Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Just turned over - who is this ranting and raving?

The LORD MAYOR :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Sean O'Rourke. He must be a Garth Brooks fan. Himself and the wife must have tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sean O'Rourke is some donkey - end of.

Sean O'Rourke is the one ranting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Callan57 wrote: »
    Christy Burke "running with the hare & chasing with the hound" comes to mind :rolleyes:

That's the problem when a populist politician who made his reputation arguing for everything secure in the knowledge that he has no power to commit to anything suddenly finds himself in a position of power.

Garret Brukes.

I love these "politicians", who when outside the tent, would be the first demanding action, action & action, and as soon as they get inside the tent they imediatelly opt for the "it's nothing to do with me" line - same old, same old
    I could care less if Gareth plays 1 or 51 gigs - I just find the whole thing hilarious - we're definitely in the silly season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Garret Brukes.

Jesus, could no one pull the Lord Mayor aside and train him how to say Garth Brooks before he goes on national radio?

It really isn't that hard.

I'm more put out by O'Rourke not addressing Lord Mountcharles by his proper title. :D

• Advertisement

That's more like it! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ah Jaysus, a Garret Brukes song. Sean is definitely a fanboy.

Ah Jaysus, a Garret Brukes song. Sean is definitely a fanboy.
    rocking-stickman-smiley-emoticon.gifrocking-stickman-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I noticed every time Christy Bourke tried to say the promoters had some responsibility, Sean shouted him down Joe Duffy style. I wonder has it anything to do with the amount of advertising RTE get from Aitkens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

jaysis, can you imagine the fallout, if a concert "The Boss" was to be cancelled, would Rachel English be able to hold it together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Paddy must have a barring order from the social welfare offices. Now they have him hounding muslims

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//Mod

We've just deleted a few posts on the discussion on the value (or lack there off) politicians etc. Please stick to the topic of the thread going forward.

//Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We know what side Sean is on in the whole Brooks saga anyway. A big contrast between how Newstalk just handled it with Derval O'Rourke and this joke with Jim Carroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

How on earth would Garth Brooks playing Croke Park help get more kids from the area to go to university? He's really struggling for arguments here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Garth: Goodnight Iceland, there will be no encore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

sean not taking any guff off this one.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I thought Sean O'Rourke was really over the top with that Muslim doctor....

"But some people lose one child and for them it's hugely traumatic, was it not absolutely DEVASTATING when you lost four of your relations"..

Like something Joe Duffy would come out with.... And then followed up with.

"do you ever worry that when you're operating on somebody that you will have a flashback that will affect your performance"...

What did he expect him to say... "Yeah, I've had a few slipups but I cant mention them in case the insurance company are listening"..

Jim Power.... Why do RTE keep giving this guy air time? He STILL does not have any credibility... He should have just left economics, in the same way that an air traffic controller never works in that job again if they have been found to be responsible for a plane crash..

Jim Power.... Why do RTE keep giving this guy air time? He STILL does not have any credibility... He should have just left economics, in the same way that an air traffic controller never works in that job again if they have been found to be responsible for a plane crash..

A bit harsh but Jim certainly should be prefixed by one of those "Health Warnings" SOR would prefix the tallys with during election counts. :o

Newton Emerson... I'm guessing he's not a taig..

Conor Brophy is a smart lad... Always impressed with his reports..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Newton Emerson... I'm guessing he's not a taig..

Satarist from the past, now a "normal" journo:

http://www.portadownnews.com/finalnotice.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Poor ould Garth all the same.

The chap doesn't know whether he's coming or going.

I'm a bit like that myself sometimes.

Hanafin... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Good Lord is that the Hanafin wan again? :mad:

• Advertisement

I think the day of a Cabinet reshuffle is when all of the Government TDs let the mask slip and you can actually see that they are all in it for the career, not necessarily for the people who elected them...

Mary Hanafin is sickening.. She is a politician again, and RTE should not be bringing her back on these panel shows to subtly talk herself up before her electorate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The "Today" programme regularly features politicians (and so it should, as a current affairs programme). Mary Hanafin was there as one of two former ministers who have been through the experience of a cabinet re-shuffle. What she had to say was pertinent to today's big story. She described how Taoisigh deal with cabinet hopefuls, and that is something that I have not heard spelled out in any detail before.

I think it was appropriate to have her there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Expunge

All well and good. How about extending an invitation to an ex-cabinet minister who's been through that experience but who is not longer in politics. There are quite a few from the same cabinet Ms. Hanafin served in who would fit the bill. No?

The "Today" programme regularly features politicians (and so it should, as a current affairs programme). Mary Hanafin was there as one of two former ministers who have been through the experience of a cabinet re-shuffle. What she had to say was pertinent to today's big story. She described how Taoisigh deal with cabinet hopefuls, and that is something that I have not heard spelled out in any detail before.

I think it was appropriate to have her there.

You must not be listening closely - I have heard all her "anecdotes" many times on various programmes on radio & tv.
    She is a local councellor, clearly itching to get back to the Dail, and IMO it is grossly unfair to her constituency colleagues that she is given so much unwarranted airtime.
    Apart from annoying me she added nothing new to this mornings prog.

So should a current affairs programme have a policy of excluding people who are active in politics?

Kathleen Lynch being mooted as the next Minister for Education :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

So should a current affairs programme have a policy of excluding people who are active in politics?

Perhaps only those who have been proven to be grossly inept from their previous time in power, unless its for the sole purpose of filletting them on their ineptitude.

Having said that, in this specific case she is an elected representative and does have some prior experience in the machinations of the Dáil cabinet and it's not completely unwarranted for her to be on the national airwaves, however galling it might be to some.

Bodyguards :rolleyes:

O'Gorman and O'Connell - teaming up together as joint pedlars of misery. Should be fun.

• Advertisement

You are neither listening or reading obviously ... what I object to is the SAME individual being given disproportionate airtime - way in excess of her constituency rivals or anyone else in a similar position.

You are neither listening or reading obviously ... what I object to is the SAME individual being given disproportionate airtime - way in excess of her constituency rivals or anyone else in a similar position.
    That's akin to saying that if I listened more to you, I would inevitably agree with you.

No.

A radio programme needs people who have relevant things to say, who have the ability to say those things clearly, and who are available at the appropriate time. In addition, it should have a range of points of view represented and (because it's radio, not TV) distinctive voices so we can figure who is speaking.

Mary Hanafin ticks a lot of the boxes (in relation to some issues, all of them) so she is suited for programmes like Today with SO'R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

A radio programme needs people who have relevant things to say, who have the ability to say those things clearly, and who are available at the appropriate time.
    Yep. A former TD and former Minister who lives close to Montrose. That oughta do it.

I'd add who are interested as well to your list. There might be other former Ministers who are not interested. Mary, who is back in politics again clearly is.

The point about balance is also relevant. They had both Nora Owen and Mary Hanafin on.

Which former Fianna Failer minister would be acceptable to you? Mary O'Rourke? Mary Coughlan? Or, to go non-Fianna Fail, Mary Harney? (I'm running out of Marys now :))

serfboard wrote: »
    Which former Fianna Failer minister would be acceptable to you? Mary O'Rourke? Mary Coughlan? Or, to go non-Fianna Fail, Mary Harney? (I'm running out of Marys now :))

Mary Geoghegan Quinn? ;)

Although, she's far too busy these days. Most of her time is taken up with collecting pensions.

That's akin to saying that if I listened more to you, I would inevitably agree with you.

No.

A radio programme needs people who have relevant things to say, who have the ability to say those things clearly, and who are available at the appropriate time. In addition, it should have a range of points of view represented and (because it's radio, not TV) distinctive voices so we can figure who is speaking.

Mary Hanafin ticks a lot of the boxes (in relation to some issues, all of them) so she is suited for programmes like Today with SO'R.

OH absolutely ... and noone better than Hanafin to represent her own point of view :p

serfboard wrote: »
    I'd add who are interested as well to your list. There might be other former Ministers who are not interested. Mary, who is back in politics again clearly is.
    Which former Fianna Failer minister would be acceptable to you? ...
    There are a few former ministers who I imagine are quite unavailable. I suspect the list of the unavailable includes Bertie Ahern, Brian Cowen, Noel Dempsey, Dermot Ahern, Mary Coghlan, Martin Cullen, Dick Roche and some others whose names escape me at the moment.

But I did hear Pat Carey's voice recently.

• Advertisement

OH absolutely ... and noone better than Hanafin to represent her own point of view :p
    Which is what is expected of participants in studio discussions. When Fergus Finlay is on, he represents his point of view; when we hear Fionnan Sheahan, we expect to hear Fionnan Sheahan's point of view.

Which is what is expected of participants in studio discussions. When Fergus Finlay is on, he represents his point of view; when we hear Fionnan Sheahan, we expect to hear Fionnan Sheahan's point of view.

We also expect diversity of opinion not the same old insider guff from the same old hasbeens
    BTW being convenient to RTE is a nonsense - RTE is supposed to be the NATIONAL broadcaster not the Dublin southside local radio.

The programme has quite a few regular contributors. Only a few of them attract the ire of participants in this forum. Why should Mary Hanafin regularly be selected for opprobrium when Fionnan Sheahan rarely (if ever) is?

The programme has quite a few regular contributors. Only a few of them attract the ire of participants in this forum. Why should Mary Hanafin regularly be selected for opprobrium when Fionnan Sheahan rarely (if ever) is?
    Because she has a brass neck, five pensions, no accountability for mistakes made etc

Fionnan Sheahan is a political correspondent, he gets paid by a private company and is not elected nor paid for by the public purse... I'm not a big fan of his cynical, smart ar$e, dour brand of reporting but tbh this does not make him unique amongst the political correspondents.. who all report in a similar manner.

Mary Hanafin was recently elected to the local council, having previously said that she was retired. She ducked out of the tough election, took her 140k a year until the storm blew over... She should not have been given air time with Marian Finucane when she knew herself that she was going to run in the local elections... She was elected, and should not be contributing to panel shows unless there is somebody there to represent the opposition party.

RTE brought her on this morning as if she was an independent, retired person with no agenda... and of course Mary cant help but respond to every question with some anecdote about what a great person she is... no doubt with a view to getting herself re-elected to the big house again...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement