Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

lol its "WE" now again when the $hit hits the fan for the greedy 1%.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I don't agree with Ml Healy Rae ... why not let the country make a decision on the inability (refusal) of the various politicians to work together? The 40million would be recirculated within the economy so I don't see how that is an issue ... Lord knows way more than 40m has been wasted on much less important things

Go to the country again & stop the messing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Just learned a new word from Regina Doherty: "Crisises".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's with the music on that show? Have a news show or a music show,trying to appeal to everyone is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Callan57 wrote: »
    And he's still spouting silly nonsense which he seems to think passes for wit :mad:

Pity he didnt do a Lucinda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It's ok for me. People don't really want debates at that hour of the morning and the couple of songs breaks it up.

Sometimes though, the music is a bit like 'product placement' alright.

Edit: that's a reply to Kneemos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

is that woman really going on about a drone for last 45 minutes or is there something wrong with my player?

oh. my. god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ellejay wrote: »
    is that woman really going on about a drone for last 45 minutes or is there something wrong with my player?

oh. my. god.
    You must be new around here.

Sean gets as far as Marie-Lo..... and I'm gone. Doesn't matter what the topic is. Sometimes she doesn't even seem to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

It must be a sponsored slot
    I lost count of the number of time's she mentioned their name.
    I don't usually find her boring, but I don't find her interesting either, that was frighteningly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

This government negotiation situation now is getting into a state of complete farce. Everybody is looking over their shoulders at how others will criticise them. The lack of moral courage to knuckle down and do the right thing is very unsettling. Are we capable of running the country at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

David Coleman's preaching wrecks my head, how is this slot helpful to parents and caregivers :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BarryD wrote: »
    This government negotiation situation now is getting into a state of complete farce. Everybody is looking over their shoulders at how others will criticise them. The lack of moral courage to knuckle down and do the right thing is very unsettling. Are we capable of running the country at all?

Know what it reminds me of Barry.

Bunch of spectators watching a match .

The guys and gals who go out on the pitch are excoriated and ridden ragged from the sidelines by critics who if asked to tog out themselves, bridle up and say,"Uuumph Jaysus,I'm not putting myself out there to be pilloried and criticised and for people to know my limitations"

"I'll continue to roar and shout from the sidelines , but, Jaysus, don't ask me to go out there and put my mouth on the line "

That's how the cookie crumbles, these goons get credibility from an inward looking electorate who don't give a fork about anyone but themselves.

Like some mouth rises up and promises Nirvana for no tax impact or leads a campaign to 'sock it to the man' and suddenly they are Demigods.

The poor hoor who sees the big picture and opposes this crap is dumped unceremoniously and we have the chaos we have.

Get a forking grip people.:mad::mad:

Edna O'Brien what fabulous a woman ... I could listen to her all day :)

If Country Girls hadn't been banned I probably would never have read it, all my memories of being a bolshi teenager are wrapped up in Edna O'Brien and her books .... hours and hours of blisfull reading.

Sorry .... my enthusaism got the better of me, this should be on the Marian Finucane Show topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Edna O'Brien what fabulous a woman ... I could listen to her all day :)

If Country Girls hadn't been banned I probably would never have read it, all my memories of being a bolshi teenager are wrapped up in Edna O'Brien and her books .... hours and hours of blisfull reading.

Sorry .... my enthusaism got the better of me, this should be on the Marian Finucane Show topic
    My mother and her sisters managed to get a copy of The Country Girls from England when they were teenagers. They took turns reading it until it was confiscated by their father who was going to burn it! Anyway, one day they found their dad in the garden shed happily reading the book. He had to hand the book back after that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Sean & Pat off again at the same time!

• Advertisement

Sean & Pat off again at the same time!

Check the golf course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

tis a feirce coinkeydink aint it !

on an aside does this mean keelan shanley is RTEs equiveliant of shane coleman?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I really hate the way Keelin Shanley finishes other people's sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Mary Lou telling the Gardai how they should police gangland in her constituency.

I really hate the way Keelin Shanley finishes other people's sentences.

I agree, where is ORourke ?.

Keelin is ok in small doses, way too 'clipped' for this listener.

• Advertisement

I agree, where is ORourke ?.

Keelin is ok in small doses, way too 'clipped' for this listener.
    Clipped I could live with, but just randomly juggling up your vowels and reassigning sounds to them grates after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Anyone get that English authors'sname?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Call me Al wrote: »
    Anyone get that English authors'sname?

David Alred I think

Thanks!

Expecting fairness from Sinn Fein .... :rolleyes:

the opening half hour of the show every day is getting repetitive and dull now. we all know that a govt hasnt been formed in the hour since morning ireland finished and SOR started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

neris wrote: »
    Mary Lou telling the Gardai how they should police gangland in her constituency.

That is a welcome change from SF supporting those who murdered Gárdaí

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

What was that segment this morning about the honours maths bonus points?

Letree wrote: »
    What was that segment this morning about the honours maths bonus points?

Something to do with basic standards slipping

Lord this is very hard on the ears this morning - Kelin please tell that gang that we're not deaf ... there is no need to SHOUT at us :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Lord this is very hard on the ears this morning - Kelin please tell that gang that we're not deaf ... there is no need to SHOUT at us :mad:

All full of their own self-importance.

So Fr McVerry is on with Keelin putting forward the argument that cpo's should be enacted on vacant propeties around the country.
    And he's not being put to task by Ms Shanley for this ludicrous idea.
    Poor interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

So Fr McVerry is on with Keelin putting forward the argument that cpo's should be enacted on vacant propeties around the country.
    Poor interview.

Here's an Idea. Why don't we cpo church property first. There are lots of virtually empty priests houses, convents, etc that could accommodate homeless people. There are plenty of large churches in prime locations that only cater for 20 or 30 people at services. Why not merge those services into one church and convert those empty buildings into apartments. We could seize the bank accounts of the church to fund the conversions. I'd bet he wouldn't be too happy if that was what was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

touts wrote: »
    Here's an Idea. Why don't we cpo church property first. There are lots of virtually empty priests houses, convents, etc that could accommodate homeless people. There are plenty of large churches in prime locations that only cater for 20 or 30 people at services. Why not merge those services into one church and convert those empty buildings into apartments. We could seize the bank accounts of the church to fund the conversions. I'd bet he wouldn't be too happy if that was what was done.
    Ah yes, putting vulnerable families with small children into almost empty church property...I can't see how that could go wrong...:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

What's ludicrous about it?
    touts wrote: »
    I'll bet you'd find that Fr McVerry wouldn't give a sh1t about church property. His argument would probably be that churches wouldn't be suitable accommodation for families, whereas empty houses are - or could be made to be for very little cost.

serfboard wrote: »
    What's ludicrous about it?

I'll bet you'd find that Fr McVerry wouldn't give a sh1t about church property. His argument would probably be that churches wouldn't be suitable accommodation for families, whereas empty houses are - or could be made to be for very little cost.

A good architect & it's perfectly possible to convert any building into living space. But you are probably correct about Fr McVerry but there is the "small" matter of property rights & no doubt the guys in wigs would just love to see the politicians move with this kind of a proposal. Then we'd see the speed at which the taxpayers cash that would have been spent on housing people would find itself in the back pockets of the legal eagals
    The good old law of unintended consequences :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

A good architect & it's perfectly possible to convert any building into living space. But you are probably correct about Fr McVerry but there is the "small" matter of property rights & no doubt the guys in wigs would just love to see the politicians move with this kind of a proposal. Then we'd see the speed at which the taxpayers cash that would have been spent on housing people would find itself in the back pockets of the legal eagals
    The good old law of unintended consequences :rolleyes:
    I'd agree that we definitely don't want it to end up there, but Fr. McVerry makes two points in reply to yours - the first is that he has had legal advice that CPOing of houses would not be unconstitutional, and the second is that we CPO property all the time for roadbuilding so why not CPO vacant property for housing?

In fact in a recent letter to the Indo, the Master of the High Court said:
    ... The Constitution in effect provides that the State may expropriate private property if the Oireachtas decides that to do so is for the "common good" ...

If the Oireachtas is of the view that the State should itself (or its local authorities) provide public housing "in the Common Good", the State can (and probably, legally, should) decide not to wait the two/three years needed to build social housing but instead to immediately acquire houses now in private hands.

If the owners of these refuse to sell, acquisition can be by compulsory purchase with full compensation assessed by the arbitrator ...

But given that the Supreme Court has already decided, in 2000, that the provision of affordable housing is an objective which is "socially just and required by the common good", what we do about it now is a political decision, not a legal one.

The Constitution cannot be used as cover for political inaction.
    This was also Fr. McVerry's point in what IMO was a very good interview - the reason we don't CPO vacant housing is not for legal reasons but becuase the powerful vested landlord interest doesn't want the state to. And given that many TDs are landlords themselves, it's no surprise that the state doesn't do it.

serfboard wrote: »
    I'd agree that we definitely don't want it to end up there, but Fr. McVerry makes two points in reply to yours - the first is that he has had legal advice that CPOing of houses would not be unconstitutional, and the second is that we CPO property all the time for roadbuilding so why not CPO vacant property for housing?

In fact in a recent letter to the Indo, the Master of the High Court said:

This was also Fr. McVerry's point in what IMO was a very good interview - the reason we don't CPO vacant housing is not for legal reasons but becuase the powerful vested landlord interest doesn't want the state to. And given that many TDs are landlords themselves, it's no surprise that the state doesn't do it.

That is as you say legal opinion & I would be equally certain another wig would provide (for a price) the contrary legal opinion. Do you seriously think this proposal would not end up in months in the Supreme Court & another "nice little earner" for the wigs?

Poor interview.
    All that needs to be said about Peter McVerry is that he thinks Alan Kelly is the best man to solve the housing crisis...

• Advertisement

Saudi Arabia "they are lovely people" ... how Philip McCabe arrive at this conclusion considering he admitted he wasn't allowed to in any way interract with 50% of the population?

Saudi Arabia "they are lovely people" ... how Philip McCabe arrive at this conclusion considering he admitted he wasn't allowed to in any way interract with 50% of the population?

Phillip acted like the complete Paddy over there.

Sensationalist hearsay descriptions of executions and stuff.

If you feel that strongly just don't go there Phil.

Went down big time in my estimation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I gets paid more than Angela Merkel for a 10 hour broadcast week so I does.
    Sean sets out his stall for contract renewal for taxpayer fees

snubbleste wrote: »
    I gets paid more than Angela Merkel for a 10 hour broadcast week so I does.
    Sean sets out his stall for contract renewal for taxpayer fees

Hmmm .... What a load of chaff.

That's all I can say.

The guy is good,I heartily endorse that, but mealy-mouthed stuff like that do him no favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

An unnecessary interview, hard to ascertain any positives that might be forthcoming from doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

classic RTE , feature on Paramedics, closely followed by an ad for a Funeral Director

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

dvcireland wrote: »
    classic RTE , feature on Paramedics, closely followed by an ad for a Funeral Director

Happens all the time on liveline, joe lets the callers bash a company or product, joins in tne bad mouthing himself and the said company/product/service just happens to feature on the next ad break

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone listening to the ding-dong between Sean and Vincent Browne? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone listening to the ding-dong between Sean and Vincent Browne? :D:D

Not much quarter there from either side: Sean's little biases shine through in these situations!

Oh for God's sake ... I didn't think it was possible for the water issue to become anymore surreal but I was wrong.

Never underestimate the determination of politicians to dig the hole deeper:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If those clowns think they can collect unpaid water tax bills, they'll have a very long wait.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement