Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

wtf? Ronan Collins at 11am!! What was the point in bringing Sean O'Rourke in for an hour.. ? I dont think RTE thought this one through.. Right now you will hear the sound of everybody in the country (including me) switching their radios over to Pat Kenny..

Sean was in for 2 hours, he started at 9am this BH Monday. No need to oil the tape players in Montrose this time.

I can assure the other poster it was all pre-planned, John Murray did not decide to have a last minute lie in.

Mary Hanafin won't be running for local or European election this time. She would not have got that airtime if she was.

All airtime for politicians who are running in upcoming elections is clocked with records kept. If broadcast media here have a politician who is running for election on air, all other candidates in the relevant constituency must be invited on also or be given suitable right of reply.

This applies to PSB and independent broadcasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

More Music wrote: »
    Mary Hanafin won't be running for local or European election this time. She would not have got that airtime if she was.

Right, but 'Hurler did say "either for Europe or the Dáil" (my emph). Presumably it's not for Europe this time (nominations have closed already, I'm guessing? -- and if not, party selection conventions certainly have), and it's a long time until the next. But this would be a very attractive time to be starting to be "rehabilitating" herself again, for the next Dáil elections. And I think people are right to be pretty queasy about RTE ending up facilitating this, if that's what transpires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

sligojoek wrote: »

Oh yea, the "softening up" process has begun. And sure why wouldn't she agree with Bertie she agreed with him on everything else & was available at the drop of a hat to cheerlead from him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

Callan57 wrote: »
    Oh yea, the "softening up" process has begun. And sure why wouldn't she agree with Bertie she agreed with him on everything else & was available at the drop of a hat to cheerlead from him.

Spot on my friend....however some voters will not forget how these gombeens ripped us out a new one.
    The Bull....De Bert....Cowan.....Ivor......thankfully some voters will not forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Christ, the headline news on the national broadcaster is the fact a manager of a soccer team in another country has been sacked. How about a sense of perspective.

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    Spot on my friend....however some voters will not forget how these gombeens ripped us out a new one.
    The Bull....De Bert....Cowan.....Ivor......thankfully some voters will not forget.

Unfortunately, most won't remember longer than one more election, and this lot will be in the turn after next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Christ, the headline news on the national broadcaster is the fact a manager of a soccer team in another country has been sacked. How about a sense of perspective.

There's little else happening; what irritated me was that they thought it deserved a push notification on the NewsNow app though - it's not breaking news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

MYOB wrote: »
    There's little else happening; what irritated me was that they thought it deserved a push notification on the NewsNow app though - it's not breaking news.

What do you say that?

• Advertisement

What do you say that?

Last night half the news organisations going were insisting it was a done deal already - that is not something deserving of a push notification to smartphone users.

Last night half the news organisations going were insisting it was a done deal already - that is not something deserving of a push notification to smartphone users.

Who decides on that .

Surely it's someone's call, and in my opinion a correct one.

Who decides on that .

Surely it's someone's call, and in my opinion a correct one.

Whereas I consider it a vast abuse, presumably by a United fan. They've not used the push functionality at all before

Whereas I consider it a vast abuse, presumably by a United fan. They've not used the push functionality at all before

Has such a news item occurred before?

If so, where?

Correct me, buddy, but I feel this transcends the usual bullsdust

Usually only ABUs get involved in this stuff.

Not one of them surely:rolleyes:

A manager being sacked? 40 in 12 months.

This is no more special. The world does not revolve around United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The world does not revolve around United.

You would be forgiven for thinking otherwise listening, reading and watching the Irish media the last 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It seems to involve this silly and ridiculous notion that the Irish media have, that the travails of an English Premier League team could have a direct impact on Irish people. I saw a piece on the Six One News where they were talking to members of some Dublin Man U. supporters club. The sight of grown Dubs in their 40's and 50's dressed in their Man U. tops and speaking in the royal "we" really did remind me of the words "get", and "a", and "life".

I like listening to Ivan and Chris on Newstalk Breakfast, but whenever Ivan starts rabbiting on about his beloved Man City, I immediately switch off. I'm damned if I know the direct connection between a Wexford man and a Manchester football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Ivan is a welsh man i think !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I saw a piece on the Six One News where they were talking to members of some Dublin Man U. supporters club. The sight of grown Dubs in their 40's and 50's dressed in their Man U. tops and speaking in the royal "we" really did remind me of the words "get", and "a", and "life".

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Ivan is a welsh man i think !!!

Welched on a few debts anyways if reports is to be believed!

What happened the family farum? Were it repossessed.......were it ****!

I think you just lost the argument right there, my friend

• Advertisement

I think you just lost the argument right there, my friend

Erm.

Just because you are clearly a United fan does not mean the world revolves around a mid-table football club in Lancashire. Managed fired, happens about weekly during the season in the Football League. NOT worthy of using a push notification system that they've never used before on a general news app in a foreign country.

Sean abruptly cuts off Professor Jim Lucey to introduce some vacuous piece about a fashion app. Well done Sean :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Ah he's prob thrown that there wasn't wall to wall condemnation of "megaphone" man

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Sean abruptly cuts off Professor Jim Lucey to introduce some vacuous piece about a fashion app. Well done Sean :rolleyes:

More interesting than agro megaphone teacher man though.

Mezcita wrote: »
    More interesting than agro megaphone teacher man though.

In fairness to Megaphone Man, he was quick to come on the programme.

Megaphone Man for Taoiseach! ;)

In fairness to Megaphone Man, he was quick to come on the programme.

Megaphone Man for Taoiseach! ;)

If his students were listening he better invest in a pair of earmuffs - unless students have changed since my day :)

Erm.

Just because you are clearly a United fan does not mean the world revolves around a mid-table football club in Lancashire. Managed fired, happens about weekly during the season in the Football League. NOT worthy of using a push notification system that they've never used before on a general news app in a foreign country.

Laddie whether I am a Utd fan or no is of little relevance,I'm not as it turns out,however an event that is making headlines all OVER THE WORLD,whether you like it or not IS worthy of a push not.

It's headline news in Australia ,Pacific Rim,Africa,and to a lesser extent the US.

Those are the FACTS my friend.

You equate it with a general managerial sacking,which shows that your argument is poorly thought out and cretinous.

At least have the gumption to admit you got thT argument wrong.

It did seem a very sudden cut. I assume he'd gotten his timings wrong... or else he just had a sudden "jeez, Jim could and will go on like this for hours if he's let!" realization, which certainly seemed to be the case. His "balance" response about the mania vs productive "obsession" was sheer waffle. He might just as well have said "just don't be losing the run of yourself."

What do you think about psychiatric science? I think it would be a very good idea!

If his students were listening he better invest in a pair of earmuffs - unless students have changed since my day :)

Teachers let themselves down big time here.

Fair play to King for calling it as it is.

Think it's time to end these circuses every Easter if the bullies and extremists just use it as a cloak for their publicity.

Galling to think your taxes are used to pay these people.

Think it's time to end these circuses every Easter if the bullies and extremists just use it as a cloak for their publicity.

Eh, what exactly does "end these circuses" mean, exactly? Why am I getting a mental image of jackbooted and baton-wielding "union breakers"?

Aren't employees still free to join a union? Aren't said unions free to hold meetings?

(Of course, the politicians don't have to turn up to speak to them, but look at the flack they get if they don't (as well as the flack they get at them when they do, naturally).)

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Eh, what exactly does "end these circuses" mean, exactly? Why am I getting a mental image of jackbooted and baton-wielding "union breakers"?

Aren't employees still free to join a union? Aren't said unions free to hold meetings?

(Of course, the politicians don't have to turn up to speak to them, but look at the flack they get if they don't (as well as the flack they get at them when they do, naturally).)

No idea why you are getting those mental images,pal,you'll have to sort out that yourself.

The circuses I refer to is the stupid and ignorant events that happen every Easter.

A minister is invited to speak and then is shouted down,bullied,barracked and not allowed to speak.

Bear baiting is one of the 'sports' it is similar to.

Listen to Pat King, what kind of people do what was done to him,and what place have they in today's education process?

Lack of reality here .

Teachers let themselves down big time here.

Fair play to King for calling it as it is.

Galling to think your taxes are used to pay these people.

I agree sick to the teeth of this whingefest every Easter - I know it's a slow time news wise but they get airtime totally out of proportion to either their importance or their perceived greviences.

I agree sick to the teeth of this whingefest every Easter - I know it's a slow time news wise but they get airtime totally out of proportion to either their importance or their perceived greviences.

Well said,Callan,that sums it up perfectly.

Well sinecured and well paid and well educated people using their position to gain publicity.

Talk to these people in the normal course of events of course, but don't act as a coconut shy for their pleasure.

Kenny should put a stop to this bulldust for once and for all.

The taxpayer is getting sick of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Well sinecured
    I think the point they're trying to (badly) make is that they're not.

You equate it with a general managerial sacking,which shows that your argument is poorly thought out and cretinous.

At least have the gumption to admit you got thT argument wrong.

It is.

Are you actually capable of rationalising why its any different to the 40 or so others that have happened this season without resorting to pathetic childish tactics?

It is.

Are you actually capable of rationalising why its any different to the 40 or so others that have happened this season without resorting to pathetic childish tactics?

Was Hughtons sacking top of the news feeds all over the world ?
    Just be honest for once.

I sincerely dislike the way you are trying to personalise the discussion.

Was Hughtons sacking top of the news feeds all over the world ?
    Just be honest for once.

It got as much coverage on RTE except for a push alert. No managerial sacking deserves a push alert, as does no non-breaking news. Something which was already on printed newspapers sports pages is not breaking news anymore.
    I sincerely dislike the way you are trying to personalise the discussion.

Says the person who has fallen on to calling things "cretinous" rather than actually debating... Getting abusive and insulting is a pathetic, childish tactic; as is then crying wolf when its pointed out.

It got as much coverage on RTE except for a push alert. No managerial sacking deserves a push alert, as does no non-breaking news. Something which was already on printed newspapers sports pages is not breaking news anymore.

Says the person who has fallen on to calling things "cretinous" rather than actually debating... Getting abusive and insulting is a pathetic, childish tactic; as is then crying wolf when its pointed out.

It got nowhere near as much coverage on RTE or worldwide.You know that but won't back down.

That's fair enough but don't get personal.

I sincerely dislike your trying to hang an "abusive and insulting" tag on me .

That is not on.

It got nowhere near as much coverage on RTE or worldwide.You know that but won't back down.

That's fair enough but don't get personal.

I sincerely dislike your trying to hang an "abusive and insulting" tag on me .

That is not on.

Care to explain what else calling something that you disagree with "cretinous" is then?

• Advertisement

Care to explain what else calling something that you disagree with "cretinous" is then?

Because that's what is !

Putting forward an argument like you are pushing when it's obvious to a one eyed chimp that the argument is a beaten docket,can be called nothing else.

"The sacking of the MU manager after a short period equates to the 40 other sackings around the league"

It has no greater significance,isn't that what you said?

And you are still trying to dig yourself out of the hole.

That argument is a beaten docket,buddy.

No point digging deeper.

Because that's what is !

Putting forward an argument like you are pushing when it's obvious to a one eyed chimp that the argument is a beaten docket,can be called nothing else.

"The sacking of the MU manager after a short period equates to the 40 other sackings around the league"

It has no greater significance,isn't that what you said?

And you are still trying to dig yourself out of the hole.

That argument is a beaten docket,buddy.

No point digging deeper.

Abusive, insulting and now getting dangerously worked up about it then.

Moyes sacking is of no more significance than any other Premiership or even Football League manager, seeing as in any given year well over a third of them do leave their clubs either by sacking or resigning. You have not made one single argument to the contrary on this, other than getting further and further enraged by the suggestion that its no different; and then you resorted to childish insults.

If you actually have a coherent argument that you can make without screaming, come back to me.

Abusive, insulting and now getting dangerously worked up about it then.

Nope,just putting forward a common sense rebuttal to your post.

Laddie, get real, you got it wrong, we all do .

The mistake is we try to justify the unjustifiable .

:Dthats about it!

Nope,just putting forward a common sense rebuttal to your post.

Laddie, get real, you got it wrong, we all do .

The mistake is we try to justify the unjustifiable .

:Dthats about it!

So I can take that as "no, I can't make a coherent counter argument and instead resort to childish insults when people disagree with me" then? Good.

So I can take that as "no, I can't make a coherent counter argument and instead resort to childish insults when people disagree with me" then? Good.

You can take it a anyway you like, but my point still stands.

And no amount of chaff and bluster can avoid that.

Your argument is not sustained,my friend, facts are against you.

Your argument is not sustained,my friend, facts are against you.

Something you keep stating as fact yet won't even try to justify. Please do.

• Advertisement

Something you keep stating as fact yet won't even try to justify. Please do.

Heh heh I just love these circular arguments,round and round.:D

Listen go back over my posts,buddy, and take your time.

I was reclining in the cot this morning listening to BBC4 Justin Webb and Sarah Montague,playing with my PJ string when an item regarding Led Zeppelin cropped up.

Apparently a lot of old tapes,unpublished stuff, live stuff and different 'takes' on songs were about to be released.

Now I wouldn't know a LZ song if I pissed on one,but I was intrigued as to why this merited a slot on the Today Show.

I understood that although it had no interest to me whatsoever, that, hey, a lot of other people might be interested.

There is an eclectic audience out there.

Great interview with Jimmy Paige and Plant and I was informed and enlightened by the slot.

Plant said of the chances of a live reunion "zero"

So point being what is no news for some is big news for others.

Get out of you straight jacket,my friend and embrace the big picture.

That's what I do:D

Heh heh I just love these circular arguments,round and round.:D

Listen go back over my posts,buddy, and take your time.

I've read the lot of them, unfortunately.

Your argument has been that it was earth-shattering news that required a national broadcaster to put a push alert on their general news service "because". You haven't actually explained why. Are you going to?

A lengthy ramble on Led Zeppelin doesn't explain why either; particularly as it shows you missing the point entirely. Do you know what a push alert on a news app actually is?

I've read the lot of them, unfortunately.

Your argument has been that it was earth-shattering news that required a national broadcaster to put a push alert on their general news service "because". You haven't actually explained why. Are you going to?

A lengthy ramble on Led Zeppelin doesn't explain why either; particularly as it shows you missing the point entirely. Do you know what a push alert on a news app actually is?

Incorrect,my friend,shows you haven't read my posts and are bunged up in a vain attempt to dig yourself out of a hole which you dug for yourself.

Incorrect,my friend,shows you haven't read my posts and are bunged up in a vain attempt to dig yourself out of a hole which you dug for yourself.

Erm. No.

Blackhole time I think; if you aren't going to even try to provide a coherent argument you're really not worth the effort; and I'm not sure its worth the childish insults you're throwing either.

Erm. No.

Blackhole time I think; if you aren't going to even try to provide a coherent argument you're really not worth the effort; and I'm not sure its worth the childish insults you're throwing either.

Laddie, you would gain a lot more credibility if you just admitted that your argument sucks.

Fooling nobody here,my friend, fooling nobody,running out of road buddy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement