Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

RayM wrote: »
    He was neither a pensioner nor defenceless. He should never have been acquitted.

He should have been given an award to be honest. Them bastards had him terrified in he's own home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He should have been given an award to be honest. Them bastards had him terrified in he's own home!

Being terrified isn't an excuse for shooting someone, beating them up to twenty times with a stick and then shooting them again... when they're trying to get away. He should have been convicted of murder.

I never fail to be surprised by people's idiotic, illogical reactions to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Being terrified isn't an excuse for shooting someone, beating them up to twenty times with a stick and then shooting them again... when they're trying to get away. He should have been convicted of murder.

Tell it to the judge.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So what do you do? Ask him to leave politely. The guy was full of drugs, he was hardly going to be open to a bit of a chat now was he?
    He had 4 bench warrants outstanding, so when P Nally asked him to leave then what reasoning was there to be had with him?
    The guy tried to kill a garda, a man worth reasoning with then?

Ward had been at the house previously and items were missing from Nallys farm, conicidence you may say, but that was used in court. Nally lived in fear.

A judge and 12 others acquitted him, hardly idiotic or illogical now is it?

No defending Ward in this, he had his chance, all 80 of them in fact, he didn't take them, he got his come uppings, good riddance.

The best thing to come out of this means we can defend our houses and not worry about hurting the feelings of unwanted visitors to our houses.

yop wrote: »
    So what do you do? Ask him to leave politely. The guy was full of drugs, he was hardly going to be open to a bit of a chat now was he?
    He had 4 bench warrants outstanding, so when P Nally asked him to leave then what reasoning was there to be had with him?
    The guy tried to kill a garda, a man worth reasoning with then?

Ward had been at the house previously and items were missing from Nallys farm, conicidence you may say, but that was used in court. Nally lived in fear.

A judge and 12 others acquitted him, hardly idiotic or illogical now is it?

No defending Ward in this, he had his chance, all 80 of them in fact, he didn't take them, he got his come uppings, good riddance.

The best thing to come out of this means we can defend our houses and not worry about hurting the feelings of unwanted visitors to our houses.

Don't forget bucky up the lane in the Hi-ace that sped off when he saw Ward was getting his hole handed to him (documented).
    You can be sure he would have entered the fray had he thought Nally could be put down........ and put down he would have been if two less-than-apes started beating on him.

I wonder will Mr Nally have as big a headstone as the God-fearing Catholic Frog Ward?

johnward.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The judicial system disagrees with you.

yop wrote: »
    So what do you do? Ask him to leave politely.

You do know he was actually attempting to leave, having already been shot and beaten (so heavily that part of his skull was exposed), when Nally ran back into his house, reloaded the gun and then fired the fatal shot?

That's the problem I have with Nally's actions. Not the original shooting, not even the beating (as brutal as it was - Nally himself described it as "like hitting a badger or a stone"), but the second shot. There's a difference between self-defence, or defending your property, and chasing a seriously wounded man with the aim of killing him.

You do know he was actually attempting to leave, having already been shot and beaten (so heavily that part of his skull was exposed), when Nally ran back into his house, reloaded the gun and then fired the fatal shot?

That's the problem I have with Nally's actions. Not the original shooting, not even the beating (as brutal as it was - Nally himself described it as "like hitting a badger or a stone"), but the second shot. There's a difference between self-defence, or defending your property, and chasing a seriously wounded man with the aim of killing him.

Scumbags need to stop terrorizing people in there own homes, then they won't have to worry about being shot!

Are you a defence lawyer or something?

Scumbags need to stop terrorizing people in there own homes, then they won't have to worry about being shot!

Are you a defence lawyer or something?

You don't have to be a lawyer to realise that chasing a wounded, unarmed man and then shooting him dead when he's running away from you is wrong.

I get the impression I'm not arguing with rational people here...

I get the impression I'm not arguing with rational people here...

I'm sure the same thought went through Nally's mind regarding Ward but he did not have time to post it on boards.

I suppose if you are sipping on a coffee whilst posting it's is hard to imagine how the spit would thicken in your mouth during physical and life threatening conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The guy was shot in the back running away - it's not acceptable in a civil society. If the farmer was being terrorised, it's the fault of the Gardai and the justice system for not having dealt with it. Two wrongs don't make a right and him killing a man is unjustifiable.

mikom wrote: »
    I'm sure the same thought went through Nally's mind regarding Ward but he did not have time to post it on boards.

I suppose if you are sipping on a coffee whilst posting it's is hard to imagine how the spit would thicken in your mouth during physical and life threatening conflict.

After shooting his victim and then beating him with a stick until his skull was visible, he had time to run back inside to reload his gun, before chasing him and shooting him dead as he was trying to escape. I find it amazing that people can excuse that.

After shooting his victim and then beating him with a stick until his skull was visible, he had time to run back inside to reload his gun, before chasing him and shooting him dead as he was trying to escape. I find it amazing that people can excuse that.

Almost as amazing as people seeing no wrong with scumbags terrorizing innocent people in there own homes.

But then again its easy to be like that if its never happened you or your family!

Its only a pity the guy that got away didn't get a rattle, might make him think twice about robbing people in there own homes!

Almost as amazing as people seeing no wrong with scumbags terrorizing innocent people in there own homes.

But then again its easy to be like that if its never happened you or your family!

Its only a pity the guy that got away didn't get a rattle, might make him think twice about robbing people in there own homes!

Your post is ridiculous and illogical. Has anyone here actually said they see nothing wrong with people being terrorised in their own homes? I simply don't believe that the death penalty should be used as punishment for burglary. I'm not sure how any rational person could possibly think that is equivalent to justifying people being terrorised in their own homes. I suppose this is what always happens when you try to engage in discussion with someone who clearly isn't capable of rational thought.

I haven't even argued that Nally wasn't justified in shooting or even subsequently beating Ward in self-defence. My objection lies with the fact that he wasn't satisfied with severely wounding him, breaking several bones, or defending himself and his property - he wanted the man dead. Whether he was a "scumbag" is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Nobody said this.

The fault of that lies with the Gardai for not helping out the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

...If the farmer was being terrorised, it's the fault of the Gardai and the justice system for not having dealt with it....

Surely it's not. The Gardai didn't put Ward on Nally's lad.

If you commit burglary, terrorise, harass people and subsequently get charged over 80 times your luck is bound to run out. That doesn't even take into account all the times he was never caught or charged.

More Music wrote: »

If you commit burglary, terrorise, harass people and subsequently get charged over 80 times your luck is bound to run out. That doesn't even take into account all the times he was never caught or charged.

Remember when Ward attacked a car with a slash-hook while a woman and two children were inside?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Your post is ridiculous and illogical. Has anyone here actually said they see nothing wrong with people being terrorised in their own homes? I simply don't believe that the death penalty should be used as punishment for burglary. I'm not sure how any rational person could possibly think that is equivalent to justifying people being terrorised in their own homes. I suppose this is what always happens when you try to engage in discussion with someone who clearly isn't capable of rational thought.

I haven't even argued that Nally wasn't justified in shooting or even subsequently beating Ward in self-defence. My objection lies with the fact that he wasn't satisfied with severely wounding him, breaking several bones, or defending himself and his property - he wanted the man dead. Whether he was a "scumbag" is irrelevant.

Is that the response to everyones post?

Court of law has show that what Nally did wasn't ridiculous and illogical and he walks the streets, rightly, a free man.
    Ward had as said above been a parasite on society and no one has sympathy for him, if he wants to live by the sword he will die by it, if it wasn't Nally it was going to be someone else.

P Nally has done this country a service in protecting his home and allowing the rest of us to do the same. Nothing ridiculous or illogical about protecting your home from the scumbags and vermin who think they have a right to do so.

Let us know how you get on when you use logic with anyone who enters your house uninvited and with unwelcome intent, I'll let them decide on the logic of leaving or talking to my double barreled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The guy was shot in the back running away - it's not acceptable in a civil society.[/B]

people like Ward do not follow the rules of living in a civilised society

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If only there was a forum to discuss legal things. Like a Legal Discussion forum or some such...

Moderator: Please leave off the Nally/Ward discussion now and bring the conversation back around to radio. Thanks.

If only there was a forum to discuss legal things. Like a Legal Discussion forum or some such...

Moderator: Please leave off the Nally/Ward discussion now and bring the conversation back around to radio. Thanks.

If Nally and Ward were listening to the radio would that help ;)

I'm kidding, won't continue the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Fantastic interview, best I've heard in ages ... Johnny Rotten just made my weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Callan57 wrote: »
    Fantastic interview, best I've heard in ages ... Johnny Rotten just made my weekend

Same here, was thoroughly enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

"Paul" sounds like he was married to a complete harridan. Poor bloke.
    Just heard "Kate"'s story, Jesus wept.

I know spouse abuse has been around forever, but to hear first-hand accounts of it is a sharp reminder of its viciousness :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nobody said this.

The fault of that lies with the Gardai for not helping out the guy.

Did someone not point out that the man had over 80 convictions?
    If so then that proves otherwise.
    Anyway back on topic.

• Advertisement

MLOD that's me gone :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh God MLOD doing impressions of people with stutters and stammers, how patronising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

SOR just asked BOD was he the only 'white guy' in the holding cell !
    That should go down well.

Noreen Hegarty is rapidly getting as OTT as MLOD - if she isn't careful I may have to add her to my "move the dial" list :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Yellow Cat

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Same here, was thoroughly enjoyable

Professional rebel in my opinion ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Oh God MLOD doing impressions of people with stutters and stammers, how patronising.

Didn't know what you were on about till now. Just listening to the repeat.

I am honestly shocked. That is embarrassing to me the way she is doing it.
    Is it being discussed on the stammering/stuttering forum? (not checked yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Well done to Gordon the jock baker ,putting the other d4 attention seeker in his place ...possibly a signof irish times journalism standards in terminal decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oops69 wrote: »
    Well done to Gordon the jock baker ,putting the other d4 attention seeker in his place ...possibly a signof irish times journalism standards in terminal decline.

Oh I dunno, I think I'd fall on the side of John McKenna, your average sliced pan is full of nothingness.

Can't say I agree with his flippant comment that price doesn't matter to anyone, and everyone can afford artisan bread - he'll live to regret that comment I reckon - but overall I agree fully with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've never understood how pawnbrokers work in reality - if you don't have fifty quid today, what makes you think you'll have 55 or 60 in the next few weeks?

I wonder what percentage of stuff is actually re-bought?

"Have you a man?" ... for the love of the Lord TOG sounds like a sleezy oul fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've never understood how pawnbrokers work in reality - if you don't have fifty quid today, what makes you think you'll have 55 or 60 in the next few weeks?

I wonder what percentage of stuff is actually re-bought?

They are the kind of people who never have money so stuff is never rebought but what they buy falls off the back of a lorry. In reality its called living outside your means.

Interesting positioning of items: People dependent on pawnbrokers followed by item about making a will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh I dunno, I think I'd fall on the side of John McKenna, your average sliced pan is full of nothingness....
    His complaint is that it is full of E-numbers. He had no case, and resorted to rhetoric. He shouldn't have been given airtime to peddle nonsense like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

He overstated his case, however white sliced pan is nutritionally poor in comparison to home made brown bread or even McCambridges brown bread.

His complaint is that it is full of E-numbers. He had no case, and resorted to rhetoric. He shouldn't have been given airtime to peddle nonsense like that.

I don't think he expected to get an argument - like all these claims that organic = healthier.
    I love an occasional cheese & tayto on sliced pan with loads of BUTTER :)

• Advertisement

if your going to build a house or even buy wouldnt asking questions about the area and what the local development plans are be one of the first things youd ask before handing out thousands to buy a house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Oops69 wrote: »

He mustn't have much to worry him if he's getting his knickers in a twist over a sliced pan. If people want to bake their own bread or go to artisan bakers and pay extortionate prices, then let them. If the rest of us want to buy cheap bread for a quick hang sangwich, then feck off and leave us alone, John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

He mustn't have much to worry him if he's getting his knickers in a twist over a sliced pan. If people want to bake their own bread or go to artisan bakers and pay extortionate prices, then let them. If the rest of us want to buy cheap bread for a quick hang sangwich, then feck off and leave us alone, John.

'White and unhealthy' is great - occasionally - but most of us eat too much bread anyway so eating less and marginally more expensive bread from the local bakery is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You can't make a good crisp sandwich with anything other than white sliced bread and a pile of butter.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You can't make a good crisp sandwich with anything other than white sliced bread and a pile of butter.

And you can't make toast without white sliced bread and lashings of BUTTER and heaped spoonfulls of Chivers Marmalade ... oh ye have me starving now ;)

What are they talking about the moment? Sounds like some scam pulled by a charity or support group but the one getting interviewed is waffling

OMG didn't take long for the "entitlement" argument to appear.

Some legacy for Bridget McCole!

Callan57 wrote: »
    "entitlement"

Stealing & Fraud more like it

"Im afraid of saying anything incase I incriminate myself jepordise things"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

It seems to be yet another charity let down by "poor" leadership. You can bet just as with Rehab the people who will suffer most are the people who need the services while the people who suffer least will be those who benefitted from the loose expenses culture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement