Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Callan57 wrote: »
    Are you channeling thee ubiquitous pun maker John Drennan :p

Jesus, if he is he needs to be banned from the radio forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Are you channeling thee ubiquitous pun maker John Drennan :p
    Not intentionally - but I do like good metaphors, and sometimes try to create them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

John Drennan reminds me of Johnny Vegas crossed with d'unbelieveables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

In neither capacity should he be considered a disinterested commentator.

Agreed. Presumably in both roles he is attempting to get factual accounts rather than spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Savy woman from Cork interviewed by Paddy O'Gorman this morning - says she 'I don't bother paying car tax, it's just a €60 on the spot fine and works out cheaper for the year'!!

Now, if we had her dealing with the ECB and IMF etc.....

Mind you, she's been jailed and had her licence taken off her for trying the stunt too long. Probably won't stop her driving though......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jeffery Archers whole shtick is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

BarryD wrote: »
    Savy woman from Cork interviewed by Paddy O'Gorman this morning - says she 'I don't bother paying car tax, it's just a €60 on the spot fine and works out cheaper for the year'!!

Now, if we had her dealing with the ECB and IMF etc.....

Mind you, she's been jailed and had her licence taken off her for trying the stunt too long. Probably won't stop her driving though......

That sums up a lot of issues in this country. Most people aren't afraid of a fine but are terrified of going to prison and the damage to their reputation if they don't pay the fine. Some people however welcome a few weeks in prison and almost see it as a holiday. We need to stop jailing people for fines and start community service. Most people would be even more terrified of being seen in public doing community service while people like your one would have paid the fine if she thought she would have had to get up off her arse and do a bit of manual labour scrubbing graffiti or weeding public flower beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

there is ... some justification for state agencies engaging professionals to help them counter dodgy or unduly aggressive journalism.
    My objection to (many) state agencies employing PR companies is that they are already paying press officers. Paying PR companies on top of this is doing it on the double. (Where they don't have press officers and then occassionally pay PR companies I have no issue).

touts wrote: »
    That sums up a lot of issues in this country. Most people aren't afraid of a fine but are terrified of going to prison and the damage to their reputation if they don't pay the fine. Some people however welcome a few weeks in prison and almost see it as a holiday. We need to stop jailing people for fines and start community service. Most people would be even more terrified of being seen in public doing community service while people like your one would have paid the fine if she thought she would have had to get up off her arse and do a bit of manual labour scrubbing graffiti or weeding public flower beds.

True, but it seemed like 'water off a duck's back' for this woman - she wasn't too worried about it one way or the other as far as you could judge from a radio interview. Moral here seems to be break the law, and simply pay the fine if caught - even if you're caught a few times, it's still cheaper.

When you think about it, that's a very similar thought process to many a big business, financial institution, builder, developer etc. Wasn't it Ben Dunne who advised people who had racked up large debts, to simply walk away and go to England to be declared bankrupt and come back to start again and run up new debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

True, but it seemed like 'water off a duck's back' for this woman - she wasn't too worried about it one way or the other as far as you could judge from a radio interview. Moral here seems to be break the law, and simply pay the fine if caught - even if you're caught a few times, it's still cheaper.

When you think about it, that's a very similar thought process to many a big business, financial institution, builder, developer etc. Wasn't it Ben Dunne who advised people who had racked up large debts, to simply walk away and go to England to be declared bankrupt and come back to start again and run up new debts.

Can the guards not impound a car that is untaxed???

• Advertisement

Can the guards not impound a car that is untaxed???

Maybe but how many times would you have to be caught? And if have an old banger, would you really care??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Maybe but how many times would you have to be caught?
    Given that the Traffic Corps uses ANPR, I'm surprised more people aren't caught.

serfboard wrote: »
    Given that the Traffic Corps uses ANPR, I'm surprised more people aren't caught.

In rural Ireland, how often do you meet a Garda car let alone a Traffic Corps Garda car that happens to be monitoring you when they pass nearby???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

To be fair to Ben Dunnes I don't recall him telling anyone to rack up new debts when they return to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I really dislike the rosary clutching IONA institute but every time I hear Ivana Bacik on the radio I can't help thinking they are a necessary buffer against some of the worst excesses of the liberal left.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

I really dislike the rosary clutching IONA institute but every time I hear Ivana Bacik on the radio I can't help thinking they are a necessary buffer against some of the worst excesses of the liberal left.
    ..and they would be...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They are like children

pathetic

They are like children

pathetic

who?-the liberal left or the ones that tell fairy stories from the bible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Isn't "counterweight" the metaphor you're rummaging for? The Plain People (etc) are presumably the one forming the "buffer" between these two (actual and supposed) extremes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Just heard on Playback Sean interviewing Jeffrey Archer. Fair dues to him for
    referring to Archer's less than stellar past - other interviewers always give him
    a free pass on that, except for Kate Egan on Morning Edition a few months ago,
    perhaps. Always sickening to see Mark Cagney almost licking Archer's boots
    whenever he appears on TV3 AM. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

First time I heard Sean getting emotional about that brave lady who got attacked in France.

Justice was served for her, not much consolation but at least she got that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

jimmyw wrote: »
    First time I heard Sean getting emotional about that brave lady who got attacked in France.

Justice was served for her, not much consolation but at least she got that.
    Very moving interview.

Last time I heard Seán getting emotional on radio was when he was reflecting on the importance of his wife's support and friendship for him over the years of his career.

I'm torn between himself and PK a lot, but he's a top guy and he handled that interview wonderfully. I think he expressed what most listeners will have felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The lotto website has gone to sh1te as well

so slow now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The lottery worked fine for 28 years without a problem.

Within months of this new operator taking over, it has crashed twice and the scratchcard game has gone to shíte.

Did they ever hear the phrase, if it ain't broke don't fix it?

I notice that a judge had to slap down another exorbitant claim from the legal profession
    "President of High Court queries ‘comfortable assumptions’ on legal fees"-Irish Times March 3rd
    -they're like petulant rich kids from ivory towers always trying it on safe in the knowledge that nothing can happen to them regardless of how preposterously greedy their claims are

• Advertisement

lochderg wrote: »
    I notice that a judge had to slap down another exorbitant claim from the legal profession
    "President of High Court queries ‘comfortable assumptions’ on legal fees"-Irish Times March 3rd
    -they're like petulant rich kids from ivory towers always trying it on safe in the knowledge that nothing can happen to them regardless of how preposterously greedy their claims are

Why doesn't this count as attenpted extortion? IMO it's in exactly the same league as submitting a false insurance claim.
    Silly, silly me sure I forgot who makes the rules :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Where is MLOD on about? The old Fatima?

ETA - obviously not. St. Michael's Estate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Your one is like the fact finding people who visit Sellafield and have a nice meal in the nice clean visitors canteen and therefore declare that Nuclear power is nice and clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sinead Ryan is very eager....

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Your one is like the fact finding people who visit Sellafield and have a nice meal in the nice clean visitors canteen and therefore declare that Nuclear power is nice and clean.

-or the one who met that Benito Mussolini in the post office and wasn't he a lovely lovely man

• Advertisement

Pierce Doherty very defensive this morning

Pierce Doherty very defensive this morning

Whereas Richie Boucher and David Duffy of BOI & AIB were confident,smug and ebullient having both anounced approx. 1 billion pound profits for the last year.I smell bonuses.

Whereas Richie Boucher and David Duffy of BOI & AIB were confident,smug and ebullient having both anounced approx. 1 billion pound profits for the last year.I smell bonuses.

Creative accounting I'd say - how can AIB go from a loss of 1.7b to a "profit" of 1.1b in 12 months????? No doubt another glossy auditors report with about as much credibility as the glossy reports at the height of the boom. Sorry, but I am seriously cynical about all the miracle turn arounds - to paraphrase the Bert "smoke and daggers" IMO :confused:

Creative accounting I'd say - how can AIB go from a loss of 1.7b to a "profit" of 1.1b in 12 months????? No doubt another glossy auditors report with about as much credibility as the glossy reports at the height of the boom. Sorry, but I am seriously cynical about all the miracle turn arounds - to paraphrase the Bert "smoke and daggers" IMO :confused:

I thought the exact same--institutions on their knees (but similar to the turnaround in U.S. banks) having brought the international financial sector to it's knees and having demanded that the 'ordinairy folk' pay up or 'they'll get what's comin' and having made these astronomical sums are more than happy to evict the 'ordinairy folk' who bailed them out-now that's genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭geosynchronous orbit

Do you understand the accounting concepts of provisioning and write back.
    I would suggest, from this post, that you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I smell bonuses.

i heard on the news earlier the unions are already circling the trough for pay rises for aib staff

You are absolutely correct .... as I said "smoke and daggers" :):)

actually I don't but this is the official line on it -"To restore or increase the value of an asset on a balance sheet after a previous write-off or write-down."- and perhaps you could enlighten us as to the significance/revelation/relevance of this?-it sounds like it's exactly what they've done.....what's your point?

neris wrote: »
    i heard on the news earlier the unions are already circling the trough for pay rises for aib staff

slight difference- unions-comprised mostly people born in this country.brought their kids up here,paid taxes here,schooled here,supportive of all community activity & endeavours ,supportive of Irish economy through their buying powers down through the years now seeking a modest salary increase to counter the years of hardship & stress since 07/08 not forgetting the small matter of paying the price for undiluted,blood curdling,pus-filled greed displayed by bankers and their ilk-whereas(do I really need to?) afore mentioned resplendent,articulate,well educated men demanded and received monarchial salaries,gargantuan bonuses,galactic perks and hu****ingmungus pensions before during and after the 'oops' (yes they didn't get bonuses in the last while but God did some of them try) -let's just see what transpires over the next few months in terms of financial rewards for the nice -because we're worth it-men in suits and those commie-unions.

1. Creative accounting I'd say - it's not creative - it is in line with accounting practices

2. how can AIB go from a loss of 1.7b to a "profit" of 1.1b in 12 months?????
    The 'loss' was defined by the writedown in assets on loans that were deemed to be non=performing by accounting standards. AIB still made 1.8 billion on operations last year but the non-performing loans which they may not have recovered were subtracted from that income and therefore made a paper loss.

3 No doubt another glossy auditors report with about as much credibility as the glossy reports at the height of the boom.
    Auditors reports are not glossy. That is the function of the company that the auditors are reporting on who prepare the annual report. An audit will examine a subset of assets/liabilties and will extrapolate to the rest of the book ... like the polls you read in the papers.. 1000 people asked a question, extrapolated to x% of the people support the government or referendum or whatever.

The post I was referring to and conceeded later on, showed and accepted no knowledge of the concepts explained above. I called it out, simple.

Now if you would like me to carry out the same analysis on the tripe that I read in your subsequent post, I would be delighted to oblige.

• Advertisement

1. Creative accounting I'd say - it's not creative - it is in line with accounting practices

The 'loss' was defined by the writedown in assets on loans that were deemed to be non=performing by accounting standards. AIB still made 1.8 billion on operations last year but the non-performing loans which they may not have recovered were subtracted from that income and therefore made a paper loss.

3 No doubt another glossy auditors report with about as much credibility as the glossy reports at the height of the boom.
    Auditors reports are not glossy. That is the function of the company that the auditors are reporting on who prepare the annual report. An audit will examine a subset of assets/liabilties and will extrapolate to the rest of the book ... like the polls you read in the papers.. 1000 people asked a question, extrapolated to x% of the people support the government or referendum or whatever.

The post I was referring to and conceeded later on, showed and accepted no knowledge of the concepts explained above. I called it out, simple.

Now if you would like me to carry out the same analysis on the tripe that I read in your subsequent post, I would be delighted to oblige.

but if they made 1.8 billion last year the question still remains-how could a company turn it around in such a short time?
    it's your post -analyse away

You just confirmed my opinion ... total load of bull! Their "so-called" profit now is no more real than the illusionary profits during the Bertie/FF era all based on a mirage and slight of hand. We are again in danger of falling for capitalist gobbledygook - if it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck :rolleyes:

but if they made 1.8 billion last year the question still remains-how could a company turn it around in such a short time?
    it's your post -analyse away

Because they have already accounted for the loans that they not expect to get paid back.

say,
    My Income this year: 20,000
    Me Expenses this year:15,000
    Profit: 5000

But I gave my bro a loan of 10,000 last year I wont get back.
    Accounting for this;

I made a loss of 5,000 last year.

Next year;

But my bro managed to give me back 5,000 of the loan he said he could not pay
    Profit 10,000

I went from a loss of 5000 to a profit of 10,000 but what I did from year to year
    did not change..... its just numbers dude.

Of course, I could take my bro to court and seize his house coz he gave it as security for the
    loan and now he will be evicted..

You just confirmed my opinion ... total load of bull! Their "so-called" profit now is no more real than the illusionary profits during the Bertie/FF era all based on a mirage and slight of hand.

Yes

Very hard to listen to Willie O'Dea shedding crocadile tears for people in morgage difficulties, as if he wasn't part of the Government that allowed and encouraged these people into financial armageddon. Brass neck

Because they have already accounted for the loans that they not expect to get paid back.

say,

But I gave my bro a loan of 10,000 last year I wont get back.
    Accounting for this;

I made a loss of 5,000 last year.

Next year;

But my bro managed to give me back 5,000 of the loan he said he could not pay
    Profit 10,000

I went from a loss of 5000 to a profit of 10,000 but what I did from year to year
    did not change..... its just numbers dude.

Of course, I could take my bro to court and seize his house coz he gave it as security for the
    loan and now he will be evicted..
    Thanks for that

we're all ears

Very hard to listen to Willie O'Dea shedding crocadile tears for people in morgage difficulties, as if he wasn't part of the Government that allowed and encouraged these people into financial armageddon. Brass neck

Any word on whether the bould Willie will be paying his water charges???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Who's this woman now?

She sounds EXACTLY like someone I know, who is very successful in business.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

There's nothing worse than management speak. Utter bollocks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement