Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

oh gawd mlod drivel n fawning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

neris wrote: »
    oh gawd mlod drivel n fawning

Second Sean mention her I "move the dial" :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

MLOD

What is a "handy sized" robbery?

another fecking author to drone on in ort speak to us mere plebs

is rte now the broadcaster & mouth piece for:

- The garda representative association
    - gardai who feel hard done by with pay
    - garda families who think their garda relative would be a better garda with a bigger pay packet
    - bitter retired gardai who are so long retired their views have no relevance now a days
    - any garda whos a problem with Noreen O'Sullivan or Frances Fitzgerald or Both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

is rte now the broadcaster & mouth piece for:

- The garda representative association
    - gardai who feel hard done by with pay
    - garda families who think their garda relative would be a better garda with a bigger pay packet
    - bitter retired gardai who are so long retired their views have no relevance now a days
    - any garda whos a problem with Noreen O'Sullivan or Frances Fitzgerald or Both
    Pretty much, it seems. That'll teach a minister under time constraints to give a shortish, reasonably to-the-point interview, and then leave the field clear for a ranty "yes-but-no-but!" panel of givers-outters.

The VP AGSI, having just complained several that there wasn't enough Garda recruitment... eventually admittedly there wasn't the capacity for any more recruitment. Spoofer. Or as she's a GTC apparatchik herself, not wanting to sell the pass on "future productivity payments" if they are asked to train more, perhaps! Essentially ended up implying that the solution was to time-travel back five years, and not make any AGS cuts in the first place. Tell you what, Antoinette, travel back a little further and take out some key members of the previous government, save us all a good deal of trouble...

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Pretty much, it seems. That'll teach a minister under time constraints to give a shortish, reasonably to-the-point interview, and then leave the field clear for a ranty "yes-but-no-but!" panel of givers-outters.

The VP AGSI, having just complained several that there wasn't enough Garda recruitment... eventually admittedly there wasn't the capacity for any more recruitment. Spoofer. Or as she's a GTC apparatchik herself, not wanting to sell the pass on "future productivity payments" if they are asked to train more, perhaps! Essentially ended up implying that the solution was to time-travel back five years, and not make any AGS cuts in the first place. Tell you what, Antoinette, travel back a little further and take out some key members of the previous government, save us all a good deal of trouble...

the other thing the gra shill came out with was a line about there being too much papaerwork to do. im sure if recruiting civilian/civil service people to do the paperwork in the stations while the lads go out on patrol and police theyd be up in arms about that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

the other thing the gra shill came out with was a line about there being too much papaerwork to do. im sure if recruiting civilian/civil service people to do the paperwork in the stations while the lads go out on patrol and police theyd be up in arms about that too

Absolutely. Vote to have ourselves an allowance for having to give our paperwork to a mere civilian to be done, comrades? Passed. </IrishPictorialWeekly sketch-in-the-making>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Re never getting the fine by letter. Ye right.

Are they stupid or something? meaning the state.

Registered post would sort this out plus it would boost An Posts coffers.

Come on Pascal.

court system over drink drivings a joke. Ive had 2 friends caught drink driving in the last 15 years and both of them got away with it coz of the actions of the gardai and the court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

don't worry, your honour about your stammer, listeners are used to Valerie Cox's vocal ticks

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

court system over drink drivings a joke. Ive had 2 friends caught drink driving in the last 15 years and both of them got away with it coz of the actions of the gardai and the court

Remember guards, lawyers, judges etc make their money from criminals being out in the community and free to commit more crimes that come to court. Bear that in mind the next time you hear of some lad getting off on a baffling technicality or mistake on the paperwork that came to light after a lengthy and expensive trial......

fully agree with him over the building of prisons. we need more prison spaces to keep these vermon from wandering in and out of the courts

ah for feck sake not this shill again and his poor builder buddies

• Advertisement

You have to wonder is there a deliberate policy of leaving loopholes in these laws? Must be a great little earner for lots of the legal profession :rolleyes:

Callan57 wrote: »
    You have to wonder is there a deliberate policy of leaving loopholes in these laws? Must be a great little earner for lots of the legal profession :rolleyes:

1st mate went into court for his case, judge out sick so all cases that day thrown out

so tom says to buy a starter home you need 86k in salary and 48k in deposit. and im sure his members will be rushing to lower the prices of their builds if tom gets his way with vat & regulation easing.

57836455.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

SOB obsessing over Haughey and getting in the way of an interesting perspective of Ireland...

The vulgar display of wealth ........

• Advertisement

it sounds crass and souless. i hate seeing that part of the world on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Indeed, you'd feel more at home in a bog than a desert :)

it sounds crass and souless. i hate seeing that part of the world on tv

Nouveau riche :rolleyes:

oh gawd more Orts fawning for another "potential" oscar nominee.

Nouveau riche :rolleyes:

makes the celtic tiger nouveau riche look like paupers

The 'Baad Guys' - American foreign policy summed up by this guest!

"The bad guys" such a silly childish expression

"The bad guys" such a silly childish expression

Hope you're not on the bad guy lists!

this is all getting very dodgy now. yer mans totally contradicting Billy Walsh now

Whatever hope they had of getting Billy Walsh back is gone now. They are basically burning the bridge behind him AND throwing a few incendiary devices over to the US after him by revealing what he thought about the huge amount of money he asked the US for and was surprised when they agreed.

• Advertisement

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you - are they determined to bring down their whole association for this? The IABA is practically run on public funds afaik. Deadly mix of amateurism and professionalism.

Oh man, this is radio gold..

Seems like Mulvey has put the bus in reverse..

A masterclass in civil service speak from Kieran Mulvey here... for more tips read his book "Speaking Without Actually Saying Anything".

"the man is in America". Just shows you how backwards Mulvey's thinking is... Being in America means nothing. I'm sure Billy has been contacted by friends and is listening to the whole thing on the RTE player. And I'm sure if he had any Skype credit he would have phoned in himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

touts wrote: »
    Whatever hope they had of getting Billy Walsh back is gone now. They are basically burning the bridge behind him AND throwing a few incendiary devices over to the US after him by revealing what he thought about the huge amount of money he asked the US for and was surprised when they agreed.

Maybe the US upped the offer after the haul with which Billy and the boys came back from Doha?? Des Cahill was very defensive when the US offer was mentioned. Kieran Mulvey really waffling here! :(

Seems like Mulvey has put the bus in reverse..

A masterclass in civil service speak from Kieran Mulvey here... for more tips read his book "Speaking Without Actually Saying Anything".

Absolutely! Even Sean lost patience with his nothing speak!

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Absolutely! Even Sean lost patience with his nothing speak!

Nah - he was just doing his job very well. Avoiding direct confrontation in public and choosing when, what and where to say it. Making enemies of Sport Ireland is a very bad move for the boxing assoc. Only one winner there..

this is all getting very dodgy now. yer mans totally contradicting Billy Walsh now

Loved Sean's comment that Billy, not the IABA, bought his ticket to the US. He keeps referring to
    the handshake between Billy and Joe Chrystal.
    Seems to believe Joe.

"the man is in America". Just shows you how backwards Mulvey's thinking is... Being in America means nothing. I'm sure Billy has been contacted by friends and is listening to the whole thing on the RTE player. And I'm sure if he had any Skype credit he would have phoned in himself...

I'd say Billy might even have been listening to it live on streaming but had the cop on not to phone into that clusterf**k. No one was coming out of that interview smelling of roses.

• Advertisement

No doubt to repeat the mantra that 'money had nothing to do with his decision' to accept the 'crazy' offer from the US!! ;)

Peadar Toibin "MI5 is a combatant in the war in Ireland"

Hey Peadar, I'm pretty sure the official line from the party is "MI5 was a combatant in the war in Ireland".

I wonder what happened over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

Mulvey can quote from Billy's contract but Others can't cos Billy is now in the US, bullcrap.

As for Des 'boot polish hair' Cahill acting like a whinging beeotch, Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's funny. RTE have given more airtime to this controversy in the last week than they have given to actual boxing matches in the last 5 years.

touts wrote: »
    Peadar Toibin "MI5 is a combatant in the war in Ireland"

Hey Peadar, I'm pretty sure the official line from the party is "MI5 was a combatant in the war in Ireland".

Have the hymnsheets been mislaid? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kenny B wrote: »
    Mulvey can quote from Billy's contract but Others can't cos Billy is now in the US, bullcrap.

As for Des 'boot polish hair' Cahill acting like a whinging beeotch, Christ.

Thought Des would burst a blood vessel when Joe Chrystal related the anecdote of Billy coming into his office to tell him that he had asked the Americans for 'crazy' money and they had agreed to it - Billy then asked Joe 'what can you do for me?' Des's intervention was classic!!! :)

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Thought Des would burst a blood vessel when Joe Chrystal related the anecdote of Billy coming into his office to tell him that he had asked the Americans for 'crazy' money and they had agreed to it - Billy then asked Joe 'what can you do for me?' Des's intervention was classic!!! :)

Not sure I would take anything at face value from that interview - the hostility towards Billy Walsh was apparent for all to hear and the IABA rep probably said more than he intended to.

These are the comments that Kieran Mulvey was reported to have made earlier this week. And I think everybody was a little surprised at how direct and accusatory his remarks were, particularly given his background.
    "I got so upset at that meeting that towards the end I had to ask the directors present: ‘Do you want to keep Billy Walsh?’ I got an answer saying ‘yes they did’. It was the most unconvincing yes I’ve heard in my professional career."

"Imagine Joe Scmidt being told he had to contact Phillip Brown every time he selected a team or he could talk to the media. This in unconscionable and it’s unacceptable."

"How is it that we've got to this stage? How is it that on 24 hours before Billy Walsh departs for the United States to take up an appointment that will put him in direct challenge with Ireland that all they say is a one paragraph ‘thank you very much and goodbye’. I've never seen such crocodile tears in my life.”

"In my five years as chairman of the Irish Sporting Council, it would be my view that what we’ve been trying to manage over the last five years is a dysfunctional arrangement. I’m putting it mildly when I say that. Gross disrespect has been show to us and the minister around this matter and it can’t be allowed to go on."

But in the interview today, it was as if he'd never made the remarks at all. He said absolutely nothing and didnt try to address or substantiate any of the points that he made above. He even backed away from the Joe Schmidt analogy when it was put to him.

Putting Mulvey to one side, it seems to me like there is something missing. The original narrative was that the IABA had agreed a deal with Billy Walsh, which they said they would put to their board, but NEVER did. The IABA say that they offered Billy Walsh a deal and he never got back to them. The inference being that Billy Walsh had agreed to the deal but changed his mind some time after the Marian Finucane interview on Saturday.

But in the interview today, it was as if he'd never made the remarks at all. He said absolutely nothing and didnt try to address or substantiate any of the points that he made above.

But that's because he's a professional negotiator, has the inside track and knows where the balance of power lies in this dispute. Those phrases you quote above would have been chosen carefully and thought out.

BarryD wrote: »
    Not sure I would take anything at face value from that interview - the hostility towards Billy Walsh was apparent for all to hear and the IABA rep probably said more than he intended to.

Joe Chrystal from the IABA seemed to have been genuinely perplexed at what happened between the Saturday when Billy Walsh spoke to Marian Finucane and a few days later when he announced he was resigning. Thought he was quite convincing on Newstalk's Pat Kenny and
    Seán O'Rourke this morning.

It seems to me that all these statements from every quarter, especially from his friend George Lawlor? from Wexford, that 'it is not about the money', are cases of 'he doth protest too much'!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement