Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Mooching around ... great expression there from Seán :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Is Diarmuid Ferriter the only historian in Ireland?

RTE believe that James Larkin and Padraic Pearse created the world sometime around 1912. Nothing of note happened in the universe before then. Diarmuid is a "Professor of Modern Irish History" (slightly old current affairs). It's a match made in heaven.

No decent historian bothers with RTE any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

The media and politicians seem to think that the 'homeless crisis' will be high on the forthcoming election agenda. Do they think we're thick? Homelessness bad and all as it is, only affects a relatively small number of our citizens and by and large those who don't vote anyways. The vast majority of the electorate will focus on 'mé féin' - the amount of money in their pockets and other local issues etc. Thus it has always been.

Is this genius for real? I'd love a swimming pool & a helipad should the Local Authority (the taxpayer) provide this for me too?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Callan57 wrote: »
    Is this genius for real? I'd love a swimming pool & a helipad should the Local Authority (the taxpayer) provide this for me too?????

Paul Murphy will be making part of his election manifesto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

BarryD wrote: »
    The media and politicians seem to think that the 'homeless crisis' will be high on the forthcoming election agenda. Do they think we're thick? Homelessness bad and all as it is, only affects a relatively small number of our citizens and by and large those who don't vote anyways. The vast majority of the electorate will focus on 'mé féin' - the amount of money in their pockets and other local issues etc. Thus it has always been.

It will, but the two might interact. People in private rented properties might be panicking about rent rises. People who own private rental properties may be all up in arms about how-very-dare-they constrain my constitutional rights to scalp my tenants in any manner I wish. If the government's got the balance in its measures wrong, it might be onto a hiding from the both ends at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Well he's a Shinner and sure when they get in there'll be so much cash for absolutely everything, that I suspect if you ask nicely you may indeed get it ... :rolleyes:

Pearse Doherty would want to sit down with these knobs before the GE and tell them what's what ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

That was just a puff piece. Sinn Fein needed one of their members to appear human so Pierce was wheeled out to talk about his heritage growing up as a traveler in Ireland while living in a house in Birmingham. Sort of like Sinn Fein talking about their fight for justice in Ireland.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    It will, but the two might interact. People in private rented properties might be panicking about rent rises. People who own private rental properties may be all up in arms about how-very-dare-they constrain my constitutional rights to scalp my tenants in any manner I wish. If the government's got the balance in its measures wrong, it might be onto a hiding from the both ends at once.

The 'homeless crisis' and the problems in the rental sector are related but they are two quite different animals. I'd agree that rental issues may well play a part in the election but people with rental problems are by definition in housing - they're not on the streets or in B&B's etc. It's unlikely that large numbers will be thrown out of their accommodation / houses by landlords or the courts, though there'll always be a number of ongoing cases. So talk of the homeless crisis having an effect on the election tends to be the opinion typically of agencies looking for more funding.

bit insensitive there of conor faulknin with his comments about how susceptible we are to 3 vehicles closing the M50 down. Wasnt exactly like they had a fender bender

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

neris wrote: »
    bit insensitive there of conor faulknin with his comments about how susceptible we are to 3 vehicles closing the M50 down. Wasnt exactly like they had a fender bender
    Yeah and talking about muppets on mobile phones causing gridlock, when he doesn't have any idea what caused the accident this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Yeah and talking about muppets on mobile phones causing gridlock, when he doesn't have any idea what caused the accident this morning.
    In fairness, he did say he didn't know what happened.
    I see his point about muppets (and that's being generous). There's a pedestrian crossing at our local school which is on the main road north to Donegal from most places further south. Every day I see people in cars and trucks going through the red light, texting and calling, while driving at speeds well in excess of the 50k limit. They should be pulled out and have the shyte kicked out of them. It's only a matter of time before a child is killed or seriously injured. One local guy spent a few mornings filming drivers but got taken in by the cops for having recording equipment outside a school.

sligojoek wrote: »
    In fairness, he did say he didn't know what happened.
    I see his point about muppets (and that's being generous). There's a pedestrian crossing at our local school which is on the main road north to Donegal from most places further south. Every day I see people in cars and trucks going through the red light, texting and calling, while driving at speeds well in excess of the 50k limit. They should be pulled out and have the shyte kicked out of them. It's only a matter of time before a child is killed or seriously injured. One local guy spent a few mornings filming drivers but got taken in by the cops for having recording equipment outside a school.

Something else that we need to come down heavy on is parents pushing a buggy with one hand while texting with the other hand. Clearly they do not have full control over the vehicle they are steering & nearly took the legs off me yesterday ... it's a BIG problem :mad:

Something else that we need to come down heavy on is parents pushing a buggy with one hand while texting with the other hand. Clearly they do not have full control over the vehicle they are steering & nearly took the legs off me yesterday ... it's a BIG problem :mad:

Ah sure, just be done with it and ban mobile phones altogether. That'll solve all these issues :)

Ah sure, just be done with it and ban mobile phones babies altogether. That'll solve all these issues :)

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ah sure, just be done with it and ban mobile phones altogether. That'll solve all these issues :)

Now I know that was written in jest, but it highlights an issue

What issue Brenner, I hear you articulate.

The forking issue of banning the forking item rather than hammering the forker misusing the item!!

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

US embassy spokesperson: why use the minimum amount of words and answer the question you've been asked, when you can use multiples of what you need and not answer the question asked.

Call me Al wrote: »
    US embassy spokesperson: why use the minium amount of words and answer the question you've been asked, when you can use multiples of what you need and not answer the question asked.

No you just read the pre-prepared script repeatedly regardless of the question asked :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

No you just read the pre-prepared script repeatedly regardless of the question asked :cool:

Spot on! And exactly that occurred to me halfway through the whole spiel she gave. Keelan could have asked her anything. This director of policy or somesuch had her own Q&As ready to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

I was about to reply to this and say did Seán not call her out on it until I read this ...
    Call me Al wrote: »
    Keelan could have asked her anything.
    That explains it - and the difference in wages between Seán and Keelan ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

serfboard wrote: »
    I was about to reply to this and say did Seán not call her out on it until I read this ...

That explains it - and the difference in wages between Seán and Keelan ... ;)

I don't believe Keelan even listens to the answers given to her questions!
    :mad:

Somthing seriously corrupt & wrong in the gardai and media if someones been investigated, they dont know theyre been investigated but the media are throwing the 1 name around wildly

Does this now mean that everyy former minister is going to have to contact a journalist & deny they are the person that was referred to in newspaper article?

Former ministers are not a huge group of people & IMO this kind of slur thrown out with no evidence, no process and totally impossible to defend against is an utter disgrace. IMO the "editor" of the so calls newspaper should be considering his position

I don't usually find Oliver Callan all that funny but I just love The Vrad Car :):)

Forget the court system just make it the legal system according to the irish independent & joe duffy. I would love to see carey been proved innocent and the ex minister in question and take that independent rag to court and sues the bollox of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

who was that windbag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

SOR seems to be taking alot of time off?

No problem for me I like Keelin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

who was that windbag?

Keelin Shanley. :)

Greenman wrote: »
    No problem for me I like Keelin.

Problem is suddenly that today we have a stand-in for the stand-in! :eek:

• Advertisement

Forget the court system just make it the legal system according to the irish independent & joe duffy. I would love to see carey been proved innocent and the ex minister in question and take that independent rag to court and sues the bollox of them.

Trouble is that as the Indo didn't actually name him, they'd argue that it wasn't reasonably foreseeable that he'd be identified on the basis of the information in the article. That's if he even has been correctly identified, of course!

Problem is suddenly that today we have a stand-in for the stand-in! :eek:

What's goin on there?

Brophy is passable apart from a penchant to pronounce some words in a strange way, such as 'disruptive ' as ' dissrooptive',and 'money' as ' munny'.

Would find it hard to hack that stuff for two hours:mad:

What's goin on there?
    One imagines that either SO'R's holiers/"on assignment"/sick note is getting so long that Keelin's suffering burnout, or perhaps more likely, the powers that be don't want any one person getting their feet too comfy under the desk and getting ideas above their present pay grade.
    Brophy is passable apart from a penchant to pronounce some words in a strange way, such as 'disruptive ' as ' dissrooptive',and 'money' as ' munny'.
    I don't find Brophy objectionable in small doses, but I think of him in the category of wet-behind-the-ears business reporter with a nasty case of the Dort-speaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Shanley was presenting Morning Ireland this morning. I'd assume that takes priority over the Today show.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Shanley was presenting Morning Ireland this morning. I'd assume that takes priority over the Today show.

Good point, I'd forgotten that, partly as I only caught a little bit of it (before hastily turning off the radio in a Tubridy Alert situation). But KS is a regular MI presenter, so it can't be a strict priority, otherwise she'd never do anything else. On occasion we've had cascading fill-ins, like Aine doing another show, and Shaddin standing in for her on The Week in Politics...

And it's a Phil-In Boucher-Hayes day on Liveline. Early skiing holidays for the Montrose set, perhaps?

• Advertisement

One imagines that either SO'R's holiers/"on assignment"/sick note is getting so long that Keelin's suffering burnout, or perhaps more likely, the powers that be don't want any one person getting their feet too comfy under the desk and getting ideas above their present pay grade.

I don't find Brophy objectionable in small doses, but I think of him in the category of wet-behind-the-ears business reporter with a nasty case of the Dort-speaks.[/j

Yes, correct, very nasty in my opinion,half-tolerable over a short period, but two hours--it's off button for Breno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Real whiff of third sub off Brophy this morning.

Is he in the seat for the week?
    I missed his closing link.

Trouble is that as the Indo didn't actually name him, they'd argue that it wasn't reasonably foreseeable that he'd be identified on the basis of the information in the article. That's if he even has been correctly identified, of course!

Why would someone resign over something
    in the paper which does not mention him by
    name? The general public did not know the
    ex-Minister involved until Pat Carey's solicitor
    issued a statement on his behalf. Why didn't
    FF circle the wagons for Pat Carey, just as they
    did for some scurrilous politicians in the past?
    If you were innocent, would you not fight tooth and nail against such accusations, knowing that
    there was no basis for them? You most certainly would not resign from every organisation with which you were connected!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Why would someone resign over something
    in the paper which does not mention him by
    name? The general public did not know the
    ex-Minister involved until Pat Carey's solicitor
    issued a statement on his behalf. Why didn't
    FF circle the wagons for Pat Carey, just as they
    did for some scurrilous politicians in the past?
    If you were innocent, would you not fight tooth and nail against such accusations, knowing that
    there was no basis for them? You most certainly would not resign from every organisation with which you were connected!!
    Why hold an investigation into any allegations made? Why, if there seems to be sufficient reason, conduct a trial? Just lock him up.

Why hold an investigation into any allegations made? Why, if there seems to be sufficient reason, conduct a trial? Just lock him up.

Why open your mouth if your name has not been mentioned in the publication?
    Why not allow the general public to keep wondering?
    Why would you think that allegations, regarding an unknown person, of which you
    first became aware when you read about them in the papers, (as Pat Carey has
    stated), might refer to you?

If Pat Carey is innocent, I do feel sorry for him. If there is truth in the allegations,
    isn't it time the victims' complaints were investigated? It seems to me he folded
    very easily. If I were innocent, I would not he 'devastated' by something which
    I read in the papers which does not even mention my name!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Why open your mouth if your name has not been mentioned in the publication? ...
    Because, apparently, his name was being mentioned on social media.

Because, apparently, his name was being mentioned on social media.

A lot of things are mentioned in social media which never get into mainstream
    media. He could have held strong. FF dropped him like a hot potato, in spite of
    Timmy Dooley's denials that a 'crisis' meeting was held the night before Pat Carey's
    solicitor announced his resignation from the party. Not much loyalty displayed to
    one of their most steadfast members in his hour of need! Not one word of thanks
    to him for all services rendered down through the years.

Nobody has a read on Northern Ireland to match Eamonn Mallie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

He is fascinating!

He sounds like what that MLOD plonker wants to be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Only I learned on SO'R today is that Dave Fanning comes across as an even bigger w@nker than I had imagined !

Still remember how he sneered at folks who bought tickets for the Garth Brooks concerts.

Only I learned on SO'R today is that Dave Fanning comes across as an even bigger w@nker than I had imagined !

Still remember how he sneered at folks who bought tickets for the Garth Brooks concerts.

lots of people sneered at folks who bought tickets for tickets for garth brooks :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

lots of people sneered at folks who bought tickets for tickets for garth brooks :P

Probably ! Cool people like yourself and Fanning I would presume ?:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It would have taken 10 minutes to clean that poor aul fella up and give him his dignity back

all staff to run off their feet to give him 10 minutes assistance Mr Doran????

bullsh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

It would have taken 10 minutes to clean that poor aul fella up and give him his dignity back

all staff to run off their feet to give him 10 minutes assistance Mr Doran????

bullsh1t

What person with a 'degree' would lower themselves to clean some poor unfortunate up?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement