Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I don't have an issue with postcodes as such but the Eircode system is terribly complex. There is no link between neighbours.
    (And as for saying you'd have a problem with new houses being built throwing out the sequence is bs. In France, house numbers are based on the length of the street - so my house is 400 because it's at 400m along the street, next door neighbour is 410. You can still fit a house in between!)
    In France, we have 66 million people, and the postcodes only have 5 digits and are logical.
    I'll never remember my parent's postcode in a million years (and actually it's nigh on impossible to find on the net because they got the house address wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Minister contradicting himself - on one hand saying Eircode is necessary for internet deliveries (as if this was some new delivery scheme), then when someone points out that a letter cannot be delivered using an Eircode alone, he says 'ah well you must have the address, as well', implying that the Eircde is redundant for delivery purposes. Does he think we're all fools :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why does a respectable current affairs show like SO'R indulge this tabloid tittle-tattle "journalist"?

Surely they can do better than gossip from the Sunday World :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I thought the same.

Surely they have enough staffers that can go out and do a bit of investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I thought the same.

Surely they have enough staffers that can go out and do a bit of investigation.

Interesting interview with candidates in the IFA election - trying to get them to clarify their own salary expectations wasn't very illuminating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BarryD wrote: »
    Interesting interview with candidates in the IFA election - trying to get them to clarify their own salary expectations wasn't very illuminating.

Agreed. Yer man Healy from Galway, sounded like the youngest candidate but came across by far the best. Good luck to him.

Did Ronan Collins just have a pop at Farcy with his " seemless handover" comment to SOR ?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Did Ronan Collins just have a pop at Farcy with his " seemless handover" comment to SOR ?:)

Yes, handover was all one piece.

• Advertisement

He must be the butt of many a private joke when his peers are having a public pop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Softest interview I've heard Sean give a politician in years. According to Alan Kelly:
    He's working very hard and he wishes it was better but:
    It's Barry Cowen's fault that the figures on number of houses built in the last year don't add up.
    It's Nama's fault that more social housing isn't being built.
    It's Simon Covney's fault that people aren't getting flood relief
    It's the Insurance Industry's fault that people can't get insurance
    It's the Taoiseach's fault if the election isn't on a Friday
    It's Noel Whelan's fault that the polls say Kelly will lose his seat.
    It's the Media's fault that Michael Lowry is being linked to the next coalition.

He is saying nothing but blaming everyone.

touts wrote: »
    Softest interview I've heard Sean give a politician in years. According to Alan Kelly:
    He's working very hard and he wishes it was better but:
    It's Barry Cowen's fault that the figures on number of houses built in the last year don't add up.
    It's Nama's fault that more social housing isn't being built.
    It's Simon Covney's fault that people aren't getting flood relief
    It's the Insurance Industry's fault that people can't get insurance
    It's the Taoiseach's fault if the election isn't on a Friday
    It's Noel Whelan's fault that the polls say Kelly will lose his seat.
    It's the Media's fault that Michael Lowry is being linked to the next coalition.

He is saying nothing but blaming everyone.

Is that not every politician's default position?

The election hasn't even been called yet, but every current affairs programme is already back to back with politicians being harrassed and harangued about who they'll get into bed with (how did Michael Lowry get to be top of the pops all of a sudden???), and being goaded into making promises about what they'll do if they're (re)elected, which nobody in their right mind would believe.

I'm sick of it already, and like I say, the fecking election isn't even under starters orders yet.

Lyric is lovely these days. I'll have to rely on the papers for my current news updates.

/rant

I didn't find that doctor very reassuring.
    He should have mentioned that it's not all mosquitoes that transmit Zika, so there is no need to worry people in Northern European saying "Oh it's ok now because it's the winter but we'll see in the summer". It's transmitted by the Tiger mosquito which is not in Northern Europe yet.
    (Also, technically it can be transmitted person to person without sexual contact - if you share a home with someone and there is a mosquito carrying the disease, they can bite multiple people and spread it that way).

Interesting discussion on 3rd level drop out rates, parental and industry expectations etc. The system is at least partly dysfunctional but these boyos are up to their eyes in it..

Our eldest is on a post grad in a university in USA at present. As part of that he lectures 1st years, says that it's very structured for them with regular tests and so on. But also says complete contrast at his level in same university, it's completely laissez faire - the professors just ramble on about whatever interests them and expect his charges to just go read the stuff up.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm sick of it already, and like I say, the fecking election isn't even under starters orders yet.

The one good thing is that it'll give the media and country something to talk about. If there was no election, we'd be swamped in 1916 rhetoric and reminiscing.

• Advertisement

Fookers were around here already canvassing. The Shinners have Election Launch posters up also.:(

They got short shift il tell Ya.:)

Fookers were around here already canvassing. The Shinners have Election Launch posters up also.:(

They got short shift il tell Ya.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That cookery woman had a very deep voice..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Keelin being incredibly naive discussing dogs attacking farm animals ... some of her questions are down right silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

It was welcome to see Noonan handed his arse by Prof. Bill Black and Donnelly.

• Advertisement

He has a child on the way, won't pay the fine, and the girlfriend was smoking joints while presumably she was pregnant.
    God that child has no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

He has a child on the way, won't pay the fine, and the girlfriend was smoking joints while presumably she was pregnant. God that child has no chance.

In fairness to the guy he said there was a baby on the way. He didn't say it was with his girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

touts wrote: »

In that case, it is. Gave the papers a hysterical story for the weekend. Plummeting circulation and digital revenues not adding up mean they have to sell papers somehow.

L1011 wrote: »
    In that case, it is. Gave the papers a hysterical story for the weekend. Plummeting circulation and digital revenues not adding up mean they have to sell papers somehow.

... and paper never refused ink :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

L1011 wrote: »

The media can be blamed for a lot here. However, I think the fact that Pinnochio could not rule out Lowry on 11 occasions when asked about possible govt involvement post election places the blame squarely at Kenny.

Who the hell does David Drumm think he is? He has already skipped the jurisdiction once I fail to see why any special arrangements should be made for him and anyway I thought we didn't do plea bargaining in this country?

God, I'm so SICK of the election, and it hasn't even been called yet :mad:

Heard a Joan Burton interview replay during the night - even through my half-asleep state it was appalling, she was just jabbering on with wordy rubbish that bore no relation whatsoever to the question she'd just been (repeatedly) asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

God, I'm so SICK of the election, and it hasn't even been called yet :mad:

Heard a Joan Burton interview replay during the night - even through my half-asleep state it was appalling, she was just jabbering on with wordy rubbish that bore no relation whatsoever to the question she'd just been (repeatedly) asked.

thats the media in this country for you. thinking they are the great protectors of the masses and trying to whip up a frenzy coz theres feck all else happning news wise. fed up with it myself wish theyd just let the government govern and stop trying to force kenny into naming a date. the news media in this country in the last few years really are becoming gutter trash news outlets and celebrity rubbish columns

Just switched over, and Alison O'Connor hit the nail on the head.

Yes, it's just you anoraks who are excited.

And yes, the general public (well me anyway), are sick of it already.

Just switched over, and Alison O'Connor hit the nail on the head.

Yes, it's just you anoraks who are excited.

And yes, the general public (well me anyway), are sick of it already.

You got in before me. This whole election thing is frenzy whipping by the media. Kenny is under no obligation to call the election to suit the media but the media seem to think its up to them to force a date. If i was enda is be taking the piss just to annoy the media and call it at the last minute

• Advertisement

Paul Murphy - if he concentrated on what he's selling he might get somewhere. Seems more interested in attacking his Labour competitors, same old stuff :)

Paul Murphy - if he concentrated on what he's selling he might get somewhere. Seems more interested in attacking his Labour competitors, same old stuff :)

havent bothered tuning into today but sounds like their still whipping up a GE frenzy to suit their agenda

neris wrote: »
    havent bothered tuning into today but sounds like their still whipping up a GE frenzy to suit their agenda

Bingo. You missed F.A

Bingo. You missed F.A

the sooner 2017 rolls around the better im fed up with this general election and 1916 stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

RTE management have had consultants in, they've been advised to over cook anything that's uniquely Irish

Irish Elections cost them zero for TV & Radio rights

Cheap TV & Radio (if you discount the excessive RTE salaries, which are fixed costs)

For print media it's the same, plus print media gains financially due to ads taken

Who's this spoofer?

'That's a constitutional law matter and I'm not a constitutional lawyer '

Waffler

*josephine feehily

my friend wrote: »
    Who's this spoofer?

'That's a constitutional law matter and I'm not a constitutional lawyer '

Waffler

*josephine feehily

She's well qualified to do the job.:eek::confused:

She's well qualified to do the job.:eek::confused:

She got €300k lump sum tax free 3 years ago and is on a €100k pa pension having previously climbed the greasy pole in Revenue

Amazing the talent that's found for these gigs!

She got €300k lump sum tax free 3 years ago and is on a €100k pa pension having previously climbed the greasy pole in Revenue

Amazing the talent that's found for these gigs!

The nice revenue lady who in her bullying arrogance told home owners that "revenue will get them" if they dont pay the hoysehold charge.

• Advertisement

The nice revenue lady who in her bullying arrogance told home owners that "revenue will get them" if they dont pay the hoysehold charge.

About time someone actually said that.

What do these people want, they don't bother their arse paying whilst others subsidise them?
    No problem with people u able to pay, but unless there is some kind of deterrent some people can't see the big picture and will try to get away with everything .

She got €300k lump sum tax free

TAX FREE??? Are you sure? It'd be some irony if the former boss of the Revenue got tax free income! :eek:

TAX FREE??? Are you sure? It'd be some irony if the former boss of the Revenue got tax free income! :eek:

Good Ol boards, always questioning my superior knowledge... ;)

'Under the current rules, the retirement lump sum, marriage gratuity, death gratuity, balancing gratuity or Injury Warrant gratuity (if appropriate) are not subject to income tax. Pensions are subject to income tax in the normal way'

300k tax free lump sum

Yes, read it and weep.

http://www.cspensions.gov.ie/faq1.asp#34

Link to CS website on pensions

Good Ol boards, always questioning my superior knowledge... ;)

'Under the current rules, the retirement lump sum, marriage gratuity, death gratuity, balancing gratuity or Injury Warrant gratuity (if appropriate) are not subject to income tax. Pensions are subject to income tax in the normal way'

300k tax free lump sum

Yes, read it and weep.

http://www.cspensions.gov.ie/faq1.asp#34

Link to CS website on pensions

I'm astonished, gobsmacked even - talk about golden circles and people who make the rules looking after their own interests........................... :(

€300,000 tax free is simply outrageous, if that's what she received as a retirement lump sum.

Surely you don't think she'd walk if she had to pay nearly 50%tax. Take the money, run and get a well paid soft job off your mates....sorted.

I'm astonished, gobsmacked even - talk about golden circles and people who make the rules looking after their own interests........................... :(

€300,000 tax free is simply outrageous, if that's what she received as a retirement lump sum.

bet you though if you had a 300k pension youd only be 150k of it

• Advertisement

bet you though if you had a 300k pension youd only be getting 150k of it

So it appears Sean and his RTE producers are actually racist in a way they quite aren't aware, let me explain

Sean had Thabo Mbeki in the studio this morning and instead of thoroughly challenging Mbeki on -

- Mbekes' inaction and facilitating of Mugabe resulting in the deaths of thousands in Zimbabwe

- Mbekes interference with investigations into Zuma for corruption and Mbekes resulting resignation in disgrace

- Mbeke being an AIDS denialist

- how black SA have actually faired worse at the hands of the ANC

Sean failed to aggressively grill Mbeke - It's clear that Sean dealt with him DIFFERENTLY because Mbeke is black

That's pathetic Sean.

I was cringing at Seans deference towards Mbeke at the end of the interview, maybe Sean has lost his dentures?

So it appears Sean and his RTE producers are actually racist in a way they quite aren't aware, let me explain

Sean had Thabo Mbeki in the studio this morning and instead of thoroughly challenging Mbeki on -

- Mbekes' inaction and facilitating of Mugabe resulting in the deaths of thousands in Zimbabwe

- Mbekes interference with investigations into Zuma for corruption and Mbekes resulting resignation in disgrace

- Mbeke being an AIDS denialist

- how black SA have actually faired worse at the hands of the ANC

Sean failed to aggressively grill Mbeke - It's clear that Sean dealt with him DIFFERENTLY because Mbeke is black

That's pathetic Sean.

I was cringing at Seans deference towards Mbeke at the end of the interview, maybe Sean has lost his dentures?

I don't think so, it obviously wasn't scheduled as a 'hard ' interview, more a 'taster' for his appearance at a lecture in Dublin.

You can't just attack people in an aggressive interview every time.

He was a little bit cloying when ending the interview in fairness.

You can't just attack people in an aggressive interview every time.

RTE do it with any and every US Republican they can get an interview with

Coleman & President George Bush - a career ender for Coleman
    O'Rourke & (Candidate) Donald Trump - pathetic questions about Donald's hair

RTE do it with any and every US Republican they can get an interview with

Coleman & President George Bush - a career ender for Coleman
    O'Rourke & (Candidate) Donald Trump - pathetic questions about Donald's hair

Aaah yes maybe, the Coleman interview was bigged way over what it deserved.

I would say the interview with Mbeki was set up with the parameters agreed beforehand, I may be totally wrong though.

Is Coleman back doing freelance in Ireland, thought she married an American?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement