Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I just think it's mad that people don't want to pay by direct dredit or use electronic billing these days. I know one household who are paying over the odds on all their utilities, purely because they don't want to set up direct debits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Sean: Switch your 11am pips off tomorrow so we know you are reading Boards! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I just think it's mad that people don't want to pay by direct dredit or use electronic billing these days. I know one household who are paying over the odds on all their utilities, purely because they don't want to set up direct debits.
    It is nice to keep the postmen in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Haven't heard 'Today with...' recently, but I listened to a Keelin Shanley discussion, with two guests, on the Russia/Ukraine situation (last Wednesday) on the back of the positivity on this surrounding her performance. I wasn't especially impressed: she was inoffensive, but certainly not well-informed. Did I listen to an unrepresentative interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Haven't heard 'Today with...' recently, but I listened to a Keelin Shanley discussion, with two guests, on the Russia/Ukraine situation (last Wednesday) on the back of the positivity on this surrounding her performance. I wasn't especially impressed: she was inoffensive, but certainly not well-informed. Did I listen to an unrepresentative interview?

I don't think so, I heard her interview with someone (Tim Berners-Lee I think) about the 25th anniversary of the Internet and I thought she was pitching the questions at such a rudimentary level that she got very little of interest out of him. Perhaps a producer told her at some point not to assume too much knowledge on the part of the listener and she's over-compensating?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

ThisRegard wrote: »

Many (me included) do not like giving the utility company control over the timing & amount deducted from their bank account. I know people who ended up overdrawn because a utility put the incorrect amount through on DD and it can take ages to get it sorted or because the DD went through the day before their salary was paid in.

My preference is to get all my bills electronically if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

I don't think so, I heard her interview with someone (Tim Berners-Lee I think) about the 25th anniversary of the Internet and I thought she was pitching the questions at such a rudimentary level that she got very little of interest out of him. Perhaps a producer told her at some point not to assume too much knowledge on the part of the listener and she's over-compensating?

I would agree with that analysis, Ms Shanley is very competent for sure but I heard T least one interview where she seemed to be floundering badly,and my first thought was that PK certainly would never ever get into that situation.

That and to my ear and very nasal delivery would lead me to say that I would find it difficult to take her for two hours every day,maybe a little too polished.

All the above very nitpicky,I fully agree and she is a grade a performer in my opinion, but just have those reservations.

A TD at the weekend and now the Commissioner - this resigning idea could really catch on :)
    .... Wonder what package he has negotiated? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

typical irish, resign rather than admit he was wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

At Least he resigned. Will Shatter do the same?

• Advertisement

Big C wrote: »
    typical irish, resign rather than admit he was wrong

I would say "typical MAN" rather resign than say sorry -

"Sorry seems to be the hardest word" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Callan57 wrote: »
    I would say "typical MAN" rather resign than say sorry -

"Sorry seems to be the hardest word" :)

Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

airuser wrote: »
    At Least he resigned. Will Shatter do the same?

Shatter resign ??? Yeah right , and pigs flying over Leinster House ! This Government's sheer arrogance is personified in Mr Shatter's handling of this whole debacle !

Shatter is in an awful hurry.........sounds like he's dying for a p1ss?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

This is typically Irish. The house is burning down and we are concerned about who knew about it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

withless wrote: »
    This is typically Irish. The house is burning down and we are concerned about who knew about it first.

Sometimes those who knew first are the ones who started the fire!

The cops you mean?

All those retired cops sitting laughing at the radio today. Take their pensions!

Josephine worries me. She thinks Monday was 3 days ago. Methinks I better re-check my property tax bill?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Josephine (is that her name? Thought it was something else!) clearly knows her brief - but I heard her yesterday on PK, and today on SOR - and I don't think I've ever heard anyone do a worse job of trying to explain things.

I know how the system works, and I she's still managing to confuse me :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Josephine (is that her name? Thought it was something else!) clearly knows her brief - but I heard her yesterday on PK, and today on SOR - and I don't think I've ever heard anyone do a worse job of trying to explain things.

I know how the system works, and I she's still managing to confuse me :eek:

Any examples, she seemed clear to me.

Terrible heavy breathing there - someone too close to a mic & maybe a dose of asthma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I reckon Marie Louise cleared that Men's Shed quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I reckon Marie Louise cleared that Men's Shed quick enough.

She was saying that the men wanted to hear a woman's voice.. I'd say after about five minutes they were quickly reminded why they stayed bachelors in the first place..

Have to say I'm sick of all of Fianna Fáil mock "outrage".. All of the policing issues were there during their time, and not necessarily completed unrelated to the nod and wink, jobs for the boys culture that that particular bunch of FF Ministers brought with them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Have to say I'm sick of all of Fianna Fáil mock "outrage".. All of the policing issues were there during their time, and not necessarily completed unrelated to the nod and wink, jobs for the boys culture that that particular bunch of FF Ministers brought with them.

Unfortunately the majority of Irish voters have forgotten that already.

Fianna fail raped and robbed the country, and they'll probably be voted in next election.

Unfortunately the majority of Irish voters have forgotten that already.

Fianna fail raped and robbed the country, and they'll probably be voted in next election.

You know Meehawl,you are probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Quinn wants the women kept indoors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Quinn wants the women kept indoors
    It was a remarkable discussion - particularly for the fact that Quinn was not the most extreme participant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

MLOD talking about set dancing, can you imagine anything more horrible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

MLOD talking about set dancing, can you imagine anything more horrible?

Yes I can. I tuned in at

"And some of those men are great SWINGERS!. They would grip you and just swing. Grip you so firmly you would be swinging up in Castlerea and halfway up the Dublin road"

I turned off then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Dancing on the radio... very Father Ted! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

I can't find a job, waaah.

What are you studying? "film and broadcasting".

My heart bleeds for the poor dear, living at home and unable to bring someone home for a sh@g.

Resignation of Rehab CEO decided at the weekend - announced this morning once the "exit package" had been agreed no doubt. Wonder what price her exit :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Resignation of Rehab CEO decided at the weekend - announced this morning once the "exit package" had been agreed no doubt. Wonder what price her exit :rolleyes:
    My understanding is that she's not "resigning" she's retiring. Subtle difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

My understanding is that she's not "resigning" she's retiring. Subtle difference.

lots of retirings going on lately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

All in the so called public service...all around governance /greed issues.

They are probably isolated cases in fairness !

Does "fas man " still have the Audi 6 ?

Did Fingers get to keep the 1 million "bonus "

Is CRC man still getting the big "Pinsion "

Does County Manager chappie get to keep the proceeds of his house sale ?

Are the county managers still getting 40+ days holls ?

Are the guys who "approved" those fire trap apartments still in jobs.?

Etc...etc....etc....

Yeah....isolated cases .......MWhahahaha !

I sincerely hope people are listening to Stephen Donnelly - really can't believe the banks are starting it all over again. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

dublin commercial property market is getting back to the good aul days again. Rents are heading for greed levels again. We made offer for rent of a commercial premises and were told the landlord would hold out theyd get what they want in a few months time. Residential is already there by the sounds of it

I sincerely hope people are listening to Stephen Donnelly - really can't believe the banks are starting it all over again. :confused:

I've just tuned in and I cant believe that the Real Estate Agents have started their old games again.. the biggest crash in history and nobody has done anything to stop these sliebhíns and their dirty tricks.. And still hiding behind the "well, our client instructed us to do it"... If they stood over that sort of behaviour then they are just as responsible..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

neris wrote: »
    dublin commercial property market is getting back to the good aul days again. Rents are heading for greed levels again. We made offer for rent of a commercial premises and were told the landlord would hold out theyd get what they want in a few months time. Residential is already there by the sounds of it

Rather dumb landlord unless you were offering a huge amount less.

e.g. looking for 60k rent annual and offered 50k, wait three months = 12.5k lost for a potential 10k 'gain'

Some types of commercial property are unlikely to recover for ages too. Modern large floor plate offices in D2/4 might be flying out the door now but small units and older generation offices are not. A lot of first generation office space in converted housing is now being converted *back* to housing even.

making travellers a separate ethnic group will finally make them completly untouchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Will this have the unforseen consequence of legalising every illegal traveller encampment?
    (If distinct ethnicity is recognised by law & ergo becomes a de-facto right).

Thanks Sinn Feinn.

Missus, can I have a look at that giant list of contributions that the Travelling Community have made to Irish society? Because from what I see it's take, take, take..

settled people cause a lot more problems than travellers??????

have 29% of the settled community gone through the prison system?

Why is it always somebody else's fault... It's the State's fault my son committed suicide, It's the State's (and HSA's) that we cant drive out horse and carts on the road like maniacs without tax or insurance, it's the State's fault that I dont have a luxury caravan on a brand new halting site with all facilities for free, It's the state's fault that they dont provide a mobile school to follow us around and teach our children so that they get a good education.

It's about time somebody in the Travelling community took responsibility for the own situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

making travellers a separate ethnic group will finally make them completly untouchable
    I wonder will Sean cover the murder trial of the traveller man from Sligo? No of course not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I'm seething listening to this.

This one on about wanting her 50 grandchildren to have somewhere to live but not having to wait on the housing list is infuriating. Also she wants them to be put in houses that aren't in an estate with settled people.

We've built it into these people that they have a "culture" so they can do what they like and expect everything on a silver platter but feel they shouldn't have to participate in society at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't understand. In what specific way would giving legal recognition to the fact that they fulfill the essential characteristics of a distinct ethnic group make them "untouchable"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I wonder will Sean cover the murder trial of the traveller man from Sligo? No of course not.

Another one that won't be travelling for a while........

NWS_20140325_New_001_31106087_I1.JPG

A 30-year-old man who severely beat a pensioner and left him tied up in his home after a robbery has been found guilty of murder and jailed for life.
    Simon McGinley of Connaughton Road, Sligo had admitted manslaughter but denied murdering 67-year-old Eugene Gillespie at his home in September 2012.
    He also admitted false imprisonment and robbery at his home in Old Market Street, Sligo.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0403/606517-man-gets-life-for-sligo-pensioner-murder/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement