Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Is it Mick Wallace who's telling John Halligan to pay his water charges?

Is it Mick Wallace that FG should be telling to honour their VAT debts?? Or who? I suppose there's yer man Lowry but he's hardly a colleague, is he??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

John Halligan was perfectly right to tell Fine Gael to go stuff themselves. They're a bunch of arrogant pompous twits. I don't hear too many FG TD's calling on a certain colleague to settle an amount owing to the Revenue Commissoners after their business went bust.

You don't mean Government Chief Whip Regina Doherty do you?
    The bills are not going to magically disappear and I would advise people whether they’re elected or not elected to pay

The same Regina Doherty who owes the Revenue Commissioners €60,000, and AIB €50,000 when her company went under?

There's some damning statements in the article.
    accounts filed before the liquidation reveal damning evidence that the company was not being properly run.

In a special report dated August 2012 the company's own independent auditors said it had failed to keep proper books of accounts in 2010, the last period covered by filed financial accounts.

Auditors BCC Accountants issued the special report to the directors of Enhanced Solutions, saying they had "not obtained all the information and explanations" necessary for the purposes of auditing the company.

I forgot that she didn't declare her directorship of the company in her annual declaration of TDs interests after she was elected in 2011.

Nothing to see here folks, move on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Currently doing a positive piece on PCP car financing.

The boom is back! Decking for everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

lawlolawl wrote: »

According to the "experts" if you haven't been able to afford to change your car for the last 8 or 9 years the good news is the finance market has changed and now you can afford to change your car. And not only that but you can go for a brand new car on PCP. And, even better, apparently it's not that much more expensive to go for the shiny big BMW rather than just a little golf.

It's the 2005 housing market all over again.

They were talking about a €450 a month repayment being "reasonable". And then you have to pay thousands of a lump sum at the end,exactly how much is governed by the milage you put on the car.

That's nearly twice what my mortgage is per month. Madness, we learned nothing from the last catastrophe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

My take on the discussion is that they were warning us of the pitfalls of car finance deals.

My take on the discussion is that they were warning us of the pitfalls of car finance deals.

Same here, I've just bought an 11 year old car to replace a 16 year old one that died, so i'm not the target for these deals.

But most people are in the market for a much newer car and very few second hand 08-151 so maybe better off buying new with very low cost finance.

Probably a better deal than a 3 year old car with very expensive credit union loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

**** decking, 2 apartments in the arsehole of bulgaria please

Can anyone tell me the name of the guest talking about obesity ?

Ray Darcy??

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Ray Darcy??
    No mention of eggs, porridge or his children, so don't think so...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Mike Gibney, has a book Ever seen a fat fox?

This court reporting bit is bad for my blood pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It's me culture and I'm addicted to robbin. I like PoG but highlighting these ***** is not his finest broadcasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

giving out about security following them around the shop when they trying to do an honest days robbing

its like a comedy sketch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

neris wrote: »
    **** decking, 2 apartments in the arsehole of bulgaria please

buglaria ?

kursadasi !

shure turkeys not good enough for refugees, but its the first port of call for the irish foreign property investor !

:D

One group of politicians giving out about the Gardaí and that they aren't tough enough and not doing their jobs properly.

Another group of politicians trying to tear the Gardaí apart and hold them accountable to every nuance of phrase.

Are they competent at all to run this country and what do they want?

BarryD wrote: »
    One group of politicians giving out about the Gardaí and that they aren't tough enough and not doing their jobs properly.

Another group of politicians trying to tear the Gardaí apart and hold them accountable to every nuance of phrase.

Are they competent at all to run this country and what do they want?

Are you kidding me, the guards have been caught bugging GSOC, feeding information on political rivals to a sitting minister, preparing to perjure themselves before a judge, lying in statements to the public but that's OK in your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Billy Kelleher as ever with FF sitting on the fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

"Let me be clear...", "Let me make the point..." blah blah blah.

Is there any chance that Fine Gael TD's could leave their obvious PR training out of their radio and TV interviews?

• Advertisement

Time for edna to get frances out of the dept of justice & a clear out at the top of the gardai and bring in senior management from outside the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

"It's not dog whistle politics, it's whistle politics"

Ah here now, plain English not waffle phrases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

Anyone hear the pronunciation today of the national 'aquiatic' centre on the report about the diver?
    I thought Sean might have corrected him after the first time but unfortunately not.

bossdrum wrote: »
    Anyone hear the pronunciation today of the national 'aquiatic' centre on the report about the diver?
    I thought Sean might have corrected him after the first time but unfortunately not.

I noticed that myself. I think somebody pulled him up on it, because he pronounced it properly just before the end of his live studio interview with Sean. Hard to understand how a person who uses words for a living can't even pronounce "aquatic" properly.

Leo is on outlining his vision for social protection. He wants to make sure Ireland is a country where everyone has a "fair go" and highlighted that social welfare payments were cut under Fianna Fail. He thinks it's "interesting" that 50 years ago people started working in their teens and the retirement age was 70 at which point people didn't live much longer. I think we can take it Leo is looking at throwing more money at the welfare class and is planning to pay for it by extending the pension age to 70 or beyond for those stupid enough to work in this god forsaken countrty.

touts wrote: »
    or beyond for those stupid enough to work in this god forsaken country.

I've always thought that it's every citizens obligation to put their best foot forward and make a contribution towards the state they live in, if they are able.

Why else would you bother with concepts of statehood. What's the point of being Irish if you don't make any effort to support Ireland?

Leo is on outlining his vision for social protection. He wants to make sure Ireland is a country where everyone has a "fair go" and highlighted that social welfare payments were cut under Fianna Fail. He thinks it's "interesting" that 50 years ago people started working in their teens and the retirement age was 70 at which point people didn't live much longer. I think we can take it Leo is looking at throwing more money at the welfare class and is planning to pay for it by extending the pension age to 70 or beyond for those stupid enough to work in this god forsaken countrty.

You really think that's going to happen under a Fine Gael Minister for Social Protection? Putting any Fine Gaeler in charge of social welfare is like putting a fox in charge of a hen house.

BarryD wrote: »
    I've always thought that it's every citizens obligation to put their best foot forward and make a contribution towards the state they live in, if they are able.

Why else would you bother with concepts of statehood. What's the point of being Irish if you don't make any effort to support Ireland?

I think you'll find the modern left wing perception of citizenship has all the obligations on the side of the state and little or none on the side of the citizen. Therefore those who choose to put their best foot forward carry a heavier burden than those who think the state owes them everything but they owe the state nothing.

You really think that's going to happen under a Fine Gael Minister for Social Protection? Putting any Fine Gaeler in charge of social welfare is like putting a fox in charge of a hen house.

I would indeed have hoped putting someone with a bit of common sense in charge of the Welfare industry would have helped sort the whole mess out but from the interview I'm afraid Leo has gone native in record time from stepping foot within the department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I would indeed have hoped putting someone with a bit of common sense in charge of the Welfare industry would have helped sort the whole mess out but from the interview I'm afraid Leo has gone native in record time from stepping foot within the department.

A man as ambitious as Leo knows it's the death knell for any Irish politician to be perceived as 'Thatcherite', so even if he was philosophically in favour of cutting back the welfare state, that isn't much of a priority alongside boosting his prospects of becoming FG leader and Taoiseach.

If you're looking for a minister to slash and burn, I'd say Shane Ross is your best prospect...

This perception of a "welfare state" really is a load of rubbish. During the boom, the unemployment rate in this country was around 4%, which to all intents and purposes is full employment. It suited the Fine Gael and Labour coalition to demonise the unemployed during the recession because it meant they could push through the likes of JobBridge without too much opposition.

Not sure if the "welfare state" bandwagon would also include old age pensioners as being part of so-called "drain" on resources, because we're all going to be elderly some day and it would be reassuring to think we can live out the rest of our lives in retirement without having to worry about how we're going to pay our bills and feed ourselves in our old age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This perception of a "welfare state" really is a load of rubbish. During the boom, the unemployment rate in this country was around 4%, which to all intents and purposes is full employment. It suited the Fine Gael and Labour coalition to demonise the unemployed during the recession because it meant they could push through the likes of JobBridge without too much opposition.

Not sure if the "welfare state" bandwagon would also include old age pensioners as being part of so-called "drain" on resources, because we're all going to be elderly some day and it would be reassuring to think we can live out the rest of our lives in retirement without having to worry about how we're going to pay our bills and feed ourselves in our old age.

What do you mean by "it suited FG and LAB to demonise the unemployed"

What proof have you for that?

How do you know that that is the case?

Or is it just your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If you're looking for a minister to slash and burn, I'd say Shane Ross is your best prospect...
    I'll admit that the suggestion appeals to the baser side of me, but the way to deal with Shane Ross is the way that you deal with any other politician with whom you disagree: vote him out.

[Apologies for allowing myself get lured down this o/t rabbit hole.]

I'll admit that the suggestion appeals to the baser side of me, but the way to deal with Shane Ross is the way that you deal with any other politician with whom you disagree: vote him out.

[Apologies for allowing myself get lured down this o/t rabbit hole.]

Not like you P.

Brenner, we all know you're a dyed-in-the-wool Fine Gaeler, so trying to convince you of their underhanded ways is fairly pointless, but I lost count of the number of times I heard Joan Burton giving us some folksy apocryphal stories of her meeting mothers in supermarkets who were "concerned about their sons/daughters lying in bed and, if only they had something to do to "earn" their unemployment payment...." Cue JobBridge, cue Tus, and any other exploitative work scheme in the Fine Gael/Labour canon. And your beloved FG were hardly going to stand in the way of a cheap and nasty denigration of the unemployed, were they?

• Advertisement

Brenner, we all know you're a dyed-in-the-wool Fine Gaeler, so trying to convince you of their underhanded ways is fairly pointless, but I lost count of the number of times I heard Joan Burton giving us some folksy apocryphal stories of her meeting mothers in supermarkets who were "concerned about their sons/daughters lying in bed and, if only they had something to do to "earn" their unemployment payment...." Cue JobBridge, cue Tus, and any other exploitative work scheme in the Fine Gael/Labour canon. And your beloved FG were hardly going to stand in the way of a cheap and nasty denigration of the unemployed, were they?

So it's just anecdotal,Henry, just what YOU perceive to be true.

Just an opinion laced with totally un proven 'events' is it?

That's good, I'm ok with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Speaking at a Kilkenny Chamber of Commerce lunch on Wednesday, Mr Noonan said that “we all know there will be people who will never work. They’re allergic to work.”

So it's just anecdotal,Henry, just what YOU perceive to be true.

Just an opinion laced with totally un proven 'events' is it?

That's good, I'm ok with that

Good man Bren. Toe the Fine Gael line. It means never having to think for yourself. Enda might give you a Seanad seat yet.

Good man Bren. Toe the Fine Gael line. It means never having to think for yourself. Enda might give you a Seanad seat yet.

Think for myself,Henry, tell me what I should be thinking about.?

I mainly think about providing employment, taking risks for modest returns,keeping the country running and stuff like that.

Providing jobs for people for the mutual benefit of both:confused:

What should I be thinking about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 El Reich

Fiona Looney as a football analyst? WTF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

El Reich wrote: »
    In fairness, I can understand on a general interest programme widening the panel in a discussion about sport to include non-sporting commentators, and I've no problem with that per se.

The choice of Fiona Looney? Well that's a different matter, but then this is the show that has Marie Louise O'Donnell on as a regular ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

El Reich wrote: »

Self-styled "colour" analyst.

She would also pop up from time to time spoofing about Dublin GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fightin_irish

No offense but Fiona is not a great fit for this job

No offense but Fiona is not a great fit for this job

Hmmmm anyone remember how Kay Sheehy got a nice little junket to Japan to report on the, what do they call it, colour commentators, over there, when the World Cup was over there.

:cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

In fairness to Looney, she's been following the Ireland team home and away since before Jack's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Graham Turley on at the minute. Talking about lot of sense with regard to garda resources

Joan Burton is quite right - women in politics have to put up with a fierce amount of nasty vitriol compared to men in the same game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

The Data Protection Commissioner - Protecting fly tippers for the whole of Ireland. Surely the money given to these people would be better served going after Facebook and companies where there are people's data actually needs protecting. Seems like they are going after the low hanging fruit to make themselves look good.

The Data Protection Commissioner - Protecting fly tippers for the whole of Ireland. .

Couldn't agree more - pretty annoyed listening to that woman. Typical of people who have their heads stuck firmly in the sand and just don't see what's going on. Bet you she doesn't live near spots where people routinely tip their rubbish. If they can be caught, big if, then they might get a fine - in which case they just laugh and refuse to pay. The only thing that might impact them is local public naming and shaming. And this lady is worried about protecting their data rights?? Mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Pat Cox - Ireland's most arrogant and condescending man.

He is exactly the sort of person that the Brits voted to get away from.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement