Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Great to hear Clive James sounding so well.
    There was a great piece with him a while ago on the UK news (C4 I think?), but he sounded way livelier in this segment with Seanie. Let's hope he manages as many of his plans for the next 100 years as possible!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I would question the term 'poor' here.

We don't know their actual finances. Do we?

Might be a bit surprised Micky.

They were in tallaght credit union getting loans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

They were in tallaght credit union getting loans.

Is that fact actually definitive, now could be, but hmmmm tells me nowt definitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Another annual whing fest ... the First Communion extortion :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Limerick would have been in safe hands ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Call me Al wrote: »
    Limerick would have been in safe hands ��

When they came out of the bunker how would they know if Limerick had been hit or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Mullally's mid-Atlantic accent is very grating, not to mention her smugness that she's right about everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mullally's mid-Atlantic accent is very grating, not to mention her smugness that she's right about everything.
    Isn't Ben's mid-atlantic accent equally as grating? Or does the level of grating depend on how much one agrees with their views?

Isn't Ben's mid-atlantic accent equally as grating? Or does the level of grating depend on how much one agrees with their views?

It was her childish sniggering that swung it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It was her childish sniggering that swung it for me.

But you had no problem with Ben's inability to talk about the actual topic?

He was flinging out so many red herrings I'm surprised he didn't get fined for over fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bannasidhe wrote: »

He was flinging out so many red herrings I'm surprised he didn't get fined for over fishing.

thats what the "No" side do in every debate where the good botherers participate - they dont have a justifiable argument

I thought he acquitted himself reasonably well.
    I particularly liked his common sense approach to the existing civil partnership legislation and how it has worked fantastically well for lots of gay relationships - the silent majority as I like to call them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I particularly liked his common sense approach to the existing civil partnership legislation and how it has worked fantastically well for lots of gay relationships - the silent majority as I like to call them.
    But Iona opposed the introduction of civil partnerships, even his own mother. How come he's done an about face on them now?

lazygal wrote: »
    But Iona opposed the introduction of civil partnerships, even his own mother. How come he's done an about face on them now?
    The Catholic Church is against gay marriage, but lots of individual catholics will vote yes.
    I suspect there are also some members of Iona also planing to vote yes on the 22nd.

It's much the same as some gay people saying that they will vote no. When all is said and done it all boils down to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

Oh great, O Gorman talks to poor people in a crap area in Dublin again.

We get it. We should all feel guilty for being "middle class"

it would be nice if Paddy could peruse the financial sectors and probe with some questions to these nice suited gentlemen-
    "do you still feel that your remuneration should be so high after getting it all so horribly wrong?" - "do you still think that we're all in it together?" - "have you ever considered questioning our system what with all this pain around?"
    "do you ever think that the market is skewed in favour of the few?" "what happened to all that 'sharing is caring' 'respect' & 'love', 'we're all equal in God's eyes' stuff that we learned about for 10 years?" "are we dysfunctional as a species?"-

He spoke about things that are covered in the Children and Family Relationships Bill every time he was asked about the Referendum so no - do didn't acquit himself well as he was unable to talk about the actual topic.

As a matter of interest - have you any kind of evidence at all to back up 'civil partnership legislation and how it has worked fantastically well for lots of gay relationships - the silent majority as I like to call them'???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Catholic Church is against gay marriage, but lots of individual catholics will vote yes.
    I suspect there are also some members of Iona also planing to vote yes on the 22nd.

It's much the same as some gay people saying that they will vote no. When all is said and done it all boils down to the individual.

Iona is about 8 people. All of whom opposed civil partnership but now go on about how great it is.

As a matter of interest - have you any kind of evidence at all to back up 'civil partnership legislation and how it has worked fantastically well for lots of gay relationships - the silent majority as I like to call them'???
    I think it's pretty much code for "with this second-class status you are really spoiling us, Mr Ambassador." As such "evidence" would be practically declassé.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

He spoke about things that are covered in the Children and Family Relationships Bill ...
    Act, Bannasidhe, Act. The Children and Family Relationships Act. He spoke about matters that have already been decided.

Act, Bannasidhe, Act. The Children and Family Relationships Act. He spoke about matters that have already been decided.

Did Michael D sign it already?
    Wasn't sure so I erred on the side of caution.
    I stand corrected.

• Advertisement

Did Michael D sign it already?
    Wasn't sure so I erred on the side of caution.
    I stand corrected.

Done and dusted as of 6 April.

He spoke about things that are covered in the Children and Family Relationships Bill every time he was asked about the Referendum so no - do didn't acquit himself well as he was unable to talk about the actual topic.

The uptake of the civil partnership legislation by gay couples is amongst the highest in the EU.
    If it's such an inadequate law for gay people why has it not been largely ignored by the gay community?

Gay marriage was always going to be addressed sooner or later, so why have so many couples opted for something gays generally feel is woefully inadequate??

Dare I say it's anything but....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The uptake of the civil partnership legislation by gay couples is amongst the highest in the EU.
    If it's such an inadequate law for gay people why has it not been largely ignored by the gay community?

Gay marriage was always going to be addressed sooner or later, so why have so many couples opted for something gays generally feel is woefully inadequate??

Sooner or later. So how could they have known how long "later" would be? Lots of gay couples took up the PACS system here in France, as a stop gap. It was more than 15 years before gay marriage was introduced here in France.

Dare I say that's a bit silly. Should a drowning man refuse a teaspoon of water on the basis that it is "inadequate" ... half a loaf better than no bread surely :confused:

Is that a serious question?

Are you really asking why gay couples didn't just say 'ah shure same-sex marriage will be along any decade now darling so let's wait eh. No point rushing into the half measure of civil partnership with it's limited protection when we have waited so long for full protection now is there?'

No. People took what protection they could get while still campaigning for full protection.
    Why isn't Civil Partnership good enough?
    Two main reasons -
    1. It could be repealed by any future government then it's all no more civil partnerships. This cannot happen with marriage.
    2. Irish courts take a literal view of what constitutes a 'family' and if it ain't founded on marriage it ain't a family.

If Civil Partnership is sooo fantastic why is there such a campaign to get same-sex marriage?

so its ok for the night staff to stay on duty looking after patients but dangerous go patients if the day nurses go and do some work.

Just to go out on a limb here, but what would you be saying if it uptake rate were particularly low?

Would it perhaps be on the lines of "they don't even want CP, obviously there's no need for marriage!"

Never ceases to amaze me how so-called intelligent, well educated judges can be so callous, insensitive & downright careless in their use of language. Of all people you'd expect them to be ultra conscious of how dangerous words can be.
    That judge should manup & apologise unreservedly for the hurt he caused the Buckley family ... shame on him!

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Just to go out on a limb here, but what would you be saying if it uptake rate were particularly low?

Would it perhaps be on the lines of "they don't even want CP, obviously there's no need for marriage!"

I would prefer government to see about beefing it up some more to make it attractive to gay couples rather than diluting traditional marriage.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I would prefer government to see about beefing it up some more to make it attractive to gay couples rather than diluting traditional marriage.

:rolleyes:

You're funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In what specific way will giving same-sex couples the right to marry dilute anybody else's marriage?

Fascinating I'm sure, but it doesn't address the point.

Actually... not even all that fascinating. How much "beefing up" would you care for? CP "separate from but equal to" marriage? Or slightly more "equal", but still definitively second class, so they don't get ideas above their station?

RayM wrote: »
    In what specific way will giving same-sex couples the right to marry dilute anybody else's marriage?

They would have to have fairly insipid marriages to begin with if they are that easily diluted.
    Wasn't this the same argument posited when divorce was being discussed? ;)

Callan57 wrote: »
    They would have to have fairly insipid marriages to begin with if they are that easily diluted.
    Wasn't this the same argument posited when divorce was being discussed? ;)
    Divorce does at least actually change each "instance" of the institution. You don't have to get divorced, but you do have to enter a institution that can, in civil terms, now be terminated. (Let's not get into the morass that is religious annulments.)

Allowing other people to get married while making no changes at all to the terms of all existing marriages, or future marriages that would already have been lawful... that's quite the stretch.

Seems to pretty much be a case of "ew, don't want to be associated with". Very much so in the case of that "very young 43 year old" writing to Mandate for Marriage.

Ronan Mullin .... that's my Q to depart to Lyric. Could not take his waffle on a Monday

• Advertisement

what a hate filled little man. a biggoted little weasel

mullen getting narky now coz hes getting a dose of his own interupting

is there only mullen and that other pillock breda obrien who are against the marriage referendum? they seem to be the only 2 people on any radio show speaking for the No side

RayM wrote: »

It will no longer be a bond based exclusively on the relationship between a man and a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

neris wrote: »
    is there only mullen and that other pillock breda obrien who are against the marriage referendum? they seem to be the only 2 people on any radio show speaking for the No side

Keith Mills also turns up.

There was another lad who's name I've forgotten, but after a few media performances so bad they make Terence Flanagan look well prepared it seems they've decided that having him on would be seen as promoting the other side!
    It will no longer be a bond based exclusively on the relationship between a man and a woman.

As that doesn't "dilute" anything, you've not answered the question.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

As that doesn't "dilute" anything, you've not answered the question.

That's a matter of opinion really.

If you take something away from something that was the very cornerstone of what it was, then as far as I'm concerned it's been diluted.

If you take something away from something that was the very cornerstone of what it was, then as far as I'm concerned it's been diluted.

If it's that easily diluted it can't be very solid to begin with

what was it the corner stone of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You sound shook.

"Taking away the cornerstone" is "diluting" something?

You've just jumbling up metaphors at this stage. If you take away a cornerstone of something, it doesn't get "diluted", it collapses. And this cornerstone is... "no gays allowed?"

Seems pretty survivable to me. And pretty non-dilutey, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

How would that dilute it? You don't seem capable of directly answering anybody's questions. Since you don't appear to have any actual arguments against marriage equality, maybe you should consider voting 'yes'.

Michael Colgan: "sending a ballet critic to review a cage fight" brilliant!
    He has me on the floor laughing, an absolute tonic on a miserable morning.:)

Any chance RTE would drop MLOD and give us Mr Colgan every week?
    I very nearly missed him because I was late changing back after having to go to Lyric to avoid herladyship. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Callan57 wrote: »
    Michael Colgan: "sending a ballet critic to review a cage fight" brilliant! He has me on the floor laughing, an absolute tonic on a miserable morning.:)

Not usually a huge fan of Colgan, as I find him a bit arrogant, but he was very funny today... And I liked the way he didnt let political correctness get in the way of giving his honest opinions about the book.

Particularly liked his line... "Sean, this book is called The Woman Who Stole My Life... And that is the name that I have now given to the woman in RTE who handed me this book to review". Brilliant..

Someone should give Noonan a fisherman's friend :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement