Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Hes like a bear with a sore head when theres a doping debate. Very hard for anyone to have a debate/discussion on doping if they dont agree 100% with him. Got the feeling trevor hogan was caught in the middle of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

touts wrote: »
    I know he went through hell to expose what went on in cycling but I can't help thinking Paul Kimmage gets very very very angry with everyone around him every time he speaks on this issue and needs to move on and leave it to other journalists for his own sake.

"Do you read anything Shane?? DO YOU??" He's basically shouting at the others now.

I'm in no way condoning doping in sport and it wouldn't at all surprise me if everything he is saying it true but one of these days he is going to have a stroke in a studio.

My radio was positively hopping around the desk - though either Paul or the radio was going to explode. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

my friend wrote: »
    What date was that please? Would like to review it..
    Yesterday, Wednesday 10th.

Isn't it always the case that when incidents of abuse are reported we get the but "they are ordinary decent people" - this is entirely the point otherwise ordinary decent people can be abusers or bullies when they are in a position of power over weaker people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

touts wrote: »
    I can't help thinking Paul Kimmage gets very very very angry with everyone around him every time he speaks ...

"Do you read anything Shane?? DO YOU??" He's basically shouting at the others now.
    While his courage and tenacity are to be admired, he does have quite an unappealing side to his personality, which I'd guess would result in him being on radio shows a lot less than he should, given what he talks about.

For instance, to say at a Lance Armstrong press conference that "the cancer [of doping] is back", when addressing someone who had cancer, was really crass and horrible, even if he was right about Lance Armstrong all along.

serfboard wrote: »
    While his courage and tenacity are to be admired, he does have quite an unappealing side to his personality, which I'd guess would result in him being on radio shows a lot less than he should, given what he talks about....
    I think it is even simpler: he is a bad radio communicator. Today he didn't listen with sufficient attention to what his interlocutors were saying; he went on too long at times, and he went into aggressive mode too readily. All of these are bad broadcasting behaviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭babaracus

serfboard wrote: »
    While his courage and tenacity are to be admired, he does have quite an unappealing side to his personality, which I'd guess would result in him being on radio shows a lot less than he should, given what he talks about.

For instance, to say at a Lance Armstrong press conference that "the cancer [of doping] is back", when addressing someone who had cancer, was really crass and horrible, even if he was right about Lance Armstrong all along.

I don't think you are correct there. Lance was the one who brought up the cancer quote when he refused to engage with Kimmage at all when he wanted to ask a question. The cancer quote came from something Kimmage wrote before that and Kimmage was right - doping is the cancer in cycling and it was that to which he referred.

You should look at the footage of that press conference. As Kimmage said at the press conference Lance does not own cancer.

In saying that Kimmage should now take a step back from the drugs thing as it seems to be really affecting him which is coming across on all the radio interviews he is giving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

babaracus wrote: »
    I don't think you are correct there. Lance was the one who brought up the cancer quote when he refused to engage with Kimmage at all when he wanted to ask a question. The cancer quote came from something Kimmage wrote before that and Kimmage was right - doping is the cancer in cycling and it was that to which he referred.

You should look at the footage of that press conference. As Kimmage said at the press conference Lance does not own cancer.

In saying that Kimmage should now take a step back from the drugs thing as it seems to be really affecting him which is coming across on all the radio interviews he is giving.

I agree with every point you made there. Kimmage is a brilliant journalist but he needs to know when to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

babaracus wrote: »

I've a lot of respect for Kimmage, but he knew what he was doing with that comparison (and got the reaction he wanted imo)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

There always seems to be an attitude amongst the Irish that it's only the foreigners who cheat. Kimmage is possibly shining a light on an area where a lot of people would prefer him not to. Rugby players are currently the golden boys of Irish sport. They wouldn't like Kimmage digging too deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

There always seems to be an attitude amongst the Irish that it's only the foreigners who cheat. Kimmage is possibly shining a light on an area where a lot of people would prefer him not to. Rugby players are currently the golden boys of Irish sport. They wouldn't like Kimmage digging too deep.

That is true and anyone who denies the presence of doping in rugby, or any competitive sport in which large sums of money are at stake, is probably very naive. However, what exactly is Kimmage highlighting? And how are his efforts going to make any difference? Why does he care? To me he has taken this line of enquiry, or agenda in other words, to keep himself relevant because he seems to have little else to write or talk about. The questions I ask are not rhetorical: what is his objective? He seems to claim that he is concerned about the welfare of junior and senior athletes, but is that seriously realistic? Is he such a conscientious and caring person that he is going to move from sport to sport banging the same drum? Who's next, the GAA? In my opinion Kimmage is stating the obvious and making too much noise in doing so, irrelevant noise.

I know its only a mickey take of a book but years ago one of the Ross OCarroll Kelly books they were talking about the school rugby team taking stuff and getting done for doping. Your man who writes those takes some of it from reality. But in the real world if kids are taking protein and creatine supplements whats to stop them moving on to the strnger illegal stuff. Its a bit like the whole "Weed doesnt get you onto cocaine/heroin debate"

Did that asylum seeker say his wife is also his cousin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

The treatment of homosexuals in Africa is a disgrace and we certainly should grant asylum but the case officers have to probe a claim. We can't have a situation where all you have to do is say "I need asylum because I'm gay" and then in you come. If we do that we might as well start handing out Irish passports from street stalls in Lagos and Cameroon. Cases must be investigated and red flags can be raised in interviews without having to probe their relationship details.

For example the man interviewed had his case investigated and clearly demonstrated that he was a genuine case and was correctly and quickly granted asylum. In contrast the girl who was interviewed gave a very convincing and tragic story. Right up to the point where she said her Aunt spirited her from the hospital and put her on a flight to Ireland from Cameroon and she didn't know where she was going until the plane landed in Ireland. Well there is your red flag right there. There are no direct flights from Cameroon to Ireland. She had to connect somewhere. She therefore had to know what destination she was heading to. If she was so severely injured are we supposed to believe she arrived into Heathrow or Paris or Amsterdam and somehow stumbled around the airport without attracting attention from anyone and fell into a plane heading to Dublin? I would speculate that red flags such as these are why her case is still being investigated. To make it out as some type of Anti-homosexual bias is clearly incorrect and they should have interviewed someone from the immigration service to give balance to the piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

What is the reverence for DIngle in rte all about ?, DIngle is lovely but one gets the impression that RTE consider Dingle and Galway , city of culture as the cultural epicentres of the country.

• Advertisement

Oops69 wrote: »
    What is the reverence for DIngle in rte all about ?, DIngle is lovely but one gets the impression that RTE consider Dingle and Galway , city of culture as the cultural epicentres of the country.

And rightly so :)

Sure everyone knows Limerick is the 2014 City of culture. I understand they even nearly got organized enough to stick up a few posters telling people about it last week but there was a row on the committee about the font to be used.

Joking aside Dingle and Galway are centers of culture because they have people who get up off their arse and make it so. They don't need gatherings or plaques or stuff like that. They just do it and credit to them.

Callan57 wrote: »
    And rightly so :)
    I must make a few large papier mâché heads and bang some drums monotonously and I could become a cultural epicentre as well.

It's all to do with Philip King's sonorously dulcet tones. It exerts a hypnotic effect on the suits in RTE.

It's all to do with Philip King's sonorously dulcet tones. It exerts a hypnotic effect on the suits in RTE.
    He was starting to moan this morning about not having broadband , I wish he didn't have radio waves , let alone broadband !

• Advertisement

Paul Murphy thinks he'll have 20 TDs behind him in the next Dail. My initial reaction is not a hope but if he keeps telling people they can have everything and pay for nothing then 20 might be a low forecast. It'll be chaos though.

He was starting to moan this morning about not having broadband...
    Sean cut him off pretty sharply on that. Proper order: Sean was alert to the misuse of radio access.

Kathy Sheridan is incorrect - it is not a "cultural thing" it is human nature pure and simple a position of power over others brings out the very worst of human nature in otherwise ordinary people.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Kathy Sheridan is incorrect - it is not a "cultural thing" it is human nature pure and simple a position of power over others brings out the very worst of human nature in otherwise ordinary people.

The Stanford Prison Experiment...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Totally agree! Have been in Dingle a few times - massively underwhelmed on
    every occasion! :(

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Totally agree! Have been in Dingle a few times - massively underwhelmed on
    every occasion! :(

You clearly were in the wrong company or maybe you just didn't drink enough. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've studios in Dingle (well, very near Dingle) which would distort things a bit.

A fascinating interview with the retired Garda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Both Sean and Pat going on about the demon drink...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Wasn't expecting this fire fighter to break down like that so quickly.

Not easy to listen to.

Goes to show, even in a job like that, you never get over some things.

I hope he gets all the support he needs at work. All of them in his job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Messiah is one of my all-time favourite musical pieces - I defy MLOD to ruin it on me.

Still think I should turn her off, just in case........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

She was on TV3 last nite and is a regular contributor on the VB program... and a regular contributor to RTE... I really wonder how much value the taxpayer is getting for the 70k she gets for being a Senator... You would think for that money, that you would give the job your full focus..

And dont get me started on a sitting Senator getting involved in judging the Journalist Of The Year competition...

I'm sure Des is delighted to hear this private conversation replayed on the national airwaves...

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt till the end of her piece, but PTSB doesn't require a huge balance to be kept in your account, just that you lodge a certain amount in a quarter period. Anyone earning a half-decent wage would easily make that standard.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'll give her the benefit of the doubt till the end of her piece, but PTSB doesn't require a huge balance to be kept in your account, just that you lodge a certain amount in a quarter period. Anyone earning a half-decent wage would easily make that standard.
    She cleared that hurdle!

She cleared that hurdle!

Barely!

The banks might have to put a switching team & process in place but beyond that it's basically an honor system and they have no incentive to make sure the process works smoothly or the team are remotely competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

She was on TV3 last nite and is a regular contributor on the VB program... and a regular contributor to RTE... I really wonder how much value the taxpayer is getting for the 70k she gets for being a Senator... You would think for that money, that you would give the job your full focus..

To be fair, being a senator is supposed to be a part-time job - that's why they have the various panels/etc. Plus I remember reading that MLOD doesn't get paid to be on RTE (that may have changed though)

dulpit wrote: »
    To be fair...
    Now, there's a novel idea!

• Advertisement

Now, there's a novel idea!

As opposed to your sarcasm, which is not novel at all..

Oliver Dunne giving a sensible normal persons guide to making the Christmas dinner easier to prepare , the madness with quails and 'four and twenty black birds baked in a pie'will follow later this week on the MARION show with either NEvan or one of the BAllymaloe dynasty , guaranteed .

The banking inquiry excuses get into full swing with a boring stuttering Finn whose memory is " fading" for the events , great start.
    I think we'll be despairing even more of our democracy at the end of this .

Valerie Cox's report today was a bit like something for Blue Peter.

Going up in the big tower to see the 'aeroplane all the way from Amsterdam' landing.

Everyone knows what a great job ATC do. But there was an awful lot of back slapping and self congratulation going on here.

It would have been good to hear how they do it and what qualifications are needed. Rather than listen to a reporter having a go at talking to pilots on big aeroplanes.

It just seemed more like a radio version of one of the Magic Door pieces we used to see on Bosco when we were nippers.

Oliver Dunne giving a sensible normal persons guide to making the Christmas dinner easier to prepare , the madness with quails and 'four and twenty black birds baked in a pie'will follow later this week on the MARION show with either NEvan or one of the BAllymaloe dynasty , guaranteed .

My handy tip for every talk radio programme on every radio station everywhere.

Save time and money on your annual 'How to stuff an cook a turkey and talk about sprouts for five minutes slot' by recording it and playing the same thing back every year.

Do the same thing for your 'How to drink sensibly and not to get too pissed at the annual staff party and avoid the hangover and making a complete and utter eejit of yourself slot".

Valerie Cox's report today was a bit like something for Blue Peter.

Going up in the big tower to see the 'aeroplane all the way from Amsterdam' landing.

Everyone knows what a great job ATC do. But there was an awful lot of back slapping and self congratulation going on here.

It would have been good to hear how they do it and what qualifications are needed. Rather than listen to a reporter having a go at talking to pilots on big aeroplanes.

It just seemed more like a radio version of one of the Magic Door pieces we used to see on Bosco when we were nippers.

Id love to have seen that on bosco instead of the poxy feckin zoo everyday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

neris wrote: »
    Id love to have seen that on bosco instead of the poxy feckin zoo everyday

I used to love the ice cream factory one!

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I used to love the ice cream factory one!

There was an ice cream factory?? All i ever saw was the zoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

This is very tabloidy of Sean to go into such personal details about the dead woman's life. I think it's wrong.

This is very tabloidy of Sean to go into such personal details about the dead woman's life. I think it's wrong.
    Was just coming on to say that Liveline seems to have come to our airwaves early today :mad:

Can't believe that SO'R is indulging in this while the scene is still being preserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Was just coming on to say that Liveline seems to have come to our airwaves early today :mad:

Can't believe that SO'R is indulging in this while the scene is still being preserved.
    And how does Sean even know this woman was that close to the family? There's always people willing to gossip about tragedies like that, they love acting like they know it all. It shouldn't be encouraged.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement