Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Would ya piss off Parlon, with yer cliched examples of Guards and Nurses. You'd swear the country was populated with over paid public servants. This lad has spent too long rubbing shoulders with the establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Would ya piss off Parlon, with yer cliched examples of Guards and Nurses. You'd swear the country was populated with over paid public servants. This lad has spent too long rubbing shoulders with the establishment.

Oh he's a hell of a lot closer than just rubbing shoulders :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Would ya piss off Parlon
    Tom Parlon is one person on my list of "switchover" personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

yer 1 this morning about rte outsourcing the kids tv production was pure cringe. shes been out of the place years and whining that ex staffers werent consulted on the outsourcing. rte produced ****e kids tv in the 80s and 90s coz there was no other production companies to do it, now a days the outsourced and bought in stuff is what gets the ratings for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

neris wrote: »
    yer 1 this morning about rte outsourcing the kids tv production was pure cringe. shes been out of the place years and whining that ex staffers werent consulted on the outsourcing. rte produced ****e kids tv in the 80s and 90s coz there was no other production companies to do it, now a days the outsourced and bought in stuff is what gets the ratings for them

Why would ex-staffers be consulted anyway? That absolutely beggars belief.

• Advertisement

Why would ex-staffers be consulted anyway? That absolutely beggars belief.

Who ķnows but shows you how cosseted they are in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

but where will the sons and daughters of the inmates get their big break now?

Who ķnows but shows you how cosseted they are in there

Oh very true. I had to laugh at D'arcy expounding his workplace relationships theory to Usain Bolt's manager yesterday, because there is no greater exponent of it than his own RTE, a veritable snake pit of nepotism and inbreeding.

but where will the sons and daughters of the inmates get their big break now?

I'm sure Joe Duffy cam sneak his 3 in hidden in one of his chins and no one will notice so they'll be grand and most of the others have their spawn in there anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sean doing a bit of groundwork for the return of Jonathan "Rachel" here I suspect.

• Advertisement

Mick Barry et al, still with their heads stuck firmly in the ground. High time for ordinary decent citizens to stand up and put these Me Féiners back in their box.

Mick Barry's condescending platitude towards the rural caller just makes your teeth grind. As if she can waft down to her local authority, protest outside the door and expect a free water system. What sort of f**king self serving bolloxology he comes out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Major mask slippage there from comrade Barry as regards people from rural areas who pay for water.

"Take it up with the government of the day"

That's the Looney Left in a nutshell, sh1t-stirring every gullible muppet into a frenzy and then sit back and bitch as someone else trys to sort it out.

I also note that "progressive taxation" has been replaced with "general taxation" as their method of payment.

Mick Barry et al, still with their heads stuck firmly in the ground. High time for ordinary decent citizens to stand up and put these Me Féiners back in their box.
    I only heard the first few minutes of this but I thought Sean and team performed fairly pooly in not having the figures to hand on how many people had paid the water charges - allowed Mick Barry to throw around numbers that Sean wasn't really able to dispute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

serfboard wrote: »
    I only heard the first few minutes of this but I thought Sean and team performed fairly pooly in not having the figures to hand on how many people had paid the water charges - allowed Mick Barry to throw around numbers that Sean wasn't really able to dispute.

Good call Serf.

Standard interview technique is to expect to be queried on numbers and have numbers ready if required.

That and a timeline.

Anyone who is phased by the 'how many' and 'when' questions hasn't really prepared too well.

Remember the poor Renua 'finance spokesman'

How people elect candidates like Barry always amazes me.

Standard interview technique is to expect to be queried on numbers and have numbers ready if required.

That and a timeline.

Anyone who is phased by the 'how many' and 'when' questions hasn't really prepared too well.

I actually think you're missing my point. Mick Barry did have numbers, and I don't think his numbers were false.

My point was that Sean didn't have the other numbers to oppose it.

To explain what I mean - Mick Barry gave the number who didn't pay the final bill. Ah, says Sean, but that was when people knew that charges were being suspended and so they didn't bother.

Alright says Mick - but X thousand never paid any bill at all. At this point, Sean should have been able to say, yes, but Y thousand did. However, he couldn't because he didn't have those numbers to hand.

Fair enough, you might say, it would have been the responsibility of someone from either Fine Gael or Irish Water to have those numbers - if they were on. So, why weren't they?

serfboard wrote: »
    I actually think you're missing my point. Mick Barry did have numbers, and I don't think his numbers were false.

My point was that Sean didn't have the other numbers to oppose it.

To explain what I mean - Mick Barry gave the number who didn't pay the final bill. Ah, says Sean, but that was when people knew that charges were being suspended and so they didn't bother.

Alright says Mick - but X thousand never paid any bill at all. At this point, Sean should have been able to say, yes, but Y thousand did. However, he couldn't because he didn't have those numbers to hand.

Fair enough, you might say, it would have been the responsibility of someone from either Fine Gael or Irish Water to have those numbers - if they were on. So, why weren't they?

Sorry Serf, I did indeed get your point,but didn't make that clear in the post.

The reason I referred to standard interview technique was that SEAN, not Mick should have had the numbers to rebut Barrys numbers.

In other words in these situations bothe the interviewer and the interviewee need their numbers ready or otherwise they haven't prepared well.

Hope that makes sense.

I can see how you thought I was referring to Barry.

Soz.

SEAN, not Mick should have had the numbers
    Ah OK. Agreed.

I still think they also should have had an Irish Water/FG person on to give an opposing point of view, since I presume FF are in hiding on this issue ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Mick Barry is some wreck-the-head. Gutted he's one of my TDs, he's a bloody professional politician. I like how he basically told the rural folk to suck it up, easy to see he's not relying on any of their votes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭bossdrum

I don't see what rural dwellers have to with paying for water. Most people sink their own wells, I did it myself.

Rural people knew that when they decided to live in the countryside.
    Urban dwellers were used to free water and that's why they are complaining.
    You can't compare the two.
    If you are going to treat everyone the same then should every rural house have street lighting provided outside their house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

bossdrum wrote: »
    I don't see what rural dwellers have to with paying for water. Most people sink their own wells, I did it myself.

Rural people knew that when they decided to live in the countryside.
    Urban dwellers were used to free water and that's why they are complaining.
    You can't compare the two.
    If you are going to treat everyone the same then should every rural house have street lighting provided outside their house?

As a rural dweller, I agree you have a point. However, if the water is to be paid for out of general taxation, then, given what's needed, then we in rural Ireland, who have paid for our own water already, will be helping to pay for the dubs water, and their buses and trains and cycle lanes etc.
    It's like everything else in this country, until it's a problem in Dublin, then it's not a problem

Alan Kelly:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

And Brendan Ogle.

Pair of ......s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

sligojoek wrote: »
    And Brendan Ogle.

I flicked over to listen to the rather more tolerable conversation about the horror in Syria over that smarmy lying little bollox.

so Kelly was on the phone outside the studio:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Kelly the snivelling bollix. Still talking get down to us. C___.

"I'm not a hypocrite '. So he a liar And a hypocrite...

Uhmmmmm........ Lot of anger building up here, lads in the control room starting to reach for the pockets I would opine...

Ummmmm..........

Sssssshteady there Mr O.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Brendan Ogle is some pain in the neck (listening to that now via podcast). All bluster, Sean was getting quite irate... :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

Good call Serf.

That and a timeline.

Shouldn't really Brendan...the Scobies continually elect Ml.Wallace..plenty of other examples of electoral sillyness.....

Shouldn't really Brendan...the Scobies continually elect Ml.Wallace..plenty of other examples of electoral sillyness.....

Good point Patrick, there's no knowing what some of them are thinking.

It's like the guy i was talking to a few months back who was sneering at the kerry people who vote the healy raes in while himself being an unapologetic michael lowry supporter. There is a similar anti-establishment principle at play in these instances as in the recent US presidential election. The more they see people sneering at them above in the big city, the more trenchant they become in support of their local heroes. Expect this trend to widen in the coming years as the urban/rural divide and resentment towards the "establishment" intensifies.

ugh water... again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

It's like the guy i was talking to a few months back who was sneering at the kerry people who vote the healy raes in while himself being an unapologetic michael lowry supporter. There is a similar anti-establishment principle at play in these instances as in the recent US presidential election. The more they see people sneering at them above in the big city, the more trenchant they become in support of their local heroes. Expect this trend to widen in the coming years as the urban/rural divide and resentment towards the "establishment" intensifies.

It's the old "he's a gobsh1te but he's our gobsh1te" :)

Good points,Joe, however I would suggest that the rural/urban divide wouldn't be that big of an issue.

Resentment towards the establishment is a much bigger player and that will definitely increase in the coming years when those who are in the resentment camp see the power of the ballot box and when stoked up by opportunists like Murphy and Co.

• Advertisement

Good points,Joe, however I would suggest that the rural/urban divide wouldn't be that big of an issue.

Resentment towards the establishment is a much bigger player and that will definitely increase in the coming years when those who are in the resentment camp see the power of the ballot box and when stoked up by opportunists like Murphy and Co.

alot of people are going towards the resentment camp and not just the ones whod vote for the likes of murphy or the shinners. alot of the middle classes are getting fed up with the establishment aswell and are waking up to the fact that theyre the ones that are really getting shafted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

alot of people are going towards the resentment camp and not just the ones whod vote for the likes of murphy or the shinners. alot of the middle classes are getting fed up with the establishment aswell and are waking up to the fact that theyre the ones that are really getting shafted

Could not disagree with that poster !

Unfortunately voting for the likes of Murphy /Daly or The Shinners will result in the shafting being significantly increased for this cohort.

Which is why a lot of the so called professional classes are upping sticks to Canada /OZ/Dubai etc.

Of course it's shocking what is happening with the INM pensions, and sickening that the company fat cats are filling their pockets at the expense of former workers, but why is this only a story when it happens to journalists who are able to call on their friends in the media for publicity or, in some cases, use their own columns to bemoan their lot? What about the other companies where this is happening and the other workers who have lost just as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Journalists cribbing about their pensions going banjaxed! When it was ordinary peoples pensions that went kaput a few years ago not one journalist in this country gave 2 f**ks.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Journalists cribbing about their pensions going banjaxed! When it was ordinary peoples pensions that went kaput a few years ago not one journalist in this country gave 2 f**ks.

And our good friend Michael D, facilitated that.

• Advertisement

Bus Eireann - another deluded public utility run by overpaid, inefficient and lazy management. Take the main Dublin-Cork bus - it doesn't stop in Portlaoise, a significant town on the route. How f***king stupid is that??? They haven't the brains of a bird between them.

Just like An Post moaning about falling business - when they are closing the offices where you can actually post and raising prices every few months. Fire them all.

The 'Truth Recovery Process' - there's a new one on me! Sinn Féin - masters of obfuscation, spin and waffle.

The 'Truth Recovery Process' - there's a new one on me! Sinn Féin - masters of obfuscation, spin and waffle.

This lying IRA sympathiser is boiling my piss. Adams has blood on his hands and all his followers are afraid to say so.

He must have said the "Truth Recovery Process" at least 40 times.

I know MLOD is prone to flights of fancy, but did you ever such f***king drivel as this morning?

"The trees cannot move", "the trees were like young schoolgirls with their skirts to the ground" (awaiting the chainsaw), "like ballet dancers" etc etc. "Ooh, Ahh" etc.

I'm all for a bit of descriptive language but there are limits.

He did indeed - it was like a mantra, must have been 'beaten' into him.

In fairness, SF/IRA are fully committed to the truth recovery process.*

*As long as it is their truth being told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

He was the exact same on Newstalk yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

plenty of practice, 40+ years of it

but unfortunately a significant bulk of the population are either taken in by it or ambivalent to it

Can't believe what I'm hearing from this Garda rep - their argument that they are poorly paid exploited public servants with low morale has been completely exposed by Horgan's report. Effective annual earnings of €100K when you take the cost of their pensions into account. If this is anyway indicative of the rest of the PS, maybe we do need to tear up the system and start again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement