Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I have a family member working in U.C.D. They tried to remove staff parking privileges a couple of years ago, and there was mutiny. They threatened to go on strike, because free parking was an established perk of the job.

I've no doubt if they tried to take free parking from any workers in the public service, where parking is provided, there'd be a strike threatened.

They took free parking off staff in UCD over a year ago, although it's only €50 per year.

griffin100 wrote: »
    They took free parking off staff in UCD over a year ago, although it's only €50 per year.
    Oh believe me I am aware of that, I heard the cries of injustice first-hand.

They initially planned to charge a lot more, or even by the day, until the pamphlet circulation began, and SIPTU got involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Sooner this budget is over the better and we are freed from this deluge of pay demands from people in the various public services. It's so naked, predictable and self centred. There was someone bleating yesterday about services in disadvantaged areas of Tallaght etc., but their focus was firmly on resources to hire and pay staff, to give an outlet for educated professionals and so on, rather than the problems there. Consultants today. Defence forces tomorrow. Politicians next day no doubt. Same last year this time, put you off them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Jaysus that was some shíte show Sean had this morning - or the bit I heard of it anyway. A plug for a "cute" (as described by the owner) restaurant in Dublin, followed by an item on farmers demanding pre-nups. Fúckin hell. Local radio is better than this - which is why I switched over to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

serfboard wrote: »
    Jaysus that was some shíte show Sean had this morning - or the bit I heard of it anyway. A plug for a "cute" (as described by the owner) restaurant in Dublin, followed by an item on farmers demanding pre-nups. Fúckin hell. Local radio is better than this - which is why I switched over to it.

If that's the one out in Blackrock, expect it to be well populated by RTE types on jollies fairly soon.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

In fairness, that restaurant did just win a Michelin star and it's only opened a year. I'd consider it newsworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Christ, how low can radio shows stoop.

A roving reporter sent to gossip with the neighbours of two old men who were found dead. HOW is this "newsworthy"?

I'd expect better of Joe Duffy, never mind a serious morning news programme :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

in fairness its a fairly horrific story.

if i got it right one brother was carer to the other and when he died the lad that needed care was left on his tod to die alone before anyone else copped anything was up.

says alot about the state of our society now TBH. It wouldnt happen in me mas neighborhood as they all look out for each other but i can see it happening to me in mine.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

WTF, the guy talking about how he takes his heroin, "I find intravenously healthier".

Haha, literally in the middle of the courts interview while that woman was saying she'll NEVER, EVER buy a licence, my post arrived - including the notice for the TV licence :D

Re the current interview - is it ever possible to buy a book these days that hasn't been discussed to death on the radio? Feels like a complete spoiler for them, we'll have heard every single anecdote by the time we get around to buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm definitely going to read Paul O'Connell's book, what a great player and he's a good guy with it. He likes to spend some time surfing in Lahinch and he rescued someone from the water a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Pat doin a bit on dogs off their tits on magic mushrooms !

I can't stop laughing

:D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Haha, literally in the middle of the courts interview while that woman was saying she'll NEVER, EVER buy a licence, my post arrived - including the notice for the TV licence :D

Re the current interview - is it ever possible to buy a book these days that hasn't been discxussed to death on the radio? Feels like a complete spoiler for them, we'll have heard every single anecdote by the time we get around to buying it.

Those are the folk putting their hands in the taxpayers pockets.

The legislators should look at the deterrents, seems court and jail are not a bother to them.

Hit them where it hurts- in the pocket, deduct the licence fee from their benefits.

That the only thing which would soften their cough, and a lot less expensive.

The legislators should look at the deterrents, seems court and jail are not a bother to them.

Hit them where it hurts- in the pocket, deduct the licence fee from their benefits.

Much and all as I agree with you, that is just never going to happen. Sadly.

Much and all as I agree with you, that is just never going to happen. Sadly.

Why not, the current set up is a joke?

These people are laughing at those who are compliant.

Why should people who work hard and pay their way support those leetches?

We need to wake up here.

Why not, the current set up is a joke?

Agreed.

These people are laughing at those who are compliant.

Agreed.

Why should people who work hard and pay their way support those leetches?

Why indeed?

We need to wake up here.

But no amount of ranting and raving will make it happen, because it just never will. I am 100% certain of that. The excuse may be human rights or poverty or the administration costs, or any amount of other spurious causes - but it ain't gonna happen.

But no amount of ranting and raving will make it happen, because it just never will. I am 100% certain of that. The excuse may be human rights or poverty or the administration costs, or any amount of other spurious causes - but it ain't gonna happen.

Hmmm... I see your points but surely this stupid system shouldn't be allowed to continue.

We need to lobby our TDs to sort this crap out.

You're assuming that everyone who avoids paying their TV license is on benefits.

You're assuming that everyone who avoids paying their TV license is on benefits.

I'm not, but your point is valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

YES. She said she hates television. So why have one if that's the case.

I'm guessing she had a go at RTE but it was edited out.

• Advertisement

I wondered the same myself but then she said she had it for her kids.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm definitely going to read Paul O'Connell's book, what a great player and he's a good guy with it. He likes to spend some time surfing in Lahinch and he rescued someone from the water a few years back.
    I was very excited to hear about the book, but my heart sank when I discovered it is ghost-written by some other chap.

Fcuk sake. Paul O'Connell is an intelligent man, and I'm sure he's more than capable of putting into words his experiences and memories of an incredible career. We're not expecting Hemingway. We want the story, no sports fan will quibble about the style.

I have never read a ghostwritten book since I read Geri Halliwell's marvellous autobiography, so she alone will enjoy a monopoly on my bookshelves. Sorry Paul.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I wondered the same myself but then she said she had it for her kids.
    Then she should pay the licence. I do begrudgingly.

I'd bet it's at least 40 inches with HD. But she doesn't watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

sligojoek wrote: »

I'd bet it's at least 40 inches with HD. But she doesn't watch it.

and all the Sky channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Would RTE ever splash-out and get the Sean O'Rourke show a new theme tune? The old tinny, whiny thing just reminds of the woeful PK show. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I don't listen to Sean O'Rourke live, I go with the podcast. I've noticed of late that there has been an awful lot more fluff pieces on the feed and less by way of current affairs/hard politics. In particular there's an absolute plague of book launches being discussed.

Dropping of standards?

dulpit wrote: »
    I don't listen to Sean O'Rourke live, I go with the podcast. I've noticed of late that there has been an awful lot more fluff pieces on the feed and less by way of current affairs/hard politics. In particular there's an absolute plague of book launches being discussed.

Dropping of standards?
    That and Paddy O G's court reports. same thing day in day out.
    "I won't pay the fine and I'll go to jail for an hour." It's getting very stale.

That and Paddy O G's court reports. same thing day in day out.
    "I won't pay the fine and I'll go to jail for an hour." It's getting very stale.

Hmm. I like POG, let's a lad know how some of his his tax dollars are being 'shat out'

The looney left would like to sweep this stuff under the carpet, but serves a purpose, I say, serves a purpose.

Hmm. I like POG, let's a lad know how some of his his tax dollars are being 'shat out'

The looney left would like to sweep this stuff under the carpet, but serves a purpose, I say, serves a purpose.
    Fair enough, but it feels like groundhog day everyday. No variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

all the listener wants to know is how many he is taking into his home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Victoria White- the preachiest woman that ever drew breath.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Victoria White- the preachiest shriekiest woman that ever drew breath.

My poor hungover head after waking up to that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Just looked her up and her husband is Eamon Ryan.
    Preaching must be an expertise in that household.

Well, she has just said this on Twitter:
    I am worn out listening to myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

kazamo wrote: »
    Just looked her up and her husband is Eamon Ryan.
    Preaching must be an expertise in that household.

Indeed.

She's also the only parent in the country with an autistic child, at least that's the impression she gives when invited (or not) to hold court on the subject.

• Advertisement

I listened in work today, and all I could think was God help the kids that are left in her care every day. She has serious anger issues. She is just livid because she expects the Government to pay her for looking after her own kids.

She would want to wake up and realise that working parents are contributing to the public purse and deserve some kind of kick back. They are also providing employment to crèche staff.

I will be really disappointed with Zappone if she backs down to this lobby group looking to be paid to sit at home looking after their own kids.

For the record, my kids are teens now and I paid my full whack of crèche fees in my time, no subsidy. But I don't at all begrudge parents of younger kids getting this subsidy and I think its a very progressive move .

Just listening now and hearing that hypocrite Christie (teachers union)having his ass handed to him by Eddie Molloy.

These guys don't a fiddlers about the big picture ie the rest of the State, what they want of course is that they be sorted out and fork the rest of the stakeholders, they can have whatever is left over.

As Molloy said, the country cannot afford this to be conceded given the knock on effects.

These teachers are hypocrites of the highest order in my opinion who don't care about anyone apart from themselves.

Let's hope the Govt has the balls to stand up to them and call it as it is, like Eddie Molloy did this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

TD's 5K restoration yet the Govt shills have to cheek to lambast teachers.
    You couldn't make it up.

Ha ha, you're unbelievably predictable. So who do you think the government shill is this time?

And DOB and the government are in cahoots with each other also?

Ha ha, you're unbelievably predictable. So who do you think the government shill is this time?

And DOB and the government are in cahoots with each other also?

Yep and you know that too. Predictable as always yourself lol.

• Advertisement

I don't know why you think I'm predictable, I've never discussed Denis O'Brien before.

I don't know why you think I'm predictable, I've never discussed Denis O'Brien before.

You are a FG man for sure. Pro everything they suggest it seems.

seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

Christ, I woke up to Victoria White shrieking yesterday.

Today it was Eileen Battersby and Niall Stokes going hammer and tongs at each other about Bob Dylan getting the Nobel gong. He should've got it, he shouldn't have - he deserved it, he didn't - he's "literature", he's not. Seriously? He got the feckin' prize, get over it :mad:

Note to self - set radio to Lyric in future.

I thought Eileen was going to burst into tears there at one point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Let's see how many more euphemisms for "having a drink problem" that they can come up with.

Not listening. Was someone "fond of a drop"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Not listening. Was someone "fond of a drop"?

Think Morning Ireland interview when the country was going down the pan.

Speaking about Anthony Foley, Sean said that he came from "that tough part of Limerick".

Anthony Foley came from Killaloe. A town in Co. Clare devoid of a tough reputation AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Speaking about Anthony Foley, Sean said that he came from "that tough part of Limerick".

Anthony Foley came from Killaloe. A town in Co. Clare devoid of a tough reputation AFAIK.

Brian Boru spinning in his grave :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement