Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Pat windbag at the trough Cox really annoys me

I'd say Putin is an emotional gibbering wreck after the 'silken one' spoketh! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I'd say Putin is an emotional gibbering wreck after the 'silken one' spoketh! ;)

Vladimir put right off his weetabix I bet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

I don't think I've ever encountered a more obnoxious individual than Alastair Campbell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

There's no need to sedate this guy's horses. Just have him talk around them and they'll fall asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

All those Cajun songs sound exactly the same....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

chinwag wrote: »
    True. But even our government conveniently use the term 'property' when it comes to taxation. Local Property Tax is in fact a Home Tax but that description is too uncomfortable for our government to use :mad:

Or to flip that around, "property tax" is too neutral a description for those who'd prefer "home tax" to whip up a bit of the ol' reflexive populist resentment? After all, it's payable by the owner on rental property, too. (Commercial property is already taxed, albeit on a separate basis.)

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Or to flip that around, "property tax" is too neutral a description for those who'd prefer "home tax" to whip up a bit of the ol' reflexive populist resentment? After all, it's payable by the owner on rental property, too. (Commercial property is already taxed, albeit on a separate basis.)

It's a tax on the property regardless of whether or not it's a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Ex Drug addict: "I love me life now.. And I have a three month baby girl".
    Sean O'rourke: "And are you still with the father".
    Ex Drug addict: "No, no. "
    Sean O'Rourke: "I see."

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Every discussion on the Irish Language is conducted entirely in English. Nuff said!

• Advertisement

They have lorried money into Irish since the foundation of the state & they gave advantage to those who did the Leaving through Irish & grants to gaeltacht areas and still nothing to show for it.
    Maybe it's time to try an alternative approach and ban it completly ... the perverse people we are we'd probably all be speaking it fluently in a few years. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Callan57 wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to try an alternative approach and ban it completly ... the perverse people we are we'd probably all be speaking it fluently in a few years. ;)

LOL, quite possibly. People have been saying it for years but I think the first step is to change the curriculum to a more informal conversational approach.

The problem with Irish is that the Irish we're taught in school is completely different from the gibberish they speak on the likes of TG4. Regional dialects and accents are never taken into account.
    I remember when I was in secondary school, our teacher used to tell us to watch "Feach". I tried watching it a few nights and they may as well have been speaking Swahili for all I could understand of it. I still managed to get a B in Honours Irish for my Leaving though :D

It takes a while for your ear to tune into it, but you soon find yourself recognising words and phrases. You may not always know what the words and phrases mean, but you can at least pick them out as something you did in school and start from there.

I think most spoken Irish, well what you see on TV anyway, these days is from Connacht/Connemara. Ulster can sounds like another language again.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It takes a while for your ear to tune into it, but you soon find yourself recognising words and phrases. You may not always know what the words and phrases mean, but you can at least pick them out as something you did in school and start from there.

I think most spoken Irish, well what you see on TV anyway, these days is from Connacht/Connemara. Ulster can sounds like another language again.

Donegal Irish is incomprehensibe .. but then so is their English :)

I'm sure Brian O'Driscoll gets hugely embarrassed by these sort of tributes.. His father seems to love them though..

• Advertisement

I'm sure Brian O'Driscoll gets hugely embarrassed by these sort of tributes.. His father seems to love them though..

Genuinely deserving of it though. Sad day tomorrow.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Genuinely deserving of it though. Sad day tomorrow.

"Sad day" ... that's a bit OTT surely. He's a young man with a long life ahead of him - bit of perspective please

"Sad day" ... that's a bit OTT surely. He's a young man with a long life ahead of him - bit of perspective please

One of the greatest players of his time and all around nice guy will be playing his last home game for Ireland tomorrow, he deserves the laurels thrown at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

One of the greatest players of his time and all around nice guy will be playing his last home game for Ireland tomorrow, he deserves the laurels thrown at him.

Laurels yes. There is a touch of Funeral Wreath's about much of the coverage though.

"Sad day" ... that's a bit OTT surely.

Nope...just checked. It will be a sad day for rugby fans. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Ulster can sounds like another language again.
    Isn't that the fault of the Scots? Or is Scottish Gaelic the fault of the Ulstercritters?

Quinn is such a feckin slippery snake. "It's a matter for the Fine Gael party".

He seems to have forgotten that his party are in bed with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

This anti-fluoride guy is a spoofer. He can't even cite the journals the research was supposedly published.

Also, I may be wrong, but how could drinking fluoride during pregnancy cause Down's Syndrome? Doesn't an embryo have Down's Syndrome from the very very beginning of pregnancy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

This anti-fluoride guy is a spoofer. He can't even cite the journals the research was supposedly published....
    Keelin Shanley is handling this very well. She is not buying into bad science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Quinn is such a feckin slippery snake. "It's a matter for the Fine Gael party".

The only matter for the Labour party are the ministerial pensions they're busy limping towards. Bit sad when you look back at what were once a bunch of ideologically driven young men (very few women...), even if the ideologies were dodgy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Keelin Shanley is handling this very well. She is not buying into bad science.
    She knows her stuff about Science, I first heard her on the radio years ago on a science programme. Very good presenter.

She knows her stuff about Science, I first heard her on the radio years ago on a science programme. Very good presenter.
    I wasn't aware that she has some form in science matters. That's a good thing. Too often we have people trying to handle issues with a science or technical component, and they are out of their depth.

Pat Kenny (remember him?) was also no pushover for people selling snake oil. His background in chemical engineering stood to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

I wasn't aware that she has some form in science matters. That's a good thing. Too often we have people trying to handle issues with a science or technical component, and they are out of their depth.
    AFAIR she did biochemistry in TCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Think she might have won her charity bet at Cheltenham today. I think that she is a good presenter.

honeybear wrote: »
    Think she might have won her charity bet at Cheltenham today. I think that she is a good presenter.

+1 for Keelin... And her immaculate diction puts Joe Duffy to shame..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

+1 for Keelin... And her immaculate diction puts Joe Duffy to shame..

Hmm. tends to speak through her nose a lot, listen out tomorrow.

Can get a bit wearing after a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Hmm. tends to speak through her nose a lot, listen out tomorrow.

Can get a bit wearing after a while.

I'd rather listen to that than listen to duffy talk through he's arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Pat Kenny (remember him?) was also no pushover for people selling snake oil. His background in chemical engineering stood to him.

I don't know - he has a tendency to be extremely sympathetic towards loons like Ian Plimer, David Bellamy and various other climate change deniers, whilst happily dismissing the findings of the 97% of the world's climate scientists.

RayM wrote: »
    I don't know - he has a tendency to be extremely sympathetic towards loons like Ian Plimer, David Bellamy and various other climate change deniers, whilst happily dismissing the findings of the 97% of the world's climate scientists.

Fair comment. I had forgotten about that particular blind spot that PK has.

The danger with people like Plimer and Bellamy is that they have science credentials, and can use the formulation "as I scientist I can say ...". They don't remind us that their fields are other than climatology.

I suspect that PK wants to believe that climate change is a false alarm, and so is easy prey for the deniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

I really enjoy going to Julie Feeney's shows, she's a brilliant artist, but for her to whinge about people watching her on Youtube is a bit much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paddy is in trouble! Won't get another taxi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

"taxi men to an inordinate degree have thai brides"

FFS RTEs gonna be issueing an apology for that brain fart ! even shanly could see the prob with it

:D:D:D

"taxi men to an inordinate degree have thai brides"

FFS RTEs gonna be issueing an apology for that brain fart ! even shanly could see the prob with it

Paddy made an ass of that one & Keelin doing her best to shut him up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

t'was so mad i think i actually missed some of it.

:D

the list i can recall is all taxi men are grown up children, gamblers, and married to third world women.

• Advertisement

Do is ever come in to the modern thinking that maybe it's up to the travellers to pay for their own houses, like the rest of us have to do after paying for theirs.

Do is ever come in to the modern thinking that maybe it's up to the travellers to pay for their own houses, like the rest of us have to do after paying for theirs.

Now there a revolutionary idea :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Have to say, Keelin Shanley is a terrific stand-in for Sean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Have to say, Keelin Shanley is a terrific stand-in for Sean.

I agree, think she's excellent!

+ here too. Makes you listen and doesn't fade into the background.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sean is in the Carribean for two weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Great two weeks radio from Keelin Shanley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Keelin has a great news magazine show on RTE in the morning (last time I was off she did)

I missed the start and their website is lacking in detail, but what's the discount on electricity and cashback details if you join up with onebigswitch.ie ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

I missed the start and their website is lacking in detail, but what's the discount on electricity and cashback details if you join up with onebigswitch.ie ?

Deal is with Bord Gais 10% reduction on bill over 12 months + 80 Euro back at the end of the year !

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    Deal is with Bord Gais 10% reduction on bill over 12 months + 80 Euro back at the end of the year !

with Direct Debit :( & Electronic billing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement