Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

dulpit wrote: »
    Jaysus :eek:

Gavan Reilly covered for Matt Cooper on the last word, he's quite good in that role. Nobody like that available in RTE?

I did always like when Myles Dungan covered for Pat Kenny, I don't think he's done same since O'Rourke took over?

Myles was poor enough when sitting in.
    Seemed to always have an over balance of hot air merchants over interesting content.
    But as it was usually quiet politically when on, I'd give him a little latitude on that.

Having said that, I always found him solid enough on the old 5.7. Live show back in the day.

I did always like when Myles Dungan covered for Pat Kenny, I don't think he's done same since O'Rourke took over?
    Myles was great as the PK Show stand-in.

Seems to be carving-out a niche for himself as the Micheal O' Muircheartaigh of Olympic sailing now, mind you!

Would love to see Myles take over SO'R's slot altogether. I know it's not a popular view, but I just don't believe Sean O'Rourke is up for this gig.

I do like Katie Hannon, and she's only a newbie to this type of broadcasting, but she does suffer from the same cataleptic rigidity as the Ice Queen Mary Wilson , or Sharon Ni Bheol-atron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

This with cherries on top. Not suited for the show at all, felt like the news reader just went on long when I heard her first.

Do RTÉ have a credible back up for SOR at the moment?

Rachel English gets my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Scaremongering about contactless cards today. The person on was going way overboard, all this serves is to scare people... :rolleyes:

Scaremongering about contactless cards today. The person on was going way overboard, all this serves is to scare people... :rolleyes:
    Sinead Ryan.

There's absolutely no evidence of the sort of scam she is warning against. She's a poorly informed tabloid "journalist" who is given far too much notice.

I don't for one second believe she wraps her cards in tinfoil, or takes any of the other garbage precautions she was spouting today, but she never misses an opportunity to make herself heard.

There is so much important financial advice that workers really need to take notice of, such as demystifying pensions, perils of investing, as well as genuinely important consumer-affairs advice. But like any tabloid head, Sinead goes immediately to the sensational and the irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The IOC Kingpin has friends in Montrose it seems.

It's outrage central with 2 x legal eagles stressing condemnation at the idea of someone having their good name besmirched.

in essence, if some think you have a good rep, you should be above law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

It's outrage central with 2 x legal eagles stressing condemnation at the idea of someone having their good name besmirched.

Certainly seems a strong slant in that direction in the coverage to date. Lots of pertinent questions and angles to this saga that are being quietly ignored at the moment. The fear of litigation is like a damp cloak over all such matters relating to people of influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Well yesterday's coverage wasn't very sympatnetic to Hickey aross all the radio stations includng RTE. There was an implied guilt in the outrage at the this conman damaging the reputation of the nation living the high life funded by his corrupt carry on. I'd say it's less that he has friends in Montrose and more that his lawyers fired in threatening letters left right and center and RTE did what RTE do best. They caved in to a solicitor's letter and changed their editorial stance to be supportive of this hard working man who was simply doing his best to raise a few bob for sport in Ireland and couldn't even afford a pajamas when the nasty police men and their cameras arrived at his door.

Hopefully one of the other stations or one of the papers will call his bluff and tell him to go **** himself and sue them if he wants.

touts wrote: »
    Well yesterday's coverage wasn't very sympatnetic to Hickey aross all the radio stations includng RTE. There was an implied guilt in the outrage at the this conman damaging the reputation of the nation living the high life funded by his corrupt carry on. I'd say it's less that he has friends in Montrose and more that his lawyers fired in threatening letters left right and center and RTE did what RTE do best. They caved in to a solicitor's letter and changed their editorial stance to be supportive of this hard working man who was simply doing his best to raise a few bob for sport in Ireland and couldn't even afford a pajamas when the nasty police men and their cameras arrived at his door.

Hopefully one of the other stations or one of the papers will call his bluff and tell him to go **** himself and sue them if he wants.
    That would be my interpretation too.

Pat Kenny said of Pat Hickey this morning, that the wise adage "Be nice to people on your way up, and they'll be nice to you on your way down" might be a hard lesson for Pat Hickey.

Being a member of the Great Unwashed myself, I'm not aware of any anecdotes of Pat Hickey acting the bollox outside of what's reported in the media, but I get the distinct impression that a lot of people working in media and sport are quietly satisfied that he's got his just desserts. He is never portrayed as a remotely popular figure among those 'in the know'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Bit on about student accommodation at the moment. You'd want your head checked if you wanted to go to college in Dublin.

600 a month is the going rate. Compared to less than half that in some areas outside of Dublin.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Bit on about student accommodation at the moment. You'd want your head checked if you wanted to go to college in Dublin.

Leave Dublin colleges to the Dubs seems to be the message alright.

What is this the "idiot spot"????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

All the youngsters in Donegal will listen to this and automatically start driving sensibly aterwards.

Drivers in Donegal are a law unto themselves. Anytime I've been there in recent years, the number of drivers taking chances, is noticeably higher than anywhere else I normally go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Those two guys were clones of each other.
    I was speechless listening to them. They were obviously employed in a PR capacity as I heard the first guy on Newstalk in the evening with Mick Clifford describing Hickey as 'an outstanding person'!! My jaw dropped to the floor when I heard that!! :(

• Advertisement

BarryD wrote: »
    Drivers in Donegal are a law unto themselves. Anytime I've been there in recent years, the number of drivers taking chances, is noticeably higher than anywhere else I normally go.

I've only driven in Donegal once. We drove around Ireland, and when we got into Co. Donegal there was a noticeable difference in driving patterns. Lots more overtaking, passing multiple cars, passing on solid white lines, things like that. Was not unhappy when we left again later that day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why would that be in all seriousness? Why are Donegal drivers more reckless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

monkey9 wrote: »

Have you never noticed all the donutting on rural roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I live near Bundoran and go up there once or twice a week. When you come off the roundabout to go into the town there's nearly always a Gatso van nicking people doing a few KM over the 50 limit. While 2KM away on the bypass there's looners doing all kinds of speeds but there's never a van out there.

No idea, seems to be a kind of culture. Maybe less cars on the roads, so people more inclined to assume no one is coming the other way? Obviously not everyone is like that, but I thought the difference was notable - more people taking chances.

• Advertisement

I found that the main roads in Donegal were oddly wide. Like wide enough for 3-4 lanes of traffic, but only set up for 2. Seemed to encourage people into dodgy overtaking manoeuvres...

I found that the main roads in Donegal were oddly wide. Like wide enough for 3-4 lanes of traffic, but only set up for 2. Seemed to encourage people into dodgy overtaking manoeuvres...

So it's the roads fault?

MLOD ... my Q to depart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Callan57 wrote: »
    MLOD ... my Q to depart
    I heard her mentioned in the intro, and turned off the whole show :mad:

Might be a lesson in that if any researchers/producers are reading this!

Mannix Flynn was on SOR today whining about Merchant's Quay Project (support for drug addicts) being in the City Centre close to where he lives.

If you live in the City Centre, you live there in the knowledge that there's going to be noise, traffic, and yes, drug addicts.

Una Mullaly and Frank Clarke used to always be complaining about the quality of life for residents in the Temple Bar area (where they lived; not together, I should add). Who buys an apartment in Temple Bar and then complains they can't sleep with the noise of revellers?

Same applies to Mannix. If you want peace & quiet, move out to the suburbs.

Mannix Flynn was on SOR today whining about Merchant's Quay Project (support for drug addicts) being in the City Centre close to where he lives.

If you live in the City Centre, you live there in the knowledge that there's going to be noise, traffic, and yes, drug addicts.

Una Mullaly and Frank Clarke used to always be complaining about the quality of life for residents in the Temple Bar area (where they lived; not together, I should add). Who buys an apartment in Temple Bar and then complains they can't sleep with the noise of revellers?

Same applies to Mannix. If you want peace & quiet, move out to the suburbs.

Bit like the weekenders in the country complaining about the noise of tractors and the good healthy smell of slurry ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Fight Fight!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

How can these arseholes continue to try to defend the indefensible? I reckon their mobiles were very busy yesterday during the Liveline text poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The hypocrasy of this Michael Fitzmaurice, the only reason he did not remain with his buddies and go into government was because his constituency colleage Denis Naughton is in government. Looking after his seat is all this guy is good for.

How can these arseholes continue to try to defend the indefensible?

Defending the indefensible seems to be popular these last few weeks, both here and abroad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Kevin Thornton sounds a bit like Christy Moore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Kevin Thornton sounds a bit like Christy Moore.

that was a sickening interview to listen to. self indulgent rte old boys club twoddle. mushroom business gone bust in Tipperary yesterday and 70 people out of a job and these 2 gob****es come on whinging they lost their michelin star and telling us how great they were and how lucky they were their lease is up and the lovely new kitchen theyre getting in their house,. No mention of the staff that are loosing jobs are the small suppliers who are loosing business. It sounded more like 2 spoilt kids throwing their toys out of the pram coz they couldnt keep their stars

neris wrote: »
    It sounded more like 2 spoilt kids throwing their toys out of the pram coz they couldnt keep their stars

This exactly. Listening now via podcast, I feel like there should be violins playing in the background... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

neris wrote: »
    that was a sickening interview to listen to. self indulgent rte old boys club twoddle. mushroom business gone bust in Tipperary yesterday and 70 people out of a job and these 2 gob****es come on whinging they lost their michelin star and telling us how great they were and how lucky they were their lease is up and the lovely new kitchen theyre getting in their house,. No mention of the staff that are loosing jobs are the small suppliers who are loosing business. It sounded more like 2 spoilt kids throwing their toys out of the pram coz they couldnt keep their stars
    Thought this was an extraordinary interview myself and turned it off. Was going on far too long.

How does this guy deserve this much airtime?

Davy Carton sounds shocking, even more than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not that I've anything against him, but the rebranding of John Murray as a sports reporter seems very curious. In all the years he's been on RTE, I can't recall him showing any particular affinity with sport beyond when it popped up as an occasional item on his shows to be treated in a light fashion. I guess RTE have to do something with him, but isn't their sports department already a bit over-stocked as it is? Is there a special cold-storage unit in Montrose where these guys are kept in reserve or something?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Davy Carton sounds shocking, even more than usual.

What class of shyte is he singing at the moment? He's no John Spillane, that's for sure.

Is it possible for any media outlet to have a conversation about television without mentioning the latest super duper shiny bells and whistles series on feckin Netflix?

Not all of us have it, and not all of us want it.

Not that I've anything against him, but the rebranding of John Murray as a sports reporter seems very curious. In all the years he's been on RTE, I can't recall him showing any particular affinity with sport beyond when it popped up as an occasional item on his shows to be treated in a light fashion. I guess RTE have to do something with him, but isn't their sports department already a bit over-stocked as it is? Is there a special cold-storage unit in Montrose where these guys are kept in reserve or something?

I haven't much interest in sport but I though it was his voice doing the sport slot lately & I wondered when he went down that road - thought he was current affairs & politics?
    Is it just a case in RTE of "once your in your in" & they have to find something for you. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I haven't much interest in sport but I though it was his voice doing the sport slot lately & I wondered when he went down that road - thought he was current affairs & politics?
    Is it just a case in RTE of "once your in your in" & they have to find something for you. :rolleyes:

I suspect it may well be. I didn't hear him for a while after he lost his 10am slot to Turbidy and then he pops up doing the sports gig on weekends where he just seems out of place. Today was the first time I've heard him read the sports news which suggests he's there for the long haul. What next? Des Cahill doing the business show? Might as well as anything seems to go in Montrose these days.

Murray's wife was on the Friday Gathering this morning as well. Nice work if you can get it.

John Murray has been doing the radio sports coverage for quite a few months now. I'd often listen in and he seems relaxed and well informed on the whole. Clearly has done the research and knows the ins/outs, what to ask etc? No problem there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

pretty much it.

Is it possible for any media outlet to have a conversation about television without mentioning the latest super duper shiny bells and whistles series on feckin Netflix?

Not all of us have it, and not all of us want it.

That's like saying film reviews should ignore the blockbusters, because not every cineplex shows them? Of course they should mention the latest netflix series, Netflix is as good as or better than many major tv networks. It's a major player in the TV landscape.

BarryD wrote: »
    John Murray has been doing the radio sports coverage for quite a few months now. I'd often listen in and he seems relaxed and well informed on the whole. Clearly has done the research and knows the ins/outs, what to ask etc? No problem there.

Normally I would agree with your view Barry, but sadly not in this case.

John is wallowing, I'm afraid, major problems with tennis players names in the US open, not convincing in my opinion, but may improve.

I wish him well, but he seems very amateur and ill informed to me.

Maybe when he builds up a contact base he will give his own view, rather than reading from a piece of paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

He went to a loan shark for money for a holiday. I find it difficult to feel sorry for him, if that is what Paddy presumably expects.

Wouldn't you expect someone discussing "higher education" to be able to make their point without having to resort to silly urban jargon ... "skin in the game" now where did we hear that before ?????????

John is wallowing, I'm afraid, major problems with tennis players names in the US open, not convincing in my opinion, but may improve.

Maybe when he builds up a contact base he will give his own view, rather than reading from a piece of paper.

I agree, he's certainly relaxed in his job for life. Seems like being a disaster in the radio 1 9 am slot has bought him a lot of brownie points...

I agree, he's certainly relaxed in his job for life. Seems like being a disaster in the radio 1 9 am slot has bought him a lot of brownie points...

Now I wish him well and wouldn't totally blame him for the disaster on the R1 0900 slot.

The production team have a lot to answer for too and the management who couldn't see that the show was tanking almost from day one.

They persisted with the Jay Leno type intro which was cringeworthy right to the end.

Anyway good luck to John, hope he makes it in sport, has work to do, a lot of work, but there ya go.

He just reported a tennis result from the US Open as 6-"nil", 6-2 on Morning Ireland.

Unforgivable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement