Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Couldn't agree more with that chap when he says that public service wages and pensions need to be looked at very seriously. Horgan has a very good point when he says that striking Gardai should lose some pension entitlements and that's an idea that could well be extended to other essential public services. Enough of being held to ransom.

Frances Fitzgerald may be off in Greece or wherever but I think she's out of touch with public opinion on this one.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Couldn't agree more with that chap when he says that public service wages and pensions need to be looked at very seriously. Horgan has a very good point when he says that striking Gardai should lose some pension entitlements and that's an idea that could well be extended to other essential public services. Enough of being held to ransom.

Frances Fitzgerald may be off in Greece or wherever but I think she's out of touch with public opinion on this one.................

On listening to that lad, looks we were royally conned by the Force.

I would agree that all these legacy pension arrangements be looked at from an affordability viewpoint.

Lot of this stuff is not relevant in 2016, like the travel days which were only gotten rid of not long ago.

Time to wake up folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

only caught the 1st 5 minutes of sean today but i thought the letter in the times he read out was quite good about the gardai retiring at 50 living to mid 80s and living of a garda pension for longer then they actually worked.

neris wrote: »
    only caught the 1st 5 minutes of sean today but i thought the letter in the times he read out was quite good about the gardai retiring at 50 living to mid 80s and living of a garda pension for longer then they actually worked.

That's providing as quite a lot of them do, get other jobs after 'retiring' on index linked pensions.

Whole area of PS pensions needs URGENT re-organisation before they break the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I am currently looking for something to listen to during the day. Giving SOR a try at the moment. Can anyone tell me what is the benefit of the Family courts report. Where is the public interest broadcasting in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I am currently looking for something to listen to during the day. Giving SOR a try at the moment. Can anyone tell me what is the benefit of the Family courts report. Where is the public interest broadcasting in that.
    It's almost as important as Paddy O Gorman trawling the graveyards and courthouses of the country looking for misery.

sligojoek wrote: »
    It's almost as important as Paddy O Gorman trawling the graveyards and courthouses of the country looking for misery.

Id call it reality myself, shining a little torch under the slates to show us what is really going on, and not the spin of the current bunch of lefties in the Dail like to promulgate.

Can be very informative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

On listening to that lad, looks we were royally conned by the Force.

I would agree that all these legacy pension arrangements be looked at from an affordability viewpoint.

Lot of this stuff is not relevant in 2016, like the travel days which were only gotten rid of not long ago.

Time to wake up folks.

Clean head shot there Brendan.....lavish pensions by any standard...still an unsustainable amount of trained gardai licking pencils behind desks ,,,Time to winkle these drones out now that their union has bullied the taxpayer into an even bigger pay out.
    Earn you money lads ....

Sad story from the courts re house repossession - but why doesn't that woman seek help from her family if she's under that much stress? Seems crazy to be as worried as that and not let on to your siblings/ parents that you're in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Sad story from the courts re house repossession - but why doesn't that woman seek help from her family if she's under that much stress? Seems crazy to be as worried as that and not let on to your siblings/ parents that you're in trouble.
    Very sad story, she seemed to be doing her best to meet her commitments.

As for asking for help..... you're presuming that she has a supportive family. They mightn't want to know or they may be struggling to make ends meet themselves.

The other thing is pride prevents some people from approaching family and friends when they're in financial difficulties.

Hmm...... listening in on today's show and wonder did RTE really try to produce the dullest, most lifeless, most monotonous delivery,most disinterested and most robotic presenter to replace SO'R.

Give them 8/10 for success there......

Squeeeeeeeeeelcccch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Who is she? Heard a bit of Berlin and Turkey stuff with Tom "I was in the lebannon" clonnan and I think insomnia has a cure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's Kayteeeee Hannon, finally getting her big break after about 20 years in the montrose shadows. She's the political equivalent of Kathryn Thomas, just there really, hovering away in the background, keeping the gender imbalance in check if not a whole lot else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

lads its the "finucane factor"

last time she fecked off on holliers for weeks on end and got someone better than her to take over she took a 50% pay cut !

Sean aint risking that so yer getting miss "competent but dull" instead.

:D

Journalists being wise after the Trump event :(

• Advertisement

Paschal gave a very sure footed performance there, ably dealt with O'Rourke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Paschal gave a very sure footed performance there, ably dealt with O'Rourke.

Sleep inducing more like. A leader needs to inspire. Paschal though must be the most boring man on the planet but has quite a right wing agenda.

clunked wrote: »
    Sleep inducing more like. A leader needs to inspire. Paschal though must be the most boring man on the planet but has quite a right wing agenda.

Hmmm..... I'd always like to be able to sleep soundly knowing that safe hands, not some mad gimp has his or her paw on the tiller, like what happened in Greece and about to happen in the US.

I'll take boring any day over that.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Hmmm..... I'd always like to be able to sleep soundly knowing that safe hands, not some mad gimp has his or her paw on the tiller, like what happened in Greece and about to happen in the US.

I'll take boring any day over that.:cool:

Wouldn't have put him down as a mad gimp either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Something very strange about that woman yesterday with the mortgage arrears problem. Sure it's an awful situation, but people giving her donations won't solve the problem - will it? The fundamental issue is that she can't afford the monthly repayments, so arrears will start building up again, right?

Also, I have a problem with how she's getting sympathy/donations because she spoke on the radio, what about other people? And what about the husband/partner she bought house with (I think that's what she said Monday...)???

• Advertisement

Rather poor interview from Sean with the Navy lads. Happy clappy stuff and lets pat ourselves on the back. No questions as to the gender breakdown of the refugees or their countries of origin. Well I didn't hear them anyway. Poor public broadcasting IMVHO.

Safeguarding?? Sounds like just more intrusion by the state into the private lives of citizens. There was a chap on Duffy's show a while back and he was finding it very difficult to deal with handling his mother's modest pension, as she was in a nursing home. And this premises presumably with backing of HSE was guarding her pension like a hawk. So much so that he needed to fund her few bob a week himself so as to preserve her dignity. Has to be a balance in all these matters and the balance should be towards the family and not the state/ business interests with their eyes on old peoples savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Rather poor interview from Sean with the Navy lads. Happy clappy stuff and lets pat ourselves on the back. No questions as to the gender breakdown of the refugees or their countries of origin. Well I didn't hear them anyway. Poor public broadcasting IMVHO.
    "We can't rescue you from the sinking boat, because we have exceeded the quota for male Eritreans. We'll take the women."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

This guy doing "funny" voices is absolutely bombing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bring back the normal, depressing, current affairs reporting shows.

This stuff is just cringe (well, the 10 seconds I lasted listening was)

Pat Kenny talking about De Weather and babies.

Even Lyric is gone mad this weather.

Nothing to listen to :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

ANOTHER GUY DOING FUNNY VOICES!?!?

Irish comedy is such utter twaddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

lawlolawl wrote: »
    ANOTHER GUY DOING FUNNY VOICES!?!? Irish comedy is such utter twaddle.

The level of Irish comedy is terrible. All falling back on hackneyed old Irish stereotypes of the irish mammy and "leaving on the immersion".

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Bring back the normal, depressing, current affairs reporting shows.

This stuff is just cringe (well, the 10 seconds I lasted listening was)

Pat Kenny talking about De Weather and babies.

Even Lyric is gone mad this weather.

Nothing to listen to :mad:

You ain't heard nothing yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You ain't heard nothing yet!!
    And I'm continuing to hear nothing - silence reigns in my house this morning :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And I'm continuing to hear nothing - silence reigns in my house this morning :D

Might follow your example:cool:

• Advertisement

Sean's really earning his crust today. "So Kelly, it's a question of taking one fight at a time, if that's not too much of a cliche?"

"Marty, I'd say you're a real Christmas sort of guy?"

Tis truly the season to forget about professional broadcasting standards and serve up any oul guff.

How many times have they gone to speak to somebody only to realise they dont have a mic.. You'd swear it was their first broadcast
    Tis truly the season to forget about professional broadcasting standards and serve up any oul guff.

As creepy Brendan Keenan reads out a Christmas poem, and NT give us their usual "Angela Merkel good, Donald Trump" narrative.

Nice subtle dig from Ronan Collins on the changeover there, wondering if it wasn't a bit early for Sean to be knocking off for the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

Nice subtle dig from Ronan Collins on the changeover there, wondering if it wasn't a bit early for Sean to be knocking off for the year.

Lookit ! ALL the RTE A Listers will be off till the New year..absolute disgrace !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

God the stand in for Sean couldn't hide her disgust at brexit !

Near half hour of mewling about it off 3 luvvies that don't have a breeze.

Nice to see RTEs learned nothing.

God the stand in for Sean couldn't hide her disgust at brexit ! Near half hour of mewling about it off 3 luvvies that don't have a breeze.

Katie Hannon again. Yeah I was thinking the exact same. The same narrative - It was racists, as obviously no clever person would have voted for BREXIT. And it's funny that these journalists should comment on how the Irish emigrants didn't appreciate Enda Kenny telling them how to vote (i.e. to stay in EU), yet still don't realise that one of the motivating factors for the No vote was that people didn't like being told what to do by the media themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

yet still don't realise that one of the motivating factors for the No vote was that people didn't like being told what to do by the media themselves.

The majority of the UK print media - The Telegraph, The Mail, The Sun and The Express have been anti-The EU for decades and were pro-brexit. Broadcasters were governed by Ofcom rules which meant they had to give both the Leave and Remain camps equal airtime. So this notion of "the media" telling people what to do was just not case.

Is there anything Fiona Looney isn't an expert on?

RTE's New Year countdown on TV was the most depressing bit of television I've watched for a while. I think they should consider letting Marty Morrissey (and Oliver Callen) present it next year, at least Marty is upbeat and knows how to party.

apbdw2h-752x501.jpg

• Advertisement

Is there anything Fiona Looney isn't an expert on?

And don't forget, Joe.. Kerry are a 'wounded animal'.
    Marty, who actually knows something about sport, must have been cringing at her every cliché. I, on the other hand, had the choice to switch off. And did.

I was looking for the Ronan Collins thread so I could say how much I'm enjoying Shay Byrne :o It turns out that the last time there was a dedicated RC thread was about two years ago :eek:....that's not good.

Anyway, RTE can we have more Shay Byrne please?

#SorryRonan
    #FeelingGuiltyNow

And don't forget, Joe.. Kerry are a 'wounded animal'.
    Marty, who actually knows something about sport, must have been cringing at her every cliché. I, on the other hand, had the choice to switch off. And did.

A sports "fanatic" who turned out to have no interest in half the sports he asked her about.

I was looking for the Ronan Collins thread so I could say how much I'm enjoying Shay Byrne :o It turns out that the last time there was a dedicated RC thread was about two years ago :eek:....that's not good.

#SorryRonan
    #FeelingGuiltyNow

I do quite like Shay but have to admit it took me quite some time to adjust to that monumental level of chirpiness in the mornings. His music choices are a bit safe, though, but then again, I've yet to hear him play The Conquerors!

One thing though: RTE should fix it that Shay and Des Cahill never come together in any capacity on air. Their early am "exchanges" are so bad they are beyond cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

#SorryRonan
    #FeelingGuiltyNow

I think he's a decent presenter, but his taste in music is even worse than Ronan Collins. He plays some truly awful stuff on Rising Time.

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo not a morning person so couldn't cope with chirpy at 6am, Shay is better suited to this time of day.

• Advertisement

Neil seems to have softened his opinions on Trump ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Neil seems to have softened his opinions on Trump ?

Was that the lad talking about the new ambassador? Was almost sickening how he was fawning over him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ooh this guy saying a pound a week weightloss is grand won't please the producers of the ridiculous Operation Transformation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If there is a bad deal going we will take it

we are screwed listening to this:mad:

Another hit piece on Trump...

He uses the word "I" a lot, same as 99% of people in the world.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement