Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

Maybe it's because I live in France but I like that she pronounces French words properly. Drives me up the wall when Irish journalists can pronounce François Hollande 3 different incorrect ways in one item.
    I agree with you about how journalists pronounce Francie Holland's name, but there's no need to go full-French with every name and placename either.

I used to live in France but would be mortified to use the guttural R when saying French words to English speaking friends. It just sounds forced and unnecessary.

But I must say in her favour, this is a minor quibble. She is a fantastic journo, and marvellously intelligent. According to her wiki page, she's a graduate of UCLA, Oxford and the Sorbonne. I had no idea she was once married to Robert Fisk, too. Very interesting individual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 boat_builder

Does anyone else find Lara Marlow's voice a distraction from what she's saying?

Especially when she over-pronounces French names & places. I speak French, but I don't go around employing the guttural R, telling people about Paʁi, and performing enormous Gallic shrugs. Calm it down, Lara.

how can someone who was born in america speak like that

would be nice too if she could keep her left wing politics under some kind of wrap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 boat_builder

I agree with you about how journalists pronounce Francie Holland's name, but there's no need to go full-French with every name and placename either.

I used to live in France but would be mortified to use the guttural R when saying French words to English speaking friends. It just sounds forced and unnecessary.

But I must say in her favour, this is a minor quibble. She is a fantastic journo, and marvellously intelligent. According to her wiki page, she's a graduate of UCLA, Oxford and the Sorbonne. I had no idea she was once married to Robert Fisk, too. Very interesting individual.

there political outlook is identical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

One of my favourites is when Siobhán Madigan tries to pronounce a foreign player's name in her generic foreign accent. She usually makes a bo€€ocks of it 5 or 6 syllables in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

sligojoek wrote: »
    One of my favourites is when Siobhán Madigan tries to pronounce a foreign player's name in her generic foreign accent. She usually makes a bo€€ocks of it 5 or 6 syllables in.

Bit like the rugby lad, Corcoran?

Big rolling of 'Rs' is Micks effort :D

• Advertisement

Married to Fisk!!

Didn't know that.

That house must have been more left wing than Joe Higgins' left arm.

Wonder what it was called 'Casa Gaza' maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

sligojoek wrote: »

Madigan drives me mad. That "disgruntled girlfriend" tone that she delivers the sports new with, what is that all about? And referring to the teams by the nicknames as this somehow makes the news more interesting i.e. "And if the Tribesmen beat the Royals, they will face the Lilywhites next Sunday". :mad:

Married to Fisk!!

Presumable Bob Fisk left her so that he could marry Pat Kenny. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Yer man wants rural dwellers to pay an annual charge for the privilege of paying for the building and maintaining of their own septic tanks, whilst spongers like him living in towns and cities refuse to pay a VERY modest charge for water and to get their sh*t taken away. Talk about a rural disconnect.... :(

Our experts saying that if you notice your friend "hasnt been to the pub in a while", it should set off alarm bells. Then he goes on to say that you should avoid alcohol if you want to avoid depressive moods..

Make up your f**king mind will you.

• Advertisement

Our experts saying that if you notice your friend "hasnt been to the pub in a while", it should set off alarm bells. Then he goes on to say that you should avoid alcohol if you want to avoid depressive moods..

Make up your f**king mind will you.

That pair would do your head in! Best to tune out while they're on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Maybe it's because I live in France but I like that she pronounces French words properly. Drives me up the wall when Irish journalists can pronounce François Hollande 3 different incorrect ways in one item.

Cue Matt Cooper!

The acquisition of these mountain lands adjacent to Dublin by the state is a complete 'no brainer'. It'll be a scandal if this opportunity is lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Did anybody listen to the quiz they ran this morning? I'm listening back to the podcast now, pretty shambolic radio unfortunately... :(

Pure dirge. You wouldn't even get that rubbish on Tipp FM.

You wouldn't catch Pat Kenny at that carry-on, either. I rarely listen to Sean O'Rourke, except for when Pat is on holiday (which is often: he must have a time-share in a gaff with Marian in some exotic clime)

O'Rourke had the ardor and incision of a criminal barrister when he was presenting The Week in Politics. He could cut an argument to ribbons. On his current programme, I'm afraid the shears of his mind have been blunted with inane chatter about golf and mindless interviews with popular fiction authors, which are always mechanical and scripted.

Pat 'the Plank' is the butt of plenty of jokes about leftover timber, but he is far more agile and dynamic in interviews than O'Rourke, and never sounds like he's following a script.

Dont think Sean will be getting this loose tongued guy on again. And he keeps referring to yer wan as Sarah McInerney, when it's not Sarah McInerney at all. She's seconded to another station altogether at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pure dirge. You wouldn't even get that rubbish on Tipp FM.

You wouldn't catch Pat Kenny at that carry-on, either. I rarely listen to Sean O'Rourke, except for when Pat is on holiday (which is often: he must have a time-share in a gaff with Marian in some exotic clime)

O'Rourke had the ardor and incision of a criminal barrister when he was presenting The Week in Politics. He could cut an argument to ribbons. On his current programme, I'm afraid the shears of his mind have been blunted with inane chatter about golf and mindless interviews with popular fiction authors, which are always mechanical and scripted.

Pat 'the Plank' is the butt of plenty of jokes about leftover timber, but he is far more agile and dynamic in interviews than O'Rourke, and never sounds like he's following a script.

The listening public clearly disagree.
    Sean has been giving him a bloody nose in every JNLR pretty much from the get-go.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Sean has been giving him a bloody nose in every JNLR pretty much from the get-go.

I disagree too, Sean O'Rourke is a pro at most of what the show is. But that quiz yesterday, my Jesus was it muck...

dulpit wrote: »
    I disagree too, Sean O'Rourke is a pro at most of what the show is. But that quiz yesterday, my Jesus was it muck...

I didn't hear it to be honest.
    I suspect that Sean was well out of his comfort zone.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Probably all the producers and legal people were off so they had to play it safe. Or maybe it was prerecorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Probably all the producers and legal people were off so they had to play it safe. Or maybe it was prerecorded.
    I heard it and figured it was pre-recorded.

I actually enjoyed it. :p A bit of light-hearted trivia for a bank holiday ...

Nicky Byrne has been giving him a bloody nose too, as has Anton Savage.

It doesn't mean that Nicky Byrne or Anton Savage or better presenters. Radio stations tend to have a unique reach and 'carry' some presenters along.

Similarly Ian Dempsey had better ratings than Breakfast NT under Ivan & Chris, yet Breakfast NT was a better show, in my view, despite my own misgivings about Chris Donoghue. I don't believe 'quality' and the JNLRs are synonymous with one another. The JNLRs represent listenership, which can be attributed to many causes.

Back to Sean O'Rourke, and I'm not saying he's an awful presenter. He's alright, but Pat Kenny is a far more natural & intelligent presenter.

Nicky Byrne has been giving him a bloody nose too, as has Anton Savage.

It doesn't mean that Nicky Byrne or Anton Savage or better presenters. Radio stations tend to have a unique reach and 'carry' some presenters along.

Similarly Ian Dempsey had better ratings than Breakfast NT under Ivan & Chris, yet Breakfast NT was a better show, in my view, despite my own misgivings about Chris Donoghue. I don't believe 'quality' and the JNLRs are synonymous with one another. The JNLRs represent listenership, which can be attributed to many causes.

Back to Sean O'Rourke, and I'm not saying he's an awful presenter. He's alright, but Pat Kenny is a far more natural & intelligent presenter.
    listening habits are entirely subjective, that's why we have the JNLRs to give us and advertisers a broader outlook.

The harsh reality about the JNLRs is that all advertisers treat them as Gospel.
    A presenters characteristics barely come into it.
    PK was hired (at considerable cost) for one reason and one reason only and that's to increase listeners.
    The fact is that the numbers have been disappointing to the point of disastrous, not really what DOB had in mind at all.

Newstalk is still in a precarious financial position, I really can't see them indulging in the kind of salary PK is on for too much longer.

That's business I'm afraid.

listening habits are entirely subjective,
    They are. Quality is not.
    The harsh reality about the JNLRs is that all advertisers treat them as Gospel.
    A presenters characteristics barely come into it.
    I agree. Advertisers are right to pay attention to JNLRs. I'm not denying that more people are listening to Sean O'Rourke or Ronan Collins than to Pat Kenny. That's a fact. It's style & skill that is in issue.
    Newstalk is still in a precarious financial position, I really can't see them indulging in the kind of salary PK is on for too much longer.
    I agree. As I said elsewhere on this forum, I think there's a chance Pat might retire or even return to RTE as opposed to suffering the ignominy of working for less than 200k per annum after his present contract expires. He doesn't seem to fit into Newstalk's budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Oh God the annual price of uniforms, schoolbooks .... same ding dong every year

Why does this woman keep shouting over the guest on the phone.. So rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Who the heck is this bumptious buffoon Keelin has on at the moment? Some sort of Protestant-sounding ex-runner, evidence. He ignores the question, goes off on an endless self-aggrandising anecdotal tangant, and then gets all prissy about not being allowed finish it by the interviewer (who alas, is pretty much giving him his head with this crepe).

Ah, Ronnie Delany, apparently. Been dining out on his Melbourne escapades for too long, seems to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This should be interesting. A discussion on great Irish Olympic achievements. I wonder if our multiple gold medals in swimming will get a mention......

• Advertisement

Did herself just say she was a little bit "clusterphobic"? Eggcorns while you wait...

Comical. No mention whatsoever.

Herself being Catherina McKiernan, btw.

The entirety of Irish broadcasting is already in full-scale deflection Green Gansey mode, after all. Witness the epicly compartmentalised discussion on Tonight Without Vincent Browne with a series of... contributors saying how hanging was too good for Russian athletes, whether or not there were any signs whatsoever they themselves had any involvement in drugs use, while immediately whitewashing Michael O'Reilly as an innocent man, or at worst to have "accidentally" tested positive, for a drug that couldn't possibly be in any way performance-enhancing (despite being on the banned list of same).

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Ah, Ronnie Delany, apparently. Been dining out on his Melbourne escapades for too long, seems to me.

You should be more generous :) - Ronnie must be getting on now and is quite entitled to reminisce on his achievement. That's why he was asked on the show I guess.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    The entirety of Irish broadcasting is already in full-scale deflection Green Gansey mode, after all. Witness the epicly compartmentalised discussion on Tonight Without Vincent Browne with a series of... contributors saying how hanging was too good for Russian athletes, whether or not there were any signs whatsoever they themselves had any involvement in drugs use, while immediately whitewashing Michael O'Reilly as an innocent man, or at worst to have "accidentally" tested positive, for a drug that couldn't possibly be in any way performance-enhancing (despite being on the banned list of same).

Agreed, the double standards are cringeworthy. Mind you, if you a certain famous Irish swimmer of yore, you mightn't agree as she usually gets the full lash. But it's boxing under scrutiny now, whereas the other was just a swimmer - big difference!

• Advertisement

BarryD wrote: »
    You should be more generous :) - Ronnie must be getting on now and is quite entitled to reminisce on his achievement. That's why he was asked on the show I guess.

True enough, few enough track golds, and we'd all hope to be indulged a little in our dotage. I might not be so cranky if I hadn't a massive crick in my neck after falling asleep on the couch after my own modest-enough athletic efforts...

"If you're a female athlete and you're pregnant".

I'm not sure she knows a lot about sport.

BarryD wrote: »
    Agreed, the double standards are cringeworthy. Mind you, if you a certain famous Irish swimmer of yore, you mightn't agree as she usually gets the full lash. But it's boxing under scrutiny now, whereas the other was just a swimmer - big difference!

She does indeed, hence the necessity to memory-hole her entirely for the next month. The cheering for the home team stuff is completely fine, though it does seem to be getting worse and worse as time goes on. At London, even the Americans were complaining the Brits were "shameless homers"! Sticks in the craw when it comes to reflexive apologia for rules violations, all the same.

Best part of the show was the end... not that the show wasn't perfectly fine, but because of the words "next up is Fiachna Ó Braonáin". Woo-hoo! If the second-stringers ran the shows all the time, how much better would the station be... and how much cheaper to pay the "talent", so-called? And the most egregious such case must surely be Ronan Collins, who is completely unsufferable and indeed unlistenable.

What's going on with the show this week? I listen via podcast, and suffered with Keelin Shanley all week, but today it was John Murray and somebody else I did not recognise?

You'd miss Sean, I find Keelin very hard to listen to, but the female presenter today was woeful...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That was Katie Hannon today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Katie Hannon is woeful.

Irish media going out of their way to say that ticket touting is no big deal in Ireland. If a Russian had been caught scalping tickets in Rio, I'm sure they'd have a very different take on it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Irish media going out of their way to say that ticket touting is no big deal in Ireland. If a Russian had been caught scalping tickets in Rio, I'm sure they'd have a very different take on it all.

Great to see ticket touts getting their comeuppence over there. Not enough is done about the problem here.

Putin and KGB personally to blame! Meanwhile, in unrelated news, Irish athlete falls mouth-first onto banned substance in tragic accident for which he bears no personal responsibility for whatsoever, and will contest ban on a series on contradictory grounds, nowait, won't contest it at all. Also, team captain unfairly goes out in the first round, graciously and sportingly paying tribute to the winner by complaining about the rules of his sport he's only been working to for about a decade.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Katie Hannon is woeful.

This with cherries on top. Not suited for the show at all, felt like the news reader just went on long when I heard her first.

Do RTÉ have a credible back up for SOR at the moment?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Katie Hannon is woeful.

I mentioned this on the Marian Finucane thread as well, but it seems to be a characteristic of reporters who move in to broadcasting. They bring that objective (nay dispassionate) reading of the text with them. There is no passion, no inflections, no feeling. Mary Wilson is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

dulpit wrote: »
    This with cherries on top. Not suited for the show at all, felt like the news reader just went on long when I heard her first.

Do RTÉ have a credible back up for SOR at the moment?

Marty Morrissey :D

kazamo wrote: »
    Marty Morrissey :D

Jaysus :eek:

Gavan Reilly covered for Matt Cooper on the last word, he's quite good in that role. Nobody like that available in RTE?

I did always like when Myles Dungan covered for Pat Kenny, I don't think he's done same since O'Rourke took over?

I mentioned this on the Marian Finucane thread as well, but it seems to be a characteristic of reporters who move in to broadcasting. They bring that objective (nay dispassionate) reading of the text with them. There is no passion, no inflections, no feeling. Mary Wilson is the same.

As a side note I heard Samantha Libreri on MI the last few days.

Very monotonous and dull delivery, not a good fill in, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement