Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

People; politics goes in the Political cafe; so let's return on topic shall we?

//MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Wonder does Trump ever look in the mirror? Probably he has someone to look for him. What a sad excuse for a human being

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Callan57 wrote: »
    Wonder does Trump ever look in the mirror? Probably he has someone to look for him. What a sad excuse for a human being

Even sadder human beings are the Republican party members who think him the best of seventeen candidates to run for president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

At least if trmp gets elected himself and kim jong un could reopen diplomatic ties by talking about dodgy hair do,s

Is this a Pat Shortt sketch? FF concerned for what's "good for the country" ... and pigs will fly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not specific to the SO'R show, but has anyone else noticed that the same topics keep cropping up on different shows, not only on different stations but even within RTE.

This is the second time in two or three days that I've heard about this exotic animal sanctuary, and I'm fairly sure the other report was also on RTE (haven't listened to NT in quite a while).

And as for pre-election voting pacts - I've heard that debated and interrogated on nearly every current affairs show for the last four or five days - are we going to be subjected to this for the next 8 months?

Variety seems to be a scarce resource on radio these days.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Not specific to the SO'R show, but has anyone else noticed that the same topics keep cropping up on different shows, not only on different stations but even within RTE.

Variety seems to be a scarce resource on radio these days.

it seems to happen alot between Morning Ireland & Newstalk Breakfast & Pat kenny & Sean O'Rourke. Ive often heard the same person (normally a politician) having interviews aired at the same time on both stations (and before anyone states the bleedin obvious yes i know at least one will have been recorded)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

neris wrote: »
    it seems to happen alot between Morning Ireland & Newstalk Breakfast & Pat kenny & Sean O'Rourke. Ive often heard the same person (normally a politician) having interviews aired at the same time on both stations (and before anyone states the bleedin obvious yes i know at least one will have been recorded)

It's August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

It's not unique to national radio either. I think I heard the same politician on all 3 Cork stations this week talking about the Weekend in Crookhaven.

Heard a bit of today's discussion on divorce. Maybe this was alluded to but I would have felt that it was fairly relevant to recent divorce figures, that we've had a recession in this country since 2007/08. It's been a struggle to have money to run 1 household let alone 2. I know cases where people have stayed together in the one house because they can't afford to separate or have moved back in because they can't afford to live apart.

• Advertisement

I don't understand this argument ... it's patently obvious that if there is a so-called "subsidy" available the cost of houses will go up to include that. Thus increasing the costs for everyone including those who don't qualify for the "subsidy".
    Isn't that exactly what happened in the past where there was a first time buyer grant & the cost of the house factored in that grant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

fair play to that kid

What is the point of pages of rules and no implementation ... load of waffle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What is the point of pages of rules and no implementation ... load of waffle

This country is run on that principle Mr C. Haven't you noticed:)

I was very interested in this interview about The Bog Of Cats but it's very annoying - is she way too close to the mic or what???

Free water, free housing, free health care ... is this guy for real? Who does he propose is going to pay for all these freebies ... can you just imagine the tax rate the few left working in the country would be paying on this idiots agenda?

• Advertisement

Free water, free housing, free health care ... is this guy for real? Who does he propose is going to pay for all these freebies ... can you just imagine the tax rate the few left working in the country would be paying on this idiots agenda?

Was paul murphy on again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Apparently a big hike in Employer PRSI and a wealth tax on assets. So basically if you have a job or any savings you're ****ed.

But your water will be free.

touts wrote: »
    Apparently a big hike in Employer PRSI

They cant keep screwing businesses eveytime a few quid is needed in the coffers. We already pay extornitate rates and water bills and employers prsi is 10.75% as it is

Was paul murphy on again?

Who is John Douglas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

It's an appealing message though - you just keep feeding it out and generate a feel good factor. I was hoping the chap might have been asked a few questions about the unions that represent IW workers and want their bonuses paid.......... but conveniently ignored.

• Advertisement

Who is John Douglas?

if he was the guy who was on, they said in the news that hes the head guy in the trade union Mandate (probably no surprise hes a trade union dreamer)

rte doing a hatchet job on creches, someone in montrose really has it in for the childcare sector

BarryD wrote: »
    It's an appealing message though - you just keep feeding it out and generate a feel good factor. I was hoping the chap might have been asked a few questions about the unions that represent IW workers and want their bonuses paid.......... but conveniently ignored.

Apealing to anyone who still believes in Santa - sit on you butt and "someone" else will feed, clothe, house you and fund your "entitlements" :rolleyes:

Valid point about the union members in IW - Q should have been asked.
    He should also have been asked about how representative of their membership this Union support is? Given that union members are workers it would be interesting to hear their take on massive tax increses to fund this freebie lifestyle. The Union members I know feel they are already paying massive PAYE & USC etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Apealing to anyone who still believes in Santa - sit on you butt and "someone" else will feed, clothe, house you and fund your "entitlements" :rolleyes:

Well, to some extent that's how you make progress in Irish politics. If you give people the idea that something can be free or that they don't have to pay for this utility or another - then people will seize on that, for a while anyway.

Eventually the chickens come home to roost and the voting public move onto another set of promises etc. I often cringe when I hear people pontificate about the supposed intelligence of the electorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

rte doing a hatchet job on creches, someone in montrose really has it in for the childcare sector
    I didn't think it a hatchet job. It drew attention to how difficult it is to run a good creche and make decent money.

David Quinn's usual line of "discussion" ... shout down anyone who doesn't agree with his sectarian views

Eamonn Malley is superb - listening to him on DUP v UUP I'm reminded of the saying "when bullalo battle in the marsh it's the frogs who suffer"

Surely it's only fair if you are going to consider the positive contribution migrants might make to the country you should also consider the negative contribution?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

How many tens of thousands had to emigrate because of the bankruptcy of the country by Fianna fail and there cronie friends!

Ah yes! lorry more money into the HSE for more inflated salaries and pensions and zero improvement for the end user.

Why can't the Health services learn from the tremedous, impressive & superbly efficient work of the rescue services - as witnessed again this weekend in Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ah yes! lorry more money into the HSE for more inflated salaries and pensions and zero improvement for the end user.

Why can't the Health services learn from the tremedous, impressive & superbly efficient work of the rescue services - as witnessed again this weekend in Wexford.

you got it in one 57.

Brendan Howlin making sense, just hope he holds the line & resists the demands to throw whatever few bob we have at the bottomless pit that is the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

"what is water?"

the mans lost the plot.

Brendan Howlin making sense, just hope he holds the line & resists the demands to throw whatever few bob we have at the bottomless pit that is the HSE

More money for the hse and then if that gets passed, that whiny prick liam doran will be on every radio station telling us how we need more frontline staff and more pay

I could listen to John Banville all day ... can't wait to get my hands on The Blue Guitar. I just love that I have to read his books side by side with the dictionary and/or Google

Just a pity Fingers didn't run the bank as well as he ran his one personal finances :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

SOR just skivered the Minister for Justice. She squirmed through the interview just now.

Just a pity Fingers didn't run the bank as well as he ran his one personal finances :rolleyes:

I think the problem was he did run the bank as if it was his own personal finances.

touts wrote: »
    I think the problem was he did run the bank as if it was his own personal finances.

But with vastly different outcomes eh? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

But with vastly different outcomes eh? :rolleyes:

Not for him.

That caller is absolutely right - easy for Peter Sudderland, Mary Robinson and the "chattering classes" to bemoan our "lack of humanity" in accepting migrants. These aren't the people who will be impacted, they won't suffer because of additional demands on our health services, housing, social services & nor will their children be impacted by additional demands on schools etc etc

Very easy to pontificate from the lofty heights of their well-heeled ivory towers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

That caller is absolutely right - easy for Peter Sudderland, Mary Robinson and the "chattering classes" to bemoan our "lack of humanity" in accepting migrants. These aren't the people who will be impacted, they won't suffer because of additional demands on our health services, housing, social services & nor will their children be impacted by additional demands on schools etc etc

Very easy to pontificate from the lofty heights of their well-heeled ivory towers

Lets not get hysterical now.
    Ireland has accepted fewer refugees than any other EU country, has one of the highest refusal rates. Plus they are not migrants in this case, they are refugees. There is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Given the fact that Sunni and Shia are very long term enemies.... and Saudi Arabia is waging a proxy war against anything non Sunni in the middle east.

How many Syrian refugees has Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, UAE and Bahrain taken in?

Oh ...absolutely ZERO.

http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.1219/the-wealthy-saudi-arabia-and-the-other-gulf-states-receive-zero-syrian-refugees.html

Yet they are funding the war!

Of course the international media demands Europe must do more!!

Personally I do not blame the refugees... if they can't live in their home country... then of course they will attempt to live elsewhere.

However the long term answer is peace in the Middle East... fostering a culture of respect for other religions etc.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Lets not get hysterical now.
    Ireland has accepted fewer refugees than any other EU country, has one of the highest refusal rates. Plus they are not migrants in this case, they are refugees. There is a difference.

And lets not be patronising either.
    IMO it is perfectly rational and reasonable to expect that the views/opinions of those who will be directly impacted by any decision be taken into account.
    It is disrespecting, ignoring & talking down to communities that generates resentments and breeds future animosity which will benefit nobody.

IMO it is perfectly rational and reasonable to expect that the views/opinions of those who will be directly impacted by any decision be taken into account.

And how do you suggest we do that? Have a referendum? Listen to Liveline?

• Advertisement

And how do you suggest we do that? Have a referendum? Listen to Liveline?

Well perhaps a little more diversity than the same "dinner party" talking heads we listen to ad nauseam.
    There are people with a different point of view & perfectly legitimate concerns (even if it's not PC to say so) and I wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of RTE or other broadcast researchers to get some diversity of opinion into the discussion.

Well perhaps a little more diversity than the same "dinner party" talking heads we listen to ad nauseam.
    There are people with a different point of view & perfectly legitimate concerns (even if it's not PC to say so) and I wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of RTE or other broadcast researchers to get some diversity of opinion into the discussion.
    They did let that caller on, the one you agreed with above.

They did let that caller on, the one you agreed with above.

One caller ... you make my point for me :rolleyes:

One caller ... you make my point for me :rolleyes:

No, I don't think i did really. The Sean O'Rourke show is not a phone-in show, but they did offer an opposing view to that of the..eh... "chattering classes".

189 previous convictions and cant remember how many times hes been in prison. Time to review the judical system and build more prisons

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement