Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Fergus Finlay on talking about children coming to school without breakfast and having to provide breakfast clubs. Well maybe he should have a chat to his mates in the Labour party about that. When their water tax hits us in a couple of months there'll be even more children in the queue at breakfast clubs. He does a lot of good through Bernardos but I hate the way interviewers always forget that he is also the elder statesman of the Labour Party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

touts wrote: »
    Fergus Finlay on talking about children coming to school without breakfast and having to provide breakfast clubs. Well maybe he should have a chat to his mates in the Labour party about that. When their water tax hits us in a couple of months there'll be even more children in the queue at breakfast clubs. He does a lot of good through Bernardos but I hate the way interviewers always forget that he is also the elder statesman of the Labour Party.

It's like that Fine Gael TD Brendan Griffin making a big deal about doing his fancy ice bucket challenge, when a few months ago, he was part of a political party who were taking medical cards away from MND patients. Absolute hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The system forces people in to prostitution?... The state puts them up and gives them a few quid.. We're a country who are now having to emigrate all of our young but still put a roof over these people's head, a damned sight more than their own country did..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Two doctors with different views on concussion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Disappointed that Sean didnt read out the question I texted in..
    "Why did you get shot of the red lad?"

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lteegan

You're not a refugee, you're an asylum seeker on the game. If the government establish that you are genuinely fleeing persecution, then you're classed as a refugee.

Pity it takes so long for the state to decide on applications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Many victims of crime don't want a face-to-face with an unrepentant career criminal. Get this crazy old hippie off the radio.

The church used to attract bleeding heart nutjob Marxists like her years ago, now it's quangos and NGO's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Many victims of crime don't want a face-to-face with an unrepentant career criminal. Get this crazy old hippie off the radio.

The church used to attract bleeding heart nutjob Marxists like her years ago, now it's quangos and NGO's.

I imagine there are lots of criminals who would "get off" on this kind of an encounter with their victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Listening to Aodhan O'Riordan there, the man sounds so indecisive, it probably takes him an hour every morning to choose which socks to wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Oh sweet baby jesus, what are they doing to that beautiful piece of music! :eek:

• Advertisement

Listening to Aodhan O'Riordan there, the man sounds so indecisive, it probably takes him an hour every morning to choose which socks to wear.

He really should have done some prep. before going on the show - sounded pathetic really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Callan57 wrote: »
    I imagine there are lots of criminals who would "get off" on this kind of an encounter with their victim.

Absolutely!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

How does Mary Hanifan get so much air time on RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Pat Rabitte "mossoging" the figures in a desperate linguistic attempt to climb further up his own orse :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Roger_007 wrote: »
    How does Mary Hanifan get so much air time on RTE?

Because RTE is the PR wing of Fianna fail!

I feel for this woman but can't help feeling she's a bit naive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I feel for this woman but can't help feeling she's a bit naive
    I'd imagine a lot of her naivety would be gone after what happened to her.

I'd imagine a lot of her naivety would be gone after what happened to her.

I was referring to her assumption that a determined suicidal driver could somehow magically be stopped

I was referring to her assumption that a determined suicidal driver could somehow magically be stopped
    Fair enough. Really anything that should be done should be before a suicidal person gets into a car.

• Advertisement

You have to kinda feel for Michaél Martin - Hanafin with a knife at his back & as usual she has total amnesia regarding her own responsibility in the cabinet that destroyed this country. Ah yes, sure that's all ancient history for someone with multiple state guaranteed pensions. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Someone should tell Howlin that "reform" does not equal chief apologist for the whole public service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

You have to kinda feel for Michaél Martin - Hanafin with a knife at his back & as usual she has total amnesia regarding her own responsibility in the cabinet that destroyed this country. Ah yes, sure that's all ancient history for someone with multiple state guaranteed pensions. :rolleyes:

Really?

Was Michael martin not sitting at the cabinet table with her?

Both are traitors in my eyes and equally culpable for the mess the country is in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I worked so soooooo hard to not go into government with FF and trouser a massive ministerial wage.

yeah right.

FFS.

EDIT.

ya know this is why hundreds of thousands watch "reeling in the years" , caus this guys reimaging the past as he goes along !

Really?

Was Michael martin not sitting at the cabinet table with her?

Both are traitors in my eyes and equally culpable for the mess the country is in!

You perhaps missed my :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That weapon Breda O'Brien on now.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »

To my surprise I find myself in agreement with her this morning - I'm not at all convinced we should be experimenting with future children in this fashion & I have an instinctive suspicion of those who claim that all is perfect and there will be absolutely no problems with these arrangement - there is absolutely no way they can know what future problems these children will have to deal with.

But I have to admit I simply do not understand this obsession some people have with having a child, I am of the view that well & good if it happens but my entire life is not dependent or revolving around producing a child at any cost. I accept I'm probably a bit odd in that regard.

be experimenting with future children in this fashion & I have an instinctive suspicion of those who claim that all is perfect and there will be absolutely no problems with these arrangement - there is absolutely no way they can know what future problems these children will have to deal with.

There's no experimentation as such, and the future problems of any kid is unknown.

The desire to have a child can over ride every other emotion and thought for some people, it's just a natural desire.

There's no experimentation as such, and the future problems of any kid is unknown.

The desire to have a child can over ride every other emotion and thought for some people, it's just a natural desire.

IMO there is experimentation in that nobody has any idea how children born via surrogacy will deal with this element of their birth. Most mothers have bonded with their child by the time of it's birth & I have to wonder why nature would cause this bonding in advance of birth & what influence it's absence has on a child's future. I just think there are a lot of possibilities for a lot of future pain.

As with our own national experiment with adoption - nobody in the 1930/40 or 50s would have foreseen the enormous lifelong pain inflicted on birth mothers & on their children by what was considered to be in the best interests of both mother and child.

Forced adoption can't be compared to adoption, never mind surrogacy.

Surrogacy isn't just an idea that hasn't been tried yet, I think the first official surrogacy contract was drawn up some time in the 80s. God knows how many informal agreements existed before or since.

There's plenty of people to ask.
    I have to wonder why nature would cause this bonding in advance of birth & what influence it's absence has on a child's future.

So you think children adopted can't be happy and will have problematic futures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

• Advertisement

Forced adoption can't be compared to adoption, never mind surrogacy.

Surrogacy isn't just an idea that hasn't been tried yet, I think the first official surrogacy contract was drawn up some time in the 80s. God knows how many informal agreements existed before or since.

There's plenty of people to ask.

So you think children adopted can't be happy and will have problematic futures?

You need to reread my post - nowhere did I say "children adopted can't be happy" ... that's just plain silly. But almost every day on liveline we have adopted children desperate to find their natural parents. IMO it is more than likely that a child born to a surrogate will in the future want to find his/her birth mother.

Also, define forced .... I really do not think that a woman opting to carry a child for a stranger because she desperately needs the money is making a decision of her own free will. Coercion isn't always physical as we know & economic or family realities can bring subtle coercion.

How long do you think it will be 'till afluent women who don't want to undergo the physical demands of pregnancy & childbirth will be opting for a surrogate ... science fiction? I wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lteegan

I'm just listening back now. I find her so annoying that even if I agree with her points (which is rare) II'm turned against her due to her preachy patronising attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You need to reread my post - nowhere did I say "children adopted can't be happy" ... that's just plain silly. But almost every day on liveline we have adopted children desperate to find their natural parents. IMO it is more than likely that a child born to a surrogate will in the future want to find his/her birth mother.

Also, define forced .... I really do not think that a woman opting to carry a child for a stranger because she desperately needs the money is making a decision of her own free will. Coercion isn't always physical as we know & economic or family realities can bring subtle coercion.

How long do you think it will be 'till afluent women who don't want to undergo the physical demands of pregnancy & childbirth will be opting for a surrogate ... science fiction? I wonder!

I think the point the woman was making that surrogacy will always happen when you have infertile couples. So let's make it legal, safe and relegated here in Ireland because it's never going to go away.

You need to reread my post - nowhere did I say "children adopted can't be happy" ... that's just plain silly.

Not directly, but you said "I have to wonder why nature would cause this bonding in advance of birth & what influence it's absence has on a child's future.". It's also not there in the case of adoptions.

Not directly, but you said "I have to wonder why nature would cause this bonding in advance of birth & what influence it's absence has on a child's future.". It's also not there in the case of adoptions.

I was referring to when the lady said the surrogate mother had absolutely no feeling whatsoever for the child she was carrying for 9 months & that she would have no qualms whatever about handing it over - this I find difficult to believe.

You may well be right but I don't share your conviction that there won't be negative consequences in the future for either the child or the birth mother - it just does not sit right with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

I thought she was a teacher? So should she not be teaching?

Wonder who much to this drinking was done at home before these kids went out at all??????

Dopped off by "very worried looking parents" - clearly they were not worried enough to pack their child off home to bed. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

None of the home schoolers got to go out on the piss last night , they're really deprived !

I wasn't allowed to go out the night of my Junior Cert. These kids are minors, are their parents in control or are they in control?

I wasn't allowed to go out the night of my Junior Cert. These kids are minors, are their parents in control or are they in control?

Neither was I & I wasn't "home scooled" either but then my parents didn't feel a need to be my best friend either - they were quite happy to be my parents & accept that as a responsibility.

• Advertisement

One of my pet peeves is people, usually Irish, calling Westminster West-minister! :mad:

I went to the cinema for my Inter Cert night out, followed by late night bowling. Pretty wild in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Some parents try to be friends first, then parents. Bad idea when it comes to unsupervised alcohol access. In a few years I'm not averse to letting my daughter try beer *in my presence* and probably only a few mouthfuls to begin with. And that would only be to dispel the mystique that might be associated with it.
    I went to the cinema for my Inter Cert night out, followed by late night bowling. Pretty wild in fairness.

Same here. Myself and a mate blagged into Rambo ("Of course we're 18", we said, in squeaky man-child voices, to the lady in the ticket booth), then were home by 8pm or so.

Women like this and their whole "energy" rubbish are the modern version of the snakeoil salesmen preying on vulnerable people. I'd say Sean will have stern words for the researcher who let them in.

Sheep dog trials on the radio LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Haha someone just texted in after that interview with retiring judge Barry White: "Barry White saved my life and got me back with my ex-wife" and Sean read it out!:D

Haha someone just texted in after that interview with retiring judge Barry White: "Barry White saved my life and got me back with my ex-wife" and Sean read it out!:D

I don't think Sean actually realized it was a joke. He read it out completely dead pan with just the slight hint of confusion in his voice towards the end as he clearly wondered how a judge could save a man's life and get him back with his ex wife. :D

After the interview with Judge Barry White SOR was given texts to read out... One was "Barry White saved my life, got me back with my ex-wife"

He read it out dead pan, not the tiniest hint of irony!! LOL!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

are they given the option to go home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

touts wrote: »
    I don't think Sean actually realized it was a joke.D

Pretty sure he didn't. Reminds of PK's legendary Gavin Henson incident http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3xFxaVucmE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement