Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Hmm.. Brooke, you must have your own hat in the ring somewhere so to speak? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

BarryD wrote: »
    But that's because he's a professional negotiator, has the inside track and knows where the balance of power lies in this dispute. Those phrases you quote above would have been chosen carefully and thought out.

But that's my point Barry. He made no reference to ANY of the criticisms that he had of the IABA in the interview today. He was like a man who realised he had gone too far and was backing away from his remarks.

tbh, the politically correct waffle that he came out today would have been exactly what I would have expected him to say when he was asked about it previously.

But that's my point Barry. He made no reference to ANY of the criticisms that he had of the IABA in the interview today. He was like a man who realised he had gone too far and was backing away from his remarks.

tbh, the politically correct waffle that he came out today would have been exactly what I would have expected him to say when he was asked about it previously.

Perhaps, but you'd suspect the powder was being kept dry with the real questions being asked shortly and the answers will lie in how funding is managed for the IABA going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It seems to me that Billy Walsh's version was put before the public before the IABA said anything, and that a number of commentators (plus players like John Treacy and Kieran Mulvey) took positions in support of him. To be fair to Seán O'Rourke, he took care not to show any bias, either earlier this week or today.

It now looks to me as if the IABA might have a case, and I'm waiting to see how things play out.

Joe Christle is not an accomplished media performer, but we should look past the performance to the substance of the story.

This juror is still out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It seems to me that Billy Walsh's version was put before the public before the IABA said anything, and that a number of commentators (plus players like John Treacy and Kieran Mulvey) took positions in support of him. To be fair to Seán O'Rourke, he took care not to show any bias, either earlier this week or today.

It now looks to me as if the IABA might have a case, and I'm waiting to see how things play out.

Joe Christle is not an accomplished media performer, but we should look past the performance to the substance of the story.

This juror is still out.

Agree there P, certainly there is a lot more there than meets the eye, a lot more.

Will the taxpayer ever hear the full story, don't hold your breath.

This juror is still out.

Neither John Treacy or Kieran Mulvey can be described as 'players'. They are senior people in a state body that dispenses public money to sports organisations & bodies of all sorts. They are answerable to politicans and public opinion. They seem to have made it clear that they wanted Billy Walsh to be retained and were prepared to fund his salary. In those circumstances, it's astonishing that the IABA contrived to lose his services - when you hear phrases like 'reservations about corporate governance' and so on being carefully offered up - you'd have to be concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

This juror is still out.

+1 lots more questions for all after that interview, Des Cahill was a buffoon

Neither John Treacy or Kieran Mulvey can be described as 'players'. They are senior people in a state body that dispenses public money to sports organisations & bodies of all sorts. They are answerable to politicans and public opinion. They seem to have made it clear that they wanted Billy Walsh to be retained and were prepared to fund his salary. In those circumstances, it's astonishing that the IABA contrived to lose his services - when you hear phrases like 'reservations about corporate governance' and so on being carefully offered up - you'd have to be concerned.
    The sense in which I used the word players was that they are parties in the scenario, not outsiders: they have a role to play.

I was surprised by their public pronouncements earlier in the week - not at all in keeping with the traditions of public service. Even their political master, Michael Ring, a man not known for being reserved, seems to have been more circumspect.

I was surprised by their public pronouncements earlier in the week - not at all in keeping with the traditions of public service.

Quite and the fact that they were moved to make them is perhaps telling??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I wouldn't rule out good old fashioned incompetence in the Billy Walsh saga - certainly sounds like "someone" dropped the ball

• Advertisement

Have we any update on this. I'm still confused. I wonder will Marian Finucane make any reference to it today?

Paul Williams "maybe I'm too close to the Guards ...." yea, right Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Marcella Corcoran-Kennedy on now: It's tough being a mum and TD but it's worth it

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/marcella-corcorankennedy-its-tough-being-a-mum-and-td-but-its-worth-it-29430560.html

Why is it condoned by society that it's part of "the culture" to give your kids the worst possible start in life. The Traveller kids really get the worst deal.

Anyone would have happy memories of a childhood that involved no school & running around doing whatever you liked whenever & wherever you liked. For most kids that called school holidays!

Why is it condoned by society that it's part of "the culture" to give your kids the worst possible start in life. The Traveller kids really get the worst deal.

Because of 'the culture'. Lots of positive things about traveller culture and plenty of negatives but it seems you have to buy into the lot, all for one and one for all.

I think one of the problems for travellers is that there's no one set of solutions that would suit all their needs. It's almost as if each family group wants the freedom and supports to live as they see fit. Some want housing, some don't, some want the option of travelling but in reality would stick to a single 'halting site' for years. Others want the flexibility to move around and so on.

I was a touch surprised to hear the woman from the traveller organisation there calling for better supports for education - educating the children and giving them career paths is one sure fire way of ending traveller culture?

Because of 'the culture'. Lots of positive things about traveller culture and plenty of negatives but it seems you have to buy into the lot, all for one and one for all.

I think one of the problems for travellers is that there's no one set of solutions that would suit all their needs. It's almost as if each family group wants the freedom and supports to live as they see fit. Some want housing, some don't, some want the option of travelling but in reality would stick to a single 'halting site' for years. Others want the flexibility to move around and so on.

I was a touch surprised to hear the woman from the traveller organisation there calling for better supports for education - educating the children and giving them career paths is one sure fire way of ending traveller culture?

Of course it would hasten the end of the so-called culture when people (especially women) are educated they want more choice, more options and move on from the "dependency mindset".
    Education as Irish parents & grandparents learned in past generations is the key & the only answer. But of course, you have those stuck in the past who fear change & resist it in the name of "culture".

Callan57 wrote: »
    Of course it would hasten the end of the so-called culture when people (especially women) are educated they want more choice, more options and move on from the "dependency mindset".
    Education as Irish parents & grandparents learned in past generations is the key & the only answer. But of course, you have those stuck in the past who fear change & resist it in the name of "culture".

But that's why I found it puzzling, same as many things connected with travellers. Can't recall name of the woman, but she was heading up a travellers rights organisation and campaigning for better education for travellers, which inevitably will lead to a diminution of their culture. But just a few breaths previously, she was extolling the need to preserve and stabilise this culture. Mixed messages..

Shane Ross seems to believe that Stepaside in Dublin is 'Rural Ireland' - everytime I hear this, I have to laugh. Sure you could be down in Dundrum Shopping Centre in a few minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

That union guy on about the fishing industry should sort his anger management issues. What an aggresive, rude & intolerent "contributor". Some wild numbers been thrown around about illegal exploited crewmen

Current slot on Seans show is CLEARLY an advertisement for a clinic that provides IVF for maturing single women

he's 6ft 4. Would you have looked for a refund if he had been 5ft 4?

Is that guy for real? We have thousands of people desperate to know who their biological parents were? Has he been under a rock the last few years ...

I have zero respect for weirdos that deny children full knowledge of their parents

neris wrote: »
    That union guy on about the fishing industry should sort his anger management issues. What an aggresive, rude & intolerent "contributor". Some wild numbers been thrown around about illegal exploited crewmen

Yes, got the same impression myself.

• Advertisement

I hear a Travellers representative on the show today, complaining about 'lack of engagement with the state'

I would start with engagement with the Revenue,the ESB,The cleansing and litter departments,the VAT and car tax,NCT and insurance,the animals act.

That would be a good start.

the only ones who seem think "travellers" are an ethnic group are travellers. they were spouting the same muck on pat kenny the other day. theres a real us and them attitude with the travellers

as a catholic dublin male can i have my ethnicity recognized as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Sinn Fein and Gerry Adams want to give travellers ethnicity and a blank cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is there money it becoming recognised as an ethnic minority Why are they banging on all the fookin time. Totally agree with Brendan post above.They haven't a hope until they start to comply with the laws of the land.

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Sinn Fein and Gerry Adams want to give travellers ethnicity and a blank cheque.

SinnFein and Gerry Adams have always been enemies of this State

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

neris wrote: »
    the only ones who seem think "travellers" are an ethnic group are travellers. they were spouting the same muck on pat kenny the other day. theres a real us and them attitude with the travellers

And a new word - 'othering' - was introduced to our vocabulary! I thought Ian O'Doherty would burst a blood vessel!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Is Diarmuid Ferriter the only historian in Ireland?

brooke 2 wrote: »
    And a new word - 'othering' - was introduced to our vocabulary!
    It's not brand new: it's been around for a few years. I think it is a useful word.
    I thought Ian O'Doherty would burst a blood vessel!! :)
    He puts his blood vessels in danger most days. I enjoy hearing extremists (of the right or left) becoming apoplectic.

Is Diarmuid Ferriter the only historian in Ireland?
    He's one of the better communicators among Irish historians. And he is very energetic.

He's one of the better communicators among Irish historians. And he is very energetic.

he is, hes not up his own hole like some of the historians you hear on the history shows speaking down to the little people in a condescending tone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Indeed. He is very good. It is his ubiquity within RTE that puzzles me :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Berkieahern

He does a lot on Newstalk aswell!

;)c

Ucd is quite close to Montrose.

While not doubting his integrity and knowledge, all he ever seems to do over the radio platforms is bleat for more money for stuff.

Everything seems to come down to "the State needs to put more money(taxpayers money) into this that and the other"

Check it out.

Understand these dudes are very highly paid and seems to me that academia,whilst fulfilling an important function,can ,as Brendán often demonstrates,be a tad strident and blinkered into thinking the great unwashed are greatly concerned about the stuff they are involved in and want to horse money in to them.

That my take on the bould Breandān

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Same lady being interviewed right now as on Pat Kenny...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Same lady being interviewed right now as on Pat Kenny...

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh god this poor woman. :(

We live in the sunny south east, a heavily enough populated part - if I had to call an ambulance, I think you'd be looking at 45 mins at best. Enniscorthy is probably the closest at 30 km, but if they were on call elsewhere - it'd have to come from Wexford town or Kilkenny or Tallaght etc. So always find it striking when I hear people worry if an ambulance doesn't get to them in 20 mins etc.

We live in the sunny south east, a heavily enough populated part - if I had to call an ambulance, I think you'd be looking at 45 mins at best. Enniscorthy is probably the closest at 30 km, but if they were on call elsewhere - it'd have to come from Wexford town or Kilkenny or Tallaght etc. So always find it striking when I hear people worry if an ambulance doesn't get to them in 20 mins etc.

Same situation where I live but realistically how can you have an ambulance standing by at every street corner? Even if you had an unlimited supply of ambulances there would still be occasions when situations like this would arise.

Just highlights why everyone should do a First Aid course

More poor entitled travellers.!!!

Councillor talking lots of sense alert..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can't believe I heard a councillor actually say that, he will probably get pulled over the coals for telling it like it is.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I can't believe I heard a councillor actually say that, he will probably get pulled over the coals for telling it like it is.

Even though he's FF,after that I'd vote for him :)

NIMAN wrote: »

Councilor O'Flynn, at last someone with a pair.

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    Just highlights why everyone should do a First Aid course

+1 and again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement