Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

And now another lad who loves prison and slash hooks (and its not his cultural background)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

One mother on her son who took an Iron bar to a lad in a car: Ah sure they were wild in trouble a lot growing up. We were stigmatized. It was only young lads growing up on the street. They have calmed down a lot. (clearly not enough to stop carrying around Iron bars)

Another lad: "I'll go down to the prison for the day and have me dinner". "So Prison doesn't bother you" "Sure I've been in prison a lot. I did 5 years when I was 16 for shooting a fella".

It's hard to rationalize that sort of casual attitude to violence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

touts wrote: »
    One mother on her son who took an Iron bar to a lad in a car: Ah sure they were wild in trouble a lot growing up. We were stigmatized. It was only young lads growing up on the street. They have calmed down a lot. (clearly not enough to stop carrying around Iron bars)

Another lad: "I'll go down to the prison for the day and have me dinner". "So Prison doesn't bother you" "Sure I've been in prison a lot. I did 5 years when I was 16 for shooting a fella".

It's hard to rationalize that sort of casual attitude to violence.

They can whine about being stigmatised Its the only tax we can extract from the non contributing dirt bags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Loved the reply by Sean to the idiot who suggested that the pope should put refugees up in the Cistine Chapel.
    Pure Galway cynicism, all he needed was a radio version of RollEyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Loved the reply by Sean to the idiot who suggested that the pope should put refugees up in the Cistine Chapel.

RED ALERT! RED ALERT!

Aethist church basher on the loose from After Hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GenGenie

I think the Dr and psychotherapist - I think its Dr Harry Barry and Enda Murphy - that Sean has on regularly are fantastic. It is one of the most interesting piece of radio in my opinion. The speak such sense - proper public service broadcasting if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Ah, nice to hear Shane Ross being brought to book for once!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

BarryD wrote: »
    Ah, nice to hear Shane Ross being brought to book for once!!

He's as good a waffler as any of them ...
    I have repeatedly referred to the so-called "audited" reports - why are businesses paying huge fees for total nonsense? The auditors response is "we can only go on what the company tell us" so what exactly is the point of audited reports?
    I was of the opinion they were paid exorbitant fees because they actually checked & verified the figures (silly me).
    In my defence I'm only an ordinary Joe, you would have expected that Shane Ross as a stockbroker & very much an insider to know better that to take these works of fiction as fact. I must be incredibly innocent ... :rolleyes:

Shane Ross usually gets a fairly easy ride in the media, in his role of shining knight to the rescue of the beleaguered citizens of Ireland. But I reckon if you pasted all the various positions he's taken over the years on the whole gamut of topics and put them in a book, you'd be baffled as to what he actually stands for.

Oh that insufferable waffler john drenan is back on the airwaves

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »

If I had to identify one thing that would turn me off voting for Renua it would be the pompous arrogant John ... can't take his brand of incessant childish sarcasm masquerading as wit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Shane Ross usually gets a fairly easy ride in the media, in his role of shining knight to the rescue of the beleaguered citizens of Ireland. But I reckon if you pasted all the various positions he's taken over the years on the whole gamut of topics and put them in a book, you'd be baffled as to what he actually stands for.
    He stands for election.

Perpetual outrage is his stock-in-trade.

neris wrote: »

I was a bit surprised that he got 20 min to flog his book which seemed to be all about how the government is bad and Renua will be better. I was even more surprised when they said it was €16.99. He can **** off if he think's I'm paying for the Renua manifesto that I won't read even when they shove it through my letterbox for free in a couple of months.

I was a bit surprised that he got 20 min to flog his book which seemed to be all about how the government is bad and Renua will be better. I was even more surprised when they said it was €16.99. He can **** off if he think's I'm paying for the Renua manifesto that I won't read even when they shove it through my letterbox for free in a couple of months.

Oh I just love that - even John couldn't better that :D

There's a curious observation. The good people of Ballymore managed to build a fine church right in the thick of the Great Famine whilst poorer people suffered greatly throughout the countryside. An interesting reflection on the received wisdom that starvation was all down to an indifferent British government. As always, things are more complicated.

There's a curious observation. The good people of Ballymore managed to build a fine church right in the thick of the Great Famine whilst poorer people suffered greatly throughout the countryside. An interesting reflection on the received wisdom that starvation was all down to an indifferent British government. As always, things are more complicated.

It has often amazed me the number of elaborate RC churches built at the height of the Famine.
    Not very subtle blackmailing of a starving people

Callan57 wrote: »
    It has often amazed me the number of elaborate RC churches built at the height of the Famine.
    Not very subtle blackmailing of a starving people
    The great surge in church building happened in the decade after the famine (when, admittedly, the bulk of the ordinary population were living in very poor circumstances).

It is often attributed to the people turning to religion at that time - a bit of "you can't put your faith in the natural world, or in your fellow-man, so let's try God".

The great surge in church building happened in the decade after the famine (when, admittedly, the bulk of the ordinary population were living in very poor circumstances).

It is often attributed to the people turning to religion at that time - a bit of "you can't put your faith in the natural world, or in your fellow-man, so let's try God".

True but a not insignificant number were built between 1845 - 48, including my local parish church. Even as a child I often pondered how many of my family went to bed hungry to appease the parsimonious demands of the clergy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Jesus some shillfest on SOR just now with val cox in kos with the refugees !

Had a Joe "tears" moment and everything.

Remarkably no one in RTE , or anywhere else TBH , seems interested in giving the public a poll on the issue to see what they think.

Wonder why ?

Texts up now and ya can hear the crestfallen tone that they're not all pro in the least .

Never mind here's a piece saying what bastards Irish people are

• Advertisement

Is this lady for real? Comparing the refugee cricis with people coming for a rugby match ... I'm head a lot of nonsence of late but that surely tops all :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Or for the Garth Brooks' concerts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Remarkably no one in RTE , or anywhere else TBH , seems interested in giving the public a poll on the issue to see what they think.

Wonder why ?

Texts up now and ya can hear the crestfallen tone that they're not all pro in the least .

"It's a disgrace, Sean"

FF attempting to rewrite history again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭joe_six_cans

who was the european leftist on the panel today ?

not only did he spout every cliched economic point imaginable , he moronically stated that an increase in corporation tax by definition increases the amount of revenue taken in

be fine if he wasnt presented as some kind of respected academic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Indeed you wouldn't Barry, Ross has been spouting hurler on the ditch stuff for aons always coming from a position which relies on hindsight and lack of action.

Seems to know all the answers 'after the event' but strangely reluctant to put himself in the firing line with any policy group which might have to implement any unpopular but necessary decisions,stays well clear of that scenario does Mr Ross.

So as far as this poster is concerned I have no difficulty establishing what he stands for- Shane RossTD and getting re-elected- that what he stands for in my humble opinion.

• Advertisement

the poor builders are back and tom parlon doing his usual tripe talk

Wonder why ?

Some serious self-congratulatory guff coming from Cox since she jetted out.
    She's going to be the darling of the dinner party circuit off the back of this, no doubt about it.

Huge difference between her and PBH who gives a more factual report.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Some serious self-congratulatory guff coming from Cox since she jetted out.
    She's going to be the darling of the dinner party circuit off the back of this, no doubt about it.

Huge difference between her and PBH who gives a more factual report.

I understand Cox is out there with the husband, AS A VOLUNTEER, on leave from RTE for two weeks.

That's as I heard SOR say anyway.

I understand Cox is out there with the husband, AS A VOLUNTEER, on leave from RTE for two weeks.

That's as I heard SOR say anyway.

Indeed she is.

Although undoubtedly not the only volunteer over there, she is so far the only one to be afforded a daily self-promotion slot on one of the country's most popular radio shows.

Strange that.

It's never enough for charity to be done, it must be seen to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Indeed she is.

Although undoubtedly not the only volunteer over there, she is so far the only one to be afforded a daily self-promotion slot on one of the country's most popular radio shows.

Strange that.

I didn't hear the piece on the show, but she's a radio reporter by trade - why wouldn't they look to someone like her to do reports, rather than Joe from Phibsboro who may gibber incoherently, or freeze while on air, or whatever?

Why the constant need to knock everyone on radio, even if they're apparently doing good? (Like I say, I didn't hear the piece(s), but from what's been said earlier she's taken time out to go over there and help - good for her)

• Advertisement

Indeed she is.

Strange that.

It's never enough for charity to be done, it must be seen to be done.

What's even more strange is that RTE are using her as a correspondent there when they have people out there on paid assignment?

What's even more strange is that RTE are using her as a correspondent there when they have people out there on paid assignment?

I suppose she's trying to bring a human angle to it, but unfortunately she's striking the wrong chord and is just coming across as extremely patronising with her talk of personally buying toothbrushes and nappies.

I suppose she's trying to bring a human angle to it, but unfortunately she's striking the wrong chord and is just coming across as extremely patronising with her talk of personally buying toothbrushes and nappies.

I am not criticising the lady in any way, just trying to work out why she is being used as a reporter when she is on leave and RTE have people there?

As I see it either send her out as staff, or wait till she gets back and on duty for the 'human angle'.

Not a big deal really, but, well, a bit strange for sure?

As I see it either send her out as staff, or wait till she gets back and on duty for the 'human angle'.

This would be the sensible option right enough.

Now it would be a different story if she was in the country and some major event occurred while she was there and she phoned in a report, no problem with that whatsoever... any half decent journalist would do the same.

What Cox has done has taken a fair amount of planning, by all means volunteer yourself in a humanitarian capacity, but Christ almighty, don't be on the blower to a radio station every day practically boasting about it.

Is this an interview or a comedy sketch I'm listening to?
    If the voice was male I'd think it was Councillor Maurice Hickey I was listening to.

oh great another religous nut job doing their shout down & ears closed argumenting style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Having a giggle listening to travellers having to resort to money lenders.☺☺☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Actually, I thought it was an interesting item. So tired of the vox pops about littering in Wicklow. Much better than this cookery item and Sean querying his own pronunciation of 'ramen'.

Pie in the sky. First time iv ever heard of traveller's going to money lenders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Pie in the sky. First time iv ever heard of traveller's going to money lenders.

Around my way, they are the money lenders!

• Advertisement

We must be neighbours.:D

I had to laugh when they said travelers didn't want to use banks because the tax compliance & money laundering laws required photo ID and utility bills which they don't have. Yea right. It's the photo id and utility bills they have a problem with...

The point that came across to me is that poor travellers borrow from rich travellers at extortionate rates of interest.

[Drifting towards O/T: I know it is easy to regard all travellers as being much the same as one another, but it's not the case.]

Another feature on the plight of a homeless family living in a B&B. I've huge sympathy for the children but why are the parents never challenged on why they think the taxpayer owes them a living, why they are not working, and why they have no relatives (grandparents etc) that they can turn to before bringing their children into this horrific environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

why are the parents never challenged on why they think the taxpayer owes them a living, why they are not working, and why they have no relatives (grandparents etc) that they can turn to before bringing their children into this horrific environment.

Oh, I don't know...It's probably due to the fact that the interviewers have more of an understanding of how these people have become homeless than you do and don't feel the need to judge them as harshly as you. Which, at a guess, would be down to them not sharing your extremely narrow minded worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

Another feature on the plight of a homeless family living in a B&B. I've huge sympathy for the children but why are the parents never challenged on why they think the taxpayer owes them a living, why they are not working, and why they have no relatives (grandparents etc) that they can turn to before bringing their children into this horrific environment.

We as a society have decided that families shouldn't be rendered homeless especially as a result of the negligence and greed of others-we pay for these safeguards in our taxes etc and we agree that this is what we should do.We all have access to this aid should the occasion arise and that's why these unfortunate people assume that they can do the same.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know...It's probably due to the fact that the interviewers have more of an understanding of how these people have become homeless than you do and don't feel the need to judge them as harshly as you. Which, at a guess, would be down to them not sharing your extremely narrow minded worldview.

Well actually it is the complete opposite. The biggest problem in Irish media including the Today show is that the presenters are all forced to buy into a narrow politically correct left wing view that poor people can't be expected to fend for themselves. So they accept as a given that we throw money at them to keep them locked in a self destructive cycle of dependence. Therefore when something goes wrong in their life the first option the interviewer and interviewee turn to is that the taxpayer failed by not spending enough money on sorting out their lives. In other countries we would have more, or at least some, conservative voices in the media to provide a more balanced set of proposals and options. What was needed today was some balance and discussion on why there are 40 families piled into a single B&B and everyone of them is incapable of doing anything to help themselves as they wait for help from the taxpayer who ran out of money years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I know it's petty but I quite enjoyed hearing about DOB's woes getting his IPO away :)

I know it's petty but I quite enjoyed hearing about DOB's woes getting his IPO away :)

Don't enjoy it too much. First item on the agenda of the next cabinet meeting will probably be how to find a way to make the Irish taxpayer pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

'Schaudendenis'!! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement