Yes, but back then when the madness had struck, there were very few who could afford a long-term family HOME from the word go, they were priced in the stratosphere. So you bought what you could afford (at the time, with no knowledge of the future) and hoped that you could trade up in time.

Coupled with what I've just posted about renting, I can't really blame people who went about this in a non-mad way - it was the only option at the time for a lot of not-yet-families.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Callan57 wrote: »

True. But even our government conveniently use the term 'property' when it comes to taxation. Local Property Tax is in fact a Home Tax but that description is too uncomfortable for our government to use :mad:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Yes, but back then when the madness had struck, there were very few who could afford a long-term family HOME from the word go, they were priced in the stratosphere. So you bought what you could afford (at the time, with no knowledge of the future) and hoped that you could trade up in time.

Coupled with what I've just posted about renting, I can't really blame people who went about this in a non-mad way - it was the only option at the time for a lot of not-yet-families.

Agree but why was a HOME deliberately made unaffordable? It was the property tax incentives that made it attractive for speculators with money to invest in multiple houses thus driving up the asking prices for those who just wanted to buy a home & raise their family there.
    I have personal knowledge of towns where every new housing estate had X number of houses earmarked for local business property syndicates before the estates were even built - houses that, of course, were intended for rent allowance renters (yet another state benefit to the section of society who already had access to property tax benefits.)
    This was absolutely nothing but speculation assisted by taxation benefits and anyone could see what it did was drive up the prices for everyone else (most who, of course, did not have access to the same tax exemptions)
    And slowly but surely you can see it gearing up all over again - when I see the like of Jim Power & Dan McLoughlin starting to appear again I just despair. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pat windbag at the trough Cox really annoys me

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement