Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

twinks daughter getting the foot in the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Michael Martin is doing a woeful job of selling himself and his party.

Imagine that.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Imagine that.

He was embarrassingly awful.

Listening to Tom and Christ how many gigs has he had ? Mehole waffled and didn't sell me on himself.

twinks daughter getting the foot in the door

To be fair not sept she is actually fierce talented. All jokes aside. That Celtic women are really good.

• Advertisement

To be fair not sept she is actually fierce talented. All jokes aside. That Celtic women are really good.

To be fair, she isn't doing too bad a job of the second song. Might be just my taste in music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

BarryD wrote: »
    Tom Parlon wants to speed up the Shannon, rush the water down. If the people of Athlone, Killaloe and Limerick thought they have problems now, they'd better watch out for Tom. He'll have them all under six feet of water.

He,ll have them under 6 foot of water but will happily push for his members to build a new town on higher ground

****ing scumbag laughing hes off to prison in the afternoon then whining he has 7 kids to look after and cant pay fines. Oh and hes previous time inside aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Not so sure about the Celtic Women bit but she sure handled the awkward questions well. Palmed Seanie off fairly handily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

50 pints a week wind up text:D

• Advertisement

Who's this looper?

Ah.. Canon Andrew White, vicar of Baghdad apparently! That was kinda different anyway :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Who's this looper?

Surprised @ RTE for having him on

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Who's this looper?

He might be a well-intentioned, knowing man, but what a pompous git!

Can someone explain to me why people in towns that have had flood defences installed are so keen to have flood insurance. Is it a technical thing for loan and mortgage purposes? You'd think that if the flood defences work, you wouldn't need cover. If the defences do not work then the insurance companies have a right to be suspicious. Either way, why is this such a big issue??

Can someone explain to me why people in towns that have had flood defences installed are so keen to have flood insurance. Is it a technical thing for loan and mortgage purposes? You'd think that if the flood defences work, you wouldn't need cover. If the defences do not work then the insurance companies have a right to be suspicious. Either way, why is this such a big issue??

I agree and have asked myself the same question, you really wonder why the hacks can't peel the onion...

Then again, perhaps we expect too much from the 'talented' Sean O'Rourke who when interviewing Donald Trump last year merely lay like a snake in the grass to ultimately embarrassingly sneer and quiz Trump on his hair

It is puzzling - the needs of the people that have been flooded are surely far more pressing than the argument that those who have been helped with flood barriers can't get insurance. By their own admission the barriers worked and they didn't get flooded. Bit of a straw horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

my friend wrote: »
    I agree and have asked myself the same question, you really wonder why the hacks can't peel the onion...

Then again, perhaps we expect too much from the 'talented' Sean O'Rourke who when interviewing Donald Trump last year merely lay like a snake in the grass to ultimately embarrassingly sneer and quiz Trump on his hair

I imagine its called peace of mind ... you might just as easily ask why those of us in non-flood prone areas still want food cover when we know we are highly unlikely ever to be flooded? :confused:

Callan57 wrote: »
    I imagine its called peace of mind ... you might just as easily ask why those of us in non-flood prone areas still want food cover when we know we are highly unlikely ever to be flooded? :confused:

Maybe, but I couldn't tell you if our house insurance covers floods. Not an issue or concern as it'd be very unlikely to happen so I won't be digging out the policy to check. People are usually concerned to have cover against specific threats that they think might affect them.

Maybe, but I couldn't tell you if our house insurance covers floods. Not an issue or concern as it'd be very unlikely to happen so I won't be digging out the policy to check. People are usually concerned to have cover against specific threats that they think might affect them.

Recalling activities surrounding the 2009 floods in a certain town perhaps the insurance companies are refusing cover for other reasons they won't disclose, it was amazing the amount of laptops that were left on the floors of claimants homes, a certain councillor was advising people how to maximise their 'gains'

I travel a bit around the country and I think the minor roads in Wexford are as bad as anywhere and worse than most. I don't know how some people manage to live on them and travel them on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Depends on how much you trust the flood defences. They might be OK now but what state will they be in in 10 years when the council hasn't looked at them since they were built. What about 20 years. If you lived beside a flood defense built by basically the same lowest bidder process who brought you Irish Water and the Health service you'd want insurance also. If you were an insurance company you wouldn't be in a rush to bet your money on it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I travel a bit around the country and I think the minor roads in Wexford are as bad as anywhere and worse than most. I don't know how some people manage to live on them and travel them on a regular basis.

Once you go off the national primary network the quality nationwide is very very poor. In a lot of cases roads that were last "resurfaced" by the uncle of the campaign manager for Cllr Gombeen were just not up to scratch as soon as they are complete never mind after a few years of wear and tear. In the past we got away with it because every few years Cllr Gombeen would look after his mates with a new contract to fix the botched job they did last time. Now there is no money so the poor quality work is coming to the surface (literally).

touts wrote: »
    Once you go off the national primary network the quality nationwide is very very poor. In a lot of cases roads that were last "resurfaced" by the uncle of the campaign manager for Cllr Gombeen were just not up to scratch as soon as they are complete never mind after a few years of wear and tear. In the past we got away with it because every few years Cllr Gombeen would look after his mates with a new contract to fix the botched job they did last time. Now there is no money so the poor quality work is coming to the surface (literally).

Paul Melia made some interesting points, perhaps it's the case that a long hard look will need to be made of the rural road network and decisions made to abandon repairs of a proportion. There's parts of rural Ireland that have extraordinary dense networks of roads, mazes unless you know them. If this is done, the public should watch very carefully to ensure that public rights of way are maintained on 'decommissioned' roads. There's many an old county road and railway that has been quietly absorbed back into local landownership by means of simply squatters rights and now causing all sorts of problems when people want to use them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Is it not just that they are looking for any house/business insurance though? Or can you get policies that specifically exclude flood cover?

my friend wrote: »
    Sean O'Rourke who when interviewing Donald Trump last year merely lay like a snake in the grass to ultimately embarrassingly sneer and quiz Trump on his hair
    I remember at the time thinking that it was a fairly poor interview, and given what Trump has been saying since, I'd say Sean will look back on that one as not one of his proudest achievements.

Remember too though, that our Minister for Finance also tipped the forelock to The Don, when meeting him off his plane at Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

serfboard wrote: »
    I remember at the time thinking that it was a fairly poor interview, and given what Trump has been saying since, I'd say Sean will look back on that one as not one of his proudest achievements.

Remember too though, that our Minister for Finance also tipped the forelock to The Don, when meeting him off his plane at Shannon.

Well, maybe if The Don was providing a lot of employment in a place,I would suggest would not be a hub of industry, I do t see too much wrong with that?

Do you?

Well, maybe if The Don was providing a lot of employment in a place,I would suggest would not be a hub of industry, I do t see too much wrong with that?

Do you?
    Yes I do considering:

a) the obnoxiousnesses and egomania of the individual concerned which was well known before his presidential run.

b) the amount of jobs involved. Exactly how many are employed in Doonbeg?

c) even if you could give some credit for a politician meeting an employer in their constituency, Trump's resort is in Doonbeg and Michael Noonan's constituency is Limerick City

When I saw it happening I thought "Is this a thing now?" Do politicians (and specifically Ministers) have to meet businesspeople off planes? What will happen if they don't? Will the businesspeople get so offended that they'll pick up the ball turn around and head home? Had the Minister for Finance nothing else he could be doing?

In reality of course I know how this works. A PR firm contacted the Minister and told him that Trump was coming and that there would be TV cameras there and Michael was only too happy to oblige.

I know politicians need a profile to get (re)elected. But for God's sake, be a bit judicious in what you do, and don't go pandering to a wealthy buffoon like Trump for a few little jobeens.

serfboard wrote: »
    Yes I do considering:

a) the obnoxiousnesses and egomania of the individual concerned which was well known before his presidential run.

b) the amount of jobs involved. Exactly how many are employed in Doonbeg?

c) even if you could give some credit for a politician meeting an employer in their constituency, Trump's resort is in Doonbeg and Michael Noonan's constituency is Limerick City

When I saw it happening I thought "Is this a thing now?" Do politicians (and specifically Ministers) have to meet businesspeople off planes? What will happen if they don't? Will the businesspeople get so offended that they'll pick up the ball turn around and head home? Had the Minister for Finance nothing else he could be doing?

In reality of course I know how this works. A PR firm contacted the Minister and told him that Trump was coming and that there would be TV cameras there and Michael was only too happy to oblige.

I know politicians need a profile to get (re)elected. But for God's sake, be a bit judicious in what you do, and don't go pandering to a wealthy buffoon like Trump for a few little jobeens.

Hmmm.. Something tells me you are a tad removed from Doonbeg and the employment and the ancillary spin off from the development and its customers.

Wealthy buffoon!!

Now I don't like Trump any more than you seem to, but to get to his position, he cannot be a buffoon surely.

Now I would suggest that in a place like Doonbeg, anyone who brings in 'fame and fortune' to what is a beautifull but remote and let's face it,hotbed of unemployment would get the full support of the locals who would welcome a senior Govt official easing the path to good stable employment.

Only ones, it seems to me who would see anything wrong with this, are punters who have no interest in the place and have some agenda to plug.

That's just me,like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

So PJ Mara wasnt part of the most Government the country has ever seen? Very strange narrative from RTE this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

So PJ Mara wasnt part of the most Government the country has ever seen? Very strange narrative from RTE this morning.

It's not what's being said, it's what's not being said...

One shouldn't speak ill of the dead but I wouldn't be hugely convinced about this eulogy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

All we are missing is the playing of sombre music for the day.

Very strange to hear such eulogies for a spin doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

One shouldn't speak ill of the dead but I wouldn't be hugely convinced about this eulogy...

It's got a seriously hollow ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Bof, this is nothing compared to the absolute BS that was spouted when Haughey died.

'PJ wasn't very good at paperwork' - certainly shared that handy trait with a couple of well known ex taoisigh.

When I heard the news, I was thinking he fathered a child in recent years and the sadness of that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

RIP PJ - I'm sure he had his good & not so good sides in common with most human beings. What struck me was he died in the plush comfort of the Beacon not lying on a trolley in some A & E ... In my opinion that is another example of why the health service hasn't been sorted, it does not impact the "great & the good" in Irish society who have always had the "private" route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

You'd have to be embarrassed for Dunphy's need for the limelight sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Why is this man starting every sentence with "So".. it's infuriating.
    he's a really bad speaker.

Why is this man starting every sentence with "So".. it's infuriating.
    he's a really bad speaker.

One of my 'bugbears' at the moment is that.

Where did it all spring from?

That and calling 'Cork' 'Co-erk'

:mad:

One of my 'bugbears' at the moment is that.

Where did it all spring from?

So it comes from the good 'ol USA as far as I know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,561 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So it comes from the good 'ol USA as far as I know? :)
    You forgot the obligatory upward inflection at the end of your sentence! :)

So it comes from the good 'ol USA as far as I know :)

But how did it start there.

My theory is that it stems from social media, where contributors started their contributions with 'So'

"So I was walking down E Street and this bro rocks up sucking a generous blunt,offers one to me.

What should I do"

Worried ,Traverse City.

Something like that..

Kinda like a trigger to start off a golf swing?

Did that chap just say that 1 in 10 Limerick people were on anti depressants! Or did I mishear?

Theres Liam Doran from the nurses union

AGAIN

AGAIN

😴😴😴😴😴

I'd have some sympathy for travelers, should be allowed to live as they wish. But... when they start talking about their entitlements and that the state should provide and support them in this entitlement, they begin to lose me. Being a citizen and a member of society is a 2 way thing - you give and you receive, not just the latter.

neris wrote: »

AGAIN

NUJ + RTE = platform for other Unions to harangue taxpayers

Dublin TDs finding a common cause in crime :) What they are conveniently forgetting is that the vast amount of state investment is going into urban Ireland and greater Dublin in particular. Rural parts are seeing the reverse and this compounds the issue of rural crime, all the more so when some of these gangs apparently operate out of Dublin.

I'd have some sympathy for travelers, should be allowed to live as they wish. But... when they start talking about their entitlements and that the state should provide and support them in this entitlement, they begin to lose me. Being a citizen and a member of society is a 2 way thing - you give and you receive, not just the latter.

Generous there Barry, they lose me way way earlier than that.

Early days for Eircode I guess but the lack of uptake was entirely predictable and many people warned that it was unnecessary. I find very few people send us post codes and as far as I know An Post don't use them. A lot of people were mislead into being cheerleaders for this scheme I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement