Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is anyone else really sick of the way that shows like SO'R, PK, News at One etc spend the days and hours before elections/referendums/budgets obsessively guessing what will or might happen or not happen?

I've noticed it more and more in recent years, especially in the time between the closing of polls and the announcements of the results in elections - the amount of man hours invested in number-crunching and analysing and guessing what might happen (often wrongly) is mind-boggling. Why not just wait for the fecking result :confused:

All I've heard yesterday and this morning so far is guessing at what will be announced in the budget this afternoon. At 11.45 there's going to be the final guessing game (before the News at One, obviously, when there'll be more updated guessing) with Brian Whatshisname. (Who's never been wrong? O rly???)

It'll be announced at 2.15pm lads, WHY NOT JUST WAIT FOR THE REAL THING.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is anyone else really sick of the way that shows like SO'R, PK, News at One etc spend the days and hours before elections/referendums/budgets obsessively guessing what will or might happen or not happen?
    If it was not covered you would have posters on here saying "The Budget is today and they never even mentioned it" or if they did just mention it you'd have "The most important day of the year financially for the Irish public and they only gave it five minutes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

serfboard wrote: »
    If it was not covered you would have posters on here saying "The Budget is today and they never even mentioned it" or if they did just mention it you'd have "The most important day of the year financially for the Irish public and they only gave it five minutes".

This is true :D

I'm not arguing for NO coverage, just against the obsessive guessing and estimating in the absence of any actual knowledge whatsoever - what does it achieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Our welfare and justice system at work. Young lad up for dealing drugs going to plead guilty to get it over with so he can go home to smoke hash. No problem outlining the various offences he commits while drunk and laughing about them. If they had sent him to prison on his first offence and he spent a few months breaking rocks with a sledge hammer during the day and sleeping in a bare cell with 8 or 10 others at night would it really have ****ed him up any more than the liberal system he clearly has no fear of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I've noticed it more and more in recent years, especially in the time between the closing of polls and the announcements of the results in elections - the amount of man hours invested in number-crunching and analysing and guessing what might happen (often wrongly) is mind-boggling. Why not just wait for the fecking result :confused:

All I've heard yesterday and this morning so far is guessing at what will be announced in the budget this afternoon. At 11.45 there's going to be the final guessing game (before the News at One, obviously, when there'll be more updated guessing) with Brian Whatshisname. (Who's never been wrong? O rly???)

:mad::mad::mad:

Its tedious at this stage but someone in teh government is unfortunatly feeding crumbs of info to the journos who then get the hopes of the nation up/down for whats going to happen. theyd nearly be better off just putting the budget in a press release and letting the journos do what they really want and break the bad news to the public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Most of the details have been leaked already, seems a bit pointless having a big budget speech now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

wtf is the ring thing? Only listening to the repeat now and I'm totally lost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Listening to Joan Burton earlier and these two now, I can't help wondering how much their spin doctors must look forward to budget day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This guy on about smoking can't be serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

He's looking for an allowance for a new phone?

"What have politicians got against older people " sez John. John, pensioners have been the most protected group in all the recent budgets.

With callers like this ministers earn every cent of their salary.

jaysus this aul lad doesnt understand economics. Living in cloud cuckoo land

a random rant about everything in general from John..

What is it with Johns from Cork and phone in shows ?

• Advertisement

that wasnt the worst budget yesterday but it had been ramped up in the media that there was buckets of cash for the govt to throw around and people themselves got ideas in their own heads that the budget would look after them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

neris wrote: »
    jaysus this aul lad doesnt understand economics. Living in cloud cuckoo land

He sounded like some who couldn't believe he got on the radio & is determined to get his rant in while spouting a load of waffle. Can't imagine there are many pensioners who would prefer to get nothing rather than getting 25% of Xmas bonus

wonder would sean let me on to give out to the minister for giving the €5 in child benefit & the xmas bonus

This guy should take up his problem with his wife or his solicitor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

"Additionality" seems to be the word of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭endas donkey

The sheer arrogance and ignorance of Noonan is mindblowing and howlin isn't much better. organise and pissup in a brewery comes to mind evrytime these clowns open their mouths.

howlin hasnt heard any objection to the creation of irish water? must have been planning his budget since last year in abunker without contact with reality

The call screeners arent doing much of a job today... Every person with a non budget related gripe is getting through the net... There'll probably be somebody on next giving out about the first half performance in the match..

The sheer arrogance and ignorance of Noonan is mindblowing and howlin isn't much better. organise and pissup in a brewery comes to mind evrytime these clowns open their mouths.

I take it you haven't taken notice of the economy and states finances in the last 5 years ?

The call screeners arent doing much of a job today... Every person with a non budget related gripe is getting through the net... There'll probably be somebody on next giving out about the first half performance in the match..

be a bloke called Eamonn

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I take it you haven't taken notice of the economy and states finances in the last 5 years ?

we have a comedian here, not a very good one either

we have a comedian here, not a very good one either

A response that's par for the course when it comes to someone like yourself facing the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Brendan Howlin has said that he heard no objection to the setting up of IW. Has that man been in exile for the last 18 months or has he totally lost touch with what is going on.

a delude comedian at that.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

O'Rourke just a little too keen to cut off callers causing discomfort to the 2 wafflers.
    I wonder was their a government spin doctor in the room drawing his finger across his neck mouthing 'cut' :D

• Advertisement

I would say it was more because they were just waffling as you say, without any coherent point. No point having them rabbit on.

we have another waffler on now in the shape of Naomi Klein

I would say it was more because they were just waffling as you say, without any coherent point. No point having them rabbit on.

Yep, maybe you are right, Noonan and Howlin dispatched to waffle elsewhere.

Calls very badly screened - it's about the BUDGET not a general open line for scatter gun waffling about everything and nothing.
    Most of the calls put on this morning should have been redirected to Joe on the whineline @ 2:45

Klein on about polluters. 15 mins of total bullx*$$t from her. i have reduced my flying by a tenth. Do as i say not as i do is what i see here.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Calls very badly screened - it's about the BUDGET not a general open line for scatter gun waffling about everything and nothing.
    Most of the calls put on this morning should have been redirected to Joe on the whineline @ 2:45

Probably because the budget was one big shimmy, meaning very little to those who don't swallow the spin.

They'll be there alright. And tomorrow, and Friday. And most of next week probably.

yay Long wave has been saved for a while........that will fill an hour on liveline today

I thought he was a bit blunt with the guy who was commenting on tax individualisation (something he (Noonan) was critical of when McCreevy brought it in). A married couple / civil partnership should be allowed divvy up their allowances as they see fit.

• Advertisement

this miscarriage story is real liveline territory but at least sean asks subtle relevant questions and not looking for the tears and misery

Yakuza wrote: »
    I thought he was a bit blunt with the guy who was commenting on tax individualisation (something he (Noonan) was critical of when McCreevy brought it in). A married couple / civil partnership should be allowed divvy up their allowances as they see fit.

But he didn't want to divvy up their allowances - he seemed to want two allowances!

But he didn't want to divvy up their allowances - he seemed to want two allowances!

That's exactly what he wanted, and I agree with him. Prior to 2000, a married couple could transfer tax allowances between them (if one wasn't working, typically because they'd young kids and were looking after them). Now you have to be working to get the allowance, and the benefit of working is completely negated if you have to spend most of what you earn on childcare and commuting costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

"...men literally turning into prunes"

Now that I would like to see!

You can get a great meal for 20 euros.. But it costs a 100 euro to get a translator to order the meal, since I dont speak the language...

Yakuza wrote: »

The callers point was that his ex partner wasn't playing ball. He didn't want to hear that married couples don't get this allowance. He just wanted to let off steam and rightly got no hop.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    this miscarriage story is real liveline territory but at least sean asks subtle relevant questions and not looking for the tears and misery

Misscarriage is a horrible experience for both parents and is not one to be made light of. I thought it was sensitively done.

The callers point was that his ex partner wasn't playing ball. He didn't want to hear that married couples don't get this allowance. He just wanted to let off steam and rightly got no hop.

My post was referring to the stay-at-home dad whose wife couldn't claim his tax credits as he wasn't working, not the guy who wanted some allowance for separated parents and his ex-partner was claiming it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why were they saying what a nice man the criminal thug was, who terrorised a defenseless pensioner in his home?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Why were they saying what a nice man the criminal thug was, who terrorised a defenseless pensioner in his home?

Because they are probably travellers. Anyone who thinks that Frog Ward was a nice man need a hard look at themselves or else haven't a clue what they are on about. The man have 80 convictions against him and shouldn't have been walking the streets. He terrorised man old person around the Galway/Mayo area and this time he went too far and push Nally too far.
    If you enter someones property uninvited and with intent to harm them or take their property then be ready to accept the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He was neither a pensioner nor defenceless. He should never have been acquitted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement