Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

She's on now with Pat Kenny. I doubt he'll mention Denis.

Not when one of them hopes to be employed by him in the future like Biffo, and the other one wants to stay in he's employment!

#redacted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

BarryD wrote: »
    Anything, anything to do with Irish Water has been 'tabloid interview' status with the media for quite a while. The logic of restructuring water services in the country is completely lost, they're just a convenient horse to flog.

I'm pretty sure Minister Lowry also used the tabloid journalism and blocking progress arguments to dismiss some journalists questions about the whole murky relationships involved in the flogging off of national assets during the last FG led government. What Sean did today, and does consistently, is refuse to accept the meaningless dribble government ministers come out and which is accepted by the majority of journalists who are in fact little more than stable mates of the same ministers they are interviewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Labour got less than 20% of the vote in the last election and yet they get lambasted for not delivering everything they promised. If most of the electorate wanted what Labour were promising, then most of the electorate would have voted for them..............but they didn't.

Exactly.

I watched that Independents' Day thing last night, with jokers like Ogle claiming that people had been "radicalised" by water charges. O RLY? Is that more people voting "left"? Or just the existing "left" being angry about it? (Skating over the elements of opposition to IW that clearly aren't in any sense "left" at all. Freeman, DDI, Lucinda Creighton... Ronon bleedin' Mullen, would you believe it...)

I think, sadly, what you'll find it that much the same people that voted for Labour to have a sadly small influence in the present government will vote for a variety of other parties... in order to have no influence at all over the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Exactly.

I watched that Independents' Day thing last night, with jokers like Ogle claiming that people had been "radicalised" by water charges. O RLY? Is that more people voting "left"? Or just the existing "left" being angry about it? (Skating over the elements of opposition to IW that clearly aren't in any sense "left" at all. Freeman, DDI, Lucinda Creighton... Ronon bleedin' Mullen, would you believe it...)

I think, sadly, what you'll find it that much the same people that voted for Labour to have a sadly small influence in the present government will vote for a variety of other parties... in order to have no influence at all over the next one.

Frankly , I thought you had a bit more sense than to watch crud like that.
    No offence , but anyone who thinks Independents are anything more than a bunch of self-serving mē fēiners is challenged.

Now I'm sure you just looked for info purposes and you know the score,but sadly there are people out there who support these gloamers.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: can we move the discussion back on topic, please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Love the way this dope from the water protest yesterday has the " only accurate account" of what went on yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

This clown seems to be channelling Charlie McCreevey - I know nothing, I saw nothing

He's making me WANT TO PAY my water bill.

Callan57 wrote: »
    This clown seems to be channelling Charlie McCreevey - I know nothing, I saw nothing

They are a right pair of muppets. They seem to have been at completely different protests. You started it by drawing batons. No you started it by throwing traffic cones. Scarily both of these are actually elected representatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

touts wrote: »
    They are a right pair of muppets. They seem to have been at completely different protests. You started it by drawing batons. No you started it by throwing traffic cones. Scarily both of these are actually elected representatives.

One story is accurate, though.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid there's nothing forcing them to stay here.

Apparently the definition of "democracy" changes to suit the agenda of Ruth Coppinger et al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Apparently the definition of "democracy" changes to suit the agenda of Ruth Coppinger et al
    Could you please elaborate for those who didn't hear it, or who might want to podcast it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Indeed and according as to who has to pay. Bye, bye our €350 million loan to Greece but sure who gives a feck about the democratic wishes of the Irish taxpayer. Maybe we should just double the water charges to make up the loss?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Indeed and according as to who has to pay. Bye, bye our €350 million loan to Greece but sure who gives a feck about the democratic wishes of the Irish taxpayer. Maybe we should just double the water charges to make up the loss?? ;)

The Greek debt levels are unsustainable. So the only chance of getting some of that 350 million euro back is if Greece gets a debt write-down. If Greece defaults we'll get nothing.

Or ask Fine Gael sugar daddy Denis o Brien to pay back the 350 million debt that was written off for him!

But that's not going to happen is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    The Greek debt levels are unsustainable. So the only chance of getting some of that 350 million euro back is if Greece gets a debt write-down. If Greece defaults we'll get nothing.

Ah but which countries should take the hit in this write down, isn't that what I meant re Ruth Coppinger above? Everyone says write off the Greek debt but nobody really wants to be the one to do it. And of course, if it were to happen, there'd be a queue rapidly forming.

I suppose we could be martyrs and just write of the €350 million we lent them. As I say, stick a bit of extra tax on here and there and cut our social welfare payments a bit??? That'd do the job nicely, but of course you'd soon have a chorus of accusations of austerity and stealth cuts etc. and from the very people who advocate debt write off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Ah but which countries should take the hit in this write down, isn't that what I meant re Ruth Coppinger above? Everyone says write off the Greek debt but nobody really wants to be the one to do it. And of course, if it were to happen, there'd be a queue rapidly forming.

It would most likely be an x percent write-down across the board. "The very people who advocate debt write off"... now includes the IMF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Pat Rabbitte obviously feels the people have sucked up enough austerity for him to ride into the sunset with his big fat pension...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Remember Aine Lawlor told David Norris he wasn't running for election in ancient Greece? Well going by this interview, someone is going to have to tell a government rep in the run-up to the next election that they're not standing in modern Greece...

A lefty who can't even pronounce 'rioting'....wree'iting? righooting??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Thank the christ this little snidey munch is retiring.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

"Are you going to go and work for one of DOB's radio stations?"

Youch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

buried wrote: »
    Thank the christ this little snidey munch is retiring.

I wasn't aware that Sean O'Rourke was retiring.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Someone needs to get through to Labour that it is not a defense of their promise breaking to say 'things were much worse than we thought before the election'. If you say something like "we will not agree to further cuts in child benefit" you have to stick to it come hell or high water, or else lose all credibility. There's every bit as much an onus on Ruairi Quinn to make one of these mea culpas on student fees as Nick Clegg:

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that Sean O'Rourke was retiring.:confused:

He's not

Pat doesnt seem to like the auld protests anymore which is strange because he sure did enjoy them when he was in the Democratic Left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

Brilliant robust interview with Pat Rabbite, First decent exchange I have heard in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

pjproby wrote: »
    Brilliant robust interview with Pat Rabbite, First decent exchange I have heard in ages.
    Agreed.

Sean was challenging, and was prepared to claim that Rabbitte was evading questions. Rabbitte came back strongly. A good contest.

That's not how Sean dealt with Joan Burton last week, where he did not give her space to answer without interrupting her or talking her down.

Agreed.

Sean was challenging, and was prepared to claim that Rabbitte was evading questions. Rabbitte came back strongly. A good contest.

That's not how Sean dealt with Joan Burton last week, where he did not give her space to answer without interrupting her or talking her down.

To be fair - Pat doesn't let himself be provoked (the old dog for the hard road) & he doesn't walk into the trap of shouting across someone else which only comes across as badgering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

pjproby wrote: »

That's not the way I heard it, I heard an interview with a person on the way out of the arena of responsibility, no hard edge to it, as it should be, fairly gentle joshing in my opinion ably handled by Rabitte and not really pursued by Sean.

Typical 'exit ' interview, and no harm in that, but to say it was anything close to robust in my opinion is off the mark.

What a fascinating lady, Sue Lloyd Roberts, I could listen to her all day. Wish her the very best of luck with her illness - clearly she's got every God on her side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Postmaster pat seems all over the place and was well caught out a good few times there. Welcome to the 21st century and modern technology

neris wrote: »
    Postmaster pat seems all over the place and was well caught out a good few times there. Welcome to the 21st century and modern technology

Doing a fair old impersonation of King Canute - he should be honest and admit what he wants is compulsory payment through PO ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GenGenie

Seriously, how annoying is Cathy Kelly doing the book reviews? She is so giddy and silly. Doesn't suit the tone of the show at all!

GenGenie wrote: »
    Seriously, how annoying is Cathy Kelly doing the book reviews? She is so giddy and silly. Doesn't suit the tone of the show at all!

I agree - Sean should tell her not to treat every book like Chic Lit :rolleyes:

Stop fitting water meters but people using "excessive" amount of water should have to pay for it? How is this mysterious "excessive usage" going to be arrived at without meters???
    Waffle, waffle, waffle Roisin ... same old, same old

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

The SDs

If Murphy the Trotsky joins up they become the STDs

Why do people refer to someone suffering from cancer as "fighting", "brave" & "heroic" .. what a load of old twaddle.
    I'm reminded of Nuala O'Faolain's superb final interview, a lot to be said for brutal honesty

Why do people refer to someone suffering from cancer as "fighting", "brave" & "heroic" .. what a load of old twaddle.
    I'm reminded of Nuala O'Faolain's superb final interview, a lot to be said for brutal honesty

I assume it's to avoid the numerous negative connotations to referring someone as a 'victim'

• Advertisement

I assume it's to avoid the numerous negative connotations to referring someone as a 'victim'

I can understand that but IMO it put someone who is just feeling like Sh1t under pressure to appear to be "positive" and "determined" when all they may want to do is lie down and wish it was all over. Just saying

Beries mouthpiece ... more smoke and daggers no doubt

Paddy doesn't seem to have any understanding that a Taoiseach & Min for Finance is paid (handsomly) to look after the PUBLIC INTEREST not the interests of individual sectoral interests.

But this is hardly surprising FF have never in their entire history ever put the country ahead of their own & the mates interests.

Enda Kenny has decided to crawl out from his bunker and show his Ministers how to handle Sean O'Rourke.

This has the potential to be very entertaining.

This is awful bull**** from enda.

What a coward!

Sean is going easy on him. He again threw out the lie that they didn't increase income tax and Sean left him off. Sean seems to have been muzzled as a condition of getting the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he is just a windbag reading scripted slogans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

Compared to the Pat Rabbite interview that interview with Enda Kenny was absolutely harmless.

Unless I'm having some kind of mental "event" I'm certain I heard that same guy telling the story of his Saturday morning broken arm previously on RTE - is he the only Irish guy living in Sweden?

A third to half of your income on tax ... can't see that running :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

touts wrote: »
    Enda Kenny has decided to crawl out from his bunker and show his Ministers how to handle Sean O'Rourke.

This has the potential to be very entertaining.

Missed the interview with Sean & Enda, but if Enda has any gumption, he should let Matt Cooper interview him, now that would be a great interview!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement