Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

lochderg wrote: »
    and childcare slots
    and keep fit slots
    and new autumn-range bras slots

and cooking slots
    and consumer rights slots

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

neris wrote: »
    and cooking slots
    and consumer rights slots

..and God slots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The public servants are looking around and seeing that private sector workers are getting pay increases, and they want to share in it. They werent as anxious to match themselves up to their private sector workers when they were losing their jobs or getting 50% pay cuts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

The public servants are looking around and seeing that private sector workers are getting pay increases, and they want to share in it. They werent as anxious to match themselves up to their private sector workers when they were losing their jobs or getting 50% pay cuts..

Any pay rises should be frontline only. Nurses, Teachers, Firemen etc. We need the best there. The accountants and administrators and back office support staff can **** off and get a job somewhere else if they don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Too true, as a self employed person I often smile ruefully when I hear public servants complaining of 10 or 20% pay cuts - they should try a 50-60% cut and see how it fits. Any chance of 'pay restoration' for the self employed??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

BarryD wrote: »
    Too true, as a self employed person I often smile ruefully when I hear public servants complaining of 10 or 20% pay cuts - they should try a 50-60% cut and see how it fits. Any chance of 'pay restoration' for the self employed??!!

Would you not have solidarity with those that have had their pay cut given your pay reduction or are you unhappy their cut wasn't as severe as yours?

Would you not have solidarity with those that have had their pay cut given your pay reduction or are you unhappy their cut wasn't as severe as yours?

I think they are very lucky to have a pretty much guaranteed level of income. I also wonder where all this revenue is going to come from to pay these increases. If the private sector including small businesses like ourselves, is taking in less, collecting less VAT, paying less income tax etc. - how does this work? Borrow more to pay higher wages? I hope not as that's a mad way to run any family, business, country...

BarryD wrote:
    I think they are very lucky to have a pretty much guaranteed level of income. I also wonder where all this revenue is going to come from to pay these increases. If the private sector including small businesses like ourselves, is taking in less, collecting less VAT, paying less income tax etc. - how does this work? Borrow more to pay higher wages? I hope not as that's a mad way to run any family, business, country...

So no solidarity and they are lucky to have any income. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

a bit like letting 10% own 50%-don't you ever think it weird that people only bring up stuff like that in a pub quiz?-a little interesting aside-but let's get back to the 'ordinairies' and wade into them-I'm sure they get embarrassed for us

So no solidarity and they are lucky to have any income. Great.

I think you have some cloud cuckoo image of the self employed - that they're raking in large incomes etc. From what I know of most such people, they don't know where their income is coming from month to month and in many cases, total income is a sight lower than equivalent people in the public services. Of course, medical consultants and legal people who are self employed hoover up large incomes but many self employed operate at much lower levels than that.

• Advertisement

I think you have some cloud cuckoo image of the self employed - that they're raking in large incomes etc. From what I know of most such people, they don't know where their income is coming from month to month and in many cases, total income is a sight lower than equivalent people in the public services. Of course, medical consultants and legal people who are self employed hoover up large incomes but many self employed operate at much lower levels than that.

I said nothing about the self employed!

I just find it odd that you've no solidarity with people who have had their pay cut given that you've taken a pay cut.

How do you expect anyone to have any sympathy for you?

I said nothing about the self employed!

I just find it odd that you've no solidarity with people who have had their pay cut given that you've taken a pay cut.

How do you expect anyone to have any sympathy for you?

What!! I don't expect any sympathy at all!! Work for yourself and sympathy is more or less the last thing you'd need to be thinking of :)

That's half the problem with this country - too much of a sense of entitlement.

What!! I don't expect any sympathy at all!! Work for yourself and sympathy is more or less the last thing you'd need to be thinking of :)

That's half the problem with this country - too much of a sense of entitlement.

Why did you complain about your own status?

I just don't get this begrudgery of others that don't earn that much looking for a pay increase after they took several pay cuts over the last few years!

Why did you complain about your own status?

I just don't get this begrudgery of others that don't earn that much looking for a pay increase after they took several pay cuts over the last few years!

I'm not complaining about our status as self employed - I'm long enough at it to know complaining about these things from this position is a complete waste of time. You're only as good as your last sale, job etc.

I'm just bemused at public servants looking for 'pay restoration' when they have by and large been sheltered in recent years from job losses and large reductions in income.

Rose tinted glasses come to mind :)

I'm not complaining about our status as self employed - I'm long enough at it to know complaining about these things from this position is a complete waste of time. You're only as good as your last sale, job etc.

I'm just bemused at public servants looking for 'pay restoration' when they have by and large been sheltered in recent years from job losses and large reductions in income.

Rose tinted glasses come to mind :)

Ah well I disagree!

I wouldn't begrudge them an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

He is absolutely right "surrogacy" is a huge issue but IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS REFERENDUM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What I can never understand is why the yes debaters never point out that surrogacy already happens, and adoptions already happen, involving gay and straight couples - so the argument about children being entitled to their natural parents is a complete red herring.

Certainly it needs to be addressed, and surrogacy is a total minefield - but as per the post above IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS REFERENDUM.

Callan57 wrote: »
    He is absolutely right "surrogacy" is a huge issue but IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS REFERENDUM

I'm not so sure.. if we were to have a referendum that would allow us to say, all drive at whatever speed we liked on the roads... would it not be fair to raise the issue of the consequences of such a right. i.e. more accidents??

There are a lot of aspects to this referendum - it's not as simple as people like to make out.

I'm not so sure.. if we were to have a referendum that would allow us to say, all drive at whatever speed we liked on the roads... would it not be fair to raise the issue of the consequences of such a right. i.e. more accidents??

There are a lot of aspects to this referendum - it's not as simple as people like to make out.

It seems to me to be straightforward - either you belive everyone is equal regardless of sexual orientation or you don't. It's a very simple one really

• Advertisement

The referendum commission judge has said it's nothing to do with surrogacy and the head adoption person said it won't change adoption laws.

What are your concerns about two men or two women marrying?

It seems to me to be straightforward - either you belive everyone is equal regardless of sexual orientation or you don't. It's a very simple one really

Clearly there are implications for 'marriage equality' in the constitution down the road - anyone who says there isn't is sticking their heads in the sand. One right ensures another and so on. I'm not sure which way I'll vote on it - I wouldn't be entirely happy voting No but I might be less happy voting Yes.. Maybe I'll spoil the vote.

Pity the judges don't listen to PO'G reports & they might get a flavour of the "contempt" they are held in by a certain section of society.
    Courts system is a total joke to some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Jesus why was it neccessary to give all those details of that poor man's death? What purpose does it serve? :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 77 ✭✭Unruly Hector

Will you get a better phone line Paul, ffs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Will you get a better phone line Paul, ffs..

+100

I'm getting so sick of trying to listen to interviews from mobile phones - two this morning alone that had to be abandoned. How hard can it be for people to access a landline when they want to come on the radio?

• Advertisement

.... Ah yes, once again Mary Hanafin has all the glib answers - pity she didn't "know it all" when she sat round the cabinet table & watched the lives of thousands decimated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Jesus why was it neccessary to give all those details of that poor man's death? What purpose does it serve? :mad:

Some of Paul's Reynolds reporting of late has been dreadfully tabloid in nature and some of the details given are unnecessary. The basic facts of the story could have been told without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Radio5 wrote: »
    Some of Paul's Reynolds reporting of late has been dreadfully tabloid in nature and some of the details given are unnecessary. The basic facts of the story could have been told without them.
    Yeah it was utter tabloid voyeurism.

David Quinn & Co should get down off the cross & think back to the vitriol & abuse people suffered in the 1983 amendment campaign. I remember people being openly called murderers and Herod fellow travellers & indeed worse and on live television & from many an altar ... which probably had as big an influence then as social media has now. Had social media existed then his constituency would not have been behind the door in using it to maximise that abuse.

It should also be noted that, unlike the 1983 proponents, Colm O'Gorman & other leaders of this campaign repeatedly condemned personalised abuse and repeatedly asked those engaging in it or in defacing posters to desist.

Going to work on Friday morning I saw a full line of Yes posters where the Yes was overwritten with NO in Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

that pawn shop is more like a comedy store:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

that pawn shop is more like a comedy store:)

im getting fed up with those "poor me" stories from people who expect everything to be given to them by the government but dont contribute anything back into society. If the pawn shop wouldnt take "your" IPhone tough ****, maybe they have enough to sell or maybe they have the cop on to realise the phones are nicked

Interesting to note that the chap speaking for the Yes campaign this morning was already moving on in his mind towards 'issues to do with the family' etc........ and how these need to be tackled.

These are the sort of issues that many ordinary voters with doubts in the back of their minds were concerned about when considering how to vote. You'd think he might just have chosen to let the dust settle a little bit. But apparently not - keep moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Interesting to note that the chap speaking for the Yes campaign this morning was already moving on in his mind towards 'issues to do with the family' etc........ and how these need to be tackled.

These are the sort of issues that many ordinary voters with doubts in the back of their minds were concerned about when considering how to vote. You'd think he might just have chosen to let the dust settle a little bit. But apparently not - keep moving.

Thought the same myself, give us a break from all this sheeeite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Dumb Irish never excel at strategic tasks. Watch them whine down the road that they were hoodwinked!

Fianna Fail Civil war kicking off live on air.

Kinda think these people take themselves a bit too seriously - does the average member of the public really care all that much about Avril Power and Fianna Fail and their internal bickering??

I think we can take that as a NO Seán

touts wrote: »

Could it possibly be "a split" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I think we can take that as a NO Seán

Can't help wondering where he learned to dodge questions like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Another FFer, (whom I've never heard of), leaving the fold on now.
    Is this news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

RayM wrote: »
    Can't help wondering where he learned to dodge questions like that...

He must have been in SF before. Anyway we will never forget you Aoife Power.

Ah another teacher whinge more "culture of entitlement"

Could it possibly be "a split" :rolleyes:

I don't think they have enough members for a split.

Kinda think these people take themselves a bit too seriously - does the average member of the public really care all that much about Avril Power and Fianna Fail and their internal bickering??

I'd say Renua do. My bet is Lucinda will be putting a reassuring arm around her this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GenGenie

Ah another teacher whinge more "culture of entitlement"

With respect, I have to disagree with you there - teachers holidays are great, blah blah, but if you actually knew how the education system works, or were a teacher yourself, you would feel very different.

My sister is part-time in a school (10 hours a week!) - there has been a new principal in place for last 3 years. This principal has not increased ANYONE of the part-timers to full time, instead he has recruited more part-timers with same subjects. Disgraceful that you have to beg this fe*cer for more hours and your job is entirely in the hands of this bully.

How can someone with children realistically live on this time of wage? At least in private sector, you get a job, you get a job - you don't have to scrounge for hours for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

GenGenie wrote: »
    With respect, I have to disagree with you there - teachers holidays are great, blah blah, but if you actually knew how the education system works, or were a teacher yourself, you would feel very different.

My sister is part-time in a school (10 hours a week!) - there has been a new principal in place for last 3 years. This principal has not increased ANYONE of the part-timers to full time, instead he has recruited more part-timers with same subjects. Disgraceful that you have to beg this fe*cer for more hours and your job is entirely in the hands of this bully.

How can someone with children realistically live on this time of wage? At least in private sector, you get a job, you get a job - you don't have to scrounge for hours for years.

The principal is most likely awaiting the arrival of a part timer that displays real talent and motivation and will offer them a full time position, plenty of laggards and dead weight, they'll do in small doses and are tolerated as stop gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GenGenie

my friend wrote: »
    The principal is most likely awaiting the arrival of a part timer that displays real talent and motivation and will offer them a full time position, plenty of laggards and dead weight, they'll do in small doses and are tolerated as stop gaps

"Tolerated?" Jaysus - you are quite the charmer.

I totally disagree with you though. As it happens, this principal bullies full time staff too - a control freak etc.

My original post was really to highlight that irritating opinion that teachers have it easy, short days, long holidays, always whinging etc. Its a harmless and out of date opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'd say Renua do. My bet is Lucinda will be putting a reassuring arm around her this afternoon.

Power and Renua are poles apart on the political spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering she left FF over their lack of campaigning in the referendum, I doubt there's much chance of her joining Renua...

Labour are the closest politically but considering they have two and a half sitting TDs (Broughan could be back, again) in the area there will likely be war about which one of those to not select let alone consider running another.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Power and Renua are poles apart on the political spectrum.

Won't stop Renua trying to recruit her though. She mightn't join them but I don't think Renua care where you are on the political spectrum as long as you have a profile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement